Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

I think I’m channeling all my energy into delight for Charles, rather than Max and his woes. I don’t mind eating crow about picking Carlos in the Ferrari head to head, although I never doubted Leclerc’s ability. He’s had some stupendously bad luck in the past and I genuinely felt he deserved more wins than he had.

Now it seems Ferrari are on top of it (one car anyway) and have given Charles the hardware and leadership he needs to take the next step. I couldn’t be happier for him.

Max is Max and I don’t mind seeing Red Bull struggle. Hopefully Checo reaps the benefits of one side of the garage being in turmoil. Red Bull doesn’t stay down for long, though, and Max is a top 2 driver so he’ll get his poles and wins where he can.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 1:26 AM, elfenix said:

The rule is stupid if the rule is that you have to come in to switch tires even though you've made them last the whole race. Albon should be able to sit right there if he wants.

Yep. There should be no tire change mandate. You should be allowed to use as few or as many tires as you want, and even different compounds front to rear. Let 'em mix shit up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Because race stewards are nothing if not inconsistent. This is the exact scenario they emphasized would be penalized in the rules this year, and the first chance they get to enforce it, they say no further investigation necessary. Unfuckingreal. That should be a penalty every single time. If Bottas doesn’t move off the track entirely, then Stroll hits him and Stroll definitely gets a penalty at that point, so why force Bottas to get hit in order for that conduct to be punished? So stupid. 

Also fuck Lance Stroll. He’s a whiny bitch who still hasn’t learned to check his mirrors in 6 years of daddy paying for him to be in F1 and yells I got hit every time he drives in to people. 

The problem is that the RD has committed to trying to get that enforced, but all he can really do during the race is submit the infraction to the stewards, who make the decision. And of course, the stewards are different at every race., Thus the lack of consistency. I've been saying for years that it's a stupid system that needs to be changed.

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone else find Max much more likable this year?  I think he was under tremendous pressure last year even though he repeatedly denied it.

I like him as much as I like any of the others. He does seem pretty chill most of the time, imho, which I appreciate. No doubt in my mind he'd be a helluva lot easier to hang with than Lewis, for one.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Some detail on what happened to Carlos:

Fernando Alonso’s Q3 accident brought the red flags out just as Sainz was about to cross the line for what would have been a decent grid position. Instead, he started ninth and as such opted to fit the hard tyre, which was desperately difficult to bring up to temperature, giving him a terrible start exacerbated by an electrical problem with the steering wheel a few minutes before the start.

It was replaced on the grid by a spare that didn’t have the pre-settings in it, contributing to the anti-stall being triggered. Struggling with cold tyres in the lower half of the pack, he spun into the Turn 9-10 gravel on the second lap.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hughes-why-red-bull-looked-so-meagre-in-australian-gp/

• Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 7:13 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

Some friends of mine talked me into joining their fantasy league at the F1 website and after three races I just have to say that Aston Martin is killing me. I picked Sebastian as my fifth guy and they are destroying me.

i laughed my way to the bank with KMAG in my last slot when he became a 1:1 trade for Mazepin and was the cheapest on the grid

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, G650 said:
I saw that lol. Of course the Aston is slower than a fucking Mercedes GT, I don't know why this is being debated.

Whether the AM is fast enough seems to be the debate. Drivers wanna go fast.

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah, it’s slower than the regular AMG GT that Merc had used up until this year too, which is the issue (they use the Black Series, now).

The other thing to be noted is there are a lot of different speed limits enforced by race control depending on the situation, regardless of the drivers whining about speed because they want warmer tires, it's not just as fast as the safety car can go.

In this case though the Vantage was maxed out, so they probably need to look at which tracks get which cars. If it was say Monaco then it wouldn't make any difference.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, elfenix said:

sounds like aston needs to order the hi-po engine from amg to stuff into the safety car. 

Eh, they actually have that if they want. It's the chassis that is maxed. I mean, if Aston really want speed they need to put something other than the low end Grand Touring road car out there. At the end of the day, the safety car is just a mobile billboard.

2 hours ago, wood said:

Just read that Alpine is moving up their 2nd floor upgrade from Miami to Imola. One car only. Supposed to be a 'pretty nice' upgrade. Development this year is frantic.

Pissed for them with the “updated” floor rules allowed for other teams, but overtime I think F1 had no choice. 

F1 has moved to a model for the sport that basically has them build cars they are only allowed to drive on race weekends. The majority of the development is on computer or a 60% scale wind tunnel testing. 

The wind tunnels failed to recreate the porpoising issue. Had teams been allowed real world testing during development, it would have been immediately discovered and addressed. 

Their rules and restrictions caused the issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Pissed for them with the “updated” floor rules allowed for other teams, but overtime I think F1 had no choice. 

F1 has moved to a model for the sport that basically has them build cars they are only allowed to drive on race weekends. The majority of the development is on computer or a 60% scale wind tunnel testing. 

The wind tunnels failed to recreate the porpoising issue. Had teams been allowed real world testing during development, it would have been immediately discovered and addressed. 

Their rules and restrictions caused the issue. 

I agree testing, esp in-season testing, should return in some form. It got banned because of the cost. Maybe with the new cost cap they could allow it again and let the teams decide how to allocate their design/development money. It could help improve driving standards as well, since nobody gets much seat time in an F1 car any more before they land a seat of their own and start racing full time (unless your bazillionaire daddy can pay for a testing team and multiple tests in previous year F1 cars, as Stroll did). With more testing, they could develop young drivers better, like they used to do.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Looks like Fuck Bobby Epstein is still up to his old tricks. From what I've heard from people in Miami who know, he was the catalyst ($$$) behind the original opposition groups in Miami and Miami Gardens, just like he was here with MLS.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-gardens/article260376842.html

Edited by wood

Just now, PittsburghTiger said:

That kind of kills it for me. That's still football season. Shit.

Ha!  Well the USGP at COTA is during football season as well, so I suppose I'm used to it.  In fact, I've missed a few  UT home games over the years, due to being out at COTA on the Saturday of the race weekend.

Of course, that's all occurred during the horror that is the past decade of Texas football, so I haven't missed much.  I'm pretty sure they've all been losses.

In fact, the OT loss against OkState was one of them, we were watching in the biergarten tent with a bunch of Ozzie dudes who were on a month-long walkabout and just happened to plan their week in Austin at the same time as the race so they decided to attend the Saturday sessions.  A group of about 20 Longhorns  were so into the game, that they got into it, too, and were cheering and buying rounds with us.  But then when it ended abruptly in OT we all sort of just stopped cheering and got ready to go watch the next practice session of whatever was coming up, and they were confused.  They were like, "What happened, is that it???"  

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Interesting that Szafnauer is complaining, given how Tracing Point "developed" the Pink Merc in 2020.

TBF, I don't think that was really up to him. That was big Stroll's baby, and Ottmar got away from him as soon as he could find a landing spot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Looks like we’re going to have a we qualifying with a chance of wet sprint and wet race. It will be interesting to see how teams set up their cars since they’ll be locked in starting Friday with changeable  conditions all weekend. 

With a sprint race on Saturday, I wouldn't go all-in on a wet setup for Qualifying on Friday.

2 hours ago, wood said:

With a sprint race on Saturday, I wouldn't go all-in on a wet setup for Qualifying on Friday.

Definitely, unless you're Williams or AMR, and then it might be worth it to go for a wet setup and hope you can qualify well and then get lucky with more rain for the sprint and actual race to steal some points.  If it doesn't work, you can always break parc ferme before the race and switch to a dry setup and start maybe 3 spots back from where you'd normally be. 

Can someone please let a newbie (thanks DTS!) if I have the Sprint stuff right for this weekend's race?

1.  Qualis are on Friday, and the winner of the quali starts first in the Sprint on Saturday?

2.  The winner of the quali gets pole position for the Grand Prix on Sunday, even if they don't win the Sprint?

3.  Points in the Sprint go towards overall driver and constructors cup?

Thanks for any corrections on this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Can someone please let a newbie (thanks DTS!) if I have the Sprint stuff right for this weekend's race?

1.  Qualis are on Friday, and the winner of the quali starts first in the Sprint on Saturday?

2.  The winner of the quali gets pole position for the Grand Prix on Sunday, even if they don't win the Sprint?

of course!

• quali for sprint grid is friday with sprint on sat
  • pole for the race on sunday is based on sprint finishing
  • yes, sprint points go towards both WDC and WCC

shamelessly stolen from reddit:

zadskwtenou81.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

46 minutes ago, NoName said:

of course!

• quali for sprint grid is friday with sprint on sat
  • pole for the race on sunday is based on sprint finishing
  • yes, sprint points go towards both WDC and WCC

shamelessly stolen from reddit:

zadskwtenou81.jpg

The really confusing part about sprints is that they changed the meaning of pole position. The pole winner is who qualifies fastest on Friday, even if they lose spots on Saturday and therefore don't start one pole for the real race on Sunday. So this season could be the first time in history someone wins pole but doesn't actually start on pole without a penalty or DNS. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Apparently I’m in the minority, but I like that change. Qualifying and racing are two different things, so recognizing the person that goes fastest in that format is the correct move, I think.

I of course abhor the sprint race in its current format anyway, so if we were to remove its affiliation with the race starting grid, that would make it better.

• Like 1

ESPN broadcast plan for this weekend.  All live sporting events are on ESPN/2 so folks that have those but don't have ESPNews (like me) are looking good to be able to see all of the broadcasts.

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix

(All Times Eastern)

Practice 1 - Friday, April 22 - 7.25AM - ESPN2
Qualifying - Friday, April 22 - 10.55AM - ESPN2

Practice 2 - Saturday, April 23 - 6.25AM - ESPN2
Sprint Qualifying - Saturday, April 23 - 12.25PM - ESPN

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Sunday, April 24 - 8.55AM - ESPN

Post-race show - Sunday, April 24 - 11AM - ESPN3

Race (re-air) - Sunday, April 24 - 2PM - ESPNEWS
Race (re-air) - Sunday, April 24 - 10PM - ESPNEWS

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Apparently I’m in the minority, but I like that change. Qualifying and racing are two different things, so recognizing the person that goes fastest in that format is the correct move, I think.

I of course abhor the sprint race in its current format anyway, so if we were to remove its affiliation with the race starting grid, that would make it better.

I'm with you on liking the change. The pole winner should be the fastest in qualifying, it's just now extremely confusing from a terminology standpoint, mainly because sprint races are dumb...especially at Imola. 

• Like 1