Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

I bet being among that crowd was amazing during that
Big collective groan. I think the tifosi are used to being kicked in the nuts after 15 years of futility.

People started heading for the trackside gates just afterward. But they might have done that anyway bc the track was full of fans at the podium.

A lot more pics on my big camera. Phone takes great photos but it doesn't have the reach of a proper camera.

e700c7f762c15ca084ac2bba91a52298.jpg1d333741384114856e6a25c76ede9abb.jpg44dfa7b4242bd148f4f6220dc6e476e6.jpge240bcc3f2b3ec5c153bc59c6118f5f9.jpg19b24a96b2e36c8850b6a9b5e5895693.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Announcers tiptoeing around the fact that right now, in this car, Russell is outdriving Hamilton. I think it was Rosberg that called it out then the others quickly moved on to something else. 

That race where Russell was in the Mercedes showed me that George was the real deal and also that Mercedes was just too dominant.

That is why I still put Fangio, Senna & Schumacher in front of Hamilton for all-time greatest driver.

I've just always thought the Mercedes had too much of an advantage.

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That race where Russell was in the Mercedes showed me that George was the real deal and also that Mercedes was just too dominant.

That is why I still put Fangio, Senna & Schumacher in front of Hamilton for all-time greatest driver.

I've just always thought the Mercedes had too much of an advantage.

Hamilton is definitely an all-time great but yes, he's the one who stayed with the clearly best car throughout the previous formula. With these new regulations I'm sure he will eventually figure out how to get more out of the car, but if this lasts much longer then it's completely valid to reconsider how much was Hamilton and how much was the car over the last 9 seasons. Russell has been top 5 at each 2022 race and today figured out how to pass without DRS at Imola while Hamilton never got it done. Russell moved up 7 places from his starting position today (5 if you don't count the two retirements who started ahead of him) while Hamilton moved up 1 (dropped 1 spot without retirements). The one spot he gained was a rightful pit stop pass because Ocon shouldn't have been released of course. But it wasn't on track.

45 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Hamilton is definitely an all-time great but yes, he's the one who stayed with the clearly best car throughout the previous formula. With these new regulations I'm sure he will eventually figure out how to get more out of the car, but if this lasts much longer then it's completely valid to reconsider how much was Hamilton and how much was the car over the last 9 seasons. Russell has been top 5 at each 2022 race and today figured out how to pass without DRS at Imola while Hamilton never got it done. Russell moved up 7 places from his starting position today (5 if you don't count the two retirements who started ahead of him) while Hamilton moved up 1 (dropped 1 spot without retirements). The one spot he gained was a rightful pit stop pass because Ocon shouldn't have been released of course. But it wasn't on track.

27 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^

Hamilton kind of had an excuse in the first half of the race, being the caboose  of a DRS train but with no DRS. The 2nd half, not so much. 

I saw where Toto said that the car Mercedes has now is not worthy of Hamilton as its driver.

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Announcers tiptoeing around the fact that right now, in this car, Russell is outdriving Hamilton. I think it was Rosberg that called it out then the others quickly moved on to something else. 

I noticed that, too. Nico was quick to redirect Crofty’s “oh pooooor Lewis” to “look at George driving a great race in the same car.”

• Like 1

I just want to say I am not hating on Hamilton. I just was mostly against the car being so far advanced compared to the rest of the field. And, I usually root for the driver because of nationality. That's why I was a Schumacher & Vettel fan and am now a Mick Schumacher fan. I didn't hate Rosberg because he was German.

That's also why I am struggling with Russell and Norris. I don't generally root for anyone, or any team, from Great Britain.

Although, I was 100,000,000% against The Silver Arrows being black. A Silver Arrow is SILVER.

I'm almost as pissed about Alpine "wearing" that stupid pink for the first part of the season. The French colors are not pink.

Yeah, it's not hating on Hamilton. Wolff's comments today were pretty humorous, though. It sounded like a lot of excuse-making for him and then the obvious follow-up questions about Russell doing much better in the same car were asked and Wolff basically said "oh yeah, great job by George" when he realized he'd talked himself into a bit of a corner.

I don't consider it a knock on Hamilton for the world to realize that he wasn't actually that much better a driver than everyone else. Wolff basically admitted today that to challenge for the title Hamilton requires a car that is at least roughly the best car in the field. You know, like every other driver out there needs. That doesn't change the fact that Hamilton is in the group of drivers who would be able to then take that car and win a title with it while most of them aren't in that group.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Time for Ferrari to give us that next level of engine power they alluded to after Bahrain. 

And some upgrades. They're supposed to have a new floor that is lighter and helps with porpoising plus a new diffuser that reduces drag. Ferrari is also working on a new rear suspsension to eliminate propoising but that will still be a little while. I really hope their next upgrades work. If not, RB is likely going to pull away in the development war. 

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

lol sainz cant catch a break even with a fishing net

Alonso either. It's like the Spaniards had bullseyes on 'em going into that chicane.

I'm also starting to suspect the Mick experiment is nearing completion. 

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

He hit the curb and because it was wet it skipped him sideways. Sucked for him and Sainz.

Looked to me like there was oversteer and when he corrected it, that took him right into Sainz, which is why he got no penalty, and because lap 1. Sucks for both, and for Alonso, getting hit right after that by Mick. Neither Sainz nor Alonso did anything wrong, and were immediately done.

12 hours ago, wood said:

I'm also starting to suspect the Mick experiment is nearing completion. 

Yeah, I am starting to feel this way, but he's a nice kid and has the family heritage. Probably buys him some time. He doesn't have the worst driver as a teammate and the Haas isn't trash anymore either, so that ain't helping. 

29 minutes ago, faps said:

Yeah, I am starting to feel this way, but he's a nice kid and has the family heritage. Probably buys him some time. He doesn't have the worst driver as a teammate and the Haas isn't trash anymore either, so that ain't helping. 

Yep. He definitely seems like a good kid. It was easy to hide his mistakes last year with little Nikita in the other seat.

Pretty sure Latifi needs to go now, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, faps said:

2 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. He definitely seems like a good kid. It was easy to hide his mistakes last year with little Nikita in the other seat.

Pretty sure Latifi needs to go now, too.

It's crazy to think how different the narrative around Haas would be if they still had Mick and Nikita. Haas would have 0 points instead of 15. I think teams are going to start changing their cost/benefit analysis on pay drivers now that F1 is growing so rapidly.  The loss in prize money, crash damage, and most importantly legitimate sponsorship money you lose when you have a pay driver who can't do anything with the car can easily outweigh the money you bring in from a pay driver.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The field, in general, is really damn good right now.

It will be even better when Piastri gets a seat (which may be in a Williams next year).

next year is going to be interesting

image.png.eefc92d20ad5fc7b34565b8126e0c4a5.png

this is from March, so not sure how many of these have changed. out of the 2022 group, Stroll isn't going anywhere. Zhou probably isn't either at this point, maybe he leaves Alfa but i bet he stays in an F1 seat.

RB has an interesting situation on their hands, but I can't imagine they push Checo out unless he has a really bad 2nd half of the year

potentially leaving:

• Alonso - can't imagine Alpine push him out if he wants to stay? i think the Piastri to Williams is a trial balloon for this
  • Yuki - let's see how he does this year, RB has pretty much always been cut throat w/ the 2nd AT seat, right? at 21 he is interesting.
  • Vettel - don't see how he stays after this year unless something major changes
  • Albon - early, if he does well, does he replace Yuki at AT? he's 26 which probably factors into what RB want to do with that 2nd seat
  • Latifi - he gone
  • Mick - who else does Ferrari have in their pipeline? the 2nd Haas seat is basically a Ferrari development seat, right (Mick had Ferrari backing, not 1&1 last year)

this is from March, so not sure how many of these have changed. out of the 2022 group, Stroll isn't going anywhere. Zhou probably isn't either at this point, maybe he leaves Alfa but i bet he stays in an F1 seat.
RB has an interesting situation on their hands, but I can't imagine they push Checo out unless he has a really bad 2nd half of the year
potentially leaving:
  • Alonso - can't imagine Alpine push him out if he wants to stay? i think the Piastri to Williams is a trial balloon for this
  • Yuki - let's see how he does this year, RB has pretty much always been cut throat w/ the 2nd AT seat, right? at 21 he is interesting.
  • Vettel - don't see how he stays after this year unless something major changes
  • Albon - early, if he does well, does he replace Yuki at AT? he's 26 which probably factors into what RB want to do with that 2nd seat
  • Latifi - he gone
  • Mick - who else does Ferrari have in their pipeline? the 2nd Haas seat is basically a Ferrari development seat, right (Mick had Ferrari backing, not 1&1 last year)

Ferrari Driver Academy is pretty bare at the moment.

They have Schwartzman in F2 who is OK and is Ferrari’s current test driver, but he’s not spectacular (he’s also Russian, but competes under the Israeli flag now), and Arthur Leclerc in F3 who is ok but not even close to what his brother is.
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, NoName said:

potentially leaving:

• Latifi - he gone

Piastri looks great, but yeah, it makes no sense to force out a high-performing Alonso, still an elite driver, to make room for a guy who's never turned a wheel in anger in F1. Alonso wants to keep driving for another 3 or more years, too. I see them extending Alonso and finding a seat elsewhere for Oscar, so they can see what they have in him.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Ferrari Driver Academy is pretty bare at the moment.

They have Schwartzman in F2 who is OK and is Ferrari’s current test driver, but he’s not spectacular (he’s also Russian, but competes under the Israeli flag now), and Arthur Leclerc in F3 who is ok but not even close to what his brother is.

Ollie Bearman is probably their best prospect right now, but he's at minimum 3 years away from driving for Ferrari, likely more. When you look at Mick and what they have after him, it makes sense why they're willing to sign Carlos to a long term deal. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Fabrega: Driver swap between two teams upcoming.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/109281/rumor-one-f1-driver-will-be-replaced-by-his-team-early-this-season.html?fbclid=IwAR2IAjh7ySckVAv_pgW7PyQUuawzlrzDaPwTde3nbMHXtzzQ7thvv3389_g

"The market is already moving. Something is happening, but I can't say, because I wasn't allowed to say anything [from whom he got the news]. I am not surprised by those who leave, but I am surprised by those who arrive. Well, it is a change of drivers between teams'."