Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

50 minutes ago, wood said:

Just bought T9 Friday-only + Green Day for the family.  $50 each. Not going after Friday, because fuck paying crazy prices to subject myself to another COTA clusterfuck. $200 for Saturday GA and $500 for Sunday GA. 

Man that's crazy  My two 3-day tix for T15 grandstand, plus paying for half the RV camping spot, was around... $1100 I think?  

I'm really lucky my best friend bought a PSL the very moment it was available.  I should probably buy him a really nice bottle of Scotch or something.

• Hook 'Em 1

My purchase was done on December 16.

Got the family section, so $250 each for two adults and the kid was free for a 3-day pass. 

The camera actually makes the fence seem more pronounced and the action farther away than it actually was. Fantastic seats.

image.png.c4224c5df8668dafbebf88238d72c007.png

Just bought T9 Friday-only + Green Day for the family.  $50 each. Not going after Friday, because fuck paying crazy prices to subject myself to another COTA clusterfuck. $200 for Saturday GA and $500 for Sunday GA. 

Man that’s crazy they are that expensive now

I’ll probably only go Friday as well. Usually get hooked up with tickets somehow so I’ll wait and see what happens
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Updawg said:

Man that’s crazy they are that expensive now

I’ll probably only go Friday as well. Usually get hooked up with tickets somehow so I’ll wait and see what happens

Yeah I went ahead and bought the cheap ones but we have 2 good chances to get free passes from people who get them from work but won't use 'em all. We'll see if either of them comes through this year.

I know last year I bought Friday GA tickets for COTA and then thought to check the resellers. I could have sat on the pit straight for less than my GA ticket that day. Plan to take a look and see if there is something super cheap. Otherwise, I'm not dealing with the COTA beating.

So do I have this straight for the race?  Max, Chuck, Lando, Ocon, and Bottas will all start from the back of the grid and Schumacher has a 10 spot penalty?
Danny is going to win to stick it up McLarens ass. In my dream, anyway.

Lewis has been looking strong, could be a good weekend for him.
  • Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Danny is going to win to stick it up McLarens ass. In my dream, anyway.

Lewis has been looking strong, could be a good weekend for him.

Yeah Lewis and Russel both could have a great weekend.  I'd say Sainz, too, but we all know Ferrari will screw that up.

Would love to see DannyRic win or at least podium, and Fred too.

7 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

You guys understand that Danny winning in a McLaren would be nothing but good for McLaren, right? 

It would drive Lando crazy.  Like literally crazy.  And I would enjoy that.  And it would be good for Danny.  I don't give a shit if it's good for McLaren.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

I think I read on the ESPN F1 site that the six drivers taking the penalty will start 15th - 20th, depending upon their quali times.  Maybe I misunderstood.

Someone here can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but what they probably mean is that with qulifying, you set the grid provisionally. Then you apply penalties. If there are multiple drivers who have to start at the back, then the first to announce its changes gets preference. Same if there are multiple 5 spot penalties, etc.

Just now, ConferenceRoom said:

A summary or a paraphrase would help add some context. I have no idea what he said. 

He's just more of a shit than he lets on.  Can't say it was anything in particular.  One thing that made me laugh when he said it was that he thought he would have won Monza if the team let him race.  As if DR wasn't out front all race long and put down fast lap on the last lap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wood said:

I dig Lando. He's one of my favorites. Helps that he followed me on twitter, too, which is when I first became aware of him. I don't get the dislike.

I run hot and cold on Lando and George.  One day I like them and the next I don't.  Can't say there's any real reason for it.  And I like Max a lot more this year than I did last year.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, wood said:

I dig Lando. He's one of my favorites. Helps that he followed me on twitter, too, which is when I first became aware of him. I don't get the dislike.

I don't get it either. From Chewie's summary he sounds like any other racing driver, especially a young and hungry driver. It's different strokes for different folks, I guess. 

Bottom line is that if Danny can win in the MCL36 the entire team, including Lando, will know it's heading in the right direction. 

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

And I like Max a lot more this year than I did last year.  

Same here. Still want Chuck to kick his ass, though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

This is correct. Is was changed from last year.

Yep. I was thinking of the old way I guess. This page explains it pretty clearly.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.how-do-f1-engine-penalties-work.7aLmj23MgHiv9Rin48ROrY.html

Penalties are given in the following manner:

The first time an additional element is used, the driver gets a 10-place grid penalty
The next time an additional element is used, the driver gets a five-place grid penalty
If a driver incurs a penalty exceeding 15 grid places, they will be required to start the race at the back
Qualifying performance still matters – if numerous drivers are staring down the same grid penalties, then qualifying decides the order in which they start. Hence in Canada this year, Charles Leclerc started 19th – having made it through to Q2 – while the similarly penalty-afflicted Yuki Tsunoda started 20th, having failed to progress out of Q1.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've always liked Max, and have grown to like him more as he's matured. I really like how he seems to concentrate on the big picture most of the time and doesn't seem to take things too seriously, whether he's doing well at the time or not. Not the same personality obviously, but he reminds me of Junior a bit in that regard. He's one of the most down-to-earth, earnest, and chill pro athletes I've ever met, right up there with Karch Kiraly from the volleyball world. DEJ & Max both have asshole race driver fathers, too. I wonder if there's any correlation there.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

So do I have this straight for the race?  Max, Chuck, Lando, Ocon, and Bottas will all start from the back of the grid and Schumacher has a 10 spot penalty?

Yep. If Merc want to win a race this year, having both Max and Charles taking penalties seems like their best chance. Also seems like a good chance for Fred to get a podium. With Max and Charles starting 15th and 16th and having some midfield cars out of their way, I could see one of them fighting back for a podium, probably Max if FP2 is any indication.  

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, wood said:

Someone here can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but what they probably mean is that with qulifying, you set the grid provisionally. Then you apply penalties. If there are multiple drivers who have to start at the back, then the first to announce its changes gets preference. Same if there are multiple 5 spot penalties, etc.

It was changed after last season and the back of the grid positions are now determined by qualifying.

Yeah it's gonna be an interesting race for sure. 

It's also interesting imho, seeing the changes that have been made by my boy Jarno Zaffelli, resurfacing some of the track, getting rid of some paved runnoffs, and bringing back gravel traps .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

You guys understand that Danny winning in a McLaren would be nothing but good for McLaren, right? 

I understand that from a fan perspective, it would be a massive W for Danny and a gigantic L to McLaren for getting rid of the guy who would then have the only wins (plural) for the team in the past 10 years.  Would it vault McLaren over Alpine in the constructors?  Maybe.  But other than that, which was worth ~$3.5M last season, it would look like a massive mistake on their part.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

He's just more of a shit than he lets on.  Can't say it was anything in particular.  One thing that made me laugh when he said it was that he thought he would have won Monza if the team let him race.  As if DR wasn't out front all race long and put down fast lap on the last lap.

Totally get that vibe from him.

5 minutes ago, Mittens said:

I understand that from a fan perspective, it would be a massive W for Danny and a gigantic L to McLaren for getting rid of the guy who would then have the only wins (plural) for the team in the past 10 years.  Would it vault McLaren over Alpine in the constructors?  Maybe.  But other than that, which was worth ~$3.5M last season, it would look like a massive mistake on their part.

Any win at this stage would involve a tremendous amount of luck and would be a team effort. Daniel isn't dragging that car through the field on his own. With that said, both parties would be thrilled to get a win. Car development, marketing, team morale, etc., would all get a boost. Daniel would have another notch on his belt. There is no downside for McLaren in Daniel winning. Public perception is mostly that Lando has been beating his teammate up and down the calendar for two seasons and Daniel had his shot to do something about it. It didn't work out, Danny is getting paid, and McLaren are seemingly going to get an awesome talent to replace him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Any win at this stage would involve a tremendous amount of luck and would be a team effort. Daniel isn't dragging that car through the field on his own. With that said, both parties would be thrilled to get a win. Car development, marketing, team morale, etc., would all get a boost. Daniel would have another notch on his belt. There is no downside for McLaren in Daniel winning. Public perception is mostly that Lando has been beating his teammate up and down the calendar for two seasons and Daniel had his shot to do something about it. It didn't work out, Danny is getting paid, and McLaren are seemingly going to get an awesome talent to replace him. 

Yep. Let's hope Piastri doesn't Stoffel up the joint. FTR, I don't think he will. But who knows...

31 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

There is no downside for McLaren in Daniel winning.

Certainly, all those positives you mentioned are valid, but that doesn't mean there are no downsides.

It would be quite damning to the team to be firing the only winner they've seen in 10yrs, on the heels of a 2nd win.  Damning to the team that they couldn't figure out how to make the car consistently work for that winner.  Damning to the team that they couldn't figure out how to get a win from their wunderkind, when he's been beating his teammate, who won 2 GP, up and down the calendar for two seasons.  To think that MCL would look nothing but fantastic ushering Danny out the door following a win is quite silly.  They'd look foolish, regardless of how justified that dismissal is today, or how great their part in his winning was.

I don't think we'll get to see it, but I'm damn sure hoping we do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Certainly, all those positives you mentioned are valid, but that doesn't mean there are no downsides.

It would be quite damning to the team to be firing the only winner they've seen in 10yrs, on the heels of a 2nd win.  Damning to the team that they couldn't figure out how to make the car consistently work for that winner.  Damning to the team that they couldn't figure out how to get a win from their wunderkind, when he's been beating his teammate, who won 2 GP, up and down the calendar for two seasons.  To think that MCL would look nothing but fantastic ushering Danny out the door following a win is quite silly.  They'd look foolish, regardless of how justified that dismissal is today, or how great their part in his winning was.

I don't think we'll get to see it, but I'm damn sure hoping we do.

That's really on both the driver and the team, working together to find the best setup for each driver based on driver input and team data. It's not just on the team.

3 hours ago, wood said:

I've always liked Max, and have grown to like him more as he's matured. I really like how he seems to concentrate on the big picture most of the time and doesn't seem to take things too seriously, whether he's doing well at the time or not. Not the same personality obviously, but he reminds me of Junior a bit in that regard. He's one of the most down-to-earth, earnest, and chill pro athletes I've ever met, right up there with Karch Kiraly from the volleyball world. DEJ & Max both have asshole race driver fathers, too. I wonder if there's any correlation there.

I'd have a pretty hard time equating Dale Earnhardt Sr. with Jos Verstappen.

Points for working Karch Kiraly into a conversation in 2022 though lol.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'd have a pretty hard time equating Dale Earnhardt Sr. with Jos Verstappen.

Points for working Karch Kiraly into a conversation in 2022 though lol.

LOL. Karch is the mfing man. And a helluva nice guy. Re: Dale & Jos, I wasn't really equating Jos with Dale re: anything more than both being assholes and race drivers - not their respective levels of success.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep. Let's hope Piastri doesn't Stoffel up the joint. FTR, I don't think he will. But who knows...

I think his junior career is a good bit better than Stoffel’s. A lot of Stoffel’s success had to do with being pretty old for each category and beating up on bad competition. Piastri’s junior career is a lot more like Norris, Russell, Leclerc than Stoffel’s IMO. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think his junior career is a good bit better than Stoffel’s. A lot of Stoffel’s success had to do with being pretty old for each category and beating up on bad competition. Piastri’s junior career is a lot more like Norris, Russell, Leclerc than Stoffel’s IMO. 

Yeah I think so too. He'll be fine imho.