Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

4 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

You have an amazing hatred of Lewis. It's awkward really.

No, it's just a week by week observation. He gets extremely butthurt when he's not out in front because, you know, he's Lewis Hamilton and everyone is supposed to get out of his way. He's the aggy of F1. He just bounces off them and claims innocence afterward.

Edited by RPM

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
5 hours ago, RPM said:
Ham just can't deal with the reality that someone other than him is on the track, because, you know, he is the GOAT.

Come on, man. That's absurd. Watch his post race interview.

I watched his race. 

Merc seems to get stuck in strategy lane and it’s really hard for them to make super fast decisions. Pit Lewis and Russell, keep 2nd and 3rd and maximize points.

Hamilton complains as much as everyone else. We just get to hear it more. I’m not sure why it triggers so many folks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RPM said:

No, it's just a week by week observation. He gets extremely butthurt when he's not out in front because, you know, he's Lewis Hamilton and everyone is supposed to get out of his way. He's the aggy of F1. He just bounces off them and claims innocence afterward.

aggy of F1?

Now, I am not a Lewis Fanboi by any stretch of the imagination, but ... Lewis has won 7 WDC, holds the record for the most wins, pole positions and podium finishes.

aggy?

One championship (the same year that Adolph invaded Poland) and then a lifetime of being the brunt of laughter and derision. aggy has been placed on probation numerous times (the most recent in 2020) for violating NCAA rules. aggy is the very face of underachievement spanning all sports both domestically and internationally. And THAT is aggy's greatest achievement of all.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Now, I am not a Lewis Fanboi by any stretch of the imagination, but ... Lewis has won 7 WDC, holds the record for the most wins, pole positions and podium finishes.

When all you had to do was throw money at the problem to win. Now that the playing field has been leveled he ain't won shit. He's a good driver, but I've watched people bounce off him for years. He thinks he always has the right of way.

Predictions for Monza? I'm actually interested in what Albon can do. Been a lot of talk about Williams' straight-line speed. Would love to see him get up into the top 10.

Actually just looked at the results this year. Damn, not a bad year for him at all. You think Williams would always be in the bottom five of the results, but Albon has been hanging around that 12/13 spot consistently.

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Ferrari is getting louder about Red Bull and the spending cap. Any teeth in that or truth to it?

Probably just the usual F1 maneuvering, but who knows? I would be shocked if all 3 of the big 3 weren't bumping right up against the cap right, or soon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So, apparently Gasly to Alpine is contingent upon Herta getting his SL. AT is going after the wrong IndyCar driver imho. They should be looking at McLaughlin. They won't, because in his late 20s, he's 'too old'. It's really simpleminded and shortsighted. You could get 10 years of great production out of the guy if he pans out. If he doesn't, you just kick him to the curb like they do all the others who don't work out. Seems worth the risk to me. The age factor in F1 just isn't what it used to be. Alonso is proving that.

Also, apparently Gainbridge is Herta's backer. They were also rumored to be heavily involved with the Andretti F1 effort. And of course, Andretti has strong Honda ties as well.  Could this be a sign of Andretti buying Alpha Tauri, and helping keep Honda in F1?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Superhero said:

Sad Panda GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

But yeah, he's done in F1, and probably as a driver.

4 minutes ago, Stringer said:

I figured he would do everything he can to drive Vegas next year. He may have just given up though. He’ll definitely have jobs open to him if he stops driving.

Huh? I think he’d do NASCAR or IndyCar before he just quits driving. 

13 hours ago, wood said:

So, apparently Gasly to Alpine is contingent upon Herta getting his SL. AT is going after the wrong IndyCar driver imho. They should be looking at McLaughlin. They won't, because in his late 20s, he's 'too old'. It's really simpleminded and shortsighted. You could get 10 years of great production out of the guy if he pans out. If he doesn't, you just kick him to the curb like they do all the others who don't work out. Seems worth the risk to me. The age factor in F1 just isn't what it used to be. Alonso is proving that.

Also, apparently Gainbridge is Herta's backer. They were also rumored to be heavily involved with the Andretti F1 effort. And of course, Andretti has strong Honda ties as well.  Could this be a sign of Andretti buying Alpha Tauri, and helping keep Honda in F1?

i think the role of AT at this point is to just find the next big name for the 2nd seat, vs finding a guy who is good enough for a while?

any whispers about RBR wanting to sell AT? or just reading between the lines here

IIRC someone was talking about the W Series here last week

Four female drivers get the opportunity of a one-day test on the FIA F3 car

https://www.fiaformula3.com/Latest/xhVWWB5FA3qhVv7AzqWPw/four-female-drivers-get-the-opportunity-of-a-one-day-test-on-the-fia-f3-car

article text:

Spoiler

The FIA Formula 3 promoters are pleased to announce that W Series drivers Abbi Pulling, Chloe Chambers and Tereza Babickova, along with Formula 4 and Formula Regional driver Hamda Al Qubaisi, will take part in a Formula 3 test on September 16th and 17th at Magny-Cours, France.

This is the second time that a women specific test will be run in the current FIA F3 car, with four women taking part in a similar event last season. The test forms part of a larger diversity plan across the FIA single-seater pyramid to give better access to more female drivers.

Each driver will be testing for a full day, with two cars on track per day, with the aim to introduce them to the category, its car and different set-ups, along with the demands and challenges of its environment.

On Day 1, Pulling and Al Qubaisi will take the wheel, while Chambers and Babickova will get their first taste of the F3 car on the second day.

FIA Formula 3 CEO Bruno Michel said: “It’s very important to us to ensure that more and more female drivers join our championship. Diversity is one of our key discussions regarding the future of motorsport.

“We initiated these dedicated F3 tests last year, with Nerea Marti, Doriane Pin, Irina Sidorkova and Maya Weug, who all said how beneficial this one-day test had been to their understanding of the demands of our championship. We selected four new drivers for this year, as we follow closely not only W Series, but also female drivers in other categories.

“The purpose of this test is not to compare their performance, but it is an opportunity for them to understand what is required from an F3 driver from every aspect, so that they can prepare for the challenges when they progress to our championship, hopefully in the near future.”

F1 President and CEO Stefano Domenicali, said: “Providing more opportunities for women drivers across single seater racing is a key priority for all of us at Formula 1 and across the whole sport.

“This test, the second of its kind, will provide real opportunity for these four talented drivers to demonstrate their potential to teams and make the case for a competitive seat in years to come.”

Abbi Pulling said: “I’m very excited to test the F3 car around Magny-Cours and I am very grateful for this opportunity given to me. I hope to make the most out of the day and understand further what it will take to get to the next step and where I aim to hopefully compete one day.

“To get the chance to drive this kind of machinery means a lot to me and I’m expecting it to be very different to what I am used to driving. However, I’m looking forward to the challenge and trust that I will get the support I need from the team to adapt and learn as much as possible.”

Hamda Al Qubaisi said: “I’m thrilled to be invited by the FIA F3 promoters to take part in this high profile test, it’s a very strong message in acknowledging Female drivers and I would personally like to thanks Bruno Michel for the opportunity.

“I’m definitely grateful for this opportunity and it means a lot to be acknowledged for my efforts and achievements in Motorsports and offered the chance to test this amazing machine. It’s the natural progression in my career and I aspire to drive in this championship next season if all goes well.

“I look forward to getting the feeling of driving this car, which has more power and downforce than the car I’m currently competing in. I have been working very hard on my physical and fitness side to cope with the extra G forces and feel confident I will be able to handle it well and try and learn as much as possible and improve my driving and feeling with the car throughout the test.”

Chloe Chambers said: “I’m excited about this opportunity. It's something that I've looked forward to for a long time and I’m so grateful to have it. I see this test as a great learning opportunity to gain experience in the F3 car at a new track with new people that I can learn from. I expect to gain invaluable experience and a greater understanding of where I need to further develop my skills.

“I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone at W Series, Monoflo International, and Bruno Michel and his team for helping me get this great opportunity to gain experience and show my potential.”

Tereza Babickova said: “I am very grateful for this opportunity. For all drivers in motorsport, the goal is to continue to higher categories and thus, of course, more powerful cars, which is a big challenge. I know it takes quite a lot of physical strength to drive the F3 car.

“I'm still a rookie formula driver, so for me, this invitation to the FIA F3 test is a recognition of my training and racing commitment so far, and it’s a great motivation for the future.

“Of course, my goal is to step up to F3 in the future, so I expect this test to show me what my real abilities are today and what I need to work on in order to be ready.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

i think the role of AT at this point is to just find the next big name for the 2nd seat, vs finding a guy who is good enough for a while?

any whispers about RBR wanting to sell AT? or just reading between the lines here

I've heard all kinds of variations of that - that AT is for sale, AT isn't for sale, they're not actively trying to sell but the right offer would buy AT, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

SIAP but there’s a video of Danny talking about a year off on a hot mic with checo. Probably just discussing his options with the mic catching the “year off” part but who knows what exactly a year off means to him. I think at this point Danny is also trying to figure out if he wants to continue racing in general, even if that means there won’t be a seat for him in F1 for ‘24 and beyond. I don’t know what’s going to happen next for him, and I think there’s some validity to the number of rumors going around just because he’s such an asset, but whatever happens I hope he makes the right choice after making questionable ones in the past. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

SIAP but there’s a video of Danny talking about a year off on a hot mic with checo. Probably just discussing his options with the mic catching the “year off” part but who knows what exactly a year off means to him. I think at this point Danny is also trying to figure out if he wants to continue racing in general, even if that means there won’t be a seat for him in F1 for ‘24 and beyond. I don’t know what’s going to happen next for him, and I think there’s some validity to the number of rumors going around just because he’s such an asset, but whatever happens I hope he makes the right choice after making questionable ones in the past. 

i am not of the group that thinks he has made a bunch of questionable moves.

the RBR > Renault move was to be a top driver on a team. can't blame a guy for that.

Renault > McLaren also was a move that made some level of sense to me, moving from the back part of the midfield to the front of the midfield.

didn't hurt that Renault and MCL were offering him a huge amount of money but don't believe those were the only reasons it happened.

i am fascinated to see what he does next or during his time off. dude has a magnetic personality, likes doing cool shit and has a bunch of famous friends.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, wood said:

There's also a rumor out now about Danny going to Merc as the #3. Who knows ...

Selfishly I'd rather see Ricciardo move to Indycar or NASCAR, than become a reserve driver for Merc.

But if he wanted to maintain his chances at regaining a seat in F1, then sticking around the sport probably makes the most sense.

40 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Selfishly I'd rather see Ricciardo move to Indycar or NASCAR, than become a reserve driver for Merc.

But if he wanted to maintain his chances at regaining a seat in F1, then sticking around the sport probably makes the most sense.

Yep. Plus, he could potentially move in as George's #2 if Lewis hangs up his shoes in a year or two. 

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

Yep. Plus, he could potentially move in as George's #2 if Lewis hangs up his shoes in a year or two. 

This would be the best option for him if he wants to stay in F1. It’ll be an ego blow for sure, but his performance this year doesn’t warrant him having a seat in a competitive team.

He blamed the car, but it seems like other drivers got over the new regs pretty quickly while he continues to struggle.

I wonder why Alpine wasn’t interested in him. He seemed to do okay there unless he burned a lot of bridges on his way out from Renault. 

1F538C0E-0704-49AB-9BC2-C3893B50F9A4.jpeg

2 hours ago, Superhero said:

This would be the best option for him if he wants to stay in F1. It’ll be an ego blow for sure, but his performance this year doesn’t warrant him having a seat in a competitive team.

He blamed the car, but it seems like other drivers got over the new regs pretty quickly while he continues to struggle.

I wonder why Alpine wasn’t interested in him. He seemed to do okay there unless he burned a lot of bridges on his way out from Renault. 

Alpine might end up being interested again should Herta not get his SL, preventing Gasly from going to Alpine.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Alpine execs seem to have sensitive egos and feel their team is better/worth more than it is. Las evidence of two drivers shooting them the bird 

Yep. This clown show wasn't caused solely by stupidity. There was a good dose of arrogance as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Superhero said:

guessing they wanted him to stay and weren't happy about it

plus he isn't french.

really curious to see the direction of that team moving forward with PG and EO.