Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

On one hand I understand McLaren at this point letting Lando get the most of the team, it makes the most sense with him driving better and obviously going to be back next year as the clear #1. On the other hand, my subjective point of view, I’d like to see them give Danny a more favorable strategy when it’s there so he can improve his chances of ‘24 and beyond. But at this point in their relationship I think thats wishful thinking, and we should just accept McLaren is ready for this ride to be over with. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On one hand I understand McLaren at this point letting Lando get the most of the team, it makes the most sense with him driving better and obviously going to be back next year as the clear #1. On the other hand, my subjective point of view, I’d like to see them give Danny a more favorable strategy when it’s there so he can improve his chances of ‘24 and beyond. But at this point in their relationship I think thats wishful thinking, and we should just accept McLaren is ready for this ride to be over with. 
I know, it's just laughable at this point. They are undercutting DR, making him slow down to open a gap for LN, giving team orders for no reason, etc. I'm sure there will be more to come.

They are not making themselves look very good, and more importantly they aren't getting more points from doing what they are doing. They're just making themselves look like clowns.

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
25 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:
Lando’s ego. Dude you’re starting to crack up at this point.

Why give team orders today to swap? They were gonna finish 7/8 either way (until DRs engine blew). If LN is faster, he can pass.

I don’t think it has anything to do with Lando’s ego and what he thinks should happen. Imo the situation is strictly decided on how McLaren wants the team to function. If Lando had a big ego then he would have bitched about not being able to pass Danny last year at Monza which he could have done even with Danny getting the fastest lap on the final lap. 

At the end of the day McLaren is going to favor the young and more productive driver, especially letting him compete until the end no matter what like he got to do against Checo. Lando was on fresh soft tires so they might as well order a pass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

In other news, I'm glad to see de Vries get points, but really wanted to see what Albon could do with that car at Monza. He's been driving really well this year.

Toto was very impressed in his post race interview.  Sounds like he may get a ride next year if they can make it work.

Edited by kevwun

19 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

I don’t think it has anything to do with Lando’s ego and what he thinks should happen. Imo the situation is strictly decided on how McLaren wants the team to function. If Lando had a big ego then he would have bitched about not being able to pass Danny last year at Monza which he could have done even with Danny getting the fastest lap on the final lap. 

At the end of the day McLaren is going to favor the young and more productive driver, especially letting him compete until the end no matter what like he got to do against Checo. Lando was on fresh soft tires so they might as well order a pass. 

Yep, and very often when a team tells a driver to let his teammate pass, it's precisely to maximize their chances for the most Constructor points. Sometimes it works. Sometimes you end up with the same result. I don't remember the specific situation, but they probably thought that there might be an outside chance of of finishing 6/8 instead of 7/8. With that finish, they're still in the fight with Alpine for P4. Alpine is just 18 points ahead now after their no points finish, so there's no way McLaren's just willingly giving away points based on a driver whim. Also, much like Alonso, RIC may have been slowed by the engine problem that eventually caused the DNF. It's possible that he knew it and the team could see it on the pit wall, but who knows.

Edited by wood

And Fernando can't get out of Alpine quickly enough under Rossi & Otmar. What a fucking clown show. They put Alonso out there at Monza on a PU that had already done 5 races. At best, it was going to be slow. This was the weekend to take a penalty. Now he'll probably have to take one next race anyway. And then Alonso told the team the car was down on power but they still couldn't see a problem. Turned out to be some kind of coolant leak issue, which is what put him in this position re: PUs in the first place. Down on power from the beginning of the race, recharging issues, and then a water leak. Shocked that this could happen at Monza on a 5 race old PU. Bravo, Alpine. Certainly Otmar will be along shortly to tell us how the engine problems were all Fernando's fault. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Man, I would love Max to just go full heel -- WWF style -- for the rest of the season. It would have been spectacular to see him go Ric Flair style in the post-race interview.

"All you Italian fans who came here hoping to see Ferrari win at Monza... I got two words for you: "World Champion." I came to Monza, started 7th on the grid and within five laps I was at the front of the pack. You WISH your pretty boy Leclerc could race like me. You see this alligators on my feet? What color are they? That's right they're gold because I'm in first. You don't like it? Try and stop with your 'Plan C. Plan C.' Woooooo!"

17 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Man, I would love Max to just go full heel -- WWF style -- for the rest of the season. It would have been spectacular to see him go Ric Flair style in the post-race interview.

"All you Italian fans who came here hoping to see Ferrari win at Monza... I got two words for you: "World Champion." I came to Monza, started 7th on the grid and within five laps I was at the front of the pack. You WISH your pretty boy Leclerc could race like me. You see this alligators on my feet? What color are they? That's right they're gold because I'm in first. You don't like it? Try and stop with your 'Plan C. Plan C.' Woooooo!"

"Oh and about your Plan C.... Plan C is when all your women "C"ome on up to my penthouse tonight to ride space mountain. WOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Brag Ric Flair GIF by WWE

Edited by Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

"Oh and about your Plan C.... Plan C is when all your women "C"ome on up to my penthouse tonight to ride space mountain. WOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Brag Ric Flair GIF by WWE

It's needed. Way too many drivers getting along. Do it Max. 

"All you Ferrari fans, I got a winning strategy for you. It's Plan D."

"Plan D?"

"Plan Deeeeeez Nuts!"

Just to get this right, there is a 3 week break before Singapore? Man, I'm going to be borrrrred.

F1 has ruined watching football for me. I can't sit for 4 hours, with commercials, and have to wait 30 seconds after every play to make sure there isn't a flag.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just to get this right, there is a 3 week break before Singapore? Man, I'm going to be borrrrred.

F1 has ruined watching football for me. I can't sit for 4 hours, with commercials, and have to wait 30 seconds after every play to make sure there isn't a flag.

Yeah, Sochi was supposed to be in-between Monza and Singapore but, well, you know.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

... and then wait 15 minutes while the Big 12 clown show refs confer and create an absolute clusterfuck.

I'll tell you what pretty much ruined football for me though  -  a certain #10 no longer being on the field. /csb

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Soon to be announced-- Ferrari's 20 year partnership with Don Julio.  Because Estrella Galicia just isn't enough...

Anyone got Tito's on their car? I bet I could snag a job there if they were to hook up with an F1 team.

I know we have some Austin companies in F1. Anyone have a full list? You might be the best person to ask this question.

8 minutes ago, wood said:

... and then wait 15 minutes while the Big 12 clown show refs confer and create an absolute clusterfuck.

I'll tell you what pretty much ruined football for me though  -  a certain #10 no longer being on the field. /csb

I dunno, I loved watching #12 throw to #8 and #6 every weekend. It was nice to know that when the ball came out, you knew it was going to be a completion. It's been more than a decade of holding my breath every time there is a pass.

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I dunno, I loved watching #12 throw to #8 and #6 every weekend. It was nice to know that when the ball came out, you knew it was going to be a completion. It's been more than a decade of holding my breath every time there is a pass.

Oh, I'll still watch. I'm not completely over football. I think #12 is gonna be a great one, too. #10 was a different kinda deal for me though. Never seen anything like him, before or since.  (sorry ot)

Edited by wood

15 hours ago, wood said:

PSA: Predictably, after saying GA had been 'sold out' for months, COTA is releasing more Friday, Sunday, and 3-day GA tickets. 

$399+ face value for 3-day GA. Unreal.

If there's anyone on this thread considering this --

1.) If you haven't gone to a race, then yeah, it can be worth the money to see the cars, but don't feel like you're missing out.

2.) COTA is a damn beating. Tons of walking, no trees, entry/exit are a mess. 

3.) If you want to see cars in person, I think a smarter idea would be to look on broker sites and see if you can get Friday or Saturday tickets for way cheaper. That gets you in to see them, without the hassle of going all weekend.

4.) Even smarter? Use 1/5th of that amount and just get F1TV for a year. Seeing the cars and their speed is great, but to be honest, if you actually want to watch a race, there's no beating just watching it on TV where you can watch the entire track versus your one area. In fact, at the track you most often watch the feeds on the big screens at the track anyway. 

1.) If you haven't gone to a race, then yeah, it can be worth the money to see the cars, but don't feel like you're missing out.
3.) If you want to see cars in person, I think a smarter idea would be to look on broker sites and see if you can get Friday or Saturday tickets for way cheaper. That gets you in to see them, without the hassle of going all weekend.
4.) Even smarter? Use 1/5th of that amount and just get F1TV for a year. Seeing the cars and their speed is great, but to be honest, if you actually want to watch a race, there's no beating just watching it on TV where you can watch the entire track versus your one area. In fact, at the track you most often watch the feeds on the big screens at the track anyway. 

This, I’m COTAd out after a few races during its early years. I basically went to get smashed.

There was a year that Johnny Walker had booths all over the track giving free scotch. I got hammered. And barely “kept up” w the racing action. I also did GA, I think it’s the best way to go to get different views etc.

Unless I get invited to premium seating or something, I doubt I’ll be going any time soon.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, texas08 said:

I also did GA, I think it’s the best way to go to get different views etc.

Unless I get invited to premium seating or something, I doubt I’ll be going any time soon.

It would be fun to sit right on the start/finish line ($$$$), but I think I'd take GA over most seating around the track.

And I'd rather have "Premium entry/exit" than premium seating. I'd be fine sitting on the grass with GA if there was a service that dropped you off right at the entrance, no line to enter, and then easily have a ride with no traffic back to town after the race.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

^^^ This.

First two years I was so amped. Had T12 the T15. Loved every second of it. But I haven't missed it either. Might be age. Might be the engine change. Definitely the overall experience.

Yep, and it's difficult to really follow the race when you're there. COTA's tv monitors are usually far away across the track from the fans and are too small to be able to read graphics easily ... and their sound sucks as well.  I'm only going on F1 Friday, and that's all I'm ever gonna do at COTA from here on out unless some of the smaller series return. Now, if I go to other GPs, different story.

BTW, if anyone's thinking of ridesharing out there, the rideshare pickup/dropoff area has been moved to Del Valle High School, 3.5 miles from COTA. You'll have to catch a shuttle to and from COTA.

a buddy and i are both big time F1 fans. if we decided to go to COTA together, is it better to go on FRI or SAT if we were considering 1 day.

or is the actual pro move to just go to Montreal for the F1 weekend? wish i lived close enough to Canada to just drive in for Friday+Sat, drive home and watch the race Sunday from the couch.

8 minutes ago, Fuga said:

^^^ This.

First two years I was so amped. Had T12 the T15. Loved every second of it. But I haven't missed it either. Might be age. Might be the engine change. Definitely the overall experience.

Yeah the engine change is a big factor for me as well. I still remember walking across the bridge to CGV on Saturday morning in  2010, with FP3 just starting. V8 sounds bouncing around through the trees from cars we couldn't see. You could follow the cars without seeing them. Spine-tingling stuff.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

a buddy and i are both big time F1 fans. if we decided to go to COTA together, is it better to go on FRI or SAT if we were considering 1 day.

or is the actual pro move to just go to Montreal for the F1 weekend? wish i lived close enough to Canada to just drive in for Friday+Sat, drive home and watch the race Sunday from the couch.

For me personally, just Friday at COTA. It will be by far the least crowded and easiest day to access the venue. Plus Green Day. Then make Montreal happen. You will not regret it.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, wood said:

For me personally, just Friday at COTA. It will be by far the least crowded and easiest day to access the venue. Plus Green Day. Then make Montreal happen. You will not regret it.

any idea of a very general ballpark how much am i looking at per person for Montreal?

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

I assume that you're on this message board that you've done/seen Austin.

- If going to COTA, I think Friday is the best day. Smaller crowds, cheaper tickets. Saturday will be cool because of qualifying and more going on, but I found the Friday crowd in 2019 to be minimal and then Friday crowd in 2021 to be huge in comparison. So Friday will be big enough crowd and headaches. I can't imagine what Sat/Sun look like these days.

- If you have the means, then yeah, Montreal would be the move. The only issue is you're paying for flights/hotel. I figure we spent about $3k last year to go for our family for four nights and race. Still, seeing the race and everything else was worth it. I should actually look at going back during a non-race weekend. Could do it for half that much. Beautiful city, great race experience, just nice to be somewhere new and different. 

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

Le Shitload

Maybe now, but it seemed reasonable this past year because we sat in the family section. Kid got in free. Plus, I think this is in C$, so even less for USD:

image.png.71967849656d89d21152b9d20e2a84bb.png

I mean, COTA is charging $399 per person for GA tickets? Canada was way cheaper.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Maybe now, but it seemed reasonable this past year because we sat in the family section. Kid got in free. Plus, I think this is in C$, so even less for USD:

image.png.71967849656d89d21152b9d20e2a84bb.png

3 days? Yeah when we went in 2017 my ticket bill was a little bit less, but still pretty comparable. When I did the math back then, it was an easy choice. We also made it part of a longer 2 week trip & incorporated Niagara Falls, Boston, and NYC. It was awesome.

Just checked the CGV website, and their 3 day Grandstand tickets start at $250 pp, and they have 3 grandstands under $300 for 3 days. For COTA this year, you'd pay $400 pp + fees and taxes for 3 day GA passes. That doesn't include the great deal you get at Montreal's family grandstand.

https://www.gpcanada.ca/en/tickets-2023-3/

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1