Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

with max passing vettel on the last lap and charles' pace falling off a cliff the last 3 laps, leclerc is now 104 points back of max.  there's 112 points left in the season after japan.  if max wins japan, charles needs 2nd for this thing to continue to austin. 

edit: just got to the part of the broadcast where they mention this

Edited by elfenix
thought sprints were worth 6
  • Like 1

It’s absolutely wild how much the Ferrari has been chewing through its tyres since summer break. They have the same pace as the first half of the season, but their tyre deg is god awful so they fall off hard at the end of stints. Once again, Ferrari comes out of the box with a fast car and then develops in the wrong way, actually managing to make their car worse throughout the season. Absolutely ridiculous for a team with their resources. 

• Like 1

It's not wide enough and all of the hairpins sap momentum.  It's a nice reminder of how much better the new cars have made the races.  I don't know if Max would have ever been able to pass Alonso.  Even with a much faster car he never got particularly close to pulling it off.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

It was a crazy weekend. After the huge rain I was soaked (it was a huge storm) and my shoes were covered in mud.

It was way worse than the UT rain game or ACL Dillo Dirt.

I didn’t have the energy to stay for Green Day after the race (in fact, I watched the last 30 laps at home - i got a taxi right outside during the 2nd safety car).

It’s a fun event, but the actual racing is always underwhelming. I had hoped the new cars would help, but they seem like a bit of a mirage.

Singapore Overtake data:

https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/xuiy3f/2022_singapore_overtakes_data/

16 overtakes (excluding lap 1) - Max was 10 of the 16, George was 5 of the remaining 6.

Text:

Spoiler

The 2022 Singapore GP had 16 overtakes, 11 were shown in the live broadcast. The last race in Singapore (2019) had 59 overtakes, 2018 had 13. 2017, the only other wet race at this circuit also had 16 overtakes. The circuit average is 33. Spreadsheets with overtaking data from 1986 will be linked in a comment.

2022 Singapore GP Overtakes

Lap 2 Verstappen on Stroll for P 10

Lap 2 Verstappen on Magnussen for P 11

Lap 2 Russell on Zhou for P 18

Lap 3 Verstappen on Tsunoda for P 9

Lap 4 Russell on Latifi for P 17

Lap 11 Verstappen on Gasly for P 7

Lap 11 Verstappen on Vettel for P 8

Lap 22 Magnussen on Albon for P 15

Lap 40 Russell on Magnussen for P 11

Lap 40 Russell on Bottas for P 12

Lap 46 Russell on Schumacher for P 13

Lap 47 Verstappen on Magnussen for P 11

Lap 50 Verstappen on Bottas for P 10

Lap 51 Verstappen on Gasly for P 9

Lap 57 Verstappen on Hamilton for P 8

Lap 59 Verstappen on Vettel for P 7

A Few Notes

• This data does not include overtakes made on Lap 1 or the first lap of a standing restart.

• On track moves for position only, not counting passes made in pits, lapped cars, cars unlapping, on cars off track or spun, team orders etc...

• Overtaking data is just interesting data it does not show how entertaining the race is

Some Stats

• Verstappen did the most overtakes today with 10 followed by Russell with 5 and Magnussen with 1.

• Magnussen was the most overtaken driver with 3.

• Hamilton has done the most overtakes this season with 52 followed by Magnussen with 50 and Sainz with 49.

• Magnussen is the most overtaken driver this season with 68 followed by Latifi with 58 and Schumacher with 57.

• This is the first race this season without any overtakes in the top 5

Numbers for the Season so far

Bahrain - 76

Saudi Arabia - 33

Australia - 34

Imola - 22 (Sprint - 18)

Miami - 55

Spain - 50

Monaco - 12

Azerbaijan - 23

Canada - 36

Great Britain - 30

Austria - 69 (Sprint - 19)

France - 32

Hungary - 65

Belgium - 74

Netherlands - 24

Italy - 58

Singapore - 16

Singapore is more like an endurance race than your typical grand prix. If you look at it from a standpoint of a supreme test of engineering, reliability, environment, driver skill and concentration, and strategy you'll get a lot more out of it. If all you're looking for are overtakes you'll definitely be disappointed. Formula 1 has processions to be sure, but I don't look at Singapore the same way I look at Monaco even though they're cut from the same cloth. I found yesterday to be quite enjoyable apart from the delay and the further display of steward incompetency. I didn't watch live so I don't really know the extent of the conditions, but we have wets for a reason and at some point the show must go on. 

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

It was a crazy weekend. After the huge rain I was soaked (it was a huge storm) and my shoes were covered in mud.

It was way worse than the UT rain game or ACL Dillo Dirt.

I didn’t have the energy to stay for Green Day after the race (in fact, I watched the last 30 laps at home - i got a taxi right outside during the 2nd safety car).

It’s a fun event, but the actual racing is always underwhelming. I had hoped the new cars would help, but they seem like a bit of a mirage.

The new cars do help a lot on tracks where a decent or good amount of passing is already possible. Of course, as F1 teams develop them and find little tricks to dirty up the air behind them, that will fade unless the FIA keeps banning the little tricks. 

Singapore typically has much more passing than this (see NoName's spoiler), but rain is gonna make it very tough there with any car. The immense size and weight of these cars doesn't help either though. The aero changes have helped, but they actually got even heavier this year and really need to go on a diet. Hopefully the new PU helps with that in 2026. It should be a bit lighter and it's supposed to be smaller too, so that should help make the car a bit smaller, saving weight in the process.

54 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Singapore is more like an endurance race than your typical grand prix. If you look at it from a standpoint of a supreme test of engineering, reliability, environment, driver skill and concentration, and strategy you'll get a lot more out of it. If all you're looking for are overtakes you'll definitely be disappointed. Formula 1 has processions to be sure, but I don't look at Singapore the same way I look at Monaco even though they're cut from the same cloth. I found yesterday to be quite enjoyable apart from the delay and the further display of steward incompetency. I didn't watch live so I don't really know the extent of the conditions, but we have wets for a reason and at some point the show must go on. 

sorry, not expecting a ton of overtakes in general - much less in the rain. just didn't expect 10/16 from Max!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/30/2022 at 10:46 PM, utee94 said:

I mean, I don't want a charity chuckle.  I was going for funny.  If it wasn't funny then just say so.

In unrelated news, I've decided I'm going to buy and wear that Ricciardo "Texas Shoey" t-shirt to the Dell-McLaren event before the USGP.  Maybe it'll catch Danny's eye... :)

I mentioned this to my daughter and now she wants to hang around the Moody after (or skip) class that day. 🤘

Link to Tshirt? 

i bought earlybird tickets for next year.  S$450 (about $320 US), I thought that was pretty decent for the Pandang grandstand which is next to the stages.  This year I paid (S$700) and I didn't have a seat for the race (pit grandstand first 2 days, walk around 3rd day).  I hope it doesn't f'n rain...

16 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

i bought earlybird tickets for next year.  S$450 (about $320 US), I thought that was pretty decent for the Pandang grandstand which is next to the stages.  This year I paid (S$700) and I didn't have a seat for the race (pit grandstand first 2 days, walk around 3rd day).  I hope it doesn't f'n rain...

You live/work in Singapore? Or just headed out there for the race?

On 10/2/2022 at 5:32 PM, G650 said:

I'm glad Singapore is back, but this was a very strange race

The visual of all the buildings and the lit up track through the middle of the city is insane. It's like science fiction.

But that race was slow and boring.