Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

9 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

You live/work in Singapore? Or just headed out there for the race?

I live here.  I am very close to downtown and the "track".  I walk on some of the course every night (except the last month while they have had to closed off).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

BTW, Craig Slater told Ted today that there were no major cap breaches,  less than 1 million per team, and that the talk of massive over spend were teams stirring the pot. Also said the certificates will not go out tomorrow as was speculated.

Edited by wood

Random F1 thought -- I want a theme park that puts in a roller coaster in the shape of a famous track and then you get to ride it at the speed/braking/g-forces of driving it as an F1 track. Or maybe if that's too extreme, 1/2 the speed/forces.

Really I just want to experience what it would be like to take a full-out lap in an F1 car.

On 10/3/2022 at 7:48 AM, ConferenceRoom said:

Riding his bumper is a gross exaggeration. Lando dropped him in 2 laps. 

Updated components: Sidepod Inlet, Diffuser, Cooling Louvres, Front Corner, Floor Body, Floor Fences

McLaren brought the largest upgrade package to Singapore, but were only able to fit it to Lando’s car. 

Not sure it would have made a difference in the discussion but still a variable. 

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, any F1 tracks (e.g. COTA) that have a karting circuit next to it that isn't the exact same layout as the real track is totally missing the ball. 

Yeah COTA's track is ok, but it's limited to the parking lot size limitations and elevation changes. Hellmund originally wanted a dedicated kart track across COTA Blvd. It would have been easy to make a reasonably good replica there.

Also, COTA doesn't maintain their karts for shit. Half the time you get one that pulls badly to one side, has terrible brakes, engine runs rough, cuts out, is just slow AF, etc. It was so bad we stopped going there. Driveway Austin was great. Well-maintained karts, standing grid starts, fast, fun track where you could race well, etc. Now it's gone and we're left with K1 and COTA afaik.

7 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Does any of that really matter when the cars aren't going full bore due to the wet?

Depends on what the upgrades were. Some upgrades could be a performance differentiator in the rain. I have no idea what their upgrades were though.

The cars certainly weren't neutralized at that point in the race so I would think those updates counted for something, but only for tenths. Lando was driving seconds faster than Daniel. I haven't seen anything about why they put Daniel on the softs for the restart. Crofty suggested it was because he was more comfortable with the softs in that scenario, that he could switch them on a lot more than the mediums. Maybe they wanted to see if Daniel could pass Lando on the restart and then go after Carlos and revert  if he couldn't make the move. At the end of the day Daniel got his best finish of the season and McLaren moved ahead of Alpine so I was gruntled. 

On 10/5/2022 at 8:24 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, any F1 tracks (e.g. COTA) that have a karting circuit next to it that isn't the exact same layout as the real track is totally missing the ball. 

Also, there should be a 20 lap kart race on said circuit by the drivers and make the winner get a championship point or something. Would be awesome to see them duke it out in a little kart race like that on identical karts.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, faps said:

Also, there should be a 20 lap kart race on said circuit by the drivers and make the winner get a championship point or something. Would be awesome to see them duke it out in a little kart race like that on identical karts.

It would. Pre-GP kart races have been suggested many times. And yeah, what ConferenceRoom said.

crofty said checo is number 11, in his 11th season, it's been 11 years since someone one both singapore and monaco in the same year, "sergio perez" is 11 letters, he was in garage number 11, and he crossed the line at 11:11:11 pm sinagpore time. 

Jon Stewart Reaction GIF

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

F1 scheduled this FP2 for 90 minutes in order to test the 2023 tires. But it's wet so they won't run the test. But it's still 90 minutes. But the teams won't run any additional laps because they don't want the wear on the engines. Or drivers binning cars in the wet (hi Mick).

feel just terrible for Mick. hope he gets a seat next year.

the idea that f1 is going to have a 36 year old Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulkenberg but not a 24 y/o Mick Schumacher is a failure on the sport entirely.

just hacks me off that Haas has a ton of built in reasons for them to be the "American team" but are owned by a piece of shit, who spends as little as possible and hamstrings his own team.

really, who is here to see Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulkenberg and KMag? that is one of the least exciting driver pairings in a while for me. i like both of them, but they just don't move the needle at all.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

pirelli's head of motorsport sat down in the booth with for the first ~45 minutes and talked tires.  which sounds boring but was actually pretty interesting all the considerations they have, where they're going with development, how they view potential rules or format changes, etc.  worth a watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NoName said:

the idea that f1 is going to have a 36 year old Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulkenberg but not a 24 y/o Mick Schumacher is a failure on the sport entirely.

just hacks me off that Haas has a ton of built in reasons for them to be the "American team" but are owned by a piece of shit, who spends as little as possible and hamstrings his own team.

really, who is here to see Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuulkenberg and KMag? that is one of the least exciting driver pairings in a while for me. i like both of them, but they just don't move the needle at all.

Is Hulkenberg confirmed? Because if so, then yeah, that's a boring lineup. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

pirelli's head of motorsport sat down in the booth with for the first ~45 minutes and talked tires.  which sounds boring but was actually pretty interesting all the considerations they have, where they're going with development, how they view potential rules or format changes, etc.  worth a watch. 

totally agree, i enjoyed it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

None of us can stand the lesser qualified pay drivers who keep better drivers from getting seats. F1 drivers are younger across the board now than they ever have been, and getting younger every year. Why should a Schumacher get a seat over a better Hulkenburg simply because of his age?

IMHO F1, as the self-described  'Pinnacle of Motorsport' should feature the best drivers, regardless of age, not the best young drivers. Thus we have people like Fernando Alonso producing at an extremely high level even into his 40s, consistently outperforming much younger teammates, with no sign of stopping soon. I agree re: KMag, but I rate Hulkk fairly highly and I rate both of them well above Mick. He'd been doing a little bit better of late, and he seems like a good guy, but he's just not ever going to be a star at this level, or even average imho.

The longer the KMags, Schumachers, Mazepins, Latifis, etc hold onto those seats, the more you have better-qualified drivers being kept from those seats - whether they're 30 years old or teenagers still in F2.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

Yeah it was pretty interesting. I esp like the Qualifying setup with Hards for Q1, Mediums for Q2, and Softs for Q3. Did I hear correctly that they're going to trial that at 2 races next year?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wood said:

None of us can stand the lesser qualified pay drivers who keep better drivers from getting seats. F1 drivers are younger across the board now than they ever have been, and getting younger every year. Why should a Schumacher get a seat over a better Hulkenburg simply because of his age?

IMHO F1, as the self-described  'Pinnacle of Motorsport' should feature the best drivers, regardless of age, not the best young drivers. Thus we have people like Fernando Alonso producing at an extremely high level even into his 40s, consistently outperforming much younger teammates, with no sign of stopping soon. I agree re: KMag, but I rate Hulkk fairly highly and I rate both of them well above Mick. He'd been doing a little bit better of late, and he seems like a good guy, but he's just not ever going to be a star at this level, or even average imho.

The longer the KMags, Schumachers, Mazepins, Latifis, etc hold onto those seats, the more you have better-qualified drivers being kept from those seats - whether they're 30 years old or teenagers still in F2.

first of all, i think Alonso is absolutely the Tom Brady of F1 in that i don't think folks are going to be that good when they are that old.

all that said, i don't think it's age alone, but we know what hulk is. solid enough mid tier driver. if he was that good, wouldn't he have gotten one of the seats in 2020, 2021 or this year in 2022? how many drivers since 2000 have been good but not been able to find a seat, any seat, for 3 years?

i disagree with looping those 4 together by the way. 2 are *clearly* pay drivers (Latifi/Mazepin.) Kmag is both older and not that good BUT had Haas over a barrel and got a seat (says a lot they didn't roll with Hulk in the first place?)

does Schumacher belong in that group (Kmag/Latifi) based on his actual results? or was the 2020 F2 class kind of shitty i remember it was a compressed year? my understanding is generally that winning in your first year in f2 says a ton, second year says something but after that generally it says a lot about what/who you aren't.

i like Mick personally and am willing to throw away last year. shitbox car (0 points all year, 13 points behind Alfa! threw away the year going for 2022 car) - but he pretty clearly was a lot better than Mazepin - who to be clear may be the worst driver in the modern era.

at the end of the day, you are probably right that he isn't a star and he isn't average. i also understand why Haas would roll with him with the dollar difference between finishing say 7th vs 9th.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, NoName said:

first of all, i think Alonso is absolutely the Tom Brady of F1 in that i don't think folks are going to be that good when they are that old.

all that said, i don't think it's age alone, but we know what hulk is. solid enough mid tier driver. if he was that good, wouldn't he have gotten one of the seats in 2020, 2021 or this year in 2022? how many drivers since 2000 have been good but not been able to find a seat, any seat, for 3 years?

i disagree with looping those 4 together by the way. 2 are *clearly* pay drivers (Latifi/Mazepin.) Kmag is both older and not that good BUT had Haas over a barrel and got a seat (says a lot they didn't roll with Hulk in the first place?)

That's the thing, as much as I want F1 seats to be filled by the 20 best drivers in open-wheel racing, they just aren't. Far from it. Hulk wasn't forced out because he wasn't good. He's very good. He's at the very least better than Ocon, whom Alpine has made sure is going to be in F1 through 2025. I'd rate Hulk in the top 10 of this year's drivers. At minimum he's better than Zhou, Tsunoda, Ocon, Stroll (who he backs up right now), KMag, Mick, Latifi, and Danny Ric at his current level,. As good or better than Bottas, Gasly, and Vettel, imho

The reason Haas didn't roll with Hulk when they signed Mick is because of the Ferrari tie-in for that seat, which seems to have ended according to Gunther iirc. Ferrari wanted to see what they had in Mick. 

Renault was hoping to upgrade with Danny. Didn't work out that way.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah it was pretty interesting. I esp like the Qualifying setup with Hards for Q1, Mediums for Q2, and Softs for Q3. Did I hear correctly that they're going to trial that at 2 races next year?

Yep but don’t know which two

That was a really good segment and they need to do more of that and not just tires.
  • Hook 'Em 1