Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

Just now, Fastbreak said:

Like last year, the 3-4 times max went off the track and got 0 penalties? Including colliding with Lewis once.

Yeah…

Red Bull is obviously the better car, but they get home cooking in all rulings.

Dude. That was as obvious a situation to penalize someone for going off track and gaining an advantage as you're likely to ever see. We could go back through the races of every single F1 driver and probably pretty easily find scores of less blatant incidents where they weren't penalized but maybe should have been. Last year, this year, or any year. And that includes Lewis. You should be upset with Chuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Dude. That was as obvious a situation to penalize someone for going off track and gaining an advantage as you're likely to ever see. We could go back through the races of every single F1 driver and probably pretty easily find scores of less blatant incidents where they weren't penalized but maybe should have been. Last year, this year, or any year. And that includes Lewis. You should be upset with Chuck.

Show 1 time Max was penalized

Show 1 time Max was penalized

I'm not gonna do that, because it's stupid. You really don't think Max has ever been penalized? If so, then there's nothing I can do to help you..

I can think of a huge one that went in Lewis's favor against RBR right off the top of my head, in Monaco, when Danny Ric was on his gearbox for a bit and pressured Lewis into overcooking the entry to the nouvelle chicane, cutting the chicane badly. The only way he kept the position was by going off track. Should have been told to give up the spot, but was told nothing at all. Oh, and Austria when Lewis was outside track limits at one turn for a huge chunk of the race. The FIA said nada until Max and the team started talking about doing it too, then they dropped the hammer on it. The idea that RBR gets all the calls is just nonsense. You should be upset with Chuck for this one, not the stewards.

• Like 2

You mean like a day earlier when Max just happened to turn his wheel into Norris as he passed.

Let me look at the penalty for that…

Oh — jack and shit.

I mean ... even Jenson said that one was a bit on both drivers, as Lando could easily see Max going slow there and probably shouldn't have been passing at such a high speed. Max was trying to accelerate (I guess to either get out of the way or to get some heat into the tires), but they had gone cold and as soon as he hit the throttle the back end broke loose. 

And just for kicks, I looked it up. Max has accrued more penalty points (28) than any other driver, including a few times for gaining an advantage off track. Remember Austin? 21 of those points have expired, but even so, only two drivers have more points on their SLs than Max does.

And the way Max checked out today, it probably wouldn't have mattered if they had penalized him yesterday.

• Like 2

Mclaren’s only strategy today seemed to be to get Lando in front of Danny. 

after putting Lando for Inters, they left Danny out on the wets for two more full laps before bringing him in (with the rest of the field pit stops cycled) to swap tires dropping him from net 8 to 14, three spots behind Lando. 

• Rage+1 3

Like last year, the 3-4 times max went off the track and got 0 penalties? Including colliding with Lewis once.

Yeah…

Yea. Last year should definitely affect yesterday’s race.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The Ocon v Hamilton battle was fun. I'm glad Vettel finished well. 

I think that was an obvious penalty on LeClair. 

It is amazing to me how different cars react so differently to the same tires.

It's also insane how well these guys drive in the wet. 

Did I miss a declaration from Honda this weekend that they are staying in the sport? 

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Nobody talking about the tractor on track? We lost Jules to that stupid shit and we haven’t learned a single goddamn thing. Stewards are a fucking clown show.

Agreed, but is that on the stewards? I would have thought it'd be Race Control, but I can't honestly say with 100% cetainty.

ETA: Oh, and there was a marshal right by the tractor. Very scary.

Edited by wood

54 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

The Ocon v Hamilton battle was fun. I'm glad Vettel finished well. 

I think that was an obvious penalty on LeClair. 

It is amazing to me how different cars react so differently to the same tires.

It's also insane how well these guys drive in the wet. 

Did I miss a declaration from Honda this weekend that they are staying in the sport? 

Yeah I've seen a lot of F1 and other racing in the wet, and last night they were still making my eyes pop out of my head with the speed they were showing with that amount of water on the track, and with the lower downforce of these cars.

Also, apparently the race was supposed to go one lap further (end of time plus 1 lap). That's what I was expecting, but the director showing replays multiple times rather than showing the actual racing on the track threw me off. I never realized they hadn't done it. Unreal. Would have been huge for Alonso and maybe others. That battle between him and Vettel coming to the line was phenomenal.

Agreed, but is that on the stewards? I would have thought it'd be Race Control, but I can't honestly say with 100% cetainty.
ETA: Oh, and there was a marshal right by the tractor. Very scary.

Yeah, I mistyped. Race Control has been slow to react all year and when they do react it’s in such a way that puts drivers and marshals in danger.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Yeah, I mistyped. Race Control has been slow to react all year and when they do react it’s in such a way that puts drivers and marshals in danger.

Yeah imho they need to pick the best race director they have, and make him refuse a very lucrative offer to be the full time race director. Even if both Rds are pretty good, race direction will never be as consisten and crisp with 2 or 3 of them rotating as it would be with just one. I've also been saying for years that they should have permanent, trained stewards, or at least a core group of them who travel, plus a local or two at each circuit ... for the same reasons, continuity and consistency.

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Mclaren’s only strategy today seemed to be to get Lando in front of Danny. 

It's been their only strategy all year I'd say.

I am definitely going to grill Zak Brown on it when we have what I expect to be extended conversational interaction in a couple of weeks.... ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, wood said:

Also, apparently the race was supposed to go one lap further (end of time plus 1 lap). That's what I was expecting, but the director showing replays multiple times rather than showing the actual racing on the track threw me off. I never realized they hadn't done it. Unreal. Would have been huge for Alonso and maybe others. That battle between him and Vettel coming to the line was phenomenal.

does actual video of this exist beyond the visor cam and fan recordings? i want to see it!

On 10/9/2022 at 3:56 AM, Fastbreak said:

Yeah…

Lol. Salty.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

does actual video of this exist beyond the visor cam and fan recordings? i want to see it!

I dunno. I haven't seen anything other than the visor cams. I'm sure video exists, as the cameras are always in the same positions and wouyld have been running, but I don't lknow if any has been released.

39 minutes ago, wood said:

I dunno. I haven't seen anything other than the visor cams. I'm sure video exists, as the cameras are always in the same positions and wouyld have been running, but I don't lknow if any has been released.

someone on twitter yesterday said it was shown on DAZN Spain, but haven't seen it posted anywhere.

here is the extended visor cam:

image.thumb.png.07d81960a90225c0dbf763a473c482b9.png

Edited by NoName

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

someone on twitter yesterday said it was shown on DAZN Spain, but haven't seen it posted anywhere.

here is the extended visor cam:

image.thumb.png.07d81960a90225c0dbf763a473c482b9.png

Cool. Thanks for posting. I think the "overtake Denied" didn't pop up until he crossed the finish line, which is right at the start of the grandstand.

• Hook 'Em 1

Funny thing ... some of the Alpine fans over on Autosport who are butthurt over Alonso taking a better offer are saying he fucked up his exit of 18 there, coming to the line.  They're regards though (read: French). They seem to think it had nothing to do with Alonso being on the inside exiting 18. Unfortunately, the laws of physics are a thing, so yeah, it mattered. Alonso was on the inside, couldn't carry as much speed there as Vettel could on the outside, and was never going to get a cleaner exit than Vettel was, regardless of the tire situation. It was never a given that Alonso was going to get past Vettel or even catch him on that last lap in the first place. Far from it, and the visor cam just reinforces that. It would have been pretty special if he had. The fact that he missed by 0.001s or 0.01s  doesn't indicate in any way that he fucked it up. He took the only line that gave him a shot to pip Vettel at the finish line, and came up just a smidgen short. Had he had the extra lap that the race was supposed to have, he very likely would have beaten Vettel. He would have had position into T1.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I've seen a lot of F1 and other racing in the wet, and last night they were still making my eyes pop out of my head with the speed they were showing with that amount of water on the track, and with the lower downforce of these cars.

Just watching Max take the outside line on the very first corner made my hands sweat. That was intense.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Pretty much what's been expected for a few days. 

The  funny thing is that now some people are clamoring for major breach penalties when all the teams agreed last year to the differentiation between a minor breach and a major breach. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've found, in my many years, that it's always best to ignore completely, the opinions and statements of any and all French racing fans people.  They know even less about racing, than they do about preparing Tex-Mex.

Yep, which is ironic, given their racing heritage. Oh, and I fixed that for you.

• Haha 1

Sunday seemed like one giant clusterfuck:

1. No one seemed to know the points allocation, full or partial.  You'd have thought some official clarifying announcement would have been made about points once the race restarted, that full points were going to be awarded so long as the race wasn't halted again.

2. Max you're the champion.  Wait, maybe you aren't.  Yes, now you are.  Do I sit in the champion throne? No? Yes? Are you sure? 

3. The tractor fiasco.  WTF, especially after Jules. Not only that, Alonso came damn close to hitting Sainz.

4. As others have noted... maybe move the Japanese GP out of monsoon season?

5. One lap after the time ended or not? Most teams seemed not to know.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2

I understand the organizers in Japan wanting to keep it at the current date because the championship historically has a decent chance of being decided there. However, there are so many races before and after Japan now that if the championship is being decided at Suzuka, it's a beatdown anyway. Move the race up, have the cherry blossoms in full regalia, and limit the chances for death tractors to be littered around the track. 

Personally, I'd like for Abu Dhabi to be moved up as well and let Brazil be the final round. We have four races in the Middle East and one in South America; lets give Sao Paolo its time to shine. 

Edited by ConferenceRoom
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Sunday seemed like one giant clusterfuck:

2. Max you're the champion.  Wait, maybe you aren't.  Yes, now you are.  Do I sit in the champion throne? No? Yes? Are you sure? 

This one made me laugh. The video of him going to sit in that big ass chair, looking/feeling awkward, before heading back into the cooldown room saying "I feel a bit lonely" was classic. 

Just seems like a dude that want to do nothing but race. Everything else is noise.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

This one made me laugh. The video of him going to sit in that big ass chair, looking/feeling awkward, before heading back into the cooldown room saying "I feel a bit lonely" was classic. 

Just seems like a dude that want to do nothing but race. Everything else is noise.

This, 100% imho.

4 minutes ago, wood said:

That's quite a drop. People selling off because the WDC is decided already?

I feel like it was that way last year too. A Saturday ticket is still $100+ after fees. Sunday is $300+.

Then you add in parking and the hassle of COTA. 

Just posted because of the conversation a few weeks back. If you've never seen the cars, then Friday is a good way to do it without much cost or hassle. If you really want to watch the race, then get F1Tv.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

9 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I feel like it was that way last year too. A Saturday ticket is still $100+ after fees. Sunday is $300+.

Then you add in parking and the hassle of COTA. 

Just posted because of the conversation a few weeks back. If you've never seen the cars, then Friday is a good way to do it without much cost or hassle. If you really want to watch the race, then get F1Tv.

what's the selling point for F1TV at this point?