2021 CFP National Title: Georgia vs Bama

Helobious

The problem with all these discussions is that no one can agree on what the main purpose of the playoff is for. 

- Is it to let the best teams decide a champion on the field?

- Is it to determine which conference champion is the best team?

- Is it to help parity? 

- Is it to avoid rematches and produce interesting games?

You can’t have a system that meets all those goals equally. And if you’re honest with yourself, your own priorities change depending on how your team/conference or team/conference you hate is doing. 

If this was 2008 and we had a playoff almost every person arguing for the sanctity of conference championships would be losing their gotdamn minds if only BlowU got into a playoff along with 10-4 Virginia Tech. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The problem with all these discussions is that no one can agree on what the main purpose of the playoff is for. 

- Is it to help parity? 
You can’t have a system that meets all those goals equally. And if you’re honest with yourself, your own priorities change depending on how your team/conference or team/conference you hate is doing. 

If this was 2008 and we had a playoff almost every person arguing for the sanctity of conference championships would be losing their gotdamn minds if only BlowU got into a playoff along with 10-4 Virginia Tech. 

For me, forever and always is to award the best team based on having the best season. It’s rarely perfect though. I don’t give a shit about a tournament winner as that method has flaws. And when you expand to allow playoff home games, that’s bogus. Some team gets a bye, bogus.

Again, we lack parity now because of bull shit cheating and preferential treatment. OU would still lead the Big 12 by quite a few titles but they’d have fewer if the officials weren’t in their back pocket. Bama and Georgia are where they are because of player management tactics. The Aggies are trying to get there.

In college football you have too many teams with unbalanced schedules and play too few games. Rematches are largely bullshit. If you lose going away like Georgia to Bama then win the last 5 minutes largely because Bama couldn’t get TDs rather than FGs, then I’m not convinced Georgia is better. They have not proven it on the field, but they did win the last one.

You can keep chasing this perfect playoff methodology, but there are costs to it.

64 teams, 8 conferences and champs. Only champs advance. Take the non-con out of the schools hands. Rotate conferences after playing home and home. Random seeding for the tournament. In order to be the best, you’ve got to beat the best. If it comes round 1 so be it. You could still have bowls for non-tournament schools if you wanted. but the single, oversight entity sets those conference tie-ins. Now you have fewer teams, more balanced schedules, everyone shares in the revenue to promote parity (it still won’t happen), and an equal opportunity to make the tourney.

good luck getting the SEC to give away power. Some of your longtime friends and foes you will never see again. Who knows what happens to some smaller schools that bank on the big payout.

31 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

For me, forever and always is to award the best team based on having the best season. It’s rarely perfect though. I don’t give a shit about a tournament winner as that method has flaws. And when you expand to allow playoff home games, that’s bogus. Some team gets a bye, bogus.

Again, we lack parity now because of bull shit cheating and preferential treatment. OU would still lead the Big 12 by quite a few titles but they’d have fewer if the officials weren’t in their back pocket. Bama and Georgia are where they are because of player management tactics. The Aggies are trying to get there.

In college football you have too many teams with unbalanced schedules and play too few games. Rematches are largely bullshit. If you lose going away like Georgia to Bama then win the last 5 minutes largely because Bama couldn’t get TDs rather than FGs, then I’m not convinced Georgia is better. They have not proven it on the field, but they did win the last one.

You can keep chasing this perfect playoff methodology, but there are costs to it.

64 teams, 8 conferences and champs. Only champs advance. Take the non-con out of the schools hands. Rotate conferences after playing home and home. Random seeding for the tournament. In order to be the best, you’ve got to beat the best. If it comes round 1 so be it. You could still have bowls for non-tournament schools if you wanted. but the single, oversight entity sets those conference tie-ins. Now you have fewer teams, more balanced schedules, everyone shares in the revenue to promote parity (it still won’t happen), and an equal opportunity to make the tourney.

good luck getting the SEC to give away power. Some of your longtime friends and foes you will never see again. Who knows what happens to some smaller schools that bank on the big payout.

Every other sport settles it on the field. It's not about a retrospective evaluation of the season.

As a Chiefs fan, 100% they win the Super Bowl if the two doofus linemen hadn't gotten rona from the barber shop and missed the game. If the NFL did a "season evaluation" then the Chiefs are back-to-back, but that's not how the real world works.

I thought the 4 best teams made the playoff. I thought the 2 best teams made the championship game. I thought the best team won that game. I'd understand the rabble rabble a bit more if Bama was undefeated and lost their first game in the title game after already beating Georgia but they weren't. 

Every other sport settles it on the field. It's not about a retrospective evaluation of the season.
As a Chiefs fan, 100% they win the Super Bowl if the two doofus linemen hadn't gotten rona from the barber shop and missed the game. If the NFL did a "season evaluation" then the Chiefs are back-to-back, but that's not how the real world works.

And every other sport pales in comparison to D1 college football in my opinion. So much so that I’m willing to pay, out of my own pocket for season tickets, OU tickets, the occasional road game and some bowl games. Part of that value for the OU game was what used to be the all or nothing nature of it. You lose. Better luck next year.

I can count on one hand the number of NFL and NBA games I’ve attended in my life. It’s so damn good cause it has a playoff. Yet it’s not inspiring me enough to attend.

It’s done differently in D1 college football. Nothing more perfect than 2005. No sport ever got it more right than that year in that sport.

This “every other sport settles it on the field” is a bit of bullshit. One, I ask you to name me one team that loses a bunch of games and still wins the football national championship. Two, everyone knows sports are about matchups which can dictate who actually wins. In a tournament that is more likely to happen.

This year we had two high level repeat matchups. BU is not better than OSU. You cannot tell me BU is better and have me convinced. But who is b12 champs? Then comparing the two Bama-UGa matchups. Georgias best argument to say they’re better is not head-to-heat but the season long butt kickings they deliver. Oh and they were fortunate Bama lost two WRs. So again, throwing away the value of you only get one shot is negative for my experiences. There really isn’t a question as to who were the two best teams. They played in a winner take all.

There’s no perfect scenario at any level. Pro football has fewer teams, more games, somewhat balanced scheduling. They don’t even get the best teams in the playoffs. Yeah the Colts screwed up but the Eagles aren’t better than them. The Colts could legit beat a number of playoff teams. That happens every year. College basketball plays 2 to 3 times as many games. College baseball is 4 times as many games. That decreases chances of picking the wrong team for the tourneys yet every year they screw up the matchups. The College World Series is great, but people don’t give a shit in the regular season. They don’t in basketball either. I guess I’d say use caution about giving a damn about 1 month of the season at the expense of blowing off 3-4 months.

The purpose of the playoff is to make money. Pretty sure it’s been successful at that, and further perpetuating SEC/ND/Clemson heavyweights making it due to extensive media exposure, repeated visits to the ‘playoffs’ and some help from NIL.  

Im still amazed Cincinnati made it.  Really think though UCF a few years back would have been a more competitive one to finally break through.  Now they’ll use the beat down as an excuse to try spotting a third SEC team in there. 

16 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

- Is it to help parity? 

No.  The purpose will always be to let the teams with the best chances get in to prove it on the field.  And you select objectively.  With 4 or 8 or 12 teams, the best team in 2008 would have gotten in as a wild card and won their 2nd MNC in 4 years.  TCU should have had a chance in 2014 (and 2010).

Did a search and did not see this posted anywhere, but I guess past Tide qb Jay Barker took the loss hard.

Jay Barker arrested after attempting to hit estranged wife with car

Former Alabama quarterback Jay Barker was arrested early Saturday morning on a felony assault charge after he allegedly tried to hit his estranged wife with a car.

Barker was arrested by the Davidson County (Tennessee) Sheriff's Office just after 4 a.m. on Saturday on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. According to the Tennessean, Barker tried to hit his wife, country singer Sara Evans, and another person with his car after a party early Saturday morning. 

From The Tennesseean:

Documents on file with Metro Nashville General Sessions Court said the people in the vehicle were leaving a party around 1:30 a.m. Saturday. As they pulled into the driveway of a nearby home, Barker allegedly reversed his vehicle “at a high rate of speed attempting to hit them, but missed,” according to the arrest affidavit.

The vehicle's occupants contacted police after Barker drove away from the home, the affidavit states. Police made contact with Barker when he later drove by the house.

According to Al.com, Evans filed for divorce from Barker in August and cited "inappropriate marital conduct" after they separated in April. The couple has been married for 12 years and it's the second marriage for both Evans and Barker.

Barker, 49, is a longtime Birmingham radio host and sports talk personality. He was the quarterback for the Crimson Tide when Alabama won the national title in 1992 after going 13-0.

Barker was 132-of-243 passing for 1,614 yards and seven touchdowns and nine interceptions that season. He finished fifth in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1994 after going 139-of-226 passing for 1,996 yards and 14 TDs and five interceptions. He was behind Rashaan Salaam, Ki-Jana Carter, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins in the voting and just ahead of Warren Sapp.

Barker was taken in the fifth round of the 1995 NFL draft by the Green Bay Packers but never played in an NFL game.

Jay Barker and Sara Evans in 2012. (Photo by Christopher Polk/ACMA2012/Getty Images for ACM)

Jay Barker and Sara Evans in 2012. (Photo by Christopher Polk/ACMA2012/Getty Images for ACM)

On 1/14/2022 at 6:03 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

- Is it to help parity? 

The main purpose of the playoff is to make money, though they do it with one hand tied behind their backs because university presidents still wield a considerable amount of power, in partnership with their conferences, and they are, at least ostensibly, trying to feed the main mission of the universities - education - and look out for the interests of the student athletes.

That said, every method of crowning a champion is going to reward certain aspects over others.  64 team tournament (NCAAM), 7 game series (MLB), playoff brackets (NFL&NBA) all require slightly different characteristics to win it all.  The goal of any playoff should be to reward the best team, but it turns out that's a more complicated question than it appears.  No playoff system is perfect, it can't be, but what we have now in NCAAFB is better than anything we've ever had.  It's still ridiculously inadequate.  I'm ready for an 8 or 16 team playoff yesterday.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Limiting to conference championships eliminates ALL the subjectivity in qualifying for the 4-team playoff. It's no longer an eye test. Win your conference and you get in. Play Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson in non-conference play, go 0-3 and you still know you have a path to the title if you beat Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State and one of those teams again in the Big 12 title game. And if you can't win your conference, how can you win a national championship? Until this thing goes to 12 teams, you SHOULD be required to win conference championship to get in IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

you SHOULD be required to win conference championship to get in IMO.

Interesting. No other league that I’m aware of has this requirement.

But I’m not like others. College football is better and should not model itself after others. But this makes perfect sense. How you can be a National champion if you are not a conference champion?

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Limiting to conference championships eliminates ALL the subjectivity in qualifying for the 4-team playoff. It's no longer an eye test. Win your conference and you get in. Play Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson in non-conference play, go 0-3 and you still know you have a path to the title if you beat Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State and one of those teams again in the Big 12 title game. And if you can't win your conference, how can you win a national championship? Until this thing goes to 12 teams, you SHOULD be required to win conference championship to get in IMO.

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Interesting. No other league that I’m aware of has this requirement.

But I’m not like others. College football is better and should not model itself after others. But this makes perfect sense. How you can be a National champion if you are not a conference champion?

Not anymore anyway.  Baseball used to.  Football used to.  1967 the Colts were 11-0-2 but lost their last game to the Rams who they had tied earlier.  Rams also finished 11-1-2.  Two best records in the NFL.  Rams went to the playoffs.  Colts stayed home.  Rams lost to the Packers.  Packers beat the Cowboys in the Ice Bowl for the NFL championship.

Did a search and did not see this posted anywhere, but I guess past Tide qb Jay Barker took the loss hard.

Former Alabama quarterback Jay Barker was arrested early Saturday morning on a felony assault charge after he allegedly tried to hit his estranged wife with a car.

Barker was arrested by the Davidson County (Tennessee) Sheriff's Office just after 4 a.m. on Saturday on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. According to the Tennessean, Barker tried to hit his wife, country singer Sara Evans, and another person with his car after a party early Saturday morning. 

From The Tennesseean:

Documents on file with Metro Nashville General Sessions Court said the people in the vehicle were leaving a party around 1:30 a.m. Saturday. As they pulled into the driveway of a nearby home, Barker allegedly reversed his vehicle “at a high rate of speed attempting to hit them, but missed,” according to the arrest affidavit.
The vehicle's occupants contacted police after Barker drove away from the home, the affidavit states. Police made contact with Barker when he later drove by the house.

According to Al.com, Evans filed for divorce from Barker in August and cited "inappropriate marital conduct" after they separated in April. The couple has been married for 12 years and it's the second marriage for both Evans and Barker.

Barker, 49, is a longtime Birmingham radio host and sports talk personality. He was the quarterback for the Crimson Tide when Alabama won the national title in 1992 after going 13-0.

Barker was 132-of-243 passing for 1,614 yards and seven touchdowns and nine interceptions that season. He finished fifth in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1994 after going 139-of-226 passing for 1,996 yards and 14 TDs and five interceptions. He was behind Rashaan Salaam, Ki-Jana Carter, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins in the voting and just ahead of Warren Sapp.

Barker was taken in the fifth round of the 1995 NFL draft by the Green Bay Packers but never played in an NFL game.

84f56b10-7709-11ec-bffa-05465762928b   Jay Barker and Sara Evans in 2012. (Photo by Christopher Polk/ACMA2012/Getty Images for ACM)  

I would be Sara Evans love slave. She is so hot.

From The Tennesseean:

84f56b10-7709-11ec-bffa-05465762928b   Jay Barker and Sara Evans in 2012. (Photo by Christopher Polk/ACMA2012/Getty Images for ACM)  

I would be Sara Evans love slave. She is so hot.

Not anymore anyway.  Baseball used to.  Football used to.  1967 the Colts were 11-0-2 but lost their last game to the Rams who they had tied earlier.  Rams also finished 11-1-2.  Two best records in the NFL.  Rams went to the playoffs.  Colts stayed home.  Rams lost to the Packers.  Packers beat the Cowboys in the Ice Bowl for the NFL championship.

I never knew that about the NFL in 1967. It seems like baseball division winners were not that long ago.