Graphic. Guy shoots neighbors pit which looked like it was going to attack.

crash_davis

11 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I have a small pack of feral cats I’m dealing with right now.  They annihilate bird life.  My dog kinda keeps them out of the yard, but they will retreat to my neighbors yard and just stare at me waiting to go back inside.  I keep hoping my community will get a coyote.

Bowl of milk and a box of Aguila .22 subs

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/28/2022 at 12:42 PM, T-shirt Sip said:

Most people that hear gun shots don't take the time to put on and zip up a big coat/hood and put on shoes before looking out the door. I think she was already wearing them because she was ready to go somewhere. I could be way off but that's very feasible to me.

The “ready to go” part doesn’t seem feasible to me.

Edited by Mole

On 1/28/2022 at 10:07 AM, BabaYaga said:

My aunt lives outside Coleman and raises horses.  Had a huge gaggle of feral cats that kept the vermin at bay.  Then the coyotes caught on.  In one night.  No more cats.  Talking dozens of cats.  At least the Guinea could get up in trees or on the roof.  

You need cats to remove the vermin, and a big dog(s) to keep away the coyotes.

for the original story, do we know if the dog was normally roaming the neighborhood or not? I know some keep their dogs inside 99% of the time but if you have outdoor dogs (full time or even partial) they can get out even if you do everything you can to prevent it.

Once I had a neighbor’s workers take out a few fence planks and go to lunch. I look outside to see my dogs running around the front yard and street.

I got the dogs, and then in the process of fixing the fence, I removed all of the effort that the workers had spent time all morning. It was a vacant lot that a developer was building a spec house. The workers were measuring and marking something (foundation, plumbing?) with string hammered into the fences. They got to repeat their work. Made me feel better.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2022 at 6:39 PM, fattyflattie said:

Me either. Shit I’ve got a fat sweetheart lab. That was a good shoot imo. 

All kinds of large dog. They get into a pack and get that mentality.  I’ve told this story before but friend of mines dad warned his neighbors like 4-5 times.  Dogs killed 2 calves in a week.  He took 5 (empty) collars back and left them on the front porch. 

Most ranchers will shoot any  stray dog they see on sight.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You need cats to remove the vermin, and a big dog(s) to keep away the coyotes.

for the original story, do we know if the dog was normally roaming the neighborhood or not? I know some keep their dogs inside 99% of the time but if you have outdoor dogs (full time or even partial) they can get out even if you do everything you can to prevent it.

Once I had a neighbor’s workers take out a few fence planks and go to lunch. I look outside to see my dogs running around the front yard and street.

I got the dogs, and then in the process of fixing the fence, I removed all of the effort that the workers had spent time all morning. It was a vacant lot that a developer was building a spec house. The workers were measuring and marking something (foundation, plumbing?) with string hammered into the fences. They got to repeat their work. Made me feel better.

They do control vermin.  But they don't stop at vermin.  They destroy everything, especially birds.  They are like land sharks, eating everything.  They also breed like rabbits and can get out of hand quickly....leading to inbreeding, disease, and fighting.  Jesus, the sounds of feral cats fighting and F-ing.  They're like little demons.  

We had a big problem at my g-parents ranch.  One eyed cats from fighting.  Missing ears.  Scars.  Mange, etc.  At one point it got so bad they brough me in with my pellet rifle, and then later .22 to try and cull them out

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

They do control vermin.  But they don't stop at vermin.  They destroy everything, especially birds.  They are like land sharks, eating everything.  They also breed like rabbits and can get out of hand quickly....leading to inbreeding, disease, and fighting.  Jesus, the sounds of feral cats fighting and F-ing.  They're like little demons.  

We had a big problem at my g-parents ranch.  One eyed cats from fighting.  Missing ears.  Scars.  Mange, etc.  At one point it got so bad they brough me in with my pellet rifle, and then later .22 to try and cull them out

Feral cats seem like a poor strategy. have some farm/ranch cats that you control via spay/neutering them and perhaps give them food as well.  the no-cost and no-work solution of feral cats probably won't work out like that want. 

10 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

My beagle pit mix, Amber was a cat killing machine. May she RIP. The stupid fuckers would ways run two feet up a tree trunk then stop and look around. That when she would snatch them and shake them to death. 

Could always hear that spine crackle like popcorn.  Miss that dog.

I went down a rabbit hole on YouTube about "ratters" in England and other countries.  They'd go to these farms infested with rats and turn the small dogs loose.  JFC they are efficient.  Talking hundreds of rats in an afternoon.  It's glorious to watch them work and shake those rats to death.  They also use ferrets to get into the really small holes and flush the rest of the rats out.

Get those rats!

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Feral cats seem like a poor strategy. have some farm/ranch cats that you control via spay/neutering them and perhaps give them food as well.  the no-cost and no-work solution of feral cats probably won't work out like that want. 

Problem is when the feral cats "move in".  Now you have a problem on your hands.  

My beagle pit mix, Amber was a cat killing machine. May she RIP. The stupid fuckers would ways run two feet up a tree trunk then stop and look around. That when she would snatch them and shake them to death. 
Could always hear that spine crackle like popcorn.  Miss that dog.

My Boxer and AB have 6-7 cat kills between them. And several birds. A couple of possums. A rat.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Per this video:

Shooter was going to take his daughter to the store, so that's why he went outside.

Shooter is an LEO of some sort, and a former concealed carry instructor. LEO's would be armed, but I'd be armed to if walking from my house to my car, not sure why many of the first responders to this post thought that was odd. 

First shot (.40 cal hollow points) didn't penetrate the dog's skull, per the shooter. 

Edited by jkates
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, huge said:

I was hunting on a guy's ranch I didn't know well and they had a couple of feral dogs in the area.  Our orders were to treat them like you would a hog.

Glad I didnt see any them K9.

Yep.  Ranchers and landowners have a very different perspective on destructive, invasive animals.  Not the same thing, but a neighboring landowner had a problem with goats.  Got out from somewhere else and they were missing up small sections of his fences, which in turn meant his cattle could get out.

So we took out a few crusty old Spanish goats over the weekend to help him out.  These weren't the domestic Boer-esq types you see at petting zoos.  

When I was a kid in Austin and my folks were at grad school @ Texas we lived in one of the co-ops and they had a lady there that raised rabbits for food.  My dad was from the country so he was fine, but my mom from Dallas still tells the stories of crying when they'd "process" one.

3 minutes ago, jkates said:

Per this video:

Shooter was going to take his daughter to the store, so that's why he went outside.

Shooter is an LEO of some sort, and a former concealed carry instructor. LEO's would be armed, but I'd be armed to if walking from my house to my car, not sure why many of the first responders to this post thought that was odd. 

First shot (.40 cal hollow points) didn't penetrate the dog's skull, per the shooter. 

Was curious about this.  Many, many concealed instructors carry ALL THE TIME.  Meaning in the home.  Home invasions, all that plus being comfortable carrying like you would your cell phone or car keys.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Bad situation for all involved. Ultimately it was neighbor’s mom’s fault for not properly securing the dog. It would’ve been miraculous if the shooter knew the first round knocked the dog out but was mostly superficial damage, before putting a couple in his abdomen. 

Now you have a loose pitbull with CTE......what could go wrong....;)