winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m loving this show.  

Reveal hidden contents

Oh, and Spencer Haywood - don’t Google it if you don’t want to be spoiled - but his story around this time is possibly the craziest pro sports story ever.  The circumcision thing is nothing compared to where they could take this, and I’m assuming they’re going to give him sufficient attention based on how they gave him an introduction with background info and who they cast in the role. 

One other thing minor deviation from real history is Pat Riley’s timeline.  He had been part of the broadcast team for a two years before this rather being brand new that year.  It doesn’t really make a difference to the story, but just a little creative license.

Fudging some details by a year or two doesn’t bother me, nor the 30/10 vs 29/10. There hasn’t been like an egregious fudge of the timeline like “hey that happened 5 years after this is set wtf” 

Edited by Js1

agree with sentiment... howeveah:

i have a hard time believing Pat Riley, stud player for Kentucky and later the king of slick; had a period of dorkdom where he merely toiled in the dungeons of the GW Forum.

46 minutes ago, slorch said:

the GW Forum

That reminds me....I was reading some article about the show and it mentioned the Great Western Forum was one of the first naming rights deals.  As a kid I didn’t realize it was named after a bank.  I just thought that it was in California and so the name fit.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

For instance, in the season opener vs the Clippers Kareem told Jack McKinney that the game would slow down in the fourth and he’d get his 30 points and 10 rebounds. He then hits the game-winning shot and McKinney looks at the stat sheet and is like, I’ll be damned — he had 30 and 10 just like he said he would. In reality, he had 29 and 10.

4e2d28a820e354635bf1d0d4743a321696e69c26

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Yes.  But, Bryant did fumble the ball out of bounds (with 0:02 left, not 0:04) and it was clearly Laker ball in the actual game, not some controversial call.

ok?

are you trying to start an argument with me?  i don't understand what's happening.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

ok?

are you trying to start an argument with me?  i don't understand what's happening.

Haha.  Not at all.  I am agreeing with you about the show fudging details.  Don Ford inbounded, not Magic, etc.  Kareem’s post game on-court interview was a real interview, not the “Allah akhbar” he uttered on the show and then turned around a left.

I wish I still had all of my Sports Illustrated VHS tapes of the dunk competitions and all the other other funny bits.  I think one was swat time or something like that.  Such a golden age.

Of course this lead to the adjustable height basketball goal and mini-tramp combination.  We were 10-13 and all stud athletes in the making.  We could fly!  I can't believe that nobody broke a foot.

Edited by Elvis

3 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Man, I miss that NBA.  Loved watching the Lakers back in those days.

people keep saying this (people who aren't really basketball fans i might add), and yet the game and its players have never been this good. there isn't a league in the world that comes even remotely close to having the surplus of talent that the NBA has. there's 450 roster spots in the league, and literally hundreds of thousands of world class players all trying to get in. seven footers who can handle, play point, pass like Magic, and shoot like Bird are aren't even unicorns anymore. the skill level, athleticism, and level of competition has never been higher. if you were bitching about the NBA and it was some time between 2000-2010, then ok, sure, you'd have a point. but anyone who says they loved the 80's but thinks today's game sucks can't possibly be in tune with today's nba. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This show keeps delivering.  Moves at an excellent pace and still develops/displays lots of characters somehow. And the cast keeps getting better. 

I think someone here said weeks ago that we probably wont see any NBA season bc show will focus on the front office and build up....wrong.

Bike safety  has come a long way. Fukin OUCH.  I haven't fact checked the ending

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

people keep saying this (people who aren't really basketball fans i might add), and yet the game and its players have never been this good. there isn't a league in the world that comes even remotely close to having the surplus of talent that the NBA has. there's 450 roster spots in the league, and literally hundreds of thousands of world class players all trying to get in. seven footers who can handle, play point, pass like Magic, and shoot like Bird are aren't even unicorns anymore. the skill level, athleticism, and level of competition has never been higher. if you were bitching about the NBA and it was some time between 2000-2010, then ok, sure, you'd have a point. but anyone who says they loved the 80's but thinks today's game sucks can't possibly be in tune with today's nba. 

It's a different game today than it was in the 80's.  I preferred the game then.  You like it now - well bully for you.  Great, go enjoy it.  I can't stand it. 

You consistently get defensive about any criticism towards today's game/players/league, but that's a YOU problem.  I'm comfortable with my choices.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Today’s NBA sucks. It’s watch someone try to cross someone up for 23 seconds and Jack up a 3 pointer. I went to my first NBA game in a few years and there were a combined 78 3pt shots taken. What’s fun about that. When Steph first started this trend is was amazing to see, but that novelty has worn off. I’m glad you enjoy it these days and I how you continue to enjoy it.

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

It's a different game today than it was in the 80's.  I preferred the game then.  You like it now - well bully for you.  Great, go enjoy it.  I can't stand it. 

You consistently get defensive about any criticism towards today's game/players/league, but that's a YOU problem.  I'm comfortable with my choices.

lol, i don't see how i'm the one getting defensive here, nor do i have a clue what you're referring to with my supposed "constant" defensive posts on the subject (my last post was my first post on it, so), but okay. if you say so.

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

This show keeps delivering.  Moves at an excellent pace and still develops/displays lots of characters somehow. And the cast keeps getting better. 

I think someone here said weeks ago that we probably wont see any NBA season bc show will focus on the front office and build up....wrong.

Bike safety  has come a long way. Fukin OUCH.  I haven't fact checked the ending

Winning Time: Is that really how Jack McKinney got in a bike wreck? - Silver Screen and Roll

It isn’t the most startling ending to an episode — but it is effectively true to form with what happened in real life, wildly enough. 

48 minutes ago, Hate said:

Today’s NBA sucks. It’s watch someone try to cross someone up for 23 seconds and Jack up a 3 pointer. I went to my first NBA game in a few years and there were a combined 78 3pt shots taken. What’s fun about that. When Steph first started this trend is was amazing to see, but that novelty has worn off. I’m glad you enjoy it these days and I how you continue to enjoy it.

have you watched the playoffs any time recently? the level of play and the competitive nature of the series' is better than its ever been. The Lakers won five titles in the 80's and played in another 3. That's 8/10 years with the same team representing the West in the Finals. the other two years the Rockets made it. the East wasn't much better. every single finals of the decade was played by either the Celtics, Sixers, or Pistons. so you had an entire decade where FIVE total teams played in the Finals. and again, the difference in skill level these days is immeasurable. if that's your cup of tea, that's fine, but don't go around saying that today's NBA sucks just because you preferred a far inferior product. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I liked the personalities of the 80s and 90s.  It's not that I got old, although I am getting old, but there just was something that was a lot of fun about those teams back then.  Similar to NASCAR and IndyCar back then - lots of cool personalities/individuals, these days, not so much.

Plus, as I think I've said in this very thread, you had players that spent years and years with the same time.  These days, when a player on a team somebody follows gets ridiculously good/comes into their own, fans start wondering when they'll jump to another team, and they'll keep jumping until they chase down a ring.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I liked the personalities of the 80s and 90s.  It's not that I got old, although I am getting old, but there just was something that was a lot of fun about those teams back then.  Similar to NASCAR and IndyCar back then - lots of cool personalities/individuals, these days, not so much.

Plus, as I think I've said in this very thread, you had players that spent years and years with the same time.  These days, when a player on a team somebody follows gets ridiculously good/comes into their own, fans start wondering when they'll jump to another team, and they'll keep jumping until they chase down a ring.

i hear you on all of this. i'm right there with you. i hate how buddy-buddy so many guys are, and how powerful players all want to hit up their group text so that they can all join the same team the next offseason. i loved it when guys hated each other, and wanted nothing more than to crush their opponents. John Stockton was a thug by today's standards. i definitely miss the level of animosity that used to exist among the best players in the league. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

have you watched the playoffs any time recently? the level of play and the competitive nature of the series' is better than its ever been. The Lakers won five titles in the 80's and played in another 3. That's 8/10 years with the same team representing the West in the Finals. the other two years the Rockets made it. the East wasn't much better. every single finals of the decade was played by either the Celtics, Sixers, or Pistons. so you had an entire decade where FIVE total teams played in the Finals. and again, the difference in skill level these days is immeasurable. if that's your cup of tea, that's fine, but don't go around saying that today's NBA sucks just because you preferred a far inferior product. 

dude, why do you keep talking about soccer, nobody likes soccer.

also i'm fine that they cancelled the nba in 2004.  i don't miss it at all.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

lol, i don't see how i'm the one getting defensive here, nor do i have a clue what you're referring to with my supposed "constant" defensive posts on the subject (my last post was my first post on it, so), but okay. if you say so.

I never used the word constant, so not sure why you have it in quotes. I asserted that you consistently get defensive about today's NBA. 

Judging by your last two posts on this thread, I clearly just pulled that idea out of thin air.  My apologies.

Back to the show. To me the interesting backdrop on all this is how the league was kind of hanging by a thread and Showtime and Bird really changed all that. Now its hard to imagine someone showing up to a Lakers game with a bag of tickets to give away, etc. 

19 minutes ago, bullzak said:

Back to the show. To me the interesting backdrop on all this is how the league was kind of hanging by a thread and Showtime and Bird really changed all that. Now its hard to imagine someone showing up to a Lakers game with a bag of tickets to give away, etc. 

It's even harder to imagine games being on tape-delay.

52 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I never used the word constant, so not sure why you have it in quotes. I asserted that you consistently get defensive about today's NBA. 

Judging by your last two posts on this thread, I clearly just pulled that idea out of thin air.  My apologies.

if you can cite one single time that i've "gotten defensive" (which has never happened in this thread to begin with, unless anyone who disagrees with you is "getting defensive" in your mind) about today's NBA then i will never post in this thread again. that's a promise.

with that said, you won't be able to do that, because you're making up stuff out of thin air and starting problems where there aren't any. stop it. stop having a problem with every single post that i make on every single forum. that's a you problem. 

Edited by shadow_operative

32 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you can cite one single time that i've "gotten defensive" (which has never happened in this thread to begin with, unless anyone who disagrees with you is "getting defensive" in your mind) about today's NBA then i will never post in this thread again. that's a promise.

with that said, you won't be able to do that, because you're making up stuff out of thin air and starting problems where there aren't any. stop it. stop having a problem with every single post that i make on every single forum. that's a you problem. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, bullzak said:

In that Jerry Buss interview from '87 posted earlier, he mentions proudly that the average NBA salary will be $500K the following season.  And he goes on to clarify that, "that is not the all-stars' salary, that is the average NBA player's salary!"  I don't even know what it is now, but man how times have changed.

I liked during the montage of gameplay it flashed to glimpse at younger Jack N on the baseline cheering.  And the shoutout to a little Kobe Bryant in the stands watching his dad play in the first game vs Clippers.  Fact checkers haven't been able to prove he was really there, but it was possible since it was his dad's first game as a Clipper.  RIP KB.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

At 2:02:30, that whole sequence that ends with Nixon stealing the ball and chunking it to Magic was awesome.  Nixon and Magic seemed to play really well together.

Two point guards, one of whom can transition to center in the blink of an eye.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:58 PM, Hate said:

This is an anachronistic observation which simply doesn't happen in today's NBA. If you're watching old VHS tapes from the 90s when everyone without the ball went to one side of the court while they watched 2 players go 1-on-1 for 45 minutes a game then you'd be onto something, but what you just described hasn't taken place with even minimal regularity in nearly 20 years.