winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

I did a little research on Tark’s Man, Weiss. It appears he was a bag man for the mob. He ferried money from Vegas to LA. He was skimming some of the money and was told repeatedly to stop. He did not. I believe he also had a $60k gambling debt. So yeah, absolutely nothing to do with Tark leaving UNLV for the Lakers, but the timing of his death wasn’t ideal for Buss. 

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Those of you who are waiting around for a whole lot of actual in-season basketball action are going to be extremely disappointed, I think.

At this point, it's a day-by-day series about the runup to the season. I thought I was going to be watching a 6-8 episode mini-series. Instead, it seems like it's going to be a 13 season show.

Agree with the Reilly takes in this thread -- just fantastic.

It's moving a little slow, but I guess there's also a lot going on prior to the season with a new owner. 

The show is great. I know much of it is fictionalized and way over the top, but the Jerry West portrayal is supposedly really over the top. I think it was well known that he was always depressed and miserable, but I don't think the angry / throwing tantrums / breaking shit stuff is accurate. There was an article in the Athletic about it where Gary Vitti, the trainer who has been with the Lakers for 100 years and was consulting on the project, walked off the set because of the way they were portraying West.

As mentioned, the casting has been great and I though they did a great job of casting the players. It's going to be interesting to see more of the basketball scenes to see how they pull it off. I couldn't believe how much the guy who plays Norm Nixon looks like him, and then I found out that it was his kid. That's pretty great.

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Basketball is the hardest sport to do well on film, and it usually shows. They have to depict two of the greatest players of all time. I'm perfectly okay with the lack of on-court scenes so far. 

Yeah I'm 100% fine with not showing the basketball. We know how that turns out. The behind-the-scenes stuff of how it all came together is more interesting to me.

But if I recall from the trailers, we will be seeing some basketball. "Larry Bird" is in the cast list also.  So we'll definitely see some.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It's going to be interesting to see more of the basketball scenes to see how they pull it off.

We're about at the point where they could just deep fake the actors faces onto actually game footage. 

"reeks like a gymsock farted"

"you're in here coaching like Anne Frank"

OMg, there are some funny lines in this flick.

Also, Pat Riley was the king of slick, and he looks like some kind of fuck up.  That part doesn't jive.

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, slorch said:

"reeks like a gymsock farted"

"you're in here coaching like Anne Frank"

OMg, there are some funny lines in this flick.

Also, Pat Riley was the king of slick, and he looks like some kind of fuck up.  That part doesn't jive.

I have no idea why this particular line made me cry/laugh, but:

"West hanging around like a fruit bat."

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I love this version of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Yes.

Grumpy/surly Kareem is awesome, especially contrasting with the infectious overbearing positivity of Magic.

Another great episode last night. And I loved the basketball theory stuff with Jack McKinney. The on-court stuff also looked good to me. Was it as good as actual NBA play? No; but it was good enough for the show that it wasn't a distraction.

On 3/14/2022 at 5:27 PM, Deej said:

I know Will Ferrell is upset he didn't get the role, but I can't imagine him being close to Reilly on this one. 

I know this is weeks late but imagine how hard the rest of the casting would be if they cast Ferrell as Buss. Casting guys to play Magic and Kareem is already incredibly difficult due to their size. Now imagine if the guy playing Buss is 6’3”. You’d have to cast a true 6’9” for magic.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I know this is weeks late but imagine how hard the rest of the casting would be if they cast Ferrell as Buss. Casting guys to play Magic and Kareem is already incredibly difficult due to their size. Now imagine if the guy playing Buss is 6’3”. You’d have to cast a true 6’9” for magic.

John C. Reilly is 6'2".

• Haha 2

On 3/23/2022 at 10:22 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The show is great. I know much of it is fictionalized and way over the top, but the Jerry West portrayal is supposedly really over the top. I think it was well known that he was always depressed and miserable, but I don't think the angry / throwing tantrums / breaking shit stuff is accurate. There was an article in the Athletic about it where Gary Vitti, the trainer who has been with the Lakers for 100 years and was consulting on the project, walked off the set because of the way they were portraying West.

As mentioned, the casting has been great and I though they did a great job of casting the players. It's going to be interesting to see more of the basketball scenes to see how they pull it off. I couldn't believe how much the guy who plays Norm Nixon looks like him, and then I found out that it was his kid. That's pretty great.

I was impressed with how the guy playing Magic actually moves like Magic on the court, especially the way he dribbles.  It's pretty distinctive.

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

"Jeanie Bean!"

"Jeanie Beanie what are you doing?"

Jeanie:

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Jeanie rolling up on Dad finger-banging the floozie was gold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Maybe fact, maybe fiction; but Kareem's Gunny Highway routine on Magic is entertaining.  However,  I would have straight up drank the orange juice right in front of him on the last day of camp.

On 3/28/2022 at 10:22 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yes.

Grumpy/surly Kareem is awesome, especially contrasting with the infectious overbearing positivity of Magic.

Another great episode last night. And I loved the basketball theory stuff with Jack McKinney. The on-court stuff also looked good to me. Was it as good as actual NBA play? No; but it was good enough for the show that it wasn't a distraction.

This show rocks 

We started this last week and love it so far. For the poster asking about whether your wife would like it, my wife knows dick about basketball and she’s very into it.

We were very disappointed to sit down to eat last night and realize episode 5 hasn’t been released yet. Ugh, gotta wait now.

17 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

We started this last week and love it so far. For the poster asking about whether your wife would like it, my wife knows dick about basketball and she’s very into it.

We were very disappointed to sit down to eat last night and realize episode 5 hasn’t been released yet. Ugh, gotta wait now.

Have her watch the Magic and Bird, and the Kareem documentaries on HBOMax.  They will fill in gaps and maybe make Winning Time even better.  

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Have her watch the Magic and Bird, and the Kareem documentaries on HBOMax.  They will fill in gaps and maybe make Winning Time even better.  

Watch these things if you want a factual description of these guys and their era.  Stick to Showtime if you want to be entertained by fictitious storytelling about real people.   

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I got MJ, Aykroyd and Tatum O'Neal -- who is the other black guy and the chick on the right?

Margo Kidder and...Marlon Jackson? Or is it Randy? 

Edited by Js1

One moment I loved but forgot to bring up... when Buss jumps into the pool in Palm Springs and yells "FUCK" underwater... 

Great double-homage of The Graduate and Boogie Nights when it shows Reed under water after busts his back doing the "full flip", lol.

• Like 1

I cant get over how much we are digging this show. From previews I was sure I would hate it. Adrien Brody as Pat Riley? Sure why the fuck not? Reilly as Buss was a masterstroke. Sorry Will Farrell they got it right. 

80s and 90s NBA was my wheelhouse and I didn't know any of this stuff. 

My wife is about to stroke out waiting for episodes to drop. 

The whole thing is insane and I just love it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 5:27 PM, TrashMaster G said:

I was impressed with how the guy playing Magic actually moves like Magic on the court, especially the way he dribbles.  It's pretty distinctive.

His one-handed long bounce pass off the dribble looked damn close to the real thing

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

watched all four episodes last night. really enjoying it. whoever plays jerry west is killing it, he's my favorite character so far. 

Jason Clarke. Terrific actor. He’s had a steady movie career. Probably best known for playing Tommy Caffee on the Showtime series Brotherhood. 

9 hours ago, WBT said:

His one-handed long bounce pass off the dribble looked damn close to the real thing

Especially with the one leg up while doing it. This show is so much fun.  Larry Wilmore was on Bill Simmons' podcast and told a few stories from growing up around that time in L.A..  His childhood friend is Bill Duffy ( an NBA agent) and Duffy,  who was apparently a stud high school bball player himself,  attended a 5 star  camp with Magic in high school and came home regaling them with all these Paul Bunyan stories of a 6'9" point guard named Magic doing full court wrap around passes. It reminded me of what it was like back then, before YouTube and the internet, where the feats of some cross the way high school legend seemed beyond belief.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Jason Clarke. Terrific actor. He’s had a steady movie career. Probably best known for playing Tommy Caffee on the Showtime series Brotherhood. 

I recognized him as Potemkin from that horrible Catherine the Great miniseries on HBO

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

watched all four episodes last night. really enjoying it. whoever plays jerry west is killing it, he's my favorite character so far. 

The opening to episode 3 where Buss and West are yelling at each other was awesome.  Hits close to home - most of us have probably had a similar experience as either a boss or an employee.