winning time: the rise of the lakers dynasty. hbo in march.

henrygandorf

Adam Abdul Jabbar, Kareem's youngest, was at San Antonio Academy at the same time as my son for a year before we put both kids at Keystone. He's the kid that eventually got sent to jail for stabbing someone.

I saw Kareem a few times around campus back then, seemed like quiet guy and people generally left him alone.

8 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Adam Abdul Jabbar, Kareem's youngest, was at San Antonio Academy at the same time as my son for a year before we put both kids at Keystone. He's the kid that eventually got sent to jail for stabbing someone.

I saw Kareem a few times around campus back then, seemed like quiet guy and people generally left him alone.

In happier, less stabby times:

211111-adam-abdul-jabbar-celebrity-famil

4 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

the funny thing is even though the characters are caricatures they are all likeable. So its not like they are doing some great disservice to them.

As Liberty Vallance once said, when the legend becomes fact, print the legend.  Wait, that doesn't apply.  Or does it.  In terms of Magic, it's hard to say where the line between legend and fact in this series is.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

As Liberty Vallance once said, when the legend becomes fact, print the legend.  Wait, that doesn't apply.  Or does it.  In terms of Magic, it's hard to say where the line between legend and fact in this series is.

Liberty was dead by then. The reporter Maxwell Scott drops that quote.

• Hook 'Em 3

Don’t think it was posted, but this is a 6-minute or so highlight reel of Magic’s first game.  You get to see Jerry West, Jerry Buss, hear Brent Musberger mention Jack McKinney’s offense, etc.  mention of sneaker deals, Spencer Haywood, etc.

That fucking ending

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don’t think it was posted, but this is a 6-minute or so highlight reel of Magic’s first game.  You get to see Jerry West, Jerry Buss, hear Brent Musberger mention Jack McKinney’s offense, etc.  mention of sneaker deals, Spencer Haywood, etc.

That fucking ending

Man, that caused some serious pangs of nostalgia.  I miss being young.  I miss the hell out of the 80's.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/19/2022 at 10:45 PM, shadow_operative said:

and i swear to god that you complain about anyone who critiques any show that you watch, as if every single show that you're into is some unattainably perfect masterpiece that should be above any criticism. the thoughts and critiques about this show have been measured and well thought out, and nobody has trashed the show or otherwise been unfair towards it. in fact there's some really good/interesting discussion going on right now, and you bitching that people aren't exclusively using this thread to slurp the show adds nothing to the conversation. i appreciate the posts here which have made slight, yet fair criticisms of the show. so do most people. now get on board with it and stop whining every time someone is critical of a tv show that you like. 

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Wtf-ever, dude.  It was a damn joke.  Others' critiques don't bother me and don't affect my enjoyment of the show.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/20/2022 at 5:50 PM, Deej said:

Kareem has always been a curmudgeon. Read the Showtime book. Even his teammates complained about him running hot and cold. 

This is true.  And even understanding that the people in the show are caricatures, I think Kareem comes across as ok.  Caustic at times, which is apparently true to life.  But he seems to have an ethos that you can respect.

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

This is true.  And even understanding that the people in the show are caricatures, I think Kareem comes across as ok.  Caustic at times, which is apparently true to life.  But he seems to have an ethos that you can respect.

Yeah and it was a hilarious moment in the show, but the "fuck off, kid" line really is the only thing just rings pretty false. I get that Kareem was a cerebral, thoughtful guy who came off aloof and perhaps a bit grouchy, but I'm pretty certain he would never tell a little kid to "fuck off."

The rest of it seems very consistent with what I've read and seen about him in that era and he definitely comes off very well, IMO.

But still, that line was hilarious. :D 

42 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Just started watching the Magic docu series on Apple TV. Works as a pretty nice companion piece. 

So:

• Magic series on Apple TV
  • Magic and Bird documentary on HBO
  • Kareem documentary on HBO
  • Dream Team series on Hulu

That's four series/films that cover some of the relevant people.

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So:

• Magic series on Apple TV
  • Magic and Bird documentary on HBO
  • Kareem documentary on HBO
  • Dream Team series on Hulu

That's four series/films that cover some of the relevant people.

which is the dream team series on hulu?  i saw one was on paramount+ last fall, but is another coming out?

also did anyone watch the paramount+ one?  i may try to hunt it down if it's any good, which i have to assume it is.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

which is the dream team series on hulu?  i saw one was on paramount+ last fall, but is another coming out?

also did anyone watch the paramount+ one?  i may try to hunt it down if it's any good, which i have to assume it is.

Whoops, that's it.

https://www.paramountplus.com/shows/dream-team/

It's pretty solid, lot of interviews with most of the team and those around them.

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Nice tits on the nurse. 

Honestly, and this is the armchair film critic in me, they should have just stopped that scene/ended that show with him putting his head in her lap and crying.  I didn't need another example of him being a horndog.

Also, it's hard to say how much is true, but I am 100% convinced that Adrien Brody's portrayal of Pat Riley is pretty accurate (not the shower scene).  Riley seems like the type that once he gets his foot in that door, he's not going to give up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yea the way they are portraying each character...I can't tell if it's 100%, 75%, 25% accurate because I didn't know how these people were back then, aside from stories about their characters in sports news. I'm definetly taking some with a grain of salt.

They make Bird seem like a douche bag...maybe he was...I dunno.  Or maybe it's just part of the fuck Boston theme.

I had no idea who Westhead was...but now Westhead is always going to be a mopey Jason Segal - kinda like in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.  

I saw were real Jerry West is getting lawyers involved bc he is pissed how they portray him lol.  I think it's awesome. maybe West should be more like Jason Clarke.

19 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Yea the way they are portraying each character...I can't tell if it's 100%, 75%, 25% accurate because I didn't know how these people were back then, aside from stories about their characters in sports news. I'm definetly taking some with a grain of salt.

They make Bird seem like a douche bag...maybe he was...I dunno.  Or maybe it's just part of the fuck Boston theme.

I had no idea who Westhead was...but now Westhead is always going to be a mopey Jason Segal - kinda like in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.  

I saw were real Jerry West is getting lawyers involved bc he is pissed how they portray him lol.  I think it's awesome. maybe West should be more like Jason Clarke.

West may be mad, but suing is a waste of time and resources. Everyone watching knows it’s a dramatization and not a documentary 

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Watching the Apple+ Magic doc. 

Hide contents

I never knew Magic basically got Westhead canned and was booed at home for it. Guessing that’s in S2. 

Spoiler

He really didn't.  Buss fucked that whole thing up, Magic caught all the public shrapnel undeservedly, and then Riley saved Buss' bacon.

27 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

West may be mad, but suing is a waste of time and resources. Everyone watching knows it’s a dramatization and not a documentary 

He's trying to prove he doesn't fly off the handle easily, like the show depicts. 

• Haha 4

first episode I really didnt like. 

I agree that the final nurse scene was forced for no real reason, we get it, hes a horndog.. 

no idea why they didnt just say Dallas instead of Dynasty, especially since the all star game was only 6 weeks before the iconic JR shooting episode aired.

... maybe too many people would have gotten confused thinking they were talking about the city rather than the show?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Yeah I have no idea of knowing but my gut tells me the "accuracy rating" of the portrayals are something like this:

• Almost a total caricature: Buss, West, Westhead
  • Still a bit of a caricature, but with some real stuff mixed in: Magic, Jack McKinney, Chick Hearn, Bird, Claire Rothman, Jeanie Buss
  • Mostly accurate, but with some whimsy mixed in: Kareem, Riley, Nixon, Cooper
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

first episode I really didnt like. 

I agree that the final nurse scene was forced for no real reason, we get it, hes a horndog.. 

no idea why they didnt just say Dallas instead of Dynasty, especially since the all star game was only 6 weeks before the iconic JR shooting episode aired.

... maybe too many people would have gotten confused thinking they were talking about the city rather than the show?

But then they  couldn't have had the "THIS is the dynasty" line, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1