Strategic Voting

Disco Strangler

Let’s game play this out.  In November, I’m voting down the ballot against the anti-democracy party in every race from governor to school board.  However, since that party has won all statewide race for two decades, I’m wondering if I should be voting int the (R) primary to choose the least bad option should my candidates be doomed to fail in November.  If my vote puts Paxton or Patrick or Hotwheels into a run off, isn’t that better than playing out the (D) primary?   Plus, I would get to vote in the run off.  What downsides am I missing?  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

Let’s game play this out.  In November, I’m voting down the ballot against the anti-democracy party in every race from governor to school board.  However, since that party has won all statewide race for two decades, I’m wondering if I should be voting int the (R) primary to choose the least bad option should my candidates be doomed to fail in November.  If my vote puts Paxton or Patrick or Hotwheels into a run off, isn’t that better than playing out the (D) primary?   Plus, I would get to vote in the run off.  What downsides am I missing?  

It's fun to sow mayhem. I voted for Roy Moore in the Republican Senate primary a few years back, it was basically an anti-Luther Strange vote because at the time I didn't know ol' Roy was a creeper. Knowing what I know now, I'd vote twice for Creeper Roy Moore to gooch up the Republican chances, and both votes would be anti-Evil Snow Monkey Mo Brooks.

Not recommended in states with closed systems and laws n shit.

I vote in the Republican primary in order to give a vote to least crazy candidates in the local elections. Because those offices are won with such few votes I feel my vote is actually making a difference in pulling the politics toward the center.

• Hook 'Em 3

In presidential years, I vote in the democratic primary.  

In years where the governor, lt. Gov, and attorney general are on the ballot, I vote in the Republican side and vote against the incumbents. I always try to help force a run off and hopefully assist in the ouster of hot wheels, indictment Paxton, or potty Patrick.

• Hook 'Em 1

The GOP primary will have well over a million voters. Yours isn't going to be the vote that sends Abbott or Paxton or whoever to a runoff. While I've voted in te GOP primary before, I sure as hell am not going to get more involved in GOP politics than voting in a primary, and that's where any actual impact you can make would be.

Best practice, in my opinion, is to vote in the primary of the party that generally controls your local/regional government, whether that aligns with your statewide/national preference or not. Lots of people skip local/judicial races in primaries and there a lot of areas where the R/D primary is effectively the general election.

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I think what the OP is asking, and I'm wondering too, because I have the same plan, is... will this get me on a billion conservative mailing lists?

In Texas, participation in primaries is public record. So, yes, it's possible you will start getting GOP election materials/canvassing visits.

17 hours ago, Disco Strangler said:

(your single vote does not matter)

Big Hero GIF

There is a four-way primary in MTG's district, a gerrymandered swath of kudzu-draped red dirt Georgia crackers resulting in a +27 R district. If I had the misfortune to live in that district, damn straight I'd be voting in the R primary. That primary is going to be a scorpion fight, so it will be fun to watch from that angle, and I really do think she goes down. And it won't be to someone crazier than her because she's already got the Trump endorsement locked up and I really don't think she'll lose it.

When she does lose, she and Trump will demand an end to open primaries. I don't think either the state or national GOP organization would be of much of a mind to change that there after it rid them of this screeching carbuncle so it would take a grassroots effort, I suppose.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ll be voting in dem primary until I leave Harris County. They have a race and sex purity tests for judges and have completely fucked up our judges. We lost many great democratic judges because their skin was the wrong color or because they had a penis.  

Pesky democracy.

I'm voting in the Republican Primary.  It affects my family's life more than the Democrat Primary...based on where I live.  After my wife and I vote on Valentine's Day...we will return home...discuss our votes...and pray to the Christ that Donald Trump dies that very same day.  And if he doesn't, we shall do what we do every day...which is hope to God that he dies and dies and dies.  The only thing he knows is death.  So let's pray for that.  Also, have a few buddies running for office so pulling for them locally, but mostly death.  

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm voting in the Republican Primary.  It affects my family's life more than the Democrat Primary...based on where I live.  After my wife and I vote on Valentine's Day...we will return home...discuss our votes...and pray to the Christ that Donald Trump dies that very same day.  And if he doesn't, we shall do what we do every day...which is hope to God that he dies and dies and dies.  The only thing he knows is death.  So let's pray for that.  Also, have a few buddies running for office so pulling for them locally, but mostly death.  

Happy Hallmark Day honey!

Believe me, there is no hotter sex than the sex you have while praying Trump dies while you’re cumming on her face.   The only chin taking more loads these days are Melania’s.  And not from Donald.  

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I think what the OP is asking, and I'm wondering too, because I have the same plan, is... will this get me on a billion conservative mailing lists?

I don’t know but somehow I’m on a Trump list. Fucker sends me at least 10 emails a day. 

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I don’t know but somehow I’m on a Trump list. Fucker sends me at least 10 emails a day. 

That appears to be even worse than being on a Beto list.  Jesus.  You throw a guy a few cents just cause he runs against a total asshole and you get spammed for life. 

Edited by Anastasis

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Holy shit. That list is intense.  

I've never understood "defending" the border. If something is that damned dangerous on the other side of the border, we should be attacking it, there, not waiting for it to show up, here.

I know that General George Patton's ghost agrees with me.

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

There's only one path to get to futilely vote twice against Dan Patrick

I Confess that I voted for Dan Patrick twice.  But never for Lt. Governor.  But for the “Who Wore it Better-Lane Bryant Edition.” Online contest. 

16 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Here are some of the things you get to vote on if you decide to vote in the Republican primary.

2022 Republican Primary Ballot Propositions

Conflicted much?

2020 question:

5.) Texas parents or legal guardians of public school children under the age of 18 should be the sole decision makers for all their children’s healthcare decisions including, but not limited to, psychological assessment and treatment, contraception, and sex education.

2022 question:

8.) Texas should ban chemical castration, puberty blockers, cross-sex hormones, and genital mutilation surgery on all minor children for sex transition purposes.