Dumbass Shit We See On Facebook

Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

No way that's real.

I mean - why would she have student loans in the first place?

I believe it. A former classmate I know had a similar story run on her and even got to go on GMA, etc after paying off comparable law school loans in 5 years. Course she lived at home and went directly into big law making six figures her first year, and probably closer to 3-400 by that fifth. Not saying it doesn’t take work to save/pay that high of a quantity but whole helluva lot easier when your annual salary equals or exceeds your goal. 

“Save $150,000 in 2 years! First step, find a job that pays over $200,000. See, it’s easy!!!”

Like wtf….

• Like 1

5 hours ago, achooloco said:

I believe it. A former classmate I know had a similar story run on her and even got to go on GMA, etc after paying off comparable law school loans in 5 years. Course she lived at home and went directly into big law making six figures her first year, and probably closer to 3-400 by that fifth. Not saying it doesn’t take work to save/pay that high of a quantity but whole helluva lot easier when your annual salary equals or exceeds your goal. 

“Save $150,000 in 2 years! First step, find a job that pays over $200,000. See, it’s easy!!!”

Like wtf….

Yeah but most of that story is about her parents/family spoonfeeding her. Not necessarily her salary vs. loan payments. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but most of that story is about her parents/family spoonfeeding her. Not necessarily her salary vs. loan payments. 

Fair enough. My post was more analyzing the plausibility of debt repayment overall and not whichever particular, absurd tone deaf method was employed.

Edited by achooloco
  • Hook 'Em 1

We have a furry little rug in our pet area.  It really ties to the room together.  It made my children and pets "chuffed" at the sight and feel of it.  

And yes, it's made from rabbit.  Free range, too for that extra, velvety texture.

2 hours ago, achooloco said:

Fair enough. My post was more analyzing the plausibility of debt repayment overall and not whichever particular, absurd tone deaf method was employed.

Right. Either way it's believable. I guess what I was calling bullshit on was the "if I can do it anyone can!". Like you'd have to be a really naive hoe to say that. Obviously I believe that people get financial breaks like that - I went to college with a lot of them. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Right. Either way it's believable. I guess what I was calling bullshit on was the "if I can do it anyone can!". Like you'd have to be a really naive hoe to say that. Obviously I believe that people get financial breaks like that - I went to college with a lot of them. 

Probably the wrong thread for a rant but I never understand how someone could have $100k plus in student loans other than maybe those going to law/med school. I took out loans each year, worked 25/hrs a week and got some tuition reimbursement plus my pay to cover rent and basics.  Graduated with about $30k in debt and paid it off in 10 years.

I just can’t believe so many people don’t understand that what they are signing up for when they take out these $25k+ loans each year and think nothing about how/when they will repay them. It seems criminal to let 18-24 year old rack up $100k+ in debt for a 4 year degree, but at the same time when I hear these stories about liberal arts majors with $100k in debt not able to pay for their loans I also can’t help but roll my eyes either.  The system is broken and needs an overhaul.  We shouldn’t be loaning out $100k+ loans for a humanities degree and the students shouldn’t be able to recklessly borrow so they can play school/party worry free and pretend to be “independent” for 4 years.

They should tie loans to your major.  A UT history major makes on average $45k/yr 5 years after graduation, while a UT electrical engineering major makes $90k/yr 5 years after graduating.  Run the math on the repayment and loan the history major $10k/yr (covers tuition/books/fees, but nothing else) and the engineering major $25k to cover all expenses.  You want Uncle Sam to cover your degree?…then pick one that will ensure you can afford to pay him back.  You have a passion for humanities?…then scholarships/grants or working part time can be arranged.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Probably the wrong thread for a rant but I never understand how someone could have $100k plus in student loans other than maybe those going to law/med school. I took out loans each year, worked 25/hrs a week and got some tuition reimbursement plus my pay to cover rent and basics.  Graduated with about $30k in debt and paid it off in 10 years.

I just can’t believe so many people don’t understand that what they are signing up for when they take out these $25k+ loans each year and think nothing about how/when they will repay them. It seems criminal to let 18-24 year old rack up $100k+ in debt for a 4 year degree, but at the same time when I hear these stories about liberal arts majors with $100k in debt not able to pay for their loans I also can’t help but roll my eyes either.  The system is broken and needs an overhaul.  We shouldn’t be loaning out $100k+ loans for a humanities degree and the students shouldn’t be able to recklessly borrow so they can play school/party worry free and pretend to be “independent” for 4 years.

They should tie loans to your major.  A UT history major makes on average $45k/yr 5 years after graduation, while a UT electrical engineering major makes $90k/yr 5 years after graduating.  Run the math on the repayment and loan the history major $10k/yr (covers tuition/books/fees, but nothing else) and the engineering major $25k to cover all expenses.  You want Uncle Sam to cover your degree?…then pick one that will ensure you can afford to pay him back.  You have a passion for humanities?…then scholarships/grants or working part time can be arranged.

This could ask be cleared up by allowing student loans to be discharged via bankruptcy.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:14 PM, Lobo said:

We have a furry little rug in our pet area.  It really ties to the room together.  It made my children and pets "chuffed" at the sight and feel of it.  

And yes, it's made from rabbit.  Free range, too for that extra, velvety texture.

Your wife's furry little rug always makes me chuffed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2