2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

41 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Heard Dusty on with Matt Thomas today. He did not sound super pumped about Brown coming up and didn’t mention Diaz

Sounded pissed about Meyers coming back and said “we still have to figure out if Chas is an every day guy” while mentioning that he couldn’t play Dubon everywhere. He loves him some Dubon. 

This is a FO and skipper that clearly don’t see eye to eye. 

McCormick has put up 1.7 WAR. That would rank 10th among CF if all his innings were there (not to mention, if he played full time, he’d probably be more like 8th with the additional games). He can obviously handle it defensively, all the advanced metrics said that last year and this season too. He was already a slightly above average bat last season, and he’s only gotten better, cutting his strikeout rate dramatically and increasing his walk rate to over 10%.

What more does it take to prove you’re an everyday player? 

Edited by formermav43
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

McCormick has put up 1.7 WAR. That would rank 10th among CF if all his innings were there (not to mention, if he played full time, he’d probably be more like 8th with the additional games). He can obviously handle it defensively, all the advanced metrics said that last year and this season too. He was already a slightly above average bat last season, and he’s only gotten better, cutting his strikeout rate dramatically and increasing his walk rate to over 10%.

What more does it take to prove you’re an everyday player? 

I have no idea what that would require in Dusty's mind.  My guess, "veteran presence."  I low key think he hates Chas. I have no idea why.    

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I have no idea what that would require in Dusty's mind.  My guess, "veteran presence."  I low key think he hates Chas. I have no idea why.    

I think it will require playoffs.  At this point, there should be no question who the best option in CF is on the team.  Just like Yuli at 1B, they gave Jake every opportunity and he couldn't make it.  Chas isn't a superstar, but he's also not a JAG.  He's a quality MLB centerfielder.  That's good enough on this team.  Would we like to have more production from that position?  Of course, but we can't play who we don't have and Chas is the clear best option.  And I'm fine with that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just put them all on the IL and be done with it. Piece together lineups for a couple weeks and deal with it. Let everybody come back in a couple weeks, get tuned up for October and kick ass. It’s not like Yordan has been hitting anyway. And Maldy is Maldy. He won’t be here forever. These pitchers gonna have to trust somebody else at some point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I low key think he hates Chas. I have no idea why. 

I don't think that is true, I think the organization has always been really high on Jake Meyers first and foremost, as evidenced by the Straw trade and all the chances they've given him. I don't agree Chas's playing time has as much to do with Dusty Baker as it does James Click. 

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I don't think that is true, I think the organization has always been really high on Jake Meyers first and foremost, as evidenced by the Straw trade and all the chances they've given him. I don't agree Chas's playing time has as much to do with Dusty Baker as it does James Click. 

Explain last year then with him buried on the bench with Straw doing not much. 
I could be wrong. But Dusty doesn’t trot him out there as an auto start even against LHP. 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Well like I told Brown when I saw him in the lobby, he needs to get in where he fits in.  Direct quote more or less. 

"....and there's going to be a spot for him. Ya know, we've been having our eye on him the whole time, but again, we're in a playoff race and we're not here for a tryout camp, we're trying to win games do the best we can for this year and trying to see where we can put him to maybe be on the playoff roster...."

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Explain last year then with him buried on the bench with Straw doing not much. 
I could be wrong. But Dusty doesn’t trot him out there as an auto start even against LHP. 

Because they value defense at the CF position and are likely to play guys like Straw and Meyers over Chas in center when they can use Chas in LF, RF, or at DH. 

This is not a Dusty Baker deal, this is all about the Astros organization loving them some Jake Meyers' defense. 

Why Click keeps beating the Jake Meyers is a top of the heap center fielder is beyond me. He’s going to be 27 next year I believe. He’s Lewis Brinson with a Beatles haircut. I predict he will never play another regular season game in Houston. They will definitely upgrade the outfield this winter and either he will be thrown in a trade as a guy who needs a change of scenery or he will go to spring training and not make the roster. But if we are trotting him out to centerfield next year Click should be barred from Minute Maid. One of two things is true for Jake, he is either not a very good player or he was not fully healed. In either event, he should never have spent so much time here clogging up the lineup and that’s on Click. Our best pitcher won’t even allow him to play behind him. That’s all you need to know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Korey Lee? Taylor Jones?

Yes they've said that for like a month but......

Neither one is better than options already on the team.  If they had a good OF prospect in AAA I would be all for it.  It's going to end up being as long as a IL stint I think.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Neither one is better than options already on the team.  If they had a good OF prospect in AAA I would be all for it.  It's going to end up being as long as a IL stint I think.

No doubt but they are at least options to use on the 40-man while playing mix-and-match with Chas, Dubon, etc.

4 hours ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I think it will require playoffs.  At this point, there should be no question who the best option in CF is on the team.  Just like Yuli at 1B, they gave Jake every opportunity and he couldn't make it.  Chas isn't a superstar, but he's also not a JAG.  He's a quality MLB centerfielder.  That's good enough on this team.  Would we like to have more production from that position?  Of course, but we can't play who we don't have and Chas is the clear best option.  And I'm fine with that.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but lol at the thought of Dusty Baker, of all people, solely judging people on postseason success.

• Like 1