2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

One of my friends watched it on ESPN yesterday and said it was fun.  We met a couple from Georgia at the game on Saturday and they watched Reddick play high school ball.  They were big fans of his.  Said he does all kinds of good stuff for youth baseball in their area.

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

That is exactly what will happen. 

Sure hope so. I'm not sure what they are doing with him if we are being honest.  He feels like he's earned his way onto the team.  I like Martinez, and credit to him for having a really solid year- but it felt like Brown could have been up the day after the trade deadline. I'd really rather it be Maton they sent down (was calling for him to be traded) but that's not going to happen for obvious reasons.  

Brown has me very very excited for what he can be.  I wish we could have had 2 or 2.5 months to get his feet wet- if he's good (and JV comes back) they need to make a Garcia centric trade package for a good CF with 2 or 3 years of club control back this way.  

Brown first- I'd also move Whitley up and send Montero to the 15 day DL. I have to hope that he's just tired.  Whitley is on the 40, the teams we are playing are ass, and it'd be nice to get Montero a couple weeks off.  Same with Neris- maybe he could accidentally get injured just as soon as Montero comes back.  

At any rate- the next couple weeks could be a nice getting their feet wet for those guys, along with Diaz and Leon (if his face is through being broken) with 2 guys up, plus the ability to send a guy like Meyers down.  

This team is injured, tired and bored.  A good way to fix that in the dog days is to inject some young blood.  This next stretch is perfect for that.  Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My ideal next 4 weeks in the bullpen

Closer- Abreu (until Presley comes back)

Leverage- Stanek, Martinez, Abreu (after Presley comes back)

Long Relief- Brown, Whitley, Garcia (I know it's Javier- but I'm dreaming)

Shot into the face of the Sun (I suppose you could DFA and option tot he minors respectively)- Smith, Maton

Dueling IR trips just to keep workload on the arm down and give the guys a bit of a rest- Neris & Montero.  

Figure out what you've got at the end of September so that you have 1 week to use the new roles going into the playoffs.  Then, we have like 5 or 6 days off before the post season starts, so that should be fine the last week of the season treating it like a dress rehearsal for the playoffs. 

28 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure hope so. I'm not sure what they are doing with him if we are being honest.  He feels like he's earned his way onto the team.  I like Martinez, and credit to him for having a really solid year- but it felt like Brown could have been up the day after the trade deadline. I'd really rather it be Maton they sent down (was calling for him to be traded) but that's not going to happen for obvious reasons.  

I think they know what they are doing wrt his role and it's all coming together according to plan. With the Astros' incredible starting rotation depth (even before LMJ's return), Brown had no chance to stake a spot in the order barring a trade that never happened. IMO they have always thought his best chance to contribute this year would be out of the bullpen but they weren't likely to shift him into that role in the June, July, or August while he could get him regular work in AAA to focus on the small developmental details that will help him against ML hitters. He's pitched a career-best 106 innings so far and every inning adds to that total so I think they are very close to bringing him up to the big leagues to test his talent out of the pen against better competition, but they didn't want to pull that trigger too early since they see his long-term future as a starter. I expect him to be a weapon for the Astros out of the bullpen in the postseason. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I think they know what they are doing wrt his role and it's all coming together according to plan. With the Astros' incredible starting rotation depth (even before LMJ's return), Brown had no chance to stake a spot in the order barring a trade that never happened. IMO they have always thought his best chance to contribute this year would be out of the bullpen but they weren't likely to shift him into that role in the June, July, or August while he could get him regular work in AAA to focus on the small developmental details that will help him against ML hitters. He's pitched a career-best 106 innings so far and every inning adds to that total so I think they are very close to bringing him up to the big leagues to test his talent out of the pen against better competition, but they didn't want to pull that trigger too early since they see his long-term future as a starter. I expect him to be a weapon for the Astros out of the bullpen in the postseason. 

Yeah.  That's fine. I'd rather he had 2 months on the big league level than 1 in trying to figure out if he was going to be a real part of their post season plans- but if a 40 day audition is good enough for them to make that call on him in the post season then that's cool.  

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah.  That's fine. I'd rather he had 2 months on the big league level than 1 in trying to figure out if he was going to be a real part of their post season plans- but if a 40 day audition is good enough for them to make that call on him in the post season then that's cool.  

My guess is 1) he wasn't really needed then at the big league level and 2) they really wanted him to work on doing some of the things we get frustrated about with the Matons and Staneks and Abreus, namely throwing early strikes, staying ahead in the count and being effective with your pitch count each inning, getting early outs, and not trying to strike every hitter out. If he'd been in the Astros clubhouse early/mid summer, I'm not sure it would have helped him or the team that much as he wouldn't have had the opportunity to work as much as he has in AAA. 

3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

That’s a day too late 

I think as long as there is someone on the 60 they can replace with anyone in the org. If that’s wrong (I don’t think it is) they could add Brown to the 40 on 8/31 and never add to the 26 and call him up when it goes to 28 and it would absolutely be ok.