2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, yes, but it’s not like baseball is the only area in which we ascribe meaning to randomness. I might argue that the human condition itself is ascribing meaning to randomness. As a species we are generally loath to acknowledge that randomness plays much of a role in our life outcomes, and our ascribed narratives or meaning (constructed to replace any possibility of randomness) coming into conflict with others’ leads to most of our social problems. So why do we care about the coin flip? Hell, isn’t the coin flip all we really have?

All that is to say that, as much as I love LMJ and his postseason performances to date, I don’t think he has any magic in him in October. I think he’s a really good pitcher, whatever month it happens to be.

It’s a really good post and something I have thought about as far as the existential condition behind humanity. It’s the biggest issue we struggle with as a species imo- is there an author of our story and a grand design or is it all merely a collection of random chance meaning little to nothing in the grand scheme of things. To embrace nihilism or fight against it? Dusty is a nihilist clearly as evidenced by his lineup construction. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

There might be a few weak teams that we haven’t dominated the way perhaps we think we should. But completely sucking against?  I’m not going to do the work but I’d love to see your list. 

"I don't believe you, but I'm not gonna verify either..."   Gotdammit surly!

swept by Tigers who finished 16 games out of 1st in the ALCen

mini-swept by Rockies who finished 32.5 games out in the NLWest

Swept by Rangers who finished dead last in the ALWest by 35 games

Lost 2of 3 in Series against Tigers again, before being swept by Baltimore, who finished last in the ALEast by 48 games

Lost 3 of 4 to Minnesota, who finished last in the ALCen by 20 games

Lost 3 of 4 to the Royals, who finished 1 game better than the Twins in the ALCen

Swept by the A's who weren't terribad, but it was still a "WGAF" series by our heroes.

Swept by A's

Lost series to Mariners X3, Angels, BlueJays X2, Boston X2,  Marlins,

Completely sucking for the purpose of this conversation might be " They underperform like a motherfucker vs their general trend."  Mariners and Jays are halfway understandable, but notice the absence of stronger teams in that "lost series to" section?

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Nothing is fucked dude. 
I love Lance. With Correa and Springer gone he’s my second favorite guy behind Altuve. Team 2015 Astros forever. 

1. Lighten up brah.  Hell yeah, LMJ has kicked ass as well as any of us could have realistically hoped.

2. It was a shot at Maton, not LMJ; but yeah, our heroes are likely fine.

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

1. Lighten up brah.  Hell yeah, LMJ has kicked ass as well as any of us could have realistically hoped.

2. It was a shot at Maton, not LMJ; but yeah, our heroes are likely fine.

I know. I am lightened up. It was a movie quote. Nothing more lighthearted than quoting a movie. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn