2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

#csb - listening to the game last night while driving - at 8 years service time, mlb'ers get a MLB Gold Card. That gets you and a guest two seats to any game for life, best available seats. sparky had just under 9 years service time, he's at 90% pension. you can start drawing on that at 45, but longer you wait the more it goes up. 

The plan pays fully vested members a minimum of nearly $68,000 a year for those who start drawing at 45, with a sliding scale that goes up to $220,000 for beneficiaries who wait until age 62. The payout is even more meaningful for coaches, managers and trainers, who are also eligible and have lower salaries.

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Just as an aside- the worst hitter in that lineup (other than Meyers) by wRC+ which is my favorite measure, is Peña at 102 and he seems to be coming out of his funk. 
If you remove meyers, move Chas to CF and play Diaz in left the average of that lineup is 129. That would be better than the highest team average ever. 

I'd also flip McCormick/Diaz on the handedness of the pitcher.

Diaz 7th against RHP and 9th against LHP

McCormick 7th against LHP and 9th against RHP

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

The acquisitions of Mancini and Vazquez have really improved the bench depth. Any 4 player combination of them along with Diaz, Yuli, Chas, Jake, Machete and Dubon is pretty good. 

Except you can only play 9 at a time and dusty will inevitably fuck it up… or at least will I’m the eyes of surly 

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Except you can only play 9 at a time and dusty will inevitably fuck it up… or at least will I’m the eyes of surly 

dusty could fill out a line up card with the 27 yankees and SOME people here would complain 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 2

I've been thinking a lot lately about Jim Crane's effect on the Astros success and wonder exactly how much credit he deserves that he doesn't really get considering all the departures on both the player side and the coaching side that, in the immediate moment, left many with the impression that the Astros would start to decline and see their window closing on potential World Series titles. 

When you start looking at the names who have been there the entire time, off the top of my head it's basically two guys: Jose Altuve and Jim Crane. 

Htown's Brady/Kraft.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

i still maintain that meyers is a better all around baseball player with a higher ceiling than chas, but chas is playing better right now and it's not particularly close.  factor in his advantage against lefties (he just ripped a single as i type this) and it's an absolute no-brainer.

dubon was a smart move and it made sense at the time, but he's redundant right now and he has no place on a postseason roster with the subsequent moves that we made and the overall talent on this roster.

the best way forward is to basically have mancini replace uncle mike (part time lf, part time dh, obviously he can also play 1b).  chas is your full time cf.  slot aledmys in here and there when you need him as your 2017 marwin piece.  late in the game, if you need to, put meyers in cf as a defensive replacement and slide chas to left.  ideally that's a game yordan is at dh.

lots of good pieces, but not too many tough choices honestly.  tons of depth for rest and/or injuries.

also dusty finally listened and has been batting our c 8th and a decent athlete 9th.  it took a while but we got there.

to sum up, if lance is truly back, 2019 bregman is born again, tucker is no longer sick, and pena wakes back up a bit, none of the above even matters, and it don't make a shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

#csb - listening to the game last night while driving - at 8 years service time, mlb'ers get a MLB Gold Card. That gets you and a guest two seats to any game for life, best available seats. sparky had just under 9 years service time, he's at 90% pension. you can start drawing on that at 45, but longer you wait the more it goes up. 

The plan pays fully vested members a minimum of nearly $68,000 a year for those who start drawing at 45, with a sliding scale that goes up to $220,000 for beneficiaries who wait until age 62. The payout is even more meaningful for coaches, managers and trainers, who are also eligible and have lower salaries.

yeah, that settles it.  i should've been a professional baseball player.

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

dubon was a smart move and it made sense at the time, but he's redundant right now and he has no place on a postseason roster with the subsequent moves that we made and the overall talent on this roster.

Not that I disagree but who would you replace Dubon with, both in the regular season and the playoffs? His positional versatility is definitely a plus and he can pinch run. Not that you need more than 13 pitchers in the playoff, but idk if that restriction also applies to the playoff roster. 

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Not that I disagree but who would you replace Dubon with, both in the regular season and the playoffs? His positional versatility is definitely a plus and he can pinch run. Not that you need more than 13 pitchers in the playoff, but idk if that restriction also applies to the playoff roster. 

id be curious if dubon could be the #3 emergency catcher ?

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

i probably phrased that wrong.  no place = no role.  maybe he's a pinch runner, but we have better pinch hitting options, better def replacement options, and better utility infield options.  it should be tough to make this playoff roster, and will be. 

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i probably phrased that wrong.  no place = no role.  maybe he's a pinch runner, but we have better pinch hitting options, better def replacement options, and better utility infield options.  it should be tough to make this playoff roster, and will be. 

I’m not being ornery here but I’m really wondering who these players are that can fill those roles. I’m not seeing them on the 40-man. I guess Leon would be candidate if his face heals in time. 

Edited by TonyTexas

11 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m not being ornery here but I’m really wondering who these players are that can fill those roles. I’m not seeing them on the 40-man. I guess Leon would be candidate if his face heals in time. 

aledmys is a better util infielder.

meyers is a better defensive replacement in center (or anywhere in the outfield).

depending on who's playing that day, almost anyone is a better pinch hitter (i would assume this is aledmys if mancini is in left and yordan is the dh).

i'm not sure what's confusing about this.  dubon is fine as the last guy on the playoff roster, he just doesn't have a clear role, like i said, other than maybe a pinch runner.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm not sure what's confusing about this.  dubon is fine as the last guy on the playoff roster,

What’s confusing is you kept saying he doesn’t belong on the playoff roster and I was merely asking about alternatives. No big deal, move on. 

38 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’d go with Diaz. 1 more bat and emergency catcher. If you had an injury to SS or CF you could  send Diaz out, lose him for the playoffs, and activate Dubon.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

I appreciate Bregman’s solidarity with Reagan during the pregnancy but don’t understand why the decision was made that he had to give up hitting.

in any event, I’m glad that kid is here 

Sparky and Ford were talking about Bregman’s resurgence and put forth the theory that he played most of last year with the wrist issue and developed a lot of habits to compensate for the injury.  After he finally had surgery, it took him a long time to work through those bad habits and get back to his natural swing. 

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

@henrygandorf movie idea - a professional athlete plays all games against his old team (you pick the sport). they only sign short term contracts or get traded before every game / series. he puts up incredible numbers. (needs a good ending)  

he falls in love with a chick who works in the marketing dept of his old team so he signs with them in the offseason.  love conquers all.

in the sequel, his career flounders and she dumps him for some hockey player.