What you cooking for Easter?

DallasSooner

Family traditionally comes in the Saturday of Easter for a big meal.  I usually smoke bbq, brisket, ribs etc.  Thinking about skipping the brisket this year though.  Too dang expensive and takes forever and just rolling ribs, sausage, jalapeno poppers, chicken, etc.   Not sure the pork butts and brisket are worth the time they take to cook sometimes. 

6 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

Family traditionally comes in the Saturday of Easter for a big meal.  I usually smoke bbq, brisket, ribs etc.  Thinking about skipping the brisket this year though.  Too dang expensive and takes forever and just rolling ribs, sausage, jalapeno poppers, chicken, etc.   Not sure the pork butts and brisket are worth the time they take to cook sometimes. 

Cut the butt in half and smoke em together. That way you can start the smoke in the morning and it'll be ready by dinner.

Just got a membership to Wildfork Foods. Picked up two lamb racks that I will turn into rib chops. They also have Picanha, which you can't get that cut around here. USDA Prime was only $12.98/lb. The lamb rib racks were only $15.98/lb. About what I pay at Costco, but it's going to be delivered tomorrow.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2022 at 12:51 PM, CHIEF said:

Just got a membership to Wildfork Foods. Picked up two lamb racks that I will turn into rib chops. They also have Picanha, which you can't get that cut around here. USDA Prime was only $12.98/lb. The lamb rib racks were only $15.98/lb. About what I pay at Costco, but it's going to be delivered tomorrow.

CHIEF

I got picanha from WFF as well and it was fine.  My Costco has two packs of picanha, but its likely labeled sirloin cap.  I've seen it at HEB as well, but they package it with the fat cap down, so it is not easy to spot.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Picked up an HEB spiral sliced ham, but I'm likely to cook something else more interesting like lamb.  Probably have sides of Caesar deviled eggs, roasted Brussel sprouts, mashed potatoes. 

Man those spiral sliced hams this time of year for like $1 are a steal. I love a smoke ham.  Just use some coca cole or dr pepper as a glaze on it.  Super easy and break it down and freeze leftovers. 

Kids eat chocolate eggs because the color of the chocolate and the color of the wood on the cross... Well, you tell me. It's got nothing to do with it, has it? People are going, "Remember kids, Jesus died for your sins." "Yeah, I know, it's great." "No, it's bad." "It's bad. lt's terrible. "Whatever you want. Just keep giving me these eggs."

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Kids eat chocolate eggs because the color of the chocolate and the color of the wood on the cross... Well, you tell me. It's got nothing to do with it, has it? People are going, "Remember kids, Jesus died for your sins." "Yeah, I know, it's great." "No, it's bad." "It's bad. lt's terrible. "Whatever you want. Just keep giving me these eggs."

Ours is kinda symbolic as well, kind of a "Communion/Last Supper" gesture. Jesus was the Lamb of God, slain for the sins of man. But lamb chops and good Merlot are definitely an upgrade over the communion crackers and Mogen David from church.

CHIEF

On 4/5/2022 at 12:49 PM, DallasSooner said:

Your sister/wife gonna bring your kids/nephews and nieces over?  Inbred fuck.

21 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

Man those spiral sliced hams this time of year for like $1 are a steal. I love a smoke ham.  Just use some coca cole or dr pepper as a glaze on it.  Super easy and break it down and freeze leftovers. 

Yeah.  I think I still have frozen ham from Christmas.