2018 Rockets Offseason Thread - LeBron or bust

Chapo

Couldn't he still sign another 1+1 (or whatever, really) with CLE and waive his trade clause to make a trade work? Opting out just gives him more leverage and he had to opt out by tonight or whatever.

Hell, I think everyone expected him to opt out. Even if he is staying in CLE for a supermax, he'd have to opt out.

Isn't CP3 going to do the same if he stays in Houston? Opt and sign...

37 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Couldn't he still sign another 1+1 (or whatever, really) with CLE and waive his trade clause to make a trade work? Opting out just gives him more leverage and he had to opt out by tonight or whatever.

Hell, I think everyone expected him to opt out. Even if he is staying in CLE for a supermax, he'd have to opt out.

Isn't CP3 going to do the same if he stays in Houston? Opt and sign...

Only way would be if he didn't max out b/c it would force a hard cap on Houston..... It's done.  He's not going to Houston.

26 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Fucking LA.  They're going to end up with a really good team because of nothing they did.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a season after kobe leaves all the sudden Lakers are popular again. But they've also done a good job managing their roster to even have the Cap space needed to sign two max players., plus If they pull of a trade for kawhi it'll be because of solid drafting.

22 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that a season after kobe leaves all the sudden Lakers are popular again. But they've also done a good job managing their roster to even have the Cap space needed to sign two max players., plus If they pull of a trade for kawhi it'll be because of solid drafting.

You mean nobody likes Kobe? LOL. It's just annoying that they're allowed so many more avenues for adding stars during a rebuild than most teams. We'll see how it shakes out, but they are going to be fun to hate if they add all these guys.

I said two pages ago and have always posted that LeBron isn’t coming to Houston. He never was. It’s probably LA, Boston or clev. 

Not sure where the SA stuff came from but that’s a further shot than Houston. 

Morey wont stand pat but he might bring all the core pieces back which I’m fine with and add someone for the mle. We have options to upgrade but probably more to the role player side than anything else.

chemistry and having the right guys for the right system is way more important than just signing big names just because. I mean of course if it’s lebron you do it but that’s it. 

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

If LBJ + PG goes to LA, the Rockets aren't gonna sniff the Western Conf Finals for a few years.  If I'm the owner, I don't think I would pay the tax in that situation.

Hmmm..... Idk.  Depends on those young guys and injuries.  Rockets still run the better system.  They'd presumably continue to have the better supporting cast with Capela, Gordon, PJ, etc.  They'd definitely need to add another piece or two so their exceptions become paramount but I'm not sure Lebron/PG/Randle and youngsters are enough this year unless Paul's hamstrings go again (a real risk).  Now in 2019-20?  Things will get weird so too hard to project but Lebron will be 35 years old.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

I don't know, they were a hamstring away from the title.  I'm sure Morey will do some witchcraft to improve the roster if they miss out on the big names.

pfft if you're going to throw injury out as an excuse you cant ignore the injuries the warriors had leading up to and during the playoffs. Kerr rested his players all but handing us home court, his choice and it worked out for them.

Fast forward a year, neither  team is injury stricken and the warriors have home court, we are screwed. Not a fan of complacency, especially when we did not win it all, just look at the Astros, they won the WS and went out got Cole.

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

If LBJ + PG goes to LA, the Rockets aren't gonna sniff the Western Conf Finals for a few years.  If I'm the owner, I don't think I would pay the tax in that situation.

They really need to move Anderson. Maxing Paul, Capela, and raises for Ariza, Green, and Mbah a Moute means last year's team costs a shitload more.

with free agency less than 4 hours away, here are my biggest questions for the rockets:

1. What does Chris Paul's new deal look like? do they give him the full 5 year max?  do they give him 5 years at less than the full max?  is there some sort of middle ground (3 years + a 4th year option or something along those lines)?

2. What kind of offer sheet does Clint Capela fetch on the open market and do the Rockets match it? if dallas signs deandre jordan, who is even in the market for a big time center?  could the rockets get out of this paying capela significantly less than the max?  

3. Can they move Ryan Anderson? i've said it before in this thread, but the number one priority in terms of getting a new player on the roster is moving anderson in return for someone who can give you at least 15ish minutes against the warriors.  now, this player is going to have a bad contract in order to get someone to take on anderson, but a player like nic batum or kent bazemore can at least play a little against the warriors and anderson is just dead weight.

4. Do they use the mini mid-level exception, and if so on who? the $5.3 million exception represents the rockets' best chance at just going out and signing a new player.  but it will be very costly as they are very likely going to be over the tax so it will cost the rockets much more than the $5.3 million in actual dollars spent on next year's ro ster.

5. Trevor Ariza, can he get a bigger deal than the Rockets are comfortable with on the open market? word is he's looking for about $10 million/season for 4 years.  that's a lot of years to invest in a 33 year old role player.  will the rockets be comfortable committing to that amount of years?  if not, will someone else?

6. The other free agents: LMBAM and Gerald Green, do they come back on small deals? i can't see green wanting to play anywhere else, but would luc leave for a better deal than the cash strapped rockets can offer?

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

with free agency less than 4 hours away, here are my biggest questions for the rockets:

2. What kind of offer sheet does Clint Capela fetch on the open market and do the Rockets match it? if dallas signs deandre jordan, who is even in the market for a big time center?  could the rockets get out of this paying capela significantly less than the max?  

3. Can they move Ryan Anderson? i've said it before in this thread, but the number one priority in terms of getting a new player on the roster is moving anderson in return for someone who can give you at least 15ish minutes against the warriors.  now, this player is going to have a bad contract in order to get someone to take on anderson, but a player like nic batum or kent bazemore can at least play a little against the warriors and anderson is just dead weight.

Mavs fan that has been lurking here lately to catch any Capela news. I want Capela way more than Jordan. I don't know what it would take to make Houston not to match. I joked with a Rockets fan I would offer Wes Mathews for Anderson (or bring in a third team asset) if it would convince Houston not to match a 25+mil offer.

38 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

would really like to see them flip anderson for bazemore or batum now.  gotta bring back luc as well unless a solid 3 and D wing is available with that $5.3 million mini mid-level.  ideally, they'd do all 3 of those things.  

Bazemore's contract is the same length as Anderson, so I just don't see why the Hawks would do it. Since Batum has an extra year and Charlotte loves big white guys, it seems like a Batum for Anderson trade would be perfect.

52 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

wow!

This hurts but it does seem like Gary Clark is a ready made 9th man on an NBA roster so I'm hoping Mbah a Moute can just step into a starting role and Clark could move into that spot on the bench if the Rockets aren't able to replace Ariza elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

So how does it work if Capela doesn’t like the Rockets offer? Does he have to sign or can he play on his old deal for a year and become UFA? Obviously both sides want to reach a deal, but there’s a lot more money floating around next offseason.