2018 Rockets Offseason Thread - LeBron or bust

Chapo

11 hours ago, Snacks said:

Gerald Green was on his couch in December, about to retire.
Trevor Ariza was starting at SF for the #1 team in the nba, and guarding the opposing team's best wing every night.

I like Gerald Green... he's not even close to Trevor Ariza in terms of nba value.

i sort of agree, Ariza is a big time player , NBA champ - but 6X the dollars? I'm saying Green is very underpaid, probably worth double and Ariza at his age is getting overpaid and he knows it so he bolted. 

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

That was sarcasm on my end. Morey made a terrible move signing Ryan Anderson and that's going to haunt until the contract is up. I fear he's done the same with CP3 because 4 years at max is too much. 

In today's NBA you either dish that out or end up with a scrub as your PG. Morey didn't have much choice since it was agreed upon before the trade last summer to get him.

Houston has nothing to give anyone else besides something cheap, so basically anything we do is through a trade. Unless Morey can convince someone to come for cheap? I see guys saying fuck it and just signing for the money now, why take a paycut with Houston knowing you can't win the title? might as well make double on a shitty team with no pressure.

I mean who could Morey even trade for at this point that would make anyone think they have a shot at the Warriors? There would have to be another gm who is fine with tanking that would want to see someone beat the warriors so helps Houston out by taking on the Anderson shitty contract and Houston would have to give up at least 2 first rounders as well.

I was told that management believes that Ariza is on the verge of falling off the cliff and started showing signs this past season. He's  33 with a lot of wear on the tires - being a one and done player and having played over 100 career playoff games, which is the equivalent of an extra season plus. 

So... I'm guessing Morey has a plan for December, because July is going to be a step backward, even if Clint and Luc re-sign... Ariza leaving is subtraction by subtraction.  May be better for the long term, but for 2018-2019, nah.

22 minutes ago, Snacks said:

MCW = $1.75MM

Tyreke = $8.5MM (MLE) at a minimum

You're over the cap.... your MLE is about 5.5 million.

I wouldn't worry about MCW.  You have to fill out the roster somehow and he's getting the minimum.  Just imagine his name is Phillip Michael Thomas and move on.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I wouldn't worry about MCW.  You have to fill out the roster somehow and he's getting the minimum.  Just imagine his name is Phillip Michael Thomas and move on.....

I read that it's actually less than that, because we had to use some of it to sign the 2nd round picks, so it's more like 4.5m available. Have you heard about that? I wasn't aware signing draft picks could effect it. 

I know... my point was Evans was going to sign somewhere for 8.5 or more.... ended up 50% more.

MCW can play 'switch everything' as well as Gerald Green... for under 2mm.

Evans gone
chandler gone in a trade
options are limited outside of resigning capella which we still haven’t done.
terrible offseason thus far and no options in a trade that any of us can even come up with that would shed the Anderson contract and upgrade the roster. 
Morey will package something in the winter. He can't get crazy now, because CC is up.

1 minute ago, Snacks said:
9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:
Evans gone
chandler gone in a trade
terrible offseason thus far and no options in a trade that any of us can even come up with that would shed the Anderson contract and upgrade the roster. 

Morey will package something in the winter. He can't get crazy now, because CC is up.

Speaking of which are we waiting for some other team to max CC out? What’s the wait here on locking him up?

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I read that it's actually less than that, because we had to use some of it to sign the 2nd round picks, so it's more like 4.5m available. Have you heard about that? I wasn't aware signing draft picks could effect it. 

You have to dip into your MLE if you want to sign 2nd round picks for more than 2 years. It's like 800K or something. Melton will probably get it, the SF from Purdue maybe not.

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Evans gone

chandler gone in a trade

76ers can still trade Chandler.

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Speaking of which are we waiting for some other team to max CC out? What’s the wait here on locking him up?

Contracts can't be officially signed until the 6th. There is no rush, as teams are running out of cap space left and right, most teams know the Rockets are going to match, and the market for a big with a limited offensive arsenal is apparently small.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Jimmy Butler wants out of Minnesota. We could take him and Dieng's horrible contact for Gordon and Anderson.

Gerald Green and Gorgui Dieng on the same team? Dieng is still smarting from Green dropping them 5th Ward b's on him.

Edited by UDontKnow

5 minutes ago, Snacks said:

btw, I don't expect MCW to make it to Jan 1, 2019. He's a package piece... 

I thought I posted (but can't find it) that Anderson + Filler for Carmelo makes sense for both teams...  MCW could be filler.  

How would taking on an extra year of a bad contract be good for them?  Don’t they want to avoid repeater tax?

On 7/3/2018 at 3:38 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

There is still plenty of time for moves to be made. I don't think the Rockets will be able to pull off a complete salary dump of Anderson but there are guys out there (Batum, Hardaway Jr, Fournier, Deing) with contracts a year longer than Anderson's whose teams might want to get rid of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

melo is most likely going to be bought out and then sign with either the rockets or lakers.  there is no melo trade.

I see that scenario being Melo trying to sign with the Lakers and then choosing us as a consolation. I'm not sure how it will be if Melo ends up on the Rockets. He can't be a worse stretch 4 than Ryno, but will he commit to being a 3&D kinda guy? Who knows?

How would taking on an extra year of a bad contract be good for them?  Don’t they want to avoid repeater tax?
Anderson contract is less... so, lessen the impact of the repeater for 2018 and get a player that can shoot when Russ throws him the ball.

Next year, they can dump other salaries... and trade Anderson as an expiring 21mm to someone... what other trade for Carmelo is there now (that he'd waive for)?

2 minutes ago, Snacks said:
4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:
melo is most likely going to be bought out and then sign with either the rockets or lakers.  there is no melo trade.

How would Rockets sign Carmelo? $5mm? Maybe.

Minimum unless you have some exception money left over after free agency.  

I’d have to work the math and it would depend on how the Thunder value Anderson but may be better to take your medicine now.  Both are over the tax so salary has to match so not sure there would be any cost savings....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

here's a random thought i had: rodney hood.  he had an awful stint in cleveland and he's a RFA so there is no guarantee you could get him, but i wonder if he'd be up for a 1 year "prove it" deal for the mini mid-level exception the rockets still have.  there are not a lot of great wing options out on the market right now, so taking a chance on hood could end up being a gamble worth taking (he's a 6'8 wing who is a career 37% 3 point shooter).  if not, all it costs is the $5.3 million in 2018-19 salary.  

37 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

here's a random thought i had: rodney hood.  he had an awful stint in cleveland and he's a RFA so there is no guarantee you could get him, but i wonder if he'd be up for a 1 year "prove it" deal for the mini mid-level exception the rockets still have.  there are not a lot of great wing options out on the market right now, so taking a chance on hood could end up being a gamble worth taking (he's a 6'8 wing who is a career 37% 3 point shooter).  if not, all it costs is the $5.3 million in 2018-19 salary.  

That's a real nice thought..... Also think GSW may be interested in him too.

52 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Would Cleveland not match that?  

Hood is not a very good defensive player, but I'd be willing to take a gamble on him. 26 year old athletic wings with a career .369 BTA are worth taking the gamble.

Cleveland is looking to dump salary, and I'm not sure they are big fans of Hood right now.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

So today we can officially sign capella right? 

I cant imagine why we wouldn’t bring Luc back after losing ariza to the suns. 

Odd off season so far and I know we aren’t done yet, just the lack of even rumors is what’s worrisome. Usually by now he rockets name is tagged to multiple guys and it’s been crickets.