2018 Rockets Offseason Thread - LeBron or bust

Chapo

6 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Well if we are getting Melo for the vet min, might as well try to snag Dwayne Wade too. Get all the old guys, and hope one of them has a little left in the tank. See if we can outscore Golden State's second unit to make it a series. 3/4 banana boat is still a pretty good banana boat. Harden can replace Lebron. 

The 1980 US Olympic team had the Cone head line, I guess the 2018 Rockets can have the banana boat rotation.

We could do worse. I was kind of hoping he would go to the Lakers for the entertainment value, but whatevs.  We'll find time for him here, maybe we can get some decent play out of him and +3pt shooting. Or he might tank our team's chances. Not like it matters, unless Boogie can successfully ruin the Warriors locker room. 

9 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I lol'ed at this tweet. 

Harden and CP3 were not going to work out, member? I member.

one is a "whos going to handle the bball", the other is melo just flat out sucks these days. but he'll be able to brick plenty of shots with houston

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Lmao at people trying to talk themselves into Melo and how he will help. Fucking hilarious. Dude has been making teams worse for years and Dantoni hated him in NY but yeah, this time it will be so much different. Adding an iso chucker who is not efficient in any sense is going help. Very accurate that their already nonexistent title chances would decrease even further.

Who here has said anything other than "Meh it can't be worse than having nothing"? Also you act like we had say in what the Rockets do? Like we can change any decision?

Go back to tweeting gay ass memes and fat nasty std ridden chicks you have to fuck because you can't bang anything hot.

Nuggets fan here - good addition for Houston. He provides depth to an already great team in a tough conference. Carmelo never fully lived up to his hype. At this stage he wants to play and contribute for a title contender. He got his wish. He can still shoot. He transitioned from a iso to a catch and shoot scorer last year, which was needed. 

As for personal relationships, Melo is certainly a guy who can hang out with Harden at the Paris Fashion Week. That’s right up Melo’s alley - again a good sign for the Rockets. 

The Rockets  lost 2 good defenders to FA. That will not be something Melo can replace. But I don’t see a big downside to this deal for the Rockets. And there is good potential upside if Melo improves his catch and shoot scoring over the Summer. 

So I'm not the biggest Melo fan, but you naysayers are pretty off on this thing.  Melo still has energy in his tank.  He's still a damn good player.  The Rockets spent 2 million dollars on the Melo experiment, if it doesn't work, they bench him or release him.  How is this bad for Houston whatsoever?  This is low risk high reward.  

I think it's funny how many Rockets haters there are out there now, and it's really not just Spurs and Mavs fans, though those teams and the Rockets fans make up the vast majority of this forum. I'd say this team is just a notch below GS for most hated team in the league right now. Remember last year when everyone was saying "Chris Paul and James Harden will never work!  There's only 1 ball!!  Harden is a ballhog!!!"  and so on... but then the Thunder trade for PG and Melo and people start putting the Thunder in the #2 spot of the power rankings, "this team is BUILT for the PLAYOFFS!!!" 

Pretty funny how it's flipped now, and Melo is a cancer, can't play, etc etc, and we only got him for vet min vs the Thunder shelling out 28m for him and immediately becoming a "contender" in the media and fans eyes. 

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I think it's funny how many Rockets haters there are out there now, and it's really not just Spurs and Mavs fans, though those teams and the Rockets fans make up the vast majority of this forum. I'd say this team is just a notch below GS for most hated team in the league right now. Remember last year when everyone was saying "Chris Paul and James Harden will never work!  There's only 1 ball!!  Harden is a ballhog!!!"  and so on... but then the Thunder trade for PG and Melo and people start putting the Thunder in the #2 spot of the power rankings, "this team is BUILT for the PLAYOFFS!!!" 

Pretty funny how it's flipped now, and Melo is a cancer, can't play, etc etc, and we only got him for vet min vs the Thunder shelling out 28m for him and immediately becoming a "contender" in the media and fans eyes. 

Not just the money, but the other assets needed to get him.

it doesn't make any sense either.  everyone hates the warriors and all the rockets did was become the only team to make the KD warriors even break a sweat, let alone actually be challenged  and people just want to shit talk them or try and belittle their accomplishments.

Edited by BigOrange1

Yup, it's a desperate attempt to spark a fire to beat Golden State. I'm on board, unless he becomes a net negative for the team, then cut him, or maybe trade him to Sacramento for fun.
I know how to play this game of basketball," Anthony told The Undefeated's Jemele Hill. "I've been playing it for a long time. When I feel like I'm ready to take that role, then I'll take that role. Only I know when it's best for me to take that role. I'm not going to do that in a situation where I still know my capabilities and what I can do.

What's best for you hasn't won you shit. Maybe it's time to try something different.
  • Like 1

Great deal for both sides, I'm glad Clint opted to lock in to big money now, rather than gamble his entire future on next season. Happy to have him back, and for up to 5 years!

Now if Morey can just find a way to trade Anderson for Ariza, this offseason will be a grand slam...

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

How much is the MLE and who could we sign with it? I see we would offer vet min to melo and Melton, so who would fit that MLE slot? Not even sure who is available we are looking at? Or would we just not use it? Not sure if it’s a use or lose it type of thing.

Melton would get a portion of the MLE if they sign him to a 3 year deal, just like Hartenstein got.

3 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Looks like we are still working on trading Anderson. I wouldn’t be surprised with trying to get Bazemore with some picks and cash thrown in.

Bazemore or Carroll. DeMarre is the slightly better player, while slightly older. Though DeMarre's salary isn't close enough and Brooklyn no longer has space. Atlanta has enough space for a 1 for 1 swap.

I have a hard time seeing the Nets trading Carroll's expiring contract for an extra year of Anderson. Maybe they could deal Crabbe though.

I would love to see the Rockets deal Anderson/picks/rights to overseas players to Portland for Harkless and Aminu but I don't think I'd really call that realistic.

Edited by goatsaag