2018 Rockets Offseason Thread - LeBron or bust

Chapo

Just in case this had not been mentioned:

Nicolas Batum could make a lot of sense in a trade to the Rockets

10 hours ago - If the the Rockets were able to add someone like Charlotte Hornets forward Nicolas Batum, it could make sense for both sides. Houston would ...

51 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Just in case this had not been mentioned:

I Like it, and to the author's point, I'm not sure we haven't at least broke even or improved with the additions of Green (full year) Ennis, MCW and Anthony vs Luc, Trevor and (1/2 yr Green) - especially when you consider the amount of time those two missed last year in the regular season and the playoffs

I out of my mind, but in my dreams a motivated Melo is the perfect third addition to this iso/wide-open Rockets attack.  That as much as it is ball dominant, it is also incorporating to all of the surrounding players.  I also think that Harden's biggest weakness at the end of games is his style and size.  He doesn't often get that foul call at the end of the game, and teams can send length to trap him and force a bad decision.  An offensive Melo could counter that narrative in a big way.

Paul and Harden bring out the best offensively in players, and if they can coax 85% out of Melo, look out.  Especially with a slew of young athletic length (in better numbers) to rotate constantly for defense. 

Lets beat these bitches

If the Rockets are gonna keep the remaining MLE to get a buyout later,  they are probably targeting these guys: DeMarre Carroll, Wesley Matthews, and Shumpert.

Not sure if I miss anybody, of course Ariza and Luc might be available too.

3 hours ago, Chapo said:

If the Rockets are gonna keep the remaining MLE to get a buyout later,  they are probably targeting these guys: DeMarre Carroll, Wesley Matthews, and Shumpert.

Not sure if I miss anybody, of course Ariza and Luc might be available too.

I doubt Luc will be. The Clippers are going to have a good squad IF they stay healthy. Ariza could be bought out, but I kinda would like the Rockets to get Batum now. Much better player and younger.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I doubt Luc will be. The Clippers are going to have a good squad IF they stay healthy. Ariza could be bought out, but I kinda would like the Rockets to get Batum now. Much better player and younger.

I like to get Batum now too but with the MLE, can still get the buyout guys later. We would be better off than last year.

8 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Vegas sets Rockets at 54.5 wins. Seems low to me.

yep should be a lot of money placed on the over.  I don't understand how people can run away with the narrative that this team took a huge step back.  They act as if this team was healthy during the season.  CP3 was hurt, James was hurt, Ariza, Moute, Gordon and Ryan Anderson all missed stretches last season and still had 65 wins.

The real measuring stick with players like Trevor and Luc walking away will be in the postseason.  As far as the regular season goes, I expect this team to grab that one seed again.

I'm actually happy about the Bazemore news.. he's way overrated defensively and has had a recent run of injuries.  His salary also is a tough sell.  If a trade to Miami for Johnson is accurate, that would be a steal.  Rockets about to lose a (couple?) first rd pick tho

So the Miami rumor traces it's genesis from the Lowe podcast and it was speculation by a guest.  There's not much, if any, sourcing of it.  And it was speculation on Tyler Johnson for Ryan Anderson and a 1st, not James Johnson, who they just re-signed last year.  Both Anderson and Johnson have 2 years left on their deals and similar money.  Miami press sort of laughed at it, but it could gain legs later in the season if Miami does poorly and wants to gain some draft picks....

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Tyler Johnson seems to me like a worse player than Ryan Anderson was last year.  Am I wrong? Is he a lockdown defender or something? 

He is a career .371 3P shooter, which is really nice. He'd be a nice 3rd PG to let Paul rest more during the regular season, or in case of tragedy again. James Johnson is on the same level as Ennis, have no idea how he's making $29M the next 2 years, and is a year older than Anderson.

10 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I'm actually happy about the Bazemore news.. he's way overrated defensively and has had a recent run of injuries.  His salary also is a tough sell.  If a trade to Miami for Johnson is accurate, that would be a steal.  Rockets about to lose a (couple?) first rd pick tho

Bazemore is a good defender who can switch across the perimeter, a good shooter who doesn't need the ball (though he averaged 3.5 assists this year and wouldn't be completely useless in that regard), makes basically the same money as Anderson so salary is irrelevant in a trade for Anderson, and the three seasons previous to the last one, he played 73+ games each season. Last year he played 65 games but missed the last 15 games with a bone bruise in his knee which, I'm just guessing here, wouldn't have caused him to miss 15 games if he was on a team trying to actually win games.

So yeah, I don't see how anyone who wants a positive outcome for the Rockets could be against Anderson/1st for Bazemore.

Been staying off the cable during the day.. can already hear the talking heads greet this news as a confirmation of Houston falling back to the pack in the west.. lucky to have home court advantage in the first rd, etc..

This is gonna work out, they will have a chance to get to 60 plus wins again, and see how it plays out in May vs the dubs.