2018 Rockets Offseason Thread - LeBron or bust

Chapo

8 hours ago, Snacks said:
8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:
4/80 here we come

if, all season you tell the world how important a guy is, be ready to make good on it.

If he sucks two years from now should he give the money back? Mediocre to bad teams across the league got into their messes by offering max contracts to guys who flashed for a year then went back to playing good but not great and certainly not all star caliber ball after getting their fat deal. Capela struck me that way all season with his agent leaking max contract talk before the end of the regular season and then publicly seeming offended by a $17m per/5 year deal. WTF? How about consistently putting up big numbers and being someone that can put the team on their shoulders and will them to a win, not just most valuable secondary player that plays D and puts in dunks before crying about the Rockets audacity to offer a measly $85 million?

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Would you take Clint Capella or....
Tristan Thompson
Hassane Whiteside
Steven Adams

Steven Adams, but not at his current salary.

As far as Anderson for Bazemore, I would like to see it. It would probably take 2-3 picks to make it happen.

If he sucks two years from now should he give the money back? Mediocre to bad teams across the league got into their messes by offering max contracts to guys who flashed for a year then went back to playing good but not great and certainly not all star caliber ball after getting their fat deal. Capela struck me that way all season with his agent leaking max contract talk before the end of the regular season and then publicly seeming offended by a $17m per/5 year deal. WTF? How about consistently putting up big numbers and being someone that can put the team on their shoulders and will them to a win, not just most valuable secondary player that plays D and puts in dunks before crying about the Rockets audacity to offer a measly $85 million?

Also be aware of guys in contract years.

16 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Steven Adams, but not at his current salary.

As far as Anderson for Bazemore, I would like to see it. It would probably take 2-3 picks to make it happen.

13 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

capela.

i know those guys got big deals in the past, but none of them besides adams would get anything close to 5/85 on the current market.  

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

On Houston? Capella

any other team in the NBA? Adams

You can't have say, "Hey, you are the 3rd most important piece of our team, and we're paying the #1 and #2 guys appropriately, but not only are YOU are worth less to us than all of these other centers that the market has determined are going to make X, we would like to pay you less than a #3, because we think the other centers (who may or may not be as important as you to their teams) are overpaid."

You'll never get good players with that...

Pay Clint or be ready for Jokey, if you think the position value is driven by the system.

$20MM per is the right number. Get it done.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He turned that offer down.

He turned down $17MM per year for 5 years.

"To me, it's just a matter of time," Houston coach Mike D'Antoni said. "I'll be very surprised if he doesn't become, if not the best center in the league, one of the best. I'll be shocked."

"We'll have him here as long as he'll have us," Morey said. "He couldn't price himself out."

Paid.

Ellington re-signed with Miami.  I know there had been some speculation the Rox would try and snag him.  Looks like he was out of your price range at over 6 million.

Chicago just pulled the QO on David Nwaba.  He's a low cost 3 and D SG.  Nothing special but at 25 his best ball is ahead of him although not the length of Ariza or LMAM.  Maybe for the minimum.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

20 minutes ago, Chapo said:

The third best iso player is now on the trade market:

https://stats.nba.com/players/isolation/?CF=GP*G*40:FGM*G*50&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular Season&PerMode=Totals&sort=Percentile&dir=1

I don't think it will happen but wouldn't be surprise if we lose Gordon. 

So Bazemore and Schroder for Gordon, Anderson, and a pick or 2?

Though with Butler turning down the Wolves, I wouldn't mind a Butler and Dieng for Gordon, Anderson, and a pick or 2 either. Dieng's is signed for 2 more years after this one, so he would give the Rockets a security blanket in case Capela left.

Edited by HtownHorn

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Some numbers on Ennis vs. Luc:

WS last two seasons: 3.1, 3.1 vs. 3.1, 2.8
WS/48 last two seasons: .101, .092 vs. .884, .086
PER last two seasons: 10.6, 11.5 vs. 10.2, 10.2
Career % on 3s: 35.9% vs. 33.4%

He's a very nice replacement for the minimum.

Yep. Not a sexy sign but important.  

So Bazemore and Schroder for Gordon, Anderson, and a pick or 2?

Though with Butler turning down the Wolves, I wouldn't mind a Butler and Dieng for Gordon, Anderson, and a pick or 2 either. Dieng's is signed for 2 more years after this one, so he would give the Rockets a security blanket in case Capela left.
I would take anything useful for Anderson but hard to see Hawks/ Wolves going for those trades.

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk

On 7/11/2018 at 11:28 PM, BigOrange1 said:

capela.

i know those guys got big deals in the past, but none of them besides adams would get anything close to 5/85 on the current market.  

If they play with Harden and CP3, wouldnt be surprising if they put up better # and get big $ offers.  If you have any of the Horns alum (Allen, Turner, Bamba) as a Rockets C, the Rockets would just win as many games as with Capela.

Capela showed an extra gear in the playoff but he is not even in the closing minutes lineup against GSW.  Should you pay more than $15 mil for that? I still dont think so.

Capela did his best work in the regular season and usually the first quarter of games (offensively). He would rarely be a factor offensively in the fourth quarter or playoffs, as teams would shut down the lobs after the first quarter abuse.  Then he was literally left with the put-back as his only scoring option.  

I’d pay the 20 a yr for 4 with a team option for 5  

2 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Capela did his best work in the regular season and usually the first quarter of games (offensively). He would rarely be a factor offensively in the fourth quarter or playoffs, as teams would shut down the lobs after the first quarter abuse.  Then he was literally left with the put-back as his only scoring option.  

I’d pay the 20 a yr for 4 with a team option for 5  

I'd cut a year off of it. 4/80, last year is a PO.

Coaches and GMs can resign any time they want, but they forfeit the rest of their contract. MDA did it in New York.

Unless there is a buyout clause, that doesn’t make any sense. Why would an owner sign such a one way deal? If they get fired then they get the remaining contract value.

Unless there is a buyout clause, that doesn’t make any sense. Why would an owner sign such a one way deal? If they get fired then they get the remaining contract value.
Yup, that's how it works. Tyrone Lue is making 7.5 million a year to coach a lottery team cause it's guaranteed.

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Rockets are interested in Jeffrey Taylor, who has been playing for Real Madrid. He's the kid that choose Vanderbilt over Texas. Of course, this may also be Morey's way of killing that roster, forcing Llull to finally come over.

Speaking of Euros, I guess the flirtation with James Nunnally fizzled out?

Interesting interview from Pat. I miss having him on the floor for this team, he was an underrated player. Hope he bounces back next year.

Patrick Beverley on leaving the Rockets, his Warriors hatred and learning from James Harden

Q: What does it mean to you to see 144 kids come out to your camp even though you don't play in Houston anymore?

A: Words can't even speak for it. I used to go to James Harden's camp. I used to see how he was hands-on with his camp. I (saw) how it was organized and how excited the kids were. It's the same thing here. I feel like a dad here. Being able to see these kids year after year and seeing how they compete and seeing how they've grown as players and as people, it's good to be a part of that.

Q: Why did you ask the Rockets for a trade even before the team made it a goal to bring in Chris Paul?

A: I've learned a ton under James (Harden). (I watched) how hard he works at his craft, how hard he competes (and) how hard he plays on both ends of the floor. I wanted to see if I could step out of my realm and get that type of responsibility. I wanted a bigger opportunity for myself. I was fortunate to be able to have that with the Clippers. (I was) super excited with how the season started. I played real well. It's just unfortunate (that the) injury (happened). I'm super excited, still, to have that same opportunity and still be able to compete.

Q: What did it mean for you to see Harden win MVP?

A: When he first go it, I FaceTimed the man. He was super excited. I honestly thought he should've got it the last two or three years, of course. Him being on a plateau like that, carrying the city, carrying the team like he's been doing for the past six years, it's been unbelievable. It's definitely earned. It wasn't given.

Q: What are your relationships like with your former Rockets teammates?

A: I was with Trevor Ariza for his birthday the last night before free agency. I talked to him throughout the playoffs. Clint (Capela) is a big-time friend of mine. You build long-time relationships. I talk to Ryan Anderson. I spoke at his wedding. I talk to Eric Gordon all the time. When you battle (together) on the hardwood, it's more than that outside of basketball. I hate Golden State. I wish the Rockets would've beat them. They fell short, but I was super happy with the success they had last year.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/rockets/article/Patrick-Beverley-on-leaving-the-Rockets-his-13085970.php

Well if we are getting Melo for the vet min, might as well try to snag Dwayne Wade too. Get all the old guys, and hope one of them has a little left in the tank. See if we can outscore Golden State's second unit to make it a series. 3/4 banana boat is still a pretty good banana boat. Harden can replace Lebron.