2018 Rockets Offseason Thread - LeBron or bust

Chapo

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

If the Rockets choose to run it back (which seems like no-brainer sans Lebron), can they add pieces or are they pretty locked in? Do the CP3 and Capella raises make it hard to add?

They would only have the taxpayer MLE to spend on contracts, but they have something like 40 people signed so there isn't a big need for but 1 player. Personally Tyreke Evans would be the perfect piece to add as well as bringing back everyone else. A playoff rotation of Paul, Harden, Ariza, Tucker, Capela, Evans, Gordon, Green, and Mbah a Moute would be near perfect.

3 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

So the rumor is Lebron is touring a well known private school in Houston today. Cue the gif. 

Friend of a friend works for the Kinkaid School and confirms this.  He also allegedly was at St. John’s.

1 minute ago, dbecks said:

Friend of a friend works for the Kinkaid School and confirms this.  He also allegedly was at St. John’s.

With the current scandal of their outgoing headmaster, you would think they would welcome some positive publicity.

The more schools that LBJ can check out for his kids, the better. I believe CP3 was rumored to be enrolling his children in Kinkaid soon (if not already).

Not sure why anyone would even even believe that given multiple trades would have to be made to even have space for lebron and a sign a trade with Cleveland too to make it work. If all that was happening first then I’d believe it. 

Its like we forget this is the first part of summer so all these fake stories by shitty insiders is just beginning.

It’s actually hilarious that they all thought kawhi was even coming back. Lulzzzz. Name another star that basically said fuck that and took the rest of the season off? No one. Not sure why they thought that. Maybe some fat ass beat writer in San Antonio talked to someone that talked to someone who assured them he was. Haha. These insiders no dick just like the $9.95ers in recruiting. 

3 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's kind of funny how much Spurs fans like to claim Harden quits on his team now that Kawhi has quit on their franchise. LMA nearly did the same last year. Something ain't right over there.

No one would ever quit on pop, the coyote and GSG!?!?!?!? Lulzzzz.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

It's kind of funny how much Spurs fans like to claim Harden quits on his team now that Kawhi has quit on their franchise. LMA nearly did the same last year. Something ain't right over there.

Pop being an insufferable piece of shit probably doesn't help.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s actually hilarious that they all thought kawhi was even coming back. Lulzzzz. Name another star that basically said fuck that and took the rest of the season off? No one. Not sure why they thought that. Maybe some fat ass beat writer in San Antonio talked to someone that talked to someone who assured them he was. Haha. These insiders no dick just like the $9.95ers in recruiting. 

Especially given that is was obvious as fuck that he wasn't coming back.

/"But Pop is gonna go talk to him and make it all better...."  lulz

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

I don't see Lebron joining a team with an established coach and system. Lebron wants to run the Lebron system, with coach Lebron in charge.

Yeah, Luke Walton isn't telling Lebron shit. He's probably the only guy in that organization secretly hoping for Lebron to go somewhere else. He'd likely be fired within 20 games.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 hours ago, Simon Honeybone said:

Someone told me this weekend while I was in Cleveland that she works with LeBron's cousin and the cousin said LeBron does want to play in Houston.

Lol there’s always a cousin. 

Theres way to many moving parts and rhyno shitty contract that no one would ever want. He isn’t coming to Houston.

Ayesha Curry's new Houston Restaurant is not getting good reviews

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rockets-fans-try-to-sabotage-ayesha-currys-new-houston-restaurant-on-yelp-before-it-even-opens/

Here are some samples:

This is absolutely the worst place to go - her husband ripped our hearts out and now she has the guts to open up a place here?? I would never set foot in this place even if it was the last place on earth. 
P.S. This restaurant is full of snakes

first and foremost, i would like to start off by saying... how dare you bring this mess to houston. we are good, we do not need this negativity..I can already taste the blandness of the food. This establishment might serve us dusty water and moldy lemons. Ayesha, just pack up your restaurant and be going. You are not welcome in H town. Please save us the trouble and just DONT like Bryson tiller said.... with that being said, The Warriors suck. GO ROCKETS

If I wanted to have a terrible time I would just turn on a Warriors game. And this has got to be the dumbest name for a restaurant maybe ever. I would rather eat at KFC for breakfast everyday than eat here one time or watch the Warriors play.

BBQ was extremely chewy and a choking hazard. Of the 4 pieces of beef I ate, I chocked on 3 and was only able to finish 1.

Terrible! 
I had the roasted curry ankles. The presentation was ok but the main problem was Ankle Butcher Paul had broken the ankles 3 separate times! The fried snake was chewy and tough. The taste was inconsistent and it seemed to be much smaller and pathetic to a when the fourth quarter, excuse me, serving of the snake came along. My wife ordered the seared donkey legs with cracked nut sauce, but clearly, this donkey had been doing some kicking and fighting! The meat was clearly posterized by the bearded donkey herder. The chef's (Curry, Thompson, and Green) clearly were not good enough to win any cooking competitions. Maybe if they added Chef Durant from Oklahoma City? 3 world class chefs clearly are not enough! Especially when there are chefs like that of Chef James of Cleveland and Chef Harden of Houston. The good news is, the chefs cut everything in very small bites! They have experience in choking! I found it appalling when my server Andre came over and blew on my 3-1 lead soup! Unbelievable! Who blows on 3-1 lead soup?

True Houstonians would go to Pappa's.

Does anyone ever notice how Riley Curry will only appear at post game press conferences after big wins but won't even show her face when the Warriors lose. I don't think that's fair to the rest of the team. When is Riley Curry going to face the music after a big loss?

Melton:

An elite defensive prospect who plays with intensity but is limited offensively.
SHADES OF: Marcus Smart, Shaun Livingston, Lester Hudson

PLUSES
  • Excellent defensive versatility, fundamentals, and effort; he moves well laterally and never takes plays off.
  • Keen off-ball defender who stays engaged, jumps passing lanes, causes deflections, flies in for weakside blocks.
  • Elite rebounder for his position with a nose for the ball, and he creates transition opportunities by grabbing and going.
  • Displays good passing vision in the pick-and-roll and in transition, though he’s not a primary ball handler due to his average handle.
  • Ambidextrous at-rim finisher who can finish against length off cuts and closeouts.
MINUSES
  • Not an elite NBA athlete; he needs to get a lot stronger to maximize his potential defensive versatility.
  • Struggles shooting due to inconsistent footwork. He brings the ball to his set point too early while elevating.
  • Elevates too far away from the rim when attempting layups, which can lead to a lot of his shots being altered.
  • A high dribble and a lack of intuition when changing speeds on drives limit his shot-creation ability.
  • Didn’t play his sophomore season; USC deemed him ineligible during the FBI’s ongoing probe into NCAA corruption.

• Like 1

A buddy of mine did a write-up about on Melton and had him as one of the most underrated prospects in the draft. As he notes in the post, he had Donovan Mitchell pegged as one of the most underrated last year (although he also had Chinanu Onuaku on his list). http://www.roundballreasons.com/five-underrated-nba-draft-prospects/

De’Anthony Melton (USC) – 20.0 years old, 6’3.25” 193 pounds, 6’8.5” wingspan
Optimistic Comp: cross between Nate McMillan and Jrue Holiday
Position: Perimeter Defender + Distributor
Consensus Rank: Late First Round / Early Second Round
My Rank: Late Lottery

Melton’s primary value initially will come on the defensive end. He’s a tenacious on-ball defender with lightning-quick hands, physicality and exceptional lateral movement that should make him among the best defenders of point guards and shooting guards alike. He led the Pac-12 in both steals and steal percentage as a freshman.

He also has tremendous instincts and timing as a help defender, resulting in not only steals but also a number of highlight-worthy blocks that you typically don’t see from a player of his size. Melton’s not a high-flyer on the level of the next underrated prospect on this list, though he gets off the ground quickly and goes after the ball aggressively. He averaged 1.5 blocks per 40 minutes at USC.

Though Melton currently lacks a point guard’s handle, his court vision is outstanding. He uses it to great effect in transition, particularly as he turns defense into offense after forcing a turnover (clip 1 below). His vision also gives him a significant amount of upside as a pick-and-roll ball handler if he can convince defenders to respect his jumper or his drives to the rim (clip 2).

Major questions are whether he can shoot (28.4% 3s, 70.6% FT at USC), whether he’s big enough to be a truly difference-making defender at the next level (6’8.5″ wingspan), and whether he can develop his handle enough to run point.

In response to the first question, I think Melton can become at least a decent jumpshooter. Plenty of prospects, including guards, shoot like that their freshman year and become capable 3-point threats in the pros—Mike Conley and Jrue Holiday to name a couple. It’s possible that Melton’s already much improved in that area following his extended absence this season. He calmly drained a few catch-and-shoot 3s in the combine scrimmages while flashing smooth pull-up and turnaround jumpers as well.

But even if that part of his game remains mediocre he should still be useful. I see him potentially as a cross between Nate McMillan and Holiday because I think those two players represent the poles of a continuum of favorable outcomes for Melton. If he’s effectively a fifth option as a scorer but his defense and distribution skills translate, that’s McMillan. If his shot becomes a weapon, then he could take on a high-usage role like Holiday and expend a bit less energy defensively. Anywhere on that continuum lies a good NBA player.

• Like 1