Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

On 7/1/2019 at 10:04 PM, Longboard Horn said:

Would love to see Army West Point in the AAC. They would drop the hammer and do well. Would most likely make the conference championship game. Jeff Monken has built a legit empire. That flex bone run game of theirs is dangerous and effective as hell.

West:  BYU, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane Navy, Air Force

East:  UCF, USF, Army, ECU, Memphis, Cincinnati, Temple

That's a substantial TV upgrade for the AAC.  Those games against Academy schools are good for TV and good for fan attendance.  It also fits "The American" branding.  You could preserve the Army-Navy tradition by setting the schedule up to keep it as an OOC game.  There might be very rare years where they play in back to back weeks but that might actually be pretty fun.  The first game would be for the conference championship.  The next week might be for a NY6 game or the Commander-in-Chief's trophy.  It's not like that situation would come up very often. 

The trick would be talking BYU into it.  But... that AAC set-up keeps them "national," it gives them a path to the NY6, it gives them more exposure in TX and FL for recruiting, there are some good home crowd draws they'd play annually, and they could still schedule some marquee OOC games, too.  I'd guess it's no worse than a wash financially.

Agreed that BYU would never join, but IF the AAC could loop in, say, BYU + Boise State + Colorado State, that would really be a pretty solid league, and significantly stronger than the other remaining G5 by a wide margin.

22 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

And, from the ASU side, President Michael Crow has no interest in leaving the company of Stanford and other Pac-12 academic elites.

This kind of shit always cracks me up.

Do university presidents really believe that being in an athletic conference with a elite academic schools actually makes them elite, too?  You're ARIZONA FUCKING STATE.  People go there because there is a shit-ton of world-class trim, they let in anyone with a pulse, and Tempe is awesome.  End of story. 

Being in the Pac 12 doesn't put them in same academic neighborhood with Stanford any more than being in the Big 12 puts Oklahoma State in the same academic neighborhood as Texas.

This post is like 15 years obsolete.

Agreed that BYU would never join, but IF the AAC could loop in, say, BYU + Boise State + Colorado State, that would really be a pretty solid league, and significantly stronger than the other remaining G5 by a wide margin.

They already are significantly stronger than any other G5 by a wide margin. Their power 6 shitick is lame sand they don't have thr depth to make it true, but they're a lot closer to the Pac or ACC than they are the MWC or CUSA, at least in football.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

They already are significantly stronger than any other G5 by a wide margin. Their power 6 shitick is lame sand they don't have thr depth to make it true, but they're a lot closer to the Pac or ACC than they are the MWC or CUSA, at least in football.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree with that point, but nonetheless, adding BYU and Boise would only make the case that much stronger, and command some higher (even if not completely P5 level) media deals.

On 7/3/2019 at 3:41 PM, camel at sea said:

West:  BYU, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane Navy, Air Force

East:  UCF, USF, Army, ECU, Memphis, Cincinnati, Temple

That's a substantial TV upgrade for the AAC.  Those games against Academy schools are good for TV and good for fan attendance.  It also fits "The American" branding.  You could preserve the Army-Navy tradition by setting the schedule up to keep it as an OOC game.  There might be very rare years where they play in back to back weeks but that might actually be pretty fun.  The first game would be for the conference championship.  The next week might be for a NY6 game or the Commander-in-Chief's trophy.  It's not like that situation would come up very often. 

The trick would be talking BYU into it.  But... that AAC set-up keeps them "national," it gives them a path to the NY6, it gives them more exposure in TX and FL for recruiting, there are some good home crowd draws they'd play annually, and they could still schedule some marquee OOC games, too.  I'd guess it's no worse than a wash financially.

Annapolis in the West and Memphis in the East?

Why?

51 minutes ago, slorch said:

Why?

Dude, it's radical realignment. They are clearly going to add Memphis, Egypt, to open up the North African and Middle Eastern markets all in one fell swoop. I defy even Larry Scott to come up with so ingenious a plan.

15 hours ago, slorch said:

Why?

Navy made a big deal about being in the West division when the AAC was formed.  I guess they recruit the state of Texas pretty  heavily.  I assumed their feelings on that haven't changed.  Obviously if they are up for being in the East then they make the most sense to move to the East.

But if not, and if the AAC added some western teams (BYU, Air Force) the American could flip someone else to the East division instead of Memphis.  Tulane would probably work, too.

The academies recruit nationally anyhoo.   It doesn't matter where they play their road games, although come to think of it, Army has played at Rice, A&M, UNT, and 2-3 bowl games in Texas in the past few years as an Independent.

Not sure why Navy insisted upon being in the AAC west.  i'll take it at face value though.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:45 PM, Hurtlocker said:

Especially since they just spent the better part of a half decade getting jobbed in the pay out department by the likes of K-State

Yes.  And those Big 10 people love to say how they are so egalitarian and Texas is greedy.  Yet NU is $50 million behind where they would have been if they stayed in the Big 12.  Maryland made $26 million last year while the 12 "full" members made $54 million.  And Rutgers only made $11 million.

Nobody anywhere is paying entrance fees like that.  The Big 10 is doing it simply because they can.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2019 at 8:13 PM, utee94 said:

Yes, CU was looking to the PAC way back in the B8 days, long before the B12 was formed.  And it's not CU's fault that all of the complete idiot loser Husker and ag fans lump them into the discussion when blaming Texas for everything.  I haven't ever really seen a Colorado fan mention problems with Texas as their reason for leaving.  And no offense intended to Colorado fans, but I honestly don't notice them being gone.  Same goes for Mizzou, they never did much in the conference, and I haven't really noticed them being gone.

I always liked having Nebraska in the B12 though, and it's too bad things worked out the way they did, but they were just doing what they felt was right for their own finances when they decided to abandon the B12.  What's annoying is that Nebraska was given a free pass to make their money grab in the B1G, but Texas was lambasted for STAYING IN THE B12 and working to get more money for everyone else, and not just themselves.  Go figure.

And aggy threw a fit because they wanted their $20 million guarantee that the 5 left behind offered..  Tech tried to get it.  Texas and OU said, "no, wouldn't be fair."

Yet Texas again is the greedy one.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 12:36 AM, ButtFumble said:

one can go here and look at budgets and schools funds used by clicking on the individual schools

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

in 2005 CU used $1.64 million in school funds for athletics

in 2010 $5.75

in 2011 $13.9

in 2012 $14.3

then in 2013 down to $5.58 since 2014 it has been in the $10.5 to $11 million dollar range

so they had to use a bunch because of missing out on Big 12 revenues they forfeited and from there they tried to throttle back before realizing that to be in the PAC 12 you have to spend a lot of school funds just like most all of the other PAC 12 schools do

student fees have stayed the same at about $1.5 million though

and the pearlman article makes clear that NU was happy in the Big 12, voted 100% with UT on unequal revenues, no conference network (or NU wanted uneven revenues from a conference network), moving the CCG to dallas (pearlman has a delicate ass that does not like cold bleachers), NU was ahead of Texas on developing a network, Texas committed to stay in the Big 12 is NU would do the same and NU declined then pearlman tried to corner Powers at the bar and give a bunch of "what ifs" and Powers told him no discussion Texas had made the commitment and NU had not,  and the only issue that NU ever really had as the partial qualifiers and they were out voted on that 11-1

also there is an MU article where the chancellor of MU (that was the head of the Big 12 expansion committee at the time) made it clear that MU was wanting to stay in the Big 12 and work to expand it, but when boren went on the wallflower tour and the MU Chancellor could not reach boren and had to get their US Congressmen involved to get boren on the phone he knew that MU was leaving the Big 12 at the first decent offer.....now who knows if he would have followed through on that if there was no wallflower tour and the SEC SEC SEC came calling, but he was clear that Texas had nothing to do with the final push out the door

there is also the aggy interview still out there where they state they are in the Big 12 for the long haul and for the long term future......only to up and leave a year later

CU is the only school where both the FANS and administration never blamed Texas although people always try and drag them in.....in the case of MU their administration never really blamed Texas during the move, but their fans did and their administration since then have used that is a convenient excuse to get past the "how come we did not get in the Big 10 like we always wanted and instead we are the western most team in a conference where we play in the east division even though we touch Arkansas"

I have always said that MU did not get in the Big 10 because the Big 10 realized that it was MU that let the word get out about expansion and that is how NU found out and went public and that fucked things up for the Big 10 that was working on some combo of ND, UVA, GT, UNC, Duke or the like

and because all of those ACC schools were so scared to make a move it was taking a LONG TIME to get action and things in place and ND was using the ACC as a beachhead against the Big 10 and when things broke the ACC schools just could not make a move that fast it was just not in the nature of their admins and instead ND threw them a lifeline and snubbed the Big 10 that had been trying to corner ND by telling then join the Big 10 or you may find yourself with a depleted ACC or depleted Big East or both to run off to

once MU fucked it up for the Big 10 the Big 10 was done with them forever

Bowtie admitted that he decided to take aggy out in 2010.  He was just looking for the right time.  LHN gave him an excuse.  I remember how aggy he was in that interview with the aggy student paper.  The quote was <rough quote>,  "When the 10 remaining teams committed to the Big 12 in June 2010,  I said we were committed to the Big 12 as it was, meaning the 12 team Big 12 as  Nebraska and Colorado hadn't officially left yet.  I didn't want anyone to say I lied when we left later."

30 minutes ago, bullet said:

Yes.  And those Big 10 people love to say how they are so egalitarian and Texas is greedy.  Yet NU is $50 million behind where they would have been if they stayed in the Big 12.  Maryland made $26 million last year while the 12 "full" members made $54 million.  And Rutgers only made $11 million.

Nobody anywhere is paying entrance fees like that.  The Big 10 is doing it simply because they can.

I think it is actually worse for NU I did the math once based on this article

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/nebraska-on-track-for-big-payday-in-maryland-s-larger/article_48adc24b-44f6-5bd8-ae62-3affc90e4c86.html#facebook-comments

when you add in the exit fee from the Big 12 and compare the Big 12 earnings from what NU was getting for those listed years I believe it was $60+ million they were behind and that was not including any 3rd tier money and we all know that NU was ahead of Texas on developing their own network.....that does not mean they would have been paid close to Texas, but if you put in a modest $5 million (more than most Big 12, but less than OU) they would be about $90 million behind

the new deal for the Big 10 helps then catch up pretty quick, but there is the factor of not having that $90+ million for 8+ years and some of those years when the economy was slow and extra money to spend on facilities would have gone a lot further than those dollars will today

and I think Maryland made a bit more than that this year, but down the road they are going to pay for that.....and from that article it is laughable to hear perlman talk about the "different situations" for Maryland vs Nebraska and the "earnings potential" of Maryland that Nebraska gets to share in

I was under the impression it will all equal out in the end for NU, RU and MD, but reading that article it sounds like perlman is admitting that Maryland especially might have gotten a better overall deal than Nebraska even when all the "loans" are paid back and everything is accounted for

not having faith in your own program and faith in your own ability to make sure your program always gets the best deal possible and comes out as a leader sure comes with a cost for some programs.....but of course they can always blame it on Texas and say that the cost of running away from Texas is worth it no matter the actual dollars, the deal you got vs a shitty program like Maryland or how shitty you are on the field

• Like 2

From an Iowa State fans perspective... this would be a great scenario if the Big12 dissolves. 

ISU, KU to the B1G.
KSU, TCU to SEC
WVU to the ACC
OU, oSu, UT, TT to the PAC16
Baylor to the AAC

Or.. Big12 survives and expands with some combination of UA, ASU, BYU, CU, CSU or UU. I just can't see this conference adding a city or directional school. 

1 minute ago, Ace000087 said:

From an Iowa State fans perspective... this would be a great scenario if the Big12 dissolves. 

ISU, KU to the B1G.
KSU, TCU to SEC
WVU to the ACC
Baylor to the AAC

Or.. Big12 survives and expands with some combination of UA, ASU, BYU, CU, CSU or UU. I just can't see this conference adding a city or directional school. 

I would take Memphis as a "city school" if they agreed to build a new stadium. During realignment I liked the idea of Memphis and Louisville to to with WVU. But ACC jumped on Louiville and we were again standing there with our dicks in our hand.

3 hours ago, Ace000087 said:

ISU, KU to the B1G.
KSU, TCU to SEC
WVU to the ACC
Baylor to the AAC

That person is literally too stupid to insult.

5 hours ago, Ace000087 said:

ISU, KU to the B1G.
KSU, TCU to SEC
WVU to the ACC
Baylor to the AAC

That is entirely too much purple for the SEC.

2 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Bob Bowlsby - "No, Big 12 is not expanding."

Is realignment talk going away now.

Probably not.  😪

Depends on how the question was asked and answered.  What if it went like this?

Q: "Is the Big 12 going to stand pat at 10 teams?"

Bowlsby: "No, Big 12 is NOT!  Expanding."

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 11:28 AM, Ace000087 said:

ISU, KU to the B1G.
KSU, TCU to SEC
WVU to the ACC
Baylor to the AAC

If UT and OU leave the Big 12 for the B1G or SEC, I think TCU and Tech would have a chance at convincing the Pac-12 that they could get into the Texas market by adding us.  Barring that, I don't see another option for TCU or Tech or Baylor besides maintaining a lesser form of the Big 12 by adding some MWC and AAC schools like UH and CSU.  However, I think it's more likely that UT and OU stay where they are and maybe try to pick off a couple of schools from other P5 conferences when the media contracts come back up. 

37 minutes ago, angelos's frog said:

I think TCU and Tech would have a chance at convincing the Pac-12 that they could get into the Texas market by adding us. 

You think wrong, for two reasons.

1) TCU and Tech don't bring the Texas market. 

2) The next phase of what TV rights looks like isn't well-understood, but no one in a decision-making capacity at the Pac-12 is going to re-fight the last war by using the Delany Doctrine to add schools in order to "expand our footprint!" 

2b would be, even if that model were operable, "expanding our footprint" by adding two niche brands in the state of Texas isn't the same as adding the flagship universities of New Jersey and Maryland anyway.

There is one plausible scenario where the Pac-12 pursues the Texas market: when the University of Texas is available. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah, its not location any more, its content.  

And branding adds to the perception (reality) of the value of the content. Quantity without quality doesn't move the ad revenue needle very effectively. Convincing a restaurant to buy Sand Cola from your distributorship after you drop your Coca Cola offerings isn't going to be easy or particularly profitable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ace000087 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bi...d-join-big-ten

I always thought that this was interesting. Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M — tried to join the Big Ten as a packaged deal.

Nebraska is now in the B1G.
Texas A&M went to the SEC.

Would two of Iowa State, Kansas or Oklahoma still be considered?

Kopp0e did you get a new account? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, angelos's frog said:

If UT and OU leave the Big 12 for the B1G or SEC, I think TCU and Tech would have a chance at convincing the Pac-12 that they could get into the Texas market by adding us.  Barring that, I don't see another option for TCU or Tech or Baylor besides maintaining a lesser form of the Big 12 by adding some MWC and AAC schools like UH and CSU.  However, I think it's more likely that UT and OU stay where they are and maybe try to pick off a couple of schools from other P5 conferences when the media contracts come back up. 

I think Tech might have a better chance of landing somewhere (no insult meant, Frog) just because of the size of their alumni base, and because they might be a bit more likely to get "help" from UT. I think there's an ever-so-slim chance that the SEC maaaaaaaybe takes Tech or TCU to further their Texas presence IF they miss out on both OU and UT. But it's a stretch. I agree with you that the more likely scenario is that TCU, Baylor, and whoever else is left from the Big XII (OSU? Tech? ISU? KSU? WVU?) build a conference somewhere higher than the G5 and lower than the other P5 by adding teams like Houston, Cincy, Boise, USF, UCF, maybe Memphis, CSU, or BYU. 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Kopp0e did you get a new account? 

Why would I need a "new account", to post of 5 schools talking to B1G nearly a decade ago..?
I assume you just miss me/ that's cool, but you know I still see Oklahoma & Texas (with help of ESPN), possibly raiding PAC...

If USC/ UCLA keep a core of current foes; a PX6 west could look like:

Washington
Oregon
California
Stanford
Arizona
Arizona State

If Oklahoma/ Texas, keep a core of current foes; a PX6 east could look like:

Iowa State
Kansas
Colorado*
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU

D8nRIiWW4AERxgL.jpg:large

The merged league would have a 9 state footprint covering about 100+ million potential conference network viewers combined...
The conference would hold (as configured above), a roster of 11 schools within the AAU ranks/ many at the top end of the scale...
The league would be valued in having recruiting "hotbeds" in states of: The Golden State & The Lone Star State, pretty impressive...

But one of the most important elements, would be in keeping the #RedRiverRivalry as a league game (as opposed to schools in separate leagues)...

11 hours ago, Ace000087 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bi...d-join-big-ten

I always thought that this was interesting. Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M — tried to join the Big Ten as a packaged deal.

Nebraska is now in the B1G.
Texas A&M went to the SEC.

Would two of Iowa State, Kansas or Oklahoma still be considered?

ah, I call bullshit on that article