Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

12 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

I blame Osborne. Guy acted like a gaping pussy in regards to anything Texas. 

Osborne is a flaming pile of human filth, but he has no say in this mess without a willing Delaney.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Osborne is a flaming pile of human filth, but he has no say in this mess without a willing Delaney.

Exactly.  The B1G, and Delaney specifically, were the cause of everything that followed.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Point being, if Nebraska, Osborne and their ilk grew a pair and didn't blame Texas for their shortcomings they would've told he Bug to get fucked. Yet they wanted to act like a bleeding little pussy  and here we are. 

Just now, RoyalBevo21 said:

Point being, if Nebraska, Osborne and their ilk grew a pair and didn't blame Texas for their shortcomings they would've told he Bug to get fucked. Yet they wanted to act like a bleeding little pussy  and here we are. 

Agree completely.

If Nebraska had committed to the Big 12, we would be making the same money (if not more) than the Big 10.

At that time, it did seem like you guys were going to bolt with OU to the Pac 10 regardless, but I'm guessing if Nebraska says "we're all in" on the Big 12, that cools Texas/OU Pac talk more quickly.  It's hard to recreate the timeline, but it seemed like everyone was going crazy over nothing and schools like us, KSU, KU, etc were just praying for dear life.  I was pretty much convinced we'd get cast off to god knows where while schools like Oregon State and Wake Forest stayed fat and happy.

21 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Hell, I'd take NE and CO back, right now. MO and ATM not so much. TCU def upgrade over those two, and WVU off in the distance meh.

I agree. Nebraska is still a relatively bluechip program. Or, at least, they haven't been down long enough that I no longer think of them as top tier. Colorado was at least feisty all the way up to national championship contender level the entire time I followed CFB until about the past 10-12 years, so I wouldn't mind having them around either. 

Regional "rivalries" (used loosely in this context) are an important part of CFB so I like playing TCU more than I would most of the alternatives-- much more than Louisville, or Cincinnati, or that Secret Commuter School Missouri. FUCK Missouri, fuck ever playing them again in anything for any reason. 

A&M should require no explanation. In sports, I've pretty much lived to see everything I've hoped for, with one exception: A&M still hasn't gotten a catastrophic NCAA penalty a la 1987 SMU. I am still hoping that happens. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Hell, I'd take NE and CO back, right now. MO and ATM not so much. TCU def upgrade over those two, and WVU off in the distance meh.

Nebraska and Arky, in my mind, are the two best natural fits for the Big XII. Obviously it’ll never happen. CU belongs in the PAC - they’re a western hippie school and all the alumni are out in PAC territory. I’m biased there though (CU alum/ fan, like them in PAC). 

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind Colorado State in the Big 12, if they could manage to give a shit.  Their base is definitely more in the Great Plains portion of Colorado, and Ft. Collins vibe isn't remotely west coast hippy.   The problem with CSU is just that no one cares.  Shit, no one really cares about CU there and they have much more history.

Nebraska makes way more sense in the Big 12 than anywhere else, and Arkansas could actually improve themselves getting out of the SEC West.  Mizzou in the SEC is dumb as hell, but I never had super strong feelings about them either way.  They do have a great rivalry with KU though, and I could get behind that coming back to the Big 12.

It's kind of a crazy idea, but Iowa and Nebraska would be interesting.  It will never happen, but prior to the addition of Nebraska, Iowa was the only Big 10 school west of the Mississippi.  The state of Iowa leans more Great Plains than Rust Belt as a whole, and they're a quality academic institution.  But no charter Big 10 member is ever going to leave, ever.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Agree completely.

If Nebraska had committed to the Big 12, we would be making the same money (if not more) than the Big 10.

At that time, it did seem like you guys were going to bolt with OU to the Pac 10 regardless, but I'm guessing if Nebraska says "we're all in" on the Big 12, that cools Texas/OU Pac talk more quickly.  It's hard to recreate the timeline, but it seemed like everyone was going crazy over nothing and schools like us, KSU, KU, etc were just praying for dear life.  I was pretty much convinced we'd get cast off to god knows where while schools like Oregon State and Wake Forest stayed fat and happy.

I thought the 'PAC-16' idea predated the BUG's public search for a 12th member.  But Regardless I don't see how one depended on the other.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I wouldn't mind Colorado State in the Big 12, if they could manage to give a shit.  Their base is definitely more in the Great Plains portion of Colorado, and Ft. Collins vibe isn't remotely west coast hippy.   The problem with CSU is just that no one cares.  Shit, no one really cares about CU there and they have much more history.

Nebraska makes way more sense in the Big 12 than anywhere else, and Arkansas could actually improve themselves getting out of the SEC West.  Mizzou in the SEC is dumb as hell, but I never had super strong feelings about them either way.  They do have a great rivalry with KU though, and I could get behind that coming back to the Big 12.

It's kind of a crazy idea, but Iowa and Nebraska would be interesting.  It will never happen, but prior to the addition of Nebraska, Iowa was the only Big 10 school west of the Mississippi.  The state of Iowa leans more Great Plains than Rust Belt as a whole, and they're a quality academic institution.  But no charter Big 10 member is ever going to leave, ever.

So much truth in that bolded line. Both would be better off in the Big XII. The money may be a bit less at first, but you have to think that the increased donations and spending they'd get from being more competitive and playing against more natural rivals would rapidly make up for any difference in media contract.

CSU, I don't know. CU has a pretty solid following but it falls off rapidly when the Buffs suck (which has been most of the past decade), and CSU is much the same. Lack of hard-times dedication from fans is common in the PAC, and I was even guilty of it (hard to sit and watch the Buffs suck shit through a straw when I could go climb a mountain and be back in town for the prime-time night games). CSU does, however, have a larger in-state alumni base than CU, and if they actually played in a decent conference... who knows. 

I don't think Iowa fits at all, but I get the attraction for you. However, I think y'all are better off as is - one of the relatively few cross-conference rivalry games we see each year.

16 minutes ago, LTbear said:

So much truth in that bolded line. Both would be better off in the Big XII. The money may be a bit less at first, but you have to think that the increased donations and spending they'd get from being more competitive and playing against more natural rivals would rapidly make up for any difference in media contract.

CSU, I don't know. CU has a pretty solid following but it falls off rapidly when the Buffs suck (which has been most of the past decade), and CSU is much the same. Lack of hard-times dedication from fans is common in the PAC, and I was even guilty of it (hard to sit and watch the Buffs suck shit through a straw when I could go climb a mountain and be back in town for the prime-time night games). CSU does, however, have a larger in-state alumni base than CU, and if they actually played in a decent conference... who knows. 

I don't think Iowa fits at all, but I get the attraction for you. However, I think y'all are better off as is - one of the relatively few cross-conference rivalry games we see each year.

CSU had trouble filling their stadium when Lubick had them ranked in the late 90's and early 2000's.  They have around 10,000 fans that care and the rest of their alums in Colorado don't give a shit.

Just now, 66BUFF said:

CSU had trouble filling their stadium when Lubick had them ranked in the late 90's and early 2000's.  They have around 10,000 fans that care and the rest of their alums in Colorado don't give a shit.

They've done better now (averaged closed to 30k last year), their new stadium is pretty nice (by Lamb standards), and maybe playing in a real conference would help, but I'm in no way disagreeing with the general point, fellow Buff.

26 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

I thought the 'PAC-16' idea predated the BUG's public search for a 12th member.  But Regardless I don't see how one depended on the other.

Nope, the B1G announced its intention to expand in December, 2009.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=4745381

That was the impetus for ALL of the conference realignment that followed over the next 3 years.  Mizzou made no secret at all about desiring a B1G berth, and the worst kept secret of 2010 was that Nebraska was negotiating with them and likely to split.  That's when Texas and the other B12 schools felt they had no choice but to explore other options.  That was all absolutely a direct result of the B1G plans for expansion.

1 hour ago, notre dame joe said:

no.

ly'in delany announced that they were going to "study" options for expansion for at least 18 months around Aug/Sep '09. Soon after, around Oct & Nov, Misery lifted its skirt and publicly slutted itself for an invite.  Nebbie was first turned down by the Big10 around 1914 and there was no way Tommyboy and pinhead Perlman were going to allow Misery to take that expansion slot without making a concerted effort. Perlman said later at a luncheon that he first met with Delany and talked about getting an invite in Dec '09 at a conference.  This leaked out and Dr Oz said from the podium that there was nothing to it but it was being talked about.  Texas, Okiehoma and all the other schools started exploring their options in the spring of 2010, including checking with the Big10, ACC and meeting with the PAC because most people thought the Big12 would collapse with any major defections.   

58 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Nope, the B1G announced its intention to expand in December, 2009.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=4745381

That was the impetus for ALL of the conference realignment that followed over the next 3 years.  Mizzou made no secret at all about desiring a B1G berth, and the worst kept secret of 2010 was that Nebraska was negotiating with them and likely to split.  That's when Texas and the other B12 schools felt they had no choice but to explore other options.  That was all absolutely a direct result of the B1G plans for expansion.

A lot had already happened that led to that announcement

4 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

I dont think there is ANY WAY the nebbie board of regents would approve a move out of the Big10 - aint happenin'

Especially since they just spent the better part of a half decade getting jobbed in the pay out department by the likes of K-State

8 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

gotcha. 

yeah, no way right now on the verge of a long awaited payoff... but they wouldnt do it anyway, even for equal money, IMO.  

Agree.  In their own way, Nebraska made a "100-year decision" of their own.  Changing it would be admitting they were wrong.  No way that happens.

Colorado State always struck me-- incorrectly, it sounds like, based on the anecdotals above-- as a Kansas State type of program, meaning that if its fans were exposed to high-level success, they'd be rabidly loyal and turn out in droves. But then, without knowing, I had assumed they drew well during the best of the Lubick days.

16 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Rumor going around is that Texas Southern will leave the SWAC and join the Southland. It would be an interesting move for sure.

Hampton left this historically black MEAC for the Big South.

more of the “successful” HBCUs are considering this due to money and exposure. Not too surprising if it happens, but it’s the first I’ve heard about it.

16 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Rumor going around is that Texas Southern will leave the SWAC and join the Southland. It would be an interesting move for sure.

That's interesting because it seems like if the Southland wanted to attract a football playing member  from the SWAC,  Prairie View A&M would be a better fit.  PVAM has spent some good money on upgrading their facilities and the results show on the field.   They've come a very long way from where they were in the 90's when they brought football back and proceeded to lose something like 80 games in a row. 

On the other hand, PVAM might not want to give up it's ties with the rest of the HBC's  like Grambling,  Southern, etc.  I might be wrong, but  Texas Southern's  student body is more diversified than PVAM's and it kind of had to do that for it's survival.

19 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Screw the Cornhusker nation for that very reason.   They can continue to swim in a sea  of mediocrity in Lincoln until the world comes to an end.  And they will.

The only time I want to see us play Corn again is in the national championship or playoffs in any sport.  Same goes for aggy, at least for football.     Both are what you described.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Agree.  In their own way, Nebraska made a "100-year decision" of their own.  Changing it would be admitting they were wrong.  No way that happens

agree... it's not only a pride issue... but academic prestige and potential research revenue dwarfs athletics revenue; something they would still struggle with in the Big12 (or at least they thought they would struggle with)  Had they lost their AAU status before joining the B10, would the other schools have voted them in?  unlikely; esp the B10 schools that voted against them keeping their AAU status 

Edited by Soldierhorn

30 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

That's interesting because it seems like if the Southland wanted to attract a football playing member  from the SWAC,  Prairie View A&M would be a better fit.  PVAM has spent some good money on upgrading their facilities and the results show on the field.   They've come a very long way from where they were in the 90's when they brought football back and proceeded to lose something like 80 games in a row. 

On the other hand, PVAM might not want to give up it's ties with the rest of the HBC's  like Grambling,  Southern, etc.  I might be wrong, but  Texas Southern's  student body is more diversified than PVAM's and it kind of had to do that for it's survival.

I'm guessing being in Houston is appealing to the Southland. Also playing at BBVA can't hurt anything. I know that Texas Southern does have some pretty bad attendance numbers for a SWAC team maybe they are just looking for a change.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Colorado State always struck me-- incorrectly, it sounds like, based on the anecdotals above-- as a Kansas State type of program, meaning that if its fans were exposed to high-level success, they'd be rabidly loyal and turn out in droves. But then, without knowing, I had assumed they drew well during the best of the Lubick days.

CU was in economic dire straits when they left the conference; something they thought the PAC would alleviate but that hasnt materialized.  CSU is in worse 

Edited by Soldierhorn

47 minutes ago, jinx said:

I always thought this site was Aggy, and then they posted this and I was sure...

The commentary is top notch idiocy, and of course the LHN is the cause of all conference changes.

Those guys are amateurs, they completely forgot to blame Texas for chasing away Arkansas and ruining the SWC first.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Those guys are amateurs, they completely forgot to blame Texas for chasing away Arkansas and ruining the SWC first.

flog yourself.  It has to be UT's fault 0u and oSu left the SWC over a 100 yrs ago as well. 

[sarc]

Edited by Soldierhorn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Soldierhorn said:

CU was in economic dire straits when they left the conference; something they thought the PAC would alleviate but that hasnt materialized.  CSU is in worse 

CU moved primarily for alumni, secondarily for academic affiliation. They'd wanted the PAC for forever. All the non-Coloradan alumni base is out there. No one expected the PAC to perpetually out-earn the SEC in media revenue, but stronger ties to their alumni base has increased the CU athletics donations substantially.

Edited by LTbear

2 minutes ago, LTbear said:

CU moved primarily for alumni, secondarily for academic affiliation. They'd wanted the PAC for forever. All the non-Coloradan alumni base is out there. No one expected the PAC to perpetually out-earn the SEC in media revenue, but stronger ties to their alumni base has increased the CU athletics donations substantially.

Yep... I was responding to someone that wanted CSU

• Like 1

Just now, LTbear said:

CU moved primarily for alumni, secondarily for academic affiliation. They'd wanted the PAC for forever. All the non-Coloradan alumni base is out there. No one expected the PAC to perpetually out-earn the SEC, but stronger ties to their alumni base has increased the CU athletics donations substantially.

Yes, CU was looking to the PAC way back in the B8 days, long before the B12 was formed.  And it's not CU's fault that all of the complete idiot loser Husker and ag fans lump them into the discussion when blaming Texas for everything.  I haven't ever really seen a Colorado fan mention problems with Texas as their reason for leaving.  And no offense intended to Colorado fans, but I honestly don't notice them being gone.  Same goes for Mizzou, they never did much in the conference, and I haven't really noticed them being gone.

I always liked having Nebraska in the B12 though, and it's too bad things worked out the way they did, but they were just doing what they felt was right for their own finances when they decided to abandon the B12.  What's annoying is that Nebraska was given a free pass to make their money grab in the B1G, but Texas was lambasted for STAYING IN THE B12 and working to get more money for everyone else, and not just themselves.  Go figure.

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yes, CU was looking to the PAC way back in the B8 days, long before the B12 was formed.  And it's not CU's fault that all of the complete idiot loser Husker and ag fans lump them into the discussion when blaming Texas for everything.  I haven't ever really seen a Colorado fan mention problems with Texas as their reason for leaving.  And no offense intended to Colorado fans, but I honestly don't notice them being gone.  Same goes for Mizzou, they never did much in the conference, and I haven't really noticed them being gone.

I always liked having Nebraska in the B12 though, and it's too bad things worked out the way they did, but they were just doing what they felt was right for their own finances when they decided to abandon the B12.  What's annoying is that Nebraska was given a free pass to make their money grab in the B1G, but Texas was lambasted for STAYING IN THE B12 and working to get more money for everyone else, and not just themselves.  Go figure.

CU fans generally don't like Texas, but not in any unusual way - just the generic way of not liking the historically stronger program. And that 2005 Big XII Championship left a bad taste in their/ our mouths. 

Overall I love having CU in the PAC. The only thing we really miss is the Nebraska game. Last year's was fun.

Agree completely.

Explain how Nebby would have more money in the B12 bs the B1G with all there eyeballs and conference network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fuck You 1

Explain how Nebby would have more money in the B12 bs the B1G with all there eyeballs and conference network

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Nebraska doesn’t leave, the Big 12 would be making even more money than it currently is (which is more than Nebraska has made over the past 9 years) and the Big 10 is making less.

14 hours ago, LTbear said:

Where do you see this?   Their athletic contributions have basically remained flat over the past decade, while their school funds used has doubled.

14 hours ago, LTbear said:

CU fans generally don't like Texas, but not in any unusual way - just the generic way of not liking the historically stronger program. And that 2005 Big XII Championship left a bad taste in their/ our mouths. 

To be fair, Kindle did almost murder their QB that day.

imgur

Sure, but every member of their team was pretty much almost murdered that day.  'Twas glorious, but still not enough payback for our 2001 meltdown that gave them the conference championship.

Edited by utee94

On 6/18/2019 at 2:43 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Misery started it but it was Nebbie making deals with Delany behind the scenes is what got UT/0U and everyone all stirred up and checking for landing spots.  For the conference to stay together, everyone wanted assurances that nobody had intentions on leaving.  At the June 2010 Big12 conference meeting, there was a movement to get everyone to sign a contract binding everyone to the conference.  Everyone signed but Nebbie and Buffy; CU already announced they were gong to the PAC in May 2010. Tommyboy & Pinhead wouldnt sign it and made a big deal about everyone pressuring them because, obviously, they were making a behind the scenes deal with Delany that was intended to stab the Big12 in the back.  On the drive back to nebbie, nebbie land, they had phone conversations with Delany and said the timeline has to be moved up or they will have to sign the contract. There is absolutely no way a 100yr decision is made over the phone unless preliminary discussion and decisions were made previously.  Delany, Dr Oz and Pinhead are the villains here and, yet, they went on a campaign to deride the Big12 and UT specifically for what they were going to do anyway. 

BTW, it had NOTHING to do with the LHN. The LHN hadnt even been thought of by June 2010

Edited by Soldierhorn
  • Like 1