The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

thanks for the encouragement, truly. like I said, this thread would be hard to give up. one day we need to all get together maybe on bruins boat, 650's goes too fast and mine is still a pipe dream. lando's is a lake boat or his would qualify, brew will be there soon i'm sure. shark's is too skinny some one would get hurt, cajun only likes young girls so me and my old lady are out, plus he's in the middle of nowhere.  maybe we find a spot in the bahamas for land dwellers to hang out and all the boats dock and we just muledick our way around with Jamaican accents, playing bob marley too loud and grab assing like friends from teh internet. I hear there are swimming pigs and cartel planes wrecked in the shallows. sounds like a luxury time to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, troph said:

thanks for the encouragement, truly. like I said, this thread would be hard to give up. one day we need to all get together maybe on bruins boat, 650's goes too fast and mine is still a pipe dream. lando's is a lake boat or his would qualify, brew will be there soon i'm sure. shark's is too skinny some one would get hurt, cajun only likes young girls so me and my old lady are out, plus he's in the middle of nowhere.  maybe we find a spot in the bahamas for land dwellers to hang out and all the boats dock and we just muledick our way around with Jamaican accents, playing bob marley too loud and grab assing like friends from teh internet. I hear there are swimming pigs and cartel planes wrecked in the shallows. sounds like a luxury time to me.

The best Permit fishing spot on North Andros is a lagoon with a wrecked cartel plane out toward the Joulter Keys. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This one thing I really love about these hobbies threads. I don’t feel Ike the jackasses show up over here.  I’ve seen some posters in these threads that I didn’t agree with what they say in football threads or what not but it gave me a whole new meaning on what they are saying.  Thee threads are real life and I feel like this is who people really are. 

good stuff. Everyone contributing positively here better stick around. It’s what keeps humans normal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, troph said:

re-evaluated for a month plus whether I wanted to stick around.  threats and other bullshit that I only get here made me really wonder what the fuck I was doing here, my days still may be numbered, who knows still pretty pissed about it all. the boat, RV and fishing threads are gold though, hard to leave those behind.

Apparently I missed something. Sorry to hear about that troph

On 1/6/2022 at 8:43 AM, troph said:

I guess I'm back, I see my ignore list needs to be updated (f the haters), we had a great time in BVI over thanksgiving.  long story, lots of pics and videos. had to kick a machismo captain to the curb but our mutiny on the 45 foot cat was ultimately successful, we took it as our own and sailed the nursery school waters of the BVIs like we owned the place.  got up to 9 knots at 35-40 degrees into the wind (apparent wind was 18-22 knots) sailing a school bus of a yacht. even got the girl to show some leg, though she wouldn't fully lift her skirt.  manuvered around in that twin diesel under power like I'd been there before, super, super easy.  I'm actually excited to see what this means going forward...

just finished key west too on my client's hatty.  another great trip the guy has the right idea.  we dove on our own off his boat as well. had a great time, the marina life is absolutely how we want to do this. key west food scene was surprisingly good.  the music scene was surprisingly bad. We are infinitely spoiled here in Austin with food and music.  we found there wasn't much to do after water sports - we did some fly fishing, diving, sunset cruising, off shore fishing, marina people/boat watching.  maybe it's just where we are in life.  that said, there is so much to do around the water, we really, really enjoyed it.  definitely going back. looks like the boat will be in Islamorada though which is fine by me.  looks like I'm getting roped into a fishing tourney too this summer on the boat.  no complaints.

ended the trip in Miami seeing friends, definitely over that scene though a day or two in south beach low-key is hard to complain about.

looks like we will do the BVIs with another couple and our kids as soon as school is out. diving, this time anegada and even some fishing. pretty cool scene in the BVIs actually. still recovering. Oil nut bay and bitter end coming online while we were there and shortly after.  looking forward to more development prior to our return.  soggy dollar was overrated btw. loved soper's hole and saba rock.  for a variety of reasons we missed the north side of tortola, mostly related to how the mutiny played out.

speaking of how easy that twin diesel was at sub 8 knots and maneuvering in tight spots, thinking about a trawler for the san juans soon too, but soon probably means 2023 as we have our trip to Tahiti planned for march, been postponed twice now for covid. looks like some amalfi coast action too in september, scouting out our retirement anchorage spots on a small ship cruise.

met some really cool cruisers at the marinas over xmas and new years.  inspired. not sure what direction we will go, but need that saltwater cruiser in 2-3 years I know that.  still enamored with the new oysters (I hear you g650), but I've been eyeing the moody ds 54 the last few weeks.  looks like a great florida, ICW, gulf, bahamas cruiser actually. new are 2 years out, none used that I can tell. will need an interim boat first if we pull the trigger, maybe a used hanse 40-45.  who knows.  cats seem too much for US waters, ideal for anchoring in the Caribbean. not sure we need that much space though. my gf probably won't do too many overnights so coastal cruising is likely our limit, though I guarantee you I'll convince one of my sons to blue water cruise with me.

boat pron...

ds 54

ds54-1.jpg

ds54-2.jpg

ds54-3.jpg

I love the instrument layout on the helm stations, and there is a nav station in the saloon that would allow monitoring and auto pilot adjustment from inside.  for comfort this seems rad.  but it's fully automatic, can't tell if there is any manual override, all lines are basically hidden to a point where you really don't see them at all, and it has a self-tacking jib system.  I do think a lot of the fun of sailing may be taken out of it by this set up.

that said, they nail the deck saloon concept.  the bulwark is a really nice feature, as is same level living when we start talking about sailing with our puppy. He's 2 and will be 4-5 when we acquire such a boat so it's something to pay attention to.  funny reading on the forums how much salty dogs hate the sliders.  it's a monohull cat, by design. that's what's awesome about it.  when I do the ARC across the atlantic, I doubt it will be in one of these though.  boats are inherently compromises.  I can see why this has a lot of appeal for a life in the Caribbean or Med cruising around from wine and dinner spot to another wine and dinner spot, with virtually none on the used market right now.

I've looked at that Moody 54DS.  Novel design.  They were bought by Hanse 10+ years ago, and the Moody quality apparently took a hit.  But it looks cool and comfortable.

Curious about the BVI cat.  If we did that again we'd probably go cat over monohull just for the space, but did you need any cat specific certification?  Those cats are pretty deluxe. 

18 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I've looked at that Moody 54DS.  Novel design.  They were bought by Hanse 10+ years ago, and the Moody quality apparently took a hit.  But it looks cool and comfortable.

Curious about the BVI cat.  If we did that again we'd probably go cat over monohull just for the space, but did you need any cat specific certification?  Those cats are pretty deluxe. 

The cat was super easy.  you would need no certifications, they automatically clear you for 10 feet more than you sail regularly. there is a long story about how we ended up booting the captain off the boat and I might write it out for y'all at some point but not on a work day. but it started with me knowing I could take it on my own but wanting some adult supervision so I asked for a captain. the arrangement did not work out. when I escalated to management I gave them three options - full refund, captain the way I wanted it or just give me the damn boat.  they gave me the damn boat.  my sum total of credentials?  ASA 101 (basic keel boat), ASA 103 (basic cruising), one day in 5-6 knot winds in the Santa Barbara channel, sailing a 42, 37 and 35 monohull and owning a 27 foot Catalina (lake sailing) all less than 1 year.  With that they gave me a 45 foot cat.

I would likely not do a monohull in BVI, it's made for groups and partying.  we dove, sailed, drank, ate and drank.  It was great times and the more room you have the better.  But these things sail like a school bus driving fast on a road full of potholes - in real wind with real waves the slamming is noticeable, I think it's the cat version of a 20 degree or more heeling in a monohull, it's just what they do. 

the finish out is just ok, even on the new ones.  I suspect the owner versions (not in charter) and with upgrades are plenty nice and checking them out in company marketing materials does lead to plenty of day dreaming.  Comparing the charter cat to the hatty 55 I've been playing on lately, I'd take the hatty 55 all day long.  the feeling of comfort a tricked out boat gives versus the charter version is demonstrable.  it's why I'm drooling over the moody ds45 and the oyster 565 right now - the finish out makes a huge difference for the cruising life. 

we will do BVI several more times, its a lot of fun, but we are already eyeing the next level sailing in the Caribbean. in the end, what I want is more, always more and with sailing it's seeing more, going some place new.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:34 AM, troph said:

re-evaluated for a month plus whether I wanted to stick around.  threats and other bullshit that I only get here made me really wonder what the fuck I was doing here, my days still may be numbered, who knows still pretty pissed about it all. the boat, RV and fishing threads are gold though, hard to leave those behind.

Post the fuckers on the shit on blast thread. We can work this out real quick. Sorry to hear about the pos people. Glad you are back posting. I live vicariously through you and G650. Moar pure boat fun. Less stinkpots. 🤣  I kid, I love all boats.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 12:32 PM, G650 said:

A little footage from practice on Wednesday with our A0 up. Unfortunately the race was literally 100% upwind.

I would be at half mast that entire trip if I was at the helm of that boat while hauling upwind at that clip. Hnng

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux

23 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Post the fuckers on the shit on blast thread. We can work this out real quick. Sorry to hear about the pos people. Glad you are back posting. I live vicariously through you and G650. Moar pure boat fun. Less stinkpots. 🤣  I kid, I love all boats.

I like to think I can handle my own, anyway he got what he deserved… sorta.  

53 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I live vicariously through you and G650

Don't feel bad, I had to live vicariously through the race tracker day before yesterday. So many covid cases with senior guys at work meant I had to stay home this week while boat raced without me.

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, troph said:

I like to think I can handle my own, anyway he got what he deserved… sorta.  

Leaving on the 20th and as of now we are booked to come back Mar23 so you’ve got a 2 month window. Y’all come down and visit. Jax can come stay at my place while you are gone 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, justhookit said:

Leaving on the 20th and as of now we are booked to come back Mar23 so you’ve got a 2 month window. Y’all come down and visit. Jax can come stay at my place while you are gone 😂

definitely want to, our tahiti trip (2 weeks) was rescheduled (for the third time) during that window.  next year though we are in.

On 1/7/2022 at 3:00 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

I would be at half mast that entire trip if I was at the helm of that boat while hauling upwind at that clip. Hnng

Such a trip to be under full sail but need heeled over at all.  The only cat I’ve ever sailed is an old Hobin 16 that would ride up on one rail.  I really wonder how they handle real weather.  But in the BVIs, you don’t have to worry about that shit.  Awesome @troph.  You’ve got my wheels turning.  When we did the BVIs we chartered the same boat I ended up buying, albeit a few years newer (‘91 v my ‘85). 

I type this from on board.  Asked the fam tonight around 7 if they wanted to sail tomorrow.  I got the typical lukewarm response.  I said “well tell you what, I’ll head down there now, and if you guys decide you’re in, great. I’ll have it ready to go.”  Not really caring if they come or not.  I know my wife.  She’ll sleep, and the kids will sleep longer, and she won’t wake them up. Whatever.  I’ll be boating tomorrow with or without them.  There isn’t a place anywhere I’d rather be right now.  Tunes, a cocktail, space heater, and sea air.  All I need.

• Hook 'Em 1

Btw the cats do fine in weather, there’s dozen of videos on that topic out there. I’m not an expert but plenty transatlantic crossings in them.

for what they are - cruisers not racing boats - they can actually haul ass on a beam reach. We hit 9 knots in 15-20 knots apparent winds trying to go up wind - not their strong suit. If I beared away I have no doubt I would have pushed even faster. They don’t heel really at all - I had a little lean with gusts pushing 25 knots but that was it. Slamming is the biggest issue imo, I hate it.  I’d prefer a boat that slices through.  But damn what a fine party yacht. The leopards are amazing for that. Next June we are springing for the 50 ft with a fly bridge, and they live from the front all the way through and to the back. Just easy living and a breeze under power.

12 minutes ago, troph said:

Btw the cats do fine in weather, there’s dozen of videos on that topic out there. I’m not an expert but plenty transatlantic crossings in them.

for what they are - cruisers not racing boats - they can actually haul ass on a beam reach. We hit 9 knots in 15-20 knots apparent winds trying to go up wind - not their strong suit. If I beared away I have no doubt I would have pushed even faster. They don’t heel really at all - I had a little lean with gusts pushing 25 knots but that was it. Slamming is the biggest issue imo, I hate it.  I’d prefer a boat that slices through.  But damn what a fine party yacht. The leopards are amazing for that. Next June we are springing for the 50 ft with a fly bridge, and they live from the front all the way through and to the back. Just easy living and a breeze under power.

I know people sail the globe in them, so I know they can, I’m just trying to imagine it.  The roll dynamics are weird. I have been in 25-30 ft seas for 4 days straight.  That s intense, but it was in a 52k displacement boat.  Never was really worried.  But just wonder how a multihull manages that. If money is no object, go get yourself a Lagoon 45 or some such.  You will be the queen of the high seas.  And I will watch with envy.  

And it looks like gunboat is finally succumbing to the cruising trend… 

https://www.gunboat.com/series/gunboat72v/

The V series begins squarely with the cruising aficionado in mind, when nothing other than a Gunboat will do.

E687766D-7718-4D91-89C4-EDB4DDE2D74E.jpeg

Looks like it’s still a concept and hasn’t yet hit the water but I don’t even want to know the price on this, gotta be $6-8m…? 

but if g650 and Bruin want to go halfsies on this with me where my half is no more than 20% I’d listen… 

Edited by troph

Found a boat @G650 and I may see eye to eye on…  2002 swan 77 for just under a mil. Too big for me but the layout is such an interested and experienced full time Capitan would not be hard to find. 

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2002-nautor-swan-77-7728668/

925CEE81-4E7F-4ACE-99B8-D31002021AF0.jpeg

the saloon is perfect for chilaxing as my boys call it and the crew cabins in the bow are spacious. Master cabin is redonk.  

DE6BC229-145C-47C9-94D3-CA9F1DC53159.jpeg

Some light interior decorating updates needed. sails and rigging and electronics seem ok.  Come on 6th grader get your ass out of high school!!! 

Edited by troph

48 minutes ago, troph said:

Found a boat @G650 and I may see eye to eye on…  2002 swan 77 for just under a mil. Too big for me but the layout is such an interested and experienced full time Capitan would not be hard to find. 

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2002-nautor-swan-77-7728668/

925CEE81-4E7F-4ACE-99B8-D31002021AF0.jpeg

the saloon is perfect for chilaxing as my boys call it and the crew cabins in the bow are spacious. Master cabin is redonk.  

DE6BC229-145C-47C9-94D3-CA9F1DC53159.jpeg

Some light interior decorating updates needed. sails and rigging and electronics seem ok.  Come on 6th grader get your ass out of high school!!! 

Gorgeous yacht. It's definitely a load though and would need full time captain as well as part time crew. Just getting that much mass to the dock in any sort of breeze is an operation.

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

Gorgeous yacht. It's definitely a load though and would need full time captain as well as part time crew. Just getting that much mass to the dock in any sort of breeze is an operation.

Yeah my limit is 60 ft I think. Cards fall right a full time Capitan would be possible, part time crew maybe for a few months at a time maybe the summer months but I don’t really want a crew. I like extreme privacy. Problem with 60 and under is a tighter layout and I’m a tall drink of water and need my nice large bed.  But this one? It’s set up perfectly for it. 

23 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I know people sail the globe in them, so I know they can, I’m just trying to imagine it.  The roll dynamics are weird. I have been in 25-30 ft seas for 4 days straight.  That s intense, but it was in a 52k displacement boat.  Never was really worried.  But just wonder how a multihull manages that. If money is no object, go get yourself a Lagoon 45 or some such.  You will be the queen of the high seas.  And I will watch with envy.  

I’m trying to figure it all out. I’ll at least do a trans-Atlantic at some point. My partner wants nothing to do with it. So it’s either a separate trip and with a team where I’m just a member or it’s my yacht and I bring others along. I’m not sold on a cat for circumnavigation. I am sold on the cats for a good party though. And if I did more than just a trans-Atlantic I have to figure out the relationship part. She gets sea sick and coastal cruising is the most I’ll get out of her. It’s remarkable she’s vacationing on yachts with me now as it is. I bet I can cruise the Med, parts of the South Pacific and the Caribbean with her and she could fly to meet us. That leaves a few weeks at a time where we are apart as opposed to months on end. Don’t know how I do that. Good news though, I have three sons. One may cozy up and want to learn the family business which means I could have a sailing partner, or like that 77 swan I may chose to blow a serious wad of cash on a 3-5 year epic run of the hot spots but move it around ourselves with a crew. I’ve got a LOT to learn but in less than a year I went from knowing nothing to managing a 45 footer in the BVIs so I’m sure if I keep it up I can get there. One thing I think is certain, I need to chase the sun. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah my limit is 60 ft I think. Cards fall right a full time Capitan would be possible, part time crew maybe for a few months at a time maybe the summer months but I don’t really want a crew. I like extreme privacy. Problem with 60 and under is a tighter layout and I’m a tall drink of water and need my nice large bed.  But this one? It’s set up perfectly for it. 

Personally I've always been of a mind to go as small as you are comfortable with from an accommodations standpoint.  Boats grow exponentially displacement wise.  

59 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Personally I've always been of a mind to go as small as you are comfortable with from an accommodations standpoint.  Boats grow exponentially displacement wise.  

I get that for sure, but I need a queen bed at a minimum with some room around it to feel comfortable. Possibly a smaller king (the way boat beds are designed). I also need at least 6’7” of head room (that gives me 3 inches of leeway). So my smallest comfortable size is realistically 45-50 ft minimum. 

when I have to downsize I'm downsizing back to lake travis and possibly colorado or maybe mexico.  I met a captain of 60 foot plus Hatteras enclosed fly bridge in key west - the yacht owner was a 70 something year old single woman.  she's still going strong, he's trying to figure out how to tell her she's going to have to move the boat around less because she's getting up there.

I’m jealous, I was just looking back at pics from our sailing trip around St. John this past summer. I was really looking forward to sailing both US and British waters but COVID kept us in the US. STJ is my favorite island so spending 10 nights just off those beaches was pretty awesome. I enjoyed sailing the mono we rented when we did the BVIs (46’ Jeanneau). It was so easy to sail. I found the cat harder, largely due to the setup and lack of clutches. It was crazy comfortable though. My goal is to retire onto a boat in the Caribbean in a few years and my wife wants it to be a cat. I wish I could get more sailing time. I am lucky enough to live on a lake so I get lots of powerboat time.

6ad193c22c7a9b494cfaf275833df766.jpg

4cb2e3f9adf8c477ef8cbe416f4fdcaa.jpg
db312d12574d81b7b452a7669620f42c.jpg
e5d8bef91bd7e4eddc50550b8a433c19.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, troph said:

when I have to downsize I'm downsizing back to lake travis and possibly colorado or maybe mexico.  I met a captain of 60 foot plus Hatteras enclosed fly bridge in key west - the yacht owner was a 70 something year old single woman.  she's still going strong, he's trying to figure out how to tell her she's going to have to move the boat around less because she's getting up there.

Single?

but really if she’s got someone to run the boat I’m not sure why she can’t move the boat wherever she wants unless it’s a money thing. Getting on/off the boat is the same whether you are at a dock in Florida, or Bahamas, or Mexico.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Single?

but really if she’s got someone to run the boat I’m not sure why she can’t move the boat wherever she wants unless it’s a money thing. Getting on/off the boat is the same whether you are at a dock in Florida, or Bahamas, or Mexico.

single yes.  she's moving the boat all over chasing the fish, traveling and going out on it.  it's not exactly an easy schedule for an old lady, but I'm pretty sure she's making the same arguments to him that you are for her.  I wanted to meet her, I like her moxy.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

single yes.  she's moving the boat all over chasing the fish, traveling and going out on it.  it's not exactly an easy schedule for an old lady, but I'm pretty sure she's making the same arguments to him that you are for her.  I wanted to meet her, I like her moxy.

Yeah ok. Captain’s job is not to worry about that. Get the boat to where she wants to go and have it ready is the job. I’d laugh my ass off if my captain ever told me anything other than ok, see you then/there. On the boat, it’s entirely his show and I would never question anything. On land it’s mine.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, justhookit said:

Yeah ok. Captain’s job is not to worry about that. Get the boat to where she wants to go and have it ready is the job. I’d laugh my ass off if my captain ever told me anything other than ok, see you then/there. On the boat, it’s entirely his show and I would never question anything. On land it’s mine.

he's apparently worked with her for decades and is more of a captain and manager of the whole thing.  I think he cares about her and is worried.  the boat was there though, so he's still doing what she asks him to do.

18 hours ago, dlatin said:

My goal is to retire onto a boat in the Caribbean in a few years and my wife wants it to be a cat. I wish I could get more sailing time. I am lucky enough to live on a lake so I get lots of powerboat time.

Speaking of which, what's the latest with @Viking?  Updates from life on board a cat in the Caribbean?

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I haven't posted much because doing so feels like bragging and I'm not that type. But since you asked, it's 4pm on a Tuesday and I'm drunk on Kaliks at Staniel Cay. Life does not suck.

People need to live vicariously through you.  I insist you post regularly!