Hereditary

ajax

New horror movie. The reviews for this are mostly extremely positive, saying it's the best horror movie in years with impressive visuals and not the typical cookie cutter Hollywood horror movie. Other reviews are saying it fails basic story telling. Regardless people are saying it's scary.

9 hours ago, LCHorn said:

Calling my shot (I haven't seen anything beyond the trailer).  The plot is going to be similar to Being John Malkovich for those that are spoiler wary. 

That's what the trailer would lead you to believe. 

Saw it last night.  The trailer doesn't give away the plot but at the same time there are a few things in the trailer that they should have left out.  I didn't think it was as scary as the marketing led us to believe but it was thoroughly creepy and I enjoyed it even though there were a couple of things that made me roll my eyes.  I'll probably go back and see it again because I'm sure I missed a bunch of foreshadowing.  

Definitely worth seeing. Visually stunning & creepy with moments of "jump out of your chair" horror. Final scene was sadly one of the weakest, but I'd still watch it again for the strong acting, great pacing/tension, and the hidden clues throughout (saw many of them, but I'm sure there were many more I missed the first time).

enjoyed it quite a bit. definitely not the scariest movie i've ever seen, but it did a good job of maintaining an ominous, creepy vibe throughout the movie. yes, there were some ridiculous scenes and the ending left something to be desired but it was overall a good movie. 

Saw it last night--my brief review with some slight spoilers for the unwary:

More horrific than scary, and reminded me of a mash-up between Kill List and Antichrist (and maybe a little The Witch).  I do think comparisons to The Exorcist (in terms of how frightening it might be) are invalid, as the latter is still the tops for me.  It struck me as a little over-detached, as I found none of the characters overly sympathetic (I still think Poltergeist the master at making the plight of the family feel like your own), and the precipitating event in the first act was so horrific that nothing that came after it could really top it, despite how bananas it might have gotten. 

Also, really glad I didn't bring my wife.  I'm amazed at how being a father (of two years) has totally reshaped my interpretation of films with parenting at the center. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wutang75 said:

I liked the plot once I accepted what it was. At first I was let down by the ending but I kinda like the 70s throwback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd Vanderwerff at Vox and late of the AVClub really liked the part, too, harkening back to the Satanic panics of the ‘80’s (“they are corrupting our children through heavy metal!”).  

i kind of miss it.   Now all the mass hysteria is about fucking gluten.

• 3 weeks later...

Hereditary is not built out of shocking, jump-cut scares, but the sort of trapped, powerless, slow motion agony parents experience in nightmares. Even the pivotal scene of the movie lingers on the emotional aftermath than the event itself. 

I don't want to get into spoilers, but this movie gets the extremely rare five stars from me. I think it's a modern classic. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I loved it. No jump scares or other horror crutches. It's a slow burn with lots of questions running through the viewer's mind throughout -- are things going bad because of mental illness, insomnia, paralyzing grief, trauma, a fucked up family, a combo, or none of the above? And it has its share of disturbing, unforgettable scenes. Best horror movie I've seen since It Follows, They have similar pacing and both share an oppressive sense of gloom and dread.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just got around to watching this.  One of the best horror films I've seen this year. (and  I watch tons and tons of horror films)   Reminded me a little of 'The Witch" from a couple years ago.   Though the two stories aren't alike, except for visual story telling and creepy mood.

Like honolulu  and Bozo said, no jump scares, no super loud musical stings, or other horror film cheap tricks.  Just subtle, (almost minimalist) psychological creepiness that builds and builds toward a satisfying conclusion.   

Very little blood, no disappointing rubber monsters, no bad CGI effects   Just lots of creative camera-work and an increasing sense of dread.  

If you like horror films, or psychological films, definitely watch it.

Edited by Monster
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/2/2018 at 11:41 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I haven’t rewatched this film yet, but the beauty and weirdness of the final scene has stuck with me for months. Haunting is the wrong word, but I’m not sure what else to call it.

I'd call it creepy as fuck