Austin FC

Bottlecap

Before last year, when they brought in FInaly, I never thought I'd like him as much as I do, but he sure feels like the soul of this team now. Especially with a rough year on offense, he just works, and finds a way (when other, much more expensive options that won't be named but are definitely from Argentina, can't). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 3:38 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Looks like Nick Lima is gone and I am not upset about it.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:09 AM, skittlebrau said:

Oh hey, I broke that Lima news. Also hearing the club could be putting out non-Lima news today. Probably also not the roster option news we’ve been waiting for.

• Hook 'Em 1

CURRENT AUSTIN FC ROSTER (19)

GOALKEEPERS (3): Matt Bersano, Damian Las, Brad Stuver

DEFENDERS (6): Julio Cascante, Jon Gallagher, Matt Hedges, Žan Kolmanič, Jhohan Romaña (loan), Leo Väisänen

MIDFIELDERS (8): Sebastián Driussi, Ethan Finlay, CJ Fodrey, Daniel Pereira, Emiliano Rigoni, Alex Ring, Jhojan Valencia, Owen Wolff

FORWARDS (2): Moussa Djitté (loan), Gyasi Zardes

Austin has a bunch of spaces to fill.  Clearly two forwards and two outside backs.  I think we need at least one more center back and two outside midfielders.  A player to backup Seba at the 10 would be helpful as well - Ring and Wolff can play there in a pinch, but have not proved to be very effective at it.

I wonder how many spots we fill in the coming window.  Does Rodo get just enough to get to the summer and then sign some players from Europe?

• 2 weeks later...
Why did we extend that dude when he basically got no time this year when our defense barely had a pulse? I hear he’s a great locker room guy but we just need better players across the board. This makes no sense to me. 
He's cheap, he's a decent player, and the club's priorities are elsewhere right now. He'll be just as effective on the bench next year as he was this year and he can play some minutes if needed.

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

No way we get US, Mexico, Argentina, or Brazil, right?

Group stage schedule for the U.S., Argentina and Brazil

U.S.

• AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas, June 23
  • Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia, June 27
  • GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Missouri, July 1

Argentina

• Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia, , June 20
  • MetLife Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey, June 25
  • Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida, June 29

Brazil 

• SoFi Stadium, Inglewood, California, June 24
  • Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada, June 28
  • Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, California, July 2
Edited by Jerry Callo

• 2 weeks later...

The schedule is out and its terrible for Texans wanting to get away in the summer. June 15 @ Colorado is cool but the weather in Austin usually isn't abysmal then. Minnesota on June 22 is decent but still in June and Minneapolis is just a "sure, fine" location. Or is it better as a destination @Al_4_ISU?  

July/August are truly worst case right now with games in Austin and Dallas (Frisco) only right now with a trip to Nashville way out on August 24th when all my traveling buddies will have started teaching/coaching by then. Maybe with our terrible season we won't host in the Leagues Cup this year and instead go somewhere cool like Portland or Mexico City.

Austin FC

Edited by SimonBolivar

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The schedule is out and its terrible for Texans wanting to get away in the summer. June 15 @ Colorado is cool but the weather in Austin usually isn't abysmal then. Minnesota on June 22 is decent but still in June and Minneapolis is just a "sure, fine" location. Or is it better as a destination @Al_4_ISU?  

July/August are truly worst case right now with games in Austin and Dallas only right now with a trip to Nashville way out on August 24th when all my traveling buddies will have started teaching/coaching by then. Maybe with our terrible season we won't host in the Leagues Cup this year and instead go somewhere cool like Portland or Mexico City.

Austin FC

Depends on what you're looking for.  Minneapolis has lots of great places to eat and drink.  If you're traveling to go a soccer game for a weekend, I'd assume that's all you're really looking for in a destination, right?

If you're looking for a lengthier type thing, that is a really nice time of year to get up into the north woods, but that's gonna be a 2 hour drive one way from Minneapolis/St Paul.

Minneapolis in June can be hotter than you likely expect (100 degrees wouldn't shock anyone), but will almost certainly be cooler than Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Depends on what you're looking for.  Minneapolis has lots of great places to eat and drink.  If you're traveling to go a soccer game for a weekend, I'd assume that's all you're really looking for in a destination, right?

If you're looking for a lengthier type thing, that is a really nice time of year to get up into the north woods, but that's gonna be a 2 hour drive one way from Minneapolis/St Paul.

Minneapolis in June can be hotter than you likely expect (100 degrees wouldn't shock anyone), but will almost certainly be cooler than Texas.

We did KC last year in late June for a game and that weekend was about food, drink, WW1 Museum, CBK Hall of Fame, and some sports gambling. I'm sure there can be a similar type schedule in Minneapolis for a weekend?

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We did KC last year in late June for a game and that weekend was about food, drink, WW1 Museum, CBK Hall of Fame, and some sports gambling. I'm sure there can be a similar type schedule in Minneapolis for a weekend?

Oh, for sure.  There's a really good Minneapolis thread in this forum.  I've given my general recs in there.  Not sure of anything I'd add.  If the Twins are at home that weekend and it doesn't conflict with the match, you should absolutely go.  Target Field is beautiful.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
Does our FO know they're allowed to spend money on defenders?

Nope. Only on washed up strikers past their prime. AKA, “the Zardes rule.”

From what I understand, perhaps the best long-term talent on our roster is Las…and we’re going to find a way to give him up for $50 and a bag of used soccer balls, aren’t we?
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...

So Klopp is burned out from coaching in Europe? I wonder if there's a league where he could coach with less stress. Maybe there's a team in that league that is in a region with many German settlers. One with a Wienerschnitzel across the street from the stadium. I'm just saying, Klopp would look good in verde. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1