Concerts you are attending

bamachine

27 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Seems like it would be a great The Band cover group, all dressed like Walter from Breaking Bad a la the Neds from Okilly Dokilly.

I'm still trying to figure out why its called The Last Walt as apparently this is the 15th time they've done it.  Perhaps there will be a Walt explanation...

Walt T-Shirt

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/7/2023 at 4:06 PM, C-Man said:

Anybody been to Kilby Block Party in SLC? The 2024 lineup came out yesterday and holy hell it's good.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 4.02.12 PM.png

Wife and I just pulled the trigger on VIP tickets for this. We're headed to SLC. Never been before.

On 12/12/2023 at 11:03 AM, jetsfan76 said:

Social D & Bad Religion co-headliner, April 19 at Tech Port in SA, April 20 at Moody.

Haven't seen Social D in years but not sure I can fight through Bad Religion to make this one.

On 12/13/2023 at 10:06 AM, CooterBrown said:

Grabbed tickets to Jenny Lewis at Moody in the artist presale today.  The code is CHERRYBABY if you want it.

Would love to see her in Dallas but South Side is such a shitty room.

One of our group scored tickets to see Phish at the Sphere in April.  Never figured we'd get lucky in the general sale, but we got lower level, dead center, at the edge of the overhang, which is probably good so as to protect us from falling wooks who will be convinced they can fly.

saw attic ted's christmas opera "mary's little secret" last night. my favorite austin christmas tradition. 

mary's secret is that she cheated on joseph and made up the whole virgin birth thing. it's always entertaining watching people slowly realize what's going on and becoming increasingly offended. 

On 12/15/2023 at 4:11 PM, dcbc said:

One of our group scored tickets to see Phish at the Sphere in April.  Never figured we'd get lucky in the general sale, but we got lower level, dead center, at the edge of the overhang, which is probably good so as to protect us from falling wooks who will be convinced they can fly.

what row?

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

22 (rows in that section start at 12.

you're right on the edge.  you won't be able to see all the way up but not completely shut out.  people that unknowingly by 25 or higher in the 100s get there and are so pissed (rightfully).  you can't see shit.  i cannot imagine how fucking trippy that will be with phish stuff.  there will be some freak outs.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

you're right on the edge.  you won't be able to see all the way up but not completely shut out.  people that unknowingly by 25 or higher in the 100s get there and are so pissed (rightfully).  you can't see shit.  i cannot imagine how fucking trippy that will be with phish stuff.  there will be some freak outs.

They guy who got them was completely unaware.  Thankfully, he got far enough forward for it not to be a significant issue.  There's a good shot of the view someone took from that row in the adjoining section.  The top center of the roof is obscured, but most of the rest is visible, and the view of the band will be fantastic.  

We're going to the last night of the run.  Should be a good time.

Just now, dcbc said:

They guy who got them was completely unaware.  Thankfully, he got far enough forward for it not to be a significant issue.  There's a good shot of the view someone took from that row in the adjoining section.  The top center of the roof is obscured, but most of the rest is visible, and the view of the band will be fantastic.  

We're going to the last night of the run.  Should be a good time.

for reference, my pix/vid on the previous page from u2 are row "18." (aka 6)

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, sidis said:

for reference, my pix/vid on the previous page from u2 are row "18." (aka 6)

We're in 105, but this is the view from 106, Row 22.  We got these tickets for face value (no platinum).  So for that price, I'm good with the view.

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/wallpaper/GrievousAngel-20231101223415.jpg

https://aviewfrommyseat.com/wallpaper/GrievousAngel-202311012235i10.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rusty dusty- only saw one song but they seemed alright. Power pop.
Jess helios- really awful space cadet jamband hippie shit.
Gus baldwin and the sketch- garage punk. great energy and good songs, will see them again.
Kenton Mackay- 90's guitar rock sound. they were pretty good, seemed like they hadn't played together much. Probably worth seeing again.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Anybody know much about The Spits?  Going to see them at Mohawk tomorrow.  (Daughter is opening, they're together on a mini-tour.)

I saw that the Spits and your daughter’s band are coming to denton. Is this mini tour called the saliva tour?

8 minutes ago, GenXer said:

I saw that the Spits and your daughter’s band are coming to denton. Is this mini tour called the saliva tour?

Don't know the name of the tour, it's just a few dates in Texas.  I don't know anything about The Spits, but I guess they're big in that world?

i saw them like a decade ago during sxsw. not really into the whole punk thing but they were fine, reminded me of the black lips a little...definitely the garage punk variety. i remember they wore costumes and had a keyboard player that i couldn't ever hear.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, stc said:

i saw them like a decade ago during sxsw. not really into the whole punk thing but they were fine, reminded me of the black lips a little...definitely the garage punk variety. i remember they wore costumes and had a keyboard player that i couldn't ever hear.  

Cool, I told my wife we were sticking around for The Spits, I'll try to update with a mini-review.

Ride and Charlatans was a surprisingly good show. My expectations were tempered given their age.

A couple noteworthy things about Ride. They didn’t play Twisterella. That sucked. They’re also really loud. I went to 35 shows last year only Ride and Ravonettes registered on my personal too loud scale. I had to back away from the stage to get to a comfortable listening distance.

Charlatans had better stage charisma. Lead singer engaged with the audience a lot. They finished strong with The Only One I Know and Sproston Green.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, GenXer said:

Ride and Charlatans was a surprisingly good show. My expectations were tempered given their age.

A couple noteworthy things about Ride. They didn’t play Twisterella. That sucked. They’re also really loud. I went to 35 shows last year only Ride and Ravonettes registered on my personal too loud scale. I had to back away from the stage to get to a comfortable listening distance.

Charlatans had better stage charisma. Lead singer engaged with the audience a lot. They finished strong with The Only One I Know and Sproston Green.

I would've liked to have seen Ride. Saw that on the schedule late in 2023 but it totally slipped my mind. Weird they didn't play Twisterella.

I wouldn't mind seeing Yo La Tengo in a few weeks at Longhorn Ballroom, I think. But I haven't bought tickets yet.

I'm really itching for some live music right now.  Have not seen a live show since mid-December due to some travel and this ass weather.  Going to see if I can convince my wife to go somewhere this weekend.

May go check this out on Friday just to get a fix... https://www.instagram.com/p/C2IxAbiJwZF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Looking at Oliver Tree at ACL Live.  You either like him or not so I may end up going solo  My wife thinks his music is fine but is not necessarily down with his schtick 

On 1/11/2024 at 2:19 PM, GenXer said:

I also was at the Charlatans show. I fuckin' love "Some Friendly" and "Between 10th and 11th".  Thought it was cool they played the latter in its entirety.  Sproston Green is a great end of show song.  The last time I saw them was in 2015 at Fun Fun Fun Fest.

The Record Company brought it tonight. Opened strong with Life to Fix.

Based on their social media posts, I get the feeling this may be their last shot at making it. If you get an opportunity, I recommend seeing them. I think their music translates better live than on their albums. It sounds stronger live in my opinion.

Maybe unpopular take, but Coldplay put on the best show I have seen in a long time last night.

One cool moment was during The Scientist, the piano literally broke and Chris was upset he couldn’t do the song correctly, he ended up doing acoustic duet with guitar player. Then on last verse he got the bass guy to come in and just riff on it also.

40ffc6029dbdbca03553b1f389a882fc.jpg
3rd row. Good for old fuck like me.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:57 AM, gofuckyourself said:

Slight digression but interesting article about Stone City for the San Antonio olds who remember non-stop Dio and Scorpions concerts.

https://www.expressnews.com/entertainment/article/jack-orbin-stone-city-productions-18601172.php

Don’t forget UFO, Legs Diamond, Triumph, Budgie and Moxy. I haven’t thought about Stone City in years. My older brothers had so many bootleg cassettes they passed down to me from this time. Thanks for the reminder of some great memories.