Bourdain on the Red-Blue Divide

MaybeACoordinator

56 minutes ago, Bill Clinton said:

I think you should calm down and realize politics has become a game, and the name of the game is internet troll culture wars. The click bait articles, the loose and fast truth, the overwhelming amount of information on the internet. It all adds up, fortunately it all adds up to zero. It's ideas perpetuating though the internet to people who consume it, people who sweep the floor at fucking mcdonalds and will never do anything with their life.

It's entertainment for the mob. Left vs. Right, who is going to win this heated battle of empty promises. Watch on the next episode of American Politics (tm). It's fake. If you haven't noticed that, you are still under the spell. You still believe pro wrasslin is real too, can't wait for your favorite good guy to body slam the hated bad guy huh?

Not trying to be a nihilist, but it's pretty obvious that the money and wars aren't going to change based on what color the "controlling" party is. The alphabets do what they do, the puppets in politics do what they do, none of it has anything to do with what is said on tv or in the news.

Edit: Listen to this.

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/common-sense-318-for-whom-the-bell-trolls/

Politics has always been a game to the people who are the most insulated from its effects. It's not a game to those who get ground under its boot.

You are a completely different person on this forum. I enjoy your posts (for the most part , ha!) on all of the other forums but this one has created some sort of disease that you can't turn off. (By the way not just you but a lot of people on the Politics forum)
I am not kidding you really should do what Tony did and go out and meet a shit ton of new people, no preconceived notion or judgments, go have a beer shoot the shit, ask people how their day was, etc. Learn, grow, accept. 
Because this forum isn't healthy for anyone who lives here and dishes out and reads all the hate that is here.
Good luck.  

Damn. Preach.

I was talking with a Trump supporter who is wavering but still trying to stay committed with the help of her friends/family.    She is upset at the Philly Eagles and supports Trump on the Anthem issue and disrespecting the troops.  I told her it was a troop, who came up with the idea and furthermore none of the Eagles took a knee.  Still she just doesn't like what they did.

And the more people she encounters like you who calmly state an opposing position while offering facts to back yourself up, the better chance that she will start to rethink her position over time and, if not completely agree with it, at least understand it.

Or you could just scream and call her a racist trumpkin redneck white trash piece of shit that shouldn’t vote. That would probably be just as effective.

What’s the weirdest to me is Brisket’s constant justification of what amounts to be a temper tantrum with the intellect and rationale of a college student. It’s okay to be upset and have your feelings hurt with the current situation and then being counter to your values,etc., the feelings are valid, it’s the proclaiming to be one thing then justifying why you are something so much less. It’s the self-denial that he is a purse chihuahua as one user astutely nailed it. And 9 out of 10 are telling brisket he’s lost his grip and devolved into a child, but he’s adamant that everyone else is wrong and has the problem. Lol teenagers, dude.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

I'm a fan of angry Brisket. Better his wild fury than the legion of simpering, prevaricating "both sides!" morons everywhere.

No, "angry" brisket loses respect, and serious consideration of his point.  And it is a both sides issue, both sides simply come at their point thru different lenses.

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm a fan of angry Brisket. Better his wild fury than the legion of simpering, prevaricating "both sides!" morons everywhere.

I can see why you'd say this, and I'd agree with you too if I shared your radical ideas/ideals. The problem is that Brisket doesn't share those and has not just been drawn off sides by the hard count, but he's off-sides, trying to hit players who aren't trying, and trying to justify why he shouldn't be given a penalty while thrusting his pelvis into his football helmet yelling "see? see? #metoo"

And when I say you have radical ideas/ideals I don't even mean that disparagingly, but as the academic definition; changing the rules and the entire foundation of the game so that it looks like something completely different than what we've ever seen or known which would cause a ton of pain for the status quo and result in a lot gnashing of teeth and wailing. Which coincidentally is what angry brisket does now for some reason.

Edited by Guest

(I erased this once, but I'm retyping it.  Brisket, let me know if this is out of line. I don't want to seem to dismiss your objections as merely hurt feelings, as certainly there are rational, factual bases for them. )

I do disagree with Brisket on the doom and gloom of the situation, but...I'm not a Mexican American.  I haven't just watched a majority of the voting public (or close enough for the electoral college) decide that it's okay continually attack and scapegoat people with whom I share a heritage.  I can be disgusted with Trump, and still not have the visceral reaction that a Mexican-American, or a Muslim, or a woman might have to him, and, by extension, to the voting public who decided this fuckhead was a good idea.  I can recognize it's a betrayal of who we are as a country (or what I hope we are as a country), without feeling personally betrayed.    

So, I'm going to disagree with Brisket.  I'm not going tell him to settle down. He's got cause.

And, specific to this thread, the idea that we should just avoid calling racists racist, for fear of upsetting them is an unacceptable way to court their vote. You want eat squirrel stew, give me a spoon and I'll try some.  You want to make n----- jokes, or blame Mexicans for why you can't get ahead in life, I'm going to call you a fucking racist.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Wait, Brisket is a person of color? 

He's Mexican American.  I don't know his color.  I'm not Mexican or Muslim but if I was, I can imagine I'd be even more pissed than I am now at the Dotard and his administration plus the complicit R's in Congress. 

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He's Mexican American.  I don't know his color.  I'm not Mexican or Muslim but if I was, I can imagine I'd be even more pissed than I am now at the Dotard and his administration plus the complicit R's in Congress. 

I see. Undoubtedly that informs his responses as it is fear-driven and there is a rational reason to fear. 

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I see. Undoubtedly that informs his responses as it is fear-driven and there is a rational reason to fear. 

No, man, I'm not talking fear.  I'm talking something worse: disillusionment.  Fear you can do something about.  When I watch my neighbors and coworkers, many of who are good, intelligent people, decide that voting for Trump is a viable option, that's not fear.  

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

No, man, I'm not talking fear.  I'm talking something worse: disillusionment.  Fear you can do something about.  When I watch my neighbors and coworkers, many of who are good, intelligent people, decide that voting for Trump is a viable option, that's not fear.  

I was about to reply exactly this.  Fear is clearly the wrong word.  

9 minutes ago, Tuco said:

And they watched you decide that voting for Hillary Clinton was a viable option. Just imagine what they thought 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tuco said:

the divide matters more than the person, the policy, or the topic. trump is just himself and he could be jeff fischer for fuck sake and half the country would vote for him. its a civil war that the internet made a real fucking problem.  people will follow what the divide tells them to do and you will try to rationalize it with lots of words. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

And they watched you decide that voting for Hillary Clinton was a viable option. Just imagine what they thought 

In hindsite you’d be a moron to think Hillary could be worse.  Please tell me you’re not holding onto that.  

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

In hindsite you’d be a moron to think Hillary could be worse.  Please tell me you’re not holding onto that.  

Hindsight?  He’s asking how people could have thought trump was a viable option. The Dems put up literally the only person who could have lost to him. When those are your choices, that’s how people could think that. I chose neither. If the dems are dumb enough to nominate her again I’ll choose neither again. If he’s in the race, I’ll vote for anyone not named Clinton the dems nominate. 

Fuck you. Clinton certainly has her faults, but she didn’t demonize ethnicities or religions. Idiots like you who want draw those equivalencies are exactly whom I’m talking about. Before you roll into the white man Christian martyrdom, let me just say fuck that too.

6 minutes ago, Tuco said:
Fuck you. Clinton certainly has her faults, but she didn’t demonize ethnicities or religions. Idiots like you who want draw those equivalencies are exactly whom I’m talking about. Before you roll into the white man Christian martyrdom, let me just say fuck that too.

Draw equivalencies? Lol one of those two was going to be president after the 2016 election. If you don’t want to lose to someone like trump don’t nominate someone with a 2/3 disapproval rating. And if you do make sure she campaigns where she needs votes 

Not sure where you’re going with the white man Christian martyrdom. I’ve already said over and over on this site and the last one I can’t stand trump.  Brisket rubbing off on you?

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

That’s some sound reasoning with a well-explained foundation.  Can’t argue with that. 

Yes we have a President talking about what a great guy this dictator is.  A guy who kills anyone who opposes him with flame throwers etc.  

Oh, and he does that while fucking up relationships with all our allies   His daughter makes 10’s of millions bc he throws favors to China. 

Trump could nuke California and you bums will cry about how Hillary would nuke half the country.  

You’re brainwashed and hopeless.  And I’ve voted R all my life.  But apparently I can think critically unlike Trumptards.  It’s probably why I’ve made my millions working my ass off while Daddy gave you a nice trust fund.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Hindsight?  He’s asking how people could have thought trump was a viable option. The Dems put up literally the only person who could have lost to him. When those are your choices, that’s how people could think that. I chose neither. If the dems are dumb enough to nominate her again I’ll choose neither again. If he’s in the race, I’ll vote for anyone not named Clinton the dems nominate. 

Yep, hindsight.  And I made my comment in a vacuum.  I also thought Hillary was fucking terrible and voted for neither.  But I'll admit I didn't think Trump could be this fucking bad. 

4 minutes ago, Loco said:

well Trump's roi is < S&P 500 index returns.   He was born on third base and ended up with a double.   Fucking moron.

Well he loves people that were born on third base.  He can't help but to complement FatBoy Kim as well.  Seems a lot of people born on third base love them some Trump.  

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Well he loves people that were born on third base.  He can't help but to complement FatBoy Kim as well.  Seems a lot of people born on third base love them some Trump.  

Actually the true believers are poor as fuck and dumb as a stump and believe he will make it all better.  Yes they are even stupider than Trump.

1 minute ago, Loco said:

Actually the true believers are poor as fuck and dumb as a stump and believe he will make it all better.  Yes they are even stupider than Trump.

That's a given.  Lately I've been surprised how many very well to do will actually try to convince you (more likely themselves) Trump is great because their bank account keeps growing - a whole other discussion of how much Trump even has to do with that - but they're convinced and happy to smile and go for the ride.  

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

That's a given.  Lately I've been surprised how many very well to do will actually try to convince you (more likely themselves) Trump is great because their bank account keeps growing - a whole other discussion of how much Trump even has to do with that - but they're convinced and happy to smile and go for the ride.  

Yeah, but it's also something else.  Those bank accounts grew nicely under Obama.  At the time, I was told Obama had nothing to do with it.

19 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Yes we have a President talking about what a great guy this dictator is.  A guy who kills anyone who opposes him with flame throwers etc.  
Oh, and he does that while fucking up relationships with all our allies   His daughter makes 10’s of millions bc he throws favors to China. 
Trump could nuke California and you bums will cry about how Hillary would nuke half the country.  
You’re brainwashed and hopeless.  And I’ve voted R all my life.  But apparently I can think critically unlike Trumptards.  It’s probably why I’ve made my millions working my ass off while Daddy gave you a nice trust fund.  

Look, I don’t care what your politics are and you’ve always seemed like a pretty good poster in other forums, but nobody gives a fuck about your millions and your Maybach. Really.

Edited by Hate
I misspelled "your" and can't believe I didn't get called on it. Surly is slipping

15 hours ago, Tuco said:

It's called angst.

13 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

[cough]Johnny Sack[/cough]

13 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep, hindsight.  And I made my comment in a vacuum.  I also thought Hillary was fucking terrible and voted for neither.  But I'll admit I didn't think Trump could be this fucking bad. 

I'm in the same boat. That said to this day I still "understand" why people would vote for Trump. I don't agree with them obviously but that doesn't make them ALL a racist, redneck, Trumpkin, misogynist, idiot, moron, etc. 

29 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I'm in the same boat. That said to this day I still "understand" why people would vote for Trump. I don't agree with them obviously but that doesn't make them ALL a racist, redneck, Trumpkin, misogynist, idiot, moron, etc. 

Bullshit. Total Bullshit. I'm middle-aged, I have had a job for 20 years straight and I married a deacon who went back and got her deacon degree when she was 50, so trust me when I say I know your mind and your heart better than you do and I call absolute bullshit on this post.

They are ALL racists. Full stop. Period. Exclamation Mark. Quoted for the DAMN truth. The End. Omega. Zed. Game f'ing Over. Nothing more to see here folks. Dynamite Boom.

Redneck, Trumpkin, Idiot; all are the CANCER on the GANGRENOUS appendage of what USED TO BE the greatest state and damn country EVER when my parents spun halycon stories of THEIR parents and TRUMP IS METASTASIZING INSIDE OUR BODIES and communities and Brains and with automation and AI we are a HIVE MIND being infected by people who don't understand how to READ and use LOGIC and FACTS and I'm sorry if I sound and talk a little bit about Alex Jones, but I am not him. I do, however, applaud his BURN IT TO THE GROUND mentality because that is me folks.

Gotta give them what they want and just give up and no hope and I'm eaten up with fear but dammit, I'm also right and smart and you idiots don't know what you are talking about and everyone. EVERYONE. who tells me otherwise is wrong. 9 out of 10 doctors can't agree on one thing, so the 9 out of 10 telling me I'm wrong just CAN'T SEE THE TRUTH! I HAVE X-RAY VISION AND SEE THE SYMPTOMS OF DISEASE AND CANCER AND MY BRAIN IS LIKE AN MRI MACHINE AND YOU PEOPLE ARE LEECHES SUCKING BLOOD AND NOT BEING KIND AND CARRYING WATER FOR EVIL AND HATE AND WE ARE GONNA TAKE DELAWARE AND SOUTH DAKOTA AND MICHIGAN AND TEXAS AND MEXICO AND TAKE BACK THE WHITEHOUSE YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhuh. 

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Bullshit. Total Bullshit. I'm middle-aged, I have had a job for 20 years straight and I married a deacon who went back and got her deacon degree when she was 50, so trust me when I say I know your mind and your heart better than you do and I call absolute bullshit on this post.

They are ALL racists. Full stop. Period. Exclamation Mark. Quoted for the DAMN truth. The End. Omega. Zed. Game f'ing Over. Nothing more to see here folks. Dynamite Boom.

Redneck, Trumpkin, Idiot; all are the CANCER on the GANGRENOUS appendage of what USED TO BE the greatest state and damn country EVER when my parents spun halycon stories of THEIR parents and TRUMP IS METASTASIZING INSIDE OUR BODIES and communities and Brains and with automation and AI we are a HIVE MIND being infected by people who don't understand how to READ and use LOGIC and FACTS and I'm sorry if I sound and talk a little bit about Alex Jones, but I am not him. I do, however, applaud his BURN IT TO THE GROUND mentality because that is me folks.

Gotta give them what they want and just give up and no hope and I'm eaten up with fear but dammit, I'm also right and smart and you idiots don't know what you are talking about and everyone. EVERYONE. who tells me otherwise is wrong. 9 out of 10 doctors can't agree on one thing, so the 9 out of 10 telling me I'm wrong just CAN'T SEE THE TRUTH! I HAVE X-RAY VISION AND SEE THE SYMPTOMS OF DISEASE AND CANCER AND MY BRAIN IS LIKE AN MRI MACHINE AND YOU PEOPLE ARE LEECHES SUCKING BLOOD AND NOT BEING KIND AND CARRYING WATER FOR EVIL AND HATE AND WE ARE GONNA TAKE DELAWARE AND SOUTH DAKOTA AND MICHIGAN AND TEXAS AND MEXICO AND TAKE BACK THE WHITEHOUSE YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhuh. 

Edited by Mapache
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Damn, I need a hug..... or some bourbon.

Bourbon, dude.  Bourbon.  Or scotch.  I'm down with all the brown liquors.  I've got plenty of chairs.

If we drink enough of it together, I'd probably even give you a hug, and tell you how awesome you really are, or something like that.  I'm not a mean drunk.

• Like 2