USMNT 2023

ztejas

What bottles the mind is that at his age, he isn’t going to the next World Cup. So he’s basically there for one thing: winning this tournament. Given the chance to score a goal, he flubs it.

That just tells me he isn’t doing what he was brought in for. So he’s wasting a roster spot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I would be fucking amazed if Cowell is ever a better player than healthy and in-form CP. Regardless of situation. He has about a third of the technical ability as it stands (and markedly less pace with the ball) and will almost assuredly never close that gap. 

I think he can be a really nice player for us but we're a ways away from him being on the 2 deep let alone starting for our A team.

Cowell is 19. Pulisic is 24. Theres not gonna be that much overlap between the two potentially. Puli has 5 years experience on Cowell, and while we did see flashes of the American GOAT when Puli was 19, we now know that Puli was already maxing out near his ceiling. Yeah, he's been able to maintain that level (i guess, nationally, at least), but what we do know is Cowell has not even remotely approached maxing out. This is a young, moldable player who isn't technical in the least, but quick, strong, and shoots like a grown ass man. I'm eager to see what Cowell looks like at 24. He could potentially be an A-teamer with his current trajectory. He needs a move to Eredivisie 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Aaronson official to Union Berlin.
Puli tells Lyon to fuck off: (ETA Lyon would pay the higher transfer fee but salary for Puli would be more at Milan)

Aaronson from relegation to the Champions League. Germany will be a better fit for him for now, but curious as to his minutes for Union.

16 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Also Ligue 1 has dropped to the 7th league in Europe, 1 below Holland where Serie A currently ranks 2nd.

How does UEFA calculate that? I know the bottom of Ligue 1 is terrible but I have a hard time believing Belgium is a better league (I mean - it isn't).

(So it looks like that is just the point tallies from last season - the typical ranking is a 5 year rolling coefficient)

I generally use this list as it's always seemed fairly accurate - I think they borrow the data from 538. 

https://www.globalfootballrankings.com/

Here's the actual UEFA list - not sure if this is updated yet to reflect last season but I'm assuming it is (it is).

Screenshot_20230703_110711_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7ff42fa444cf53e19b388fb56f89051f.jpg

I will say - France is a ways behind Serie A and virtually at the same tally as the Eredivise and Portugal with another big gap separating Portugal and Belgium.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Puli tells Lyon to fuck off: (ETA Lyon would pay the higher transfer fee but salary for Puli would be more at Milan)

Chelsea will not be selling him to AC Milan for 15mil. Unlike Inter, AC Milan actually has the money to spend.

Interesting piece with Lyon is that they are now owned by an American with a decent amount of youth talent. Would be an interesting project for him to hop over to. He also owns 40% of Palace.

Edited by MoJames

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

How does UEFA calculate that? I know the bottom of Ligue 1 is terrible but I have a hard time believing Belgium is a better league (I mean - it isn't).

(So it looks like that is just the point tallies from last season - the typical ranking is a 5 year rolling coefficient)

I generally use this list as it's always seemed fairly accurate - I think they borrow the data from 538. 

Here's the actual UEFA list - not sure if this is updated yet to reflect last season but I'm assuming it is (it is).

Screenshot_20230703_110711_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7ff42fa444cf53e19b388fb56f89051f.jpg

I will say - France is a ways behind Serie A and virtually at the same tally as the Eredivise and Portugal with another big gap separating Portugal and Belgium.

https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

i spent way too much time looking into results. those idiots were looking for an opportunity to dunk on France evidently?

image.png.c56a1ff2f8570371b490e627a067f818.png

22-23 rankings:

image.png.46b3e4df5a1e807c4ddfa1cd33eb97e8.png

here is the 5 year totals, which still have France as #5 by a large margin, but they could be at risk in the next 2 years if Netherlands jumps up, they had a wild 20/21 vs 21/22 and Netherlands is RIGHT behind them. look at the huge gap between #4 Italy and #5 France

image.thumb.png.3c65ea9b944e66dcc22497568f34e451.png

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Aaronson from relegation to the Champions League. Germany will be a better fit for him for now, but curious as to his minutes for Union.

The reality is that going from Austria to EPL was too big of a leap for him (I don't think people realize how bad that league is - it's worse than the EFL Championship and arguably worse than MLS).

He should have gone to Germany last year instead of Leeds. IMHO this is a better move than going to another EPL team.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, NoName said:

https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/

i spent way too much time looking into results. those idiots were looking for an opportunity to dunk on France evidently?

image.png.c56a1ff2f8570371b490e627a067f818.png

22-23 rankings:

image.png.46b3e4df5a1e807c4ddfa1cd33eb97e8.png

here is the 5 year totals, which still have France as #5 by a large margin, but they could be at risk in the next 2 years if Netherlands jumps up, they had a wild 20/21 vs 21/22 and Netherlands is RIGHT behind them. look at the huge gap between #4 Italy and #5 France

image.thumb.png.3c65ea9b944e66dcc22497568f34e451.png

Yeah - it was a super click-baity post.

• Hook 'Em 1

When he's healthy and in-form (which, granted, has been rare the past few years) he's a fucking world class left wing. Why does everyone overthink this. Managers' obsession with playing him out of position is baffling. From Tuchel to Berhalter to this guy. 

He is so. Fucking. Good. On the left. Can he drift inside and do some sneaky 9 and 10 stuff in front of goal? Absolutely. THAT'S PART OF WHAT MAKES HIM A GREAT LW.

For every RB that is confident about staying in front of him for 90 mins I can find you 10 CBs that would like their chances shutting him down in the middle. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This sounds like a disaster. 

I largely agree but maybe this guy is smarter than us. Most of his other positional escapades at club level so far have been at RW, false 9 and wingback. 

Even if he is good at the 10, though, I just don't get it. Play him at the fucking 11. It isn't difficult. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

When he's healthy and in-form (which, granted, has been rare the past few years) he's a fucking world class left wing. Why does everyone overthink this. Managers' obsession with playing him out of position is baffling. From Tuchel to Berhalter to this guy. 

He is so. Fucking. Good. On the left. Can he drift inside and do some sneaky 9 and 10 stuff in front of goal? Absolutely. THAT'S PART OF WHAT MAKES HIM A GREAT LW.

For every RB that is confident about staying in front of him for 90 mins I can find you 10 CBs that would like their chances shutting him down in the middle. 

image.thumb.png.44a9b318b75445ce593a3561b742de45.png

No way he's starting in front of Leao.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

That guy hasn't dropped any new videos in ages, but everything he did was hilarious. He's also responsible for the Berhalter-behind-the-back and the CONCACAF-shithousing vids.

I think that he drops them to the Patreon group or the Discord. 

His videos are nearly 100% copyright infringements, so my guess is that the hammer came down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I've never rated Yueill but he can't play any worse than Sonora did. 

Right?

They don’t even play the same position. 

Yueill (sp?) is a replacement for Aidan Morris taking a walkabout. But because A. Morris may come back, he is listed as “Left the team” rather than “Muscle Tightness” or some made up injury. 

Ferreira, Busio, Mihailovic… Roldan (😆) can all cover for Soñora, but Sands is pretty much the only #6 on the roster with A. Morris gone.

That said, does Keaton Parks only play an #8? Or does he occasionally play a #6? The guys on The Scuffed Podcast like Keaton Parks as well. If Tanner Tessmann isn’t going to be called in due to marriage commitments (idiot for getting married at this age), then I’d like to see Parks.  

Edited by Napoleon

I hope Pulisic doesn't have the nagging injury issues he had at Chelsea, and I think got on the wrong side of things emotionally with the coach.  So hopefully Milan is a fresh start for him.  What Pulisic needs more than anything on the pitch is space.  He's not a thick guy so he is undersized against even back line player he faces.  He's also quicker than most he faces, and that's his advantage, but he only has it in space to use that speed.  When you are dinged in the least, that size disadvantage and potential to additionally tweak an injury when trying to use the speed advantage are exacerbated IMHO.  

I could actually see Pulisic playing as an high attacking mid on the left.  Depending on who is playing in front of him.  There his speed might allow him to close the gap very quickly moving towards the goal disrupting the defenders.  But he needs a little space to do this.  If he is in that gap attacking then a defender will be forced to engage him, releasing from his marked player.  Pulisic is pretty darn good about being unselfish, and his gap closing speed is probably more valuable to the players he would pass to, rather than him specifically being the danger.  If they don't come out he gets off a shot.  I wish he was a bit thicker, but then he might lose some of that speed. And a lot of folks wished Messi were taller, you get what you get.

Mainly I want hime to get more minutes on the field.  And if I am him, I don't give a shit where you play me, if I am standing on the pitch on game day.

Edited by horn4life

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

They don’t even play the same position. 

Looks like Yueill has played a lot of RM for San Jose lately. It might be a minutes by committee type deal with 270 that we need to fill.

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

If Tanner Tessmann isn’t going to be called in due to marriage commitments (idiot for getting married at this age), then I’d like to see Parks.  

I don't care what age he gets married at. Dude has one cap at the senior level and chose to be unavailable for one of the windows he could have potentially gotten called up for. That isn't someone who is serious about playing for country. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I hope Pulisic doesn't have the nagging injury issues he had at Chelsea, and I think got on the wrong side of things emotionally with the coach.  So hopefully Milan is a fresh start for him.  What Pulisic needs…

Which “coach” are you talking about?

Christian signed with the first manager on the list in January of 2019, but never played for him. He then played (usually sparingly) under all of the rest of the managers on this list.

IMG_4415.thumb.jpeg.e2fab03dcb1f7cc4aef054944d028ea7.jpeg

It wasn’t like one manager didn’t think much of him.

For the most part, all of these guys didn’t think much of him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chelsea_F.C._managers

NOTE: Bruno Saltor was an interim manager for only 5 days.

I don't really understand soccer transfers and contracts. Regarding Pulisic, so does every professional player have a defacto no-trade/no-transfer clause? He can just say, "I'm not going to agree to a new deal with Lyon" and prevent the transfer from happening?

I don't see why any player getting 1st team minutes would ever agree to a transfer if that's the case. Just play out your deal and then sign with the highest bidder, like free agents do in American sports.

Pulisic was excellent in the Covid period until his hamstring issues. Since then he hasn’t been as good or fast except for some games when Chelsea won the champions league. 
He seems to be getting a little bit smarter in his play at least internationally. Hope that Carrie’s over for his new team. If not then I can see a Carrie breakdown. (Might as well how with the auto correct change). 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It wasn’t like one manager didn’t think much of him.

For the most part, all of these guys didn’t think much of him.

IIRC he started a lot before the injuries.

I think his injury history played a role in his lack of playing time and lack of starts as much as his performance - especially considering that Chelsea was going to move him. 

4 minutes ago, The Dog said:

IIRC he started a lot before the injuries.

I think his injury history played a role in his lack of playing time and lack of starts as much as his performance - especially considering that Chelsea was going to move him. 

After starting in the bench, Lampard started putting him into the starting lineup. 

If Lampard’s teams had been playing well, he would t have been fired. 

No other manager played Pulisic as much… and they were all fired as well. 

• Hook 'Em 1