Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

The Reddit blackout means no longer able to access the F1 sub. It was pretty good and one of two subreddits I visited. The other was r/Austin, which was objectively bad but was addicted to watching the trainwreck.

Just now, FirstTimeCaller said:

The Reddit blackout means no longer able to access the F1 sub. It was pretty good and one of two subreddits I visited. The other was r/Austin, which was objectively bad but was addicted to watching the trainwreck.

I think it’s supposed to be back up on t Thursday so we shouldn’t miss much Canada GP content at least. 

11 minutes ago, wood said:

This fuckin guy ...

Domenicali on F1 expansion: ‘10 teams are more than enough’ https://racer.com/2023/06/14/domenicali-on-f1-expansion-10-teams-are-more-than-enough/ 

I want more teams, but is this not correct given how lopsided things are?

People complain about bad football or baseball because there are too many teams. You're telling me we "need" another HAAS or Alpha Tauri tooling around the track? 

26 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I want more teams, but is this not correct given how lopsided things are?

People complain about bad football or baseball because there are too many teams. You're telling me we "need" another HAAS or Alpha Tauri tooling around the track? 

No. We need an Andretti or someone of similar credentials to start building up their program. Just so happens we have one or more of those trying to get into F1 at the moment.

Stefano says 10 is MORE than enough. So how many is enough in his mind? 6? 7? 5? Apparently, according to him, as long as there are two drivers or teams fighting for the championships, then any number of teams is 'enough'. I guess he'd be happy with one or two teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Heading to Montreal today. Pit Lane walk tomorrow. Kid is ready to go.

959d6db129aa5945852192cc68b9cb6b.jpg

That kid is way too young to appreciate an airport lounge.  Throw him outside with the riff raff.  And I went to Red Rocks last night, BTW.  It's still cool.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wood said:

No. We need an Andretti or someone of similar credentials to start building up their program. Just so happens we have one or more of those trying to get into F1 at the moment.

Stefano says 10 is MORE than enough. So how many is enough in his mind? 6? 7? 5? Apparently, according to him, as long as there are two drivers or teams fighting for the championships, then any number of teams is 'enough'. I guess he'd be happy with one or two teams.

6 or 7 teams running three competitive cars each would be fine with me.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

6 or 7 teams running three competitive cars each would be fine with me.

Yeah but 3 cars is a whole 'nother discussion, and many/most if not all of the teams don't want to do it. For most of 'em, it's all they can do to field two marginally competitive cars.

Stefano saying 10 is more than enough is beyond ridiculous. It wasn't that long ago that Haas was allowed concessions just to get them to enter - just so the grid could get back to 10 teams.

Edited by wood

The only way 6 or 7 teams would be "enough" would be if every team was a factory team from a different manufacturer. That could be somewhat interesting.

But if it's three manufacturers plus customer teams, no way would 6 teams be sufficient.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Looks like a rainy weekend in store.  Which teams/drivers might this favor?  

Lewis, Max, and Fernando are the undisputed rain masters. Lando is also extremely good in the wet, at least in qualifying and Russia decision to stay out notwithstanding. 

• Hook 'Em 2

IMHO it could benefit RBR and AM the most, but with rain, you never really know, esp a drying track.

Re: Stefano, I just remembered ... Haas was given special conditions of entry, to keep the grid at eleven teams, not ten. So I guess even ten teams wasn't enough. But now 10 is 'more than enough'. OK Stef.

Fighting now for a few million a year per team is short-sighted thinking, as team value irrespective of revenue will likely increase, and adding a team like Andretti will help F1 in the American market which has so much potential for F1.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Pit Lane walk is a beating. Two hour line… and we were not that far back. If you go - buy extra water once inside.

That said - saw Lewis in his garage. Couldn’t get a pic because crowd surged. Saw Zhou and Sargent on their track walk. I got to tell Albon good luck and he said thanks.

I’ll post more pics after I get home and get them off my camera card.

bc9087509f76aa5fb8430a4ccb2ce68e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Pit Lane walk is a beating. Two hour line… and we were not that far back. If you go - buy extra water once inside.

That said - saw Lewis in his garage. Couldn’t get a pic because crowd surged. Saw Zhou and Sargent on their track walk. I got to tell Albon good luck and he said thanks.

I’ll post more pics after I get home and get them off my camera card.

bc9087509f76aa5fb8430a4ccb2ce68e.jpg
Agreed on the pit walk. Was fun once but I probably wouldn't do it again.

3 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Pit Lane walk is a beating. Two hour line...

What time of day did you go? Early? Just wondering because it's been easy & chill, not too crowded every time I've gone. Didn't they reduce the hours this year or something?

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Agreed on the pit walk. Was fun once but I probably wouldn't do it again.

Yeah I don't waste my time with it at COTA anymore. You only get an hour scheduled and then they herd you out 15 minutes early & yell at people like they're  trespassing.

Edited by wood

What time of day did you go? Early? Just wondering because it's been easy & chill, not too crowded every time I've gone. Didn't they reduce the hours this year or something?

It opened at 9. Pit walk was from 9-12. They sold tickets. It took an hour and a half to get to pit lane. It was packed. The easy and chill days are gone.
That said - it was still cool - I just won’t do it again.

Just now, Goofyboy said:

It opened at 9. Pit walk was from 9-12. They sold tickets. It took an hour and a half to get to pit lane. It was packed. The easy and chill days are gone.

How far back was the line?  Last year at 9 the line was all the way across the big bridge - started just at the foot of the temp bridge that goes over that road close to the entrance.

7 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Yeah, those are pretty fundamental changes. Used to be open to anyone, ticket or not, and it was from like 9 to 4 or something like that.

Edited by wood

How far back was the line?  Last year at 9 the line was all the way across the big bridge - started just at the foot of the temp bridge that goes over that road close to the entrance.

They lined us up at the gate near the train station. Line went way back and made a few bends. Then they opened and the long walk started. We stopped again on the back walk way. Took an hour from that spot.

9-4 with tickets would have been great. Spread out the crowd.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

They lined us up at the gate near the train station. Line went way back and made a few bends. Then they opened and the long walk started. We stopped again on the back walk way. Took an hour from that spot.

9-4 with tickets would have been great. Spread out the crowd.

Actually, now that I think about it they did the same last year, but we were moving the whole time.  Line stopped dead when we crossed the temp bridge.  And it rained on us, too.

25 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Why? 

Everyone has to use the same tires. You will have to adjust your out lap. It has a chance to add some variability and skill to the race. 3rd or 4th interview I’ve seen making the same point. 

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

Most, if not all drivers feel this way.

Seen Hamilton complain, who else?

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I don't remember how long it was open in 2015, but I do remember taking the hairpin in a school bus. 10/10 would go again. 

If I had to bet, I'd say FOM is behind these Montreal grid walk changes. They don't like the lack of exclusivity Montreal was exhibiting.

Edited by wood

15 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I do agree with the driver concern of immidiate implementation and think the compromise pirelli and the teams agreed to was fair. 

https://racer.com/2022/11/04/pirelli-finds-tire-blanket-compromise-after-driver-concerns/

But i would like to see more driver’s aids removed and more driver skill promoted. 

BTW apparently Bridgestone might make a bid to replace Pirelli.

26 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Everyone has to use the same tires. You will have to adjust your out lap. It has a chance to add some variability and skill to the race. 3rd or 4th interview I’ve seen making the same point. 

Seen Hamilton complain, who else?

Russell is the GPDA director so he speaks for all the drivers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Do the natures of those cars allow for more instant energy to go into the tires? I have to think the operating windows are much larger in the lower formulae. 

No. The tyres are super tricky in F2, and drivers struggle with tires more in F2 than F1.  The F2 cars are slower and create less downforce, so F1 cars can put energy into their tires quicker. 

• Hook 'Em 2

BTW, anyone seen the AM upgrades? Wow.

51 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

It’s drying out for FP1. Saw a couple of Ferraris spin during their FP2. Family section is nice.

21deace37d93d155b48e4564bc80ceb0.jpg

That's where we sat last time. Fantastic deal on those tickets.