Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

My favorite track on the calendar. Can't wait for Austria. I want to visit Monaco due to the history, but if there was one track I'd most like to visit, it's Red Bull Ring. Just unbelievably stunning on TV. I'd say it just barely beats out COTA for natural beauty.

"part of an investment group"
If you read about the rest of the group it doesn't seem like Ryan and Rob are doing the heavy lifting here. 
Reynolds has roughly 300 million from the Mint Mobile sale burning a hole in his pocket, apparently.

4 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

My favorite track on the calendar. Can't wait for Austria. I want to visit Monaco due to the history, but if there was one track I'd most like to visit, it's Red Bull Ring. Just unbelievably stunning on TV. I'd say it just barely beats out COTA for natural beauty.

Yeah just barely! 

(Sarcasm, right? Gotta ask, 'cause who knows)

OBTW, apparently Vegas needs 600 marshal volunteers. Here's the info link in case any of you are interested in that kind of thing.

https://storage.googleapis.com/enterprise-assets-f1/materials/24/original/LVGP-2023-Marshal-Registration-FAQ-21June2023-final.pdf

Edited by wood

Lawrence Stroll is a very humble man

Aston Martin owner Lawrence Stroll believes he deserves a knighthood for saving thousands of jobs at the British car company and for his investment into the F1 team. 

In January 2020, the Canadian billionaire led a consortium to rescue the then struggling luxury UK carmaker in a deal which also saw Stroll’s Racing Point F1 team rebranded as Aston Martin from 2021. 

Stroll has since invested in a new state-of-the-art factory as well as a wind tunnel to significantly boost the F1 team’s infrastructure at their Silverstone headquarters. 

And the 63-year-old reckons he is deserving of more credit. 

“I should be knighted for what I’ve done,” Stroll is quoted as saying by AutoCar

“I’ve saved thousands of jobs and built a new Formula 1 factory with hundreds of millions of investment.”

Stroll described his total £1.5 billion investment into Aston Martin as “a huge show of my belief in the company… One doesn’t put that money into a business they don’t believe in the future of.”

Since Stroll’s takeover, the average sale price of an Aston Martin has risen from £157,000 to an expected £223,000 in 2023. 

The Aston Martin F1 team currently lies third in the constructors’ world championship after making an impressive start to the 2023 season. 

Stroll has set his team, who his son Lance drives for alongside two-time world champion Fernando Alonso, the target of becoming world champions in the coming years.  

“In my other businesses, I’ve won”, he declared. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 6/26/2023 at 5:47 AM, Hawndoh said:
"part of an investment group"
If you read about the rest of the group it doesn't seem like Ryan and Rob are doing the heavy lifting here. 

Reynolds has roughly 300 million from the Mint Mobile sale burning a hole in his pocket, apparently.

He also got a big chunk of dough from the Aviation Gin sale for $610M. He’s either lucky or good because he got really rich from his non-acting business ventures. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He also got a big chunk of dough from the Aviation Gin sale for $610M. He’s either lucky or good because he got really rich from his non-acting business ventures. 

Not bad for a guy who spent 7 years at Coolidge College and only graduated because his dad cut off his tuition checks.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wood said:

Apparently Lewis thanks the FIA should step in to keep teams from getting a head start in development over the rest of the field.

https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-makes-fia-demand-to-halt-red-bull-dominance

image.png.bb4ef42128d7f394f945fbc2e64fac9a.png

Saw this on Reddit and someone posted his entire comment. With context, it's not unreasonable.

But yes, he certainly wasn't making these sorts of comments when he was dominating.

Ok, so one practice, then qualifying for the race, then tomorrow is qualifying for the sprint and then the sprint, and then the race. And then next week the entire schedule reverts.

Makes total sense.

Just a bullshitty question -- you're starting an F1 with the goal to have the highest point total possible over the next five years and get to pick one current Merc driver.

Would you pick Lewis or Russell?

Saw this on Reddit and someone posted his entire comment. With context, it's not unreasonable.
But yes, he certainly wasn't making these sorts of comments when he was dominating.

Yeah he did acknowledge his dominant car run as well in the entire quote. To be somewhat fair to him, he has always said he wanted closer competition during those years. I am relatively sure Max has even said the same thing at some point already, too. These guys are all super competitive and wanna race each other, they just gotta be diplomatic and politicky sometimes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yeah he did acknowledge his dominant car run as well in the entire quote. To be somewhat fair to him, he has always said he wanted closer competition during those years. I am relatively sure Max has even said the same thing at some point already, too. These guys are all super competitive and wanna race each other, they just gotta be diplomatic and politicky sometimes.

They both got it in 2021. Neither seemed to like it that much, tbh.

On 6/26/2023 at 5:57 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I have a buddy whose father lives within walking distance to the track. Said you can hear the racing from his house. It’s on my list as well.

11 hours ago, wood said:

Apparently Lewis thanks the FIA should step in to keep teams from getting a head start in development over the rest of the field.

https://racingnews365.com/hamilton-makes-fia-demand-to-halt-red-bull-dominance

image.png.bb4ef42128d7f394f945fbc2e64fac9a.png

Didn’t Mercedes start working two years before everyone else on the last major engine, the hybrid?

I will read that link but, at first glance my initial reaction is that Hamilton is showing an incredible lack of awareness.

Didn’t Mercedes start working two years before everyone else on the last major engine, the hybrid?
I will read that link but, at first glance my initial reaction is that Hamilton is showing an incredible lack of awareness.

They did not.

Once the early regulations were mostly rubber stamped in 2010 for the inline 4s, they built a 4 cylinder mule, but then had to dump it (I actually think some of this tech went into the M133/M139 road car engines) when the FIA finalized the change to the V6 hybrid (at mostly Ferrari’s behest) in June 2011, which also pushed the new regs to debut in 2014. Merc then had an early V6 mule running by December 2011.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Just a bullshitty question -- you're starting an F1 with the goal to have the highest point total possible over the next five years and get to pick one current Merc driver.

Would you pick Lewis or Russell?

Lewis

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is Checo even going to make it through the season? 4 races straight he’s missed Q3 in the fastest car. He won 2 races early in the year and now he’s just nowhere. 

image.png.cab6dbd95789c91c59b33b0b3fe6d42e.png

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF BANKER LAPS SHOULD THE DRIVERS GET A BANKER LAP IN BEFORE PUSHING AFTER THE BANKER LAP JUST SO THAT IF ANYTHING HAPPENS LATER ON THEY WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE BANKER LAP?

10 minutes ago, Levi said:

So who will Albon be driving for next year? 

Williams. Albon’s doing a good job, but he’s also being flattered by being teamed with 2 of the slowest drivers on the grid in recent memory. If Albon scored a point at Monza last year people would’ve praised him, but De Vries getting all this credit for scoring points in a Williams and now showing he doesn’t deserve to be in F1 is a better reference point for the car than comparing Albon to his teammates. 

Plus the top 5 teams and McLaren don’t have any openings, so there’s really nowhere better for him to go. Williams is on an uptrend and being the #1 at Williams is his best spot right now.  

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Williams. Albon’s doing a good job, but he’s also being flattered by being teamed with 2 of the slowest drivers on the grid in recent memory. If Albon scored a point at Monza last year people would’ve praised him, but De Vries getting all this credit for scoring points in a Williams and now showing he doesn’t deserve to be in F1 is a better reference point for the car than comparing Albon to his teammates. 

Plus the top 5 teams and McLaren don’t have any openings, so there’s really nowhere better for him to go. Williams is on an uptrend and being the #1 at Williams is his best spot right now.  

Yeah, you’re right. I like seeing him do good and hopefully he keeps it up. 

27 minutes ago, Levi said:

Yeah, you’re right. I like seeing him do good and hopefully he keeps it up. 

Same. He got a raw deal at RB. Williams is giving him the support he deserves and a car that can score points on tracks that suit it. I think Williams will also continue to improve, which will be great for Albon. 

• Like 1

idk how they can keep him at this rate. missing track limits three times (!!!) to miss Q3?

in THIS car?

v8bj04iis69b1.jpg

“He’s got a car that was easily capable of being on the first or second row, he was matching Max’s times; stay in the white lines,” stressed Horner, speaking to Sky Sports F1.

“It was strike one; strike two – ‘Checo, just stay in the white lines’; strike three, and that was it.

“It’s hugely frustrating because he could have been there, he could have done it. So that’s the frustration. It’s fantastic to have got the pole, but it feels… not complete.”

Checo:

On the way [during the session] we were a bit confused, but then once I got the feedback that it was on the way into turn 10, it was all clear,” Perez said.

“I was on a good lap, but then all of the sudden on my final lap, I found Albon and I just went straight. I could not stop. I think I lost a tenth or a bit more than that just by going straight, but the stewards wouldn’t consider that I was blocked.”

Perez said he feels that the FIA system should take into account when drivers catch traffic for whether they have their times deleted for exceeding track limits.

“There’s so many things I can control and unfortunately, this one, you’re closing a good lap and then all of the sudden you are blocked and you have a penalty,” he said. “I think the system is wrong.”

The stewards did not investigate any impeding by Albon

Max is a very good qualifier, but christ, 7-2?!

qr1aepayj69b1.png

topping it off, he's 5-4 in quali vs Albon?! Hulk is up 5-4 on Perez in quali?

to not make it into Q3 5/9 times this year is mind blowing.

While Max is off winning the constuctors title for Red Bull all by himself, I am enjoying the midfield battles and seeing Fernando shine in the Aston. Damn I'd kill to see Fernando or Lewis in that second Red Bull though, someone to actually push Max.

Even during the Merc dominance Rosberg could obviously challenge Lewis and some weekends Valtteri was untouchable. Sergio has his days, but dude is in a slump for sure.

26 minutes ago, faps said:

While Max is off winning the constuctors title for Red Bull all by himself, I am enjoying the midfield battles and seeing Fernando shine in the Aston. Damn I'd kill to see Fernando or Lewis in that second Red Bull though, someone to actually push Max.

There's always a lot of talk about car versus driver. I think this year shows just how insane Max is as a driver. He's led over 200 laps consecutively and his teammate can't get out of Q3.

It's not just a qualifying thing either. Seems like he gets stuck in traffic just like Bottas used to do at Merc. Lewis or Max are able to just carve their way through the field if it happens to them.

2 minutes ago, Mittens said:

In honor of McLaren’s upgrades, an F1 adjacent post shouting out my nephew completing the Lego Technic F1 car I gave him for Xmas. His father informs me zero help was given and he’s incredibly proud of his accomplishment. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.jpeg.8f36f0642c2f0c14ac8bc38570718323.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.744ef5e215024a8650597ecd304fa57e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.782b4dbd28b61097973a4fae850de479.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.518056d262624bdce41a8e70bf38aabb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7edbd3ef71e307b045bce733e9a952b4.jpeg

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mittens said:

In honor of McLaren’s upgrades, an F1 adjacent post shouting out my nephew completing the Lego Technic F1 car I gave him for Xmas. His father informs me zero help was given and he’s incredibly proud of his accomplishment. 

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.jpeg.8f36f0642c2f0c14ac8bc38570718323.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.744ef5e215024a8650597ecd304fa57e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.782b4dbd28b61097973a4fae850de479.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.518056d262624bdce41a8e70bf38aabb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7edbd3ef71e307b045bce733e9a952b4.jpeg

Full wets on that thing? He has a future in Ferrari strategy.