Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I really do get why they implemented DRS, but I still hate it.

It's just way too powerful at many tracks.  Passing shouldn't be easy, but at some tracks, with DRS, it becomes an absolute certainty.  And I find THAT to be boring.

Hence my call for some tweaking here and there. But I already feel like there is relatively little passing in F1. Having even less would suuuuuck.

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't think people appreciate just how incredibly complicated and expensive a system like that would be to implement.  You are talking about monitoring the position of the cars and the white line that is miles long at all times while needing to be accurate within a fraction of an inch.

Sure, if you do the whole track. You would typically only need to do it at one or two turns on most tracks though. Even then, though, nobody will volunteer to pay for it alone.

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I like it. I feel like without the races would be more boring. It does need some tweaking here and there.

I'm more of the mind that I'd rather see a great battle that ends without an overtake sticking than see 20 passes where the driver just sat back and waited for the DRS zone to finally make a move. It's the battle I'm there for.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, wood said:

I'm more of the mind that I'd rather see a great battle that ends without an overtake sticking than see 20 passes where the driver just sat back and waited for the DRS zone to finally make a move. It's the battle I'm there for.

Exactly.

If it's just an inevitability of physics, then I don't consider that to be a "real" pass and I'm thoroughly uninterested in it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah I really do get why they implemented DRS, but I still hate it.

It's just way too powerful at many tracks.  Passing shouldn't be easy, but at some tracks, with DRS, it becomes an absolute certainty.  And I find THAT to be boring.

Yeah they implemented it to avoid actually dealing with the problem, which is another reason to hate it. It's a bandaid on Massive Head Wound Harry's massive head wound.

Agree 100% with that second line, too.

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Formula 1 generated $2,573,000,000 in 2022.

I think they can afford to pay for some transponders at certain areas of the tracks.

Scrooge Mcduck GIF

Don't go off the track!

They can, but they ain't gonna. I mean, COTA's received $350,000,000 in tax subsidies so far, but ... you get the idea. These are the kind of guys who would rather throw their mom off a cliff than spend a dime they don't have to spend.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, wood said:

McLaren is just throwing shit at the wall now ...

F0IGyImXwAAXwdj?format=jpg&name=large

I have an idea, they should make the entire car sort of silver/chrome, and then use a little bit of orange highlight.  Nah, nothing like that could ever look good...

McLaren MP4-27 - Wikipedia

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I have an idea, they should make the entire car sort of silver/chrome, and then use a little bit of orange highlight.  Nah, nothing like that could ever look good...

McLaren MP4-27 - Wikipedia

Works for me.

Zak Brown: "We’re really trying to build our association with papaya, much like Ferrari’s red and Mercedes have their colour identity."

Hmmm ... if McLaren want to build the brand association with the color papaya, then maybe they should go back to painting the car papaya rather than a mashup of colors and constant livery changes. Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, and Aston Martin liveries are iconic because their liveries stay almost identical throughout the years. That's strong branding.

Imagine the current Ferrari or AM livery, but in papaya. :Boner:

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, wood said:

My bad ...

mclaren.jpg

This looks like a Ferrari that's been sitting out in the sun for 7 years. What was the old car polish commercial where they went to a junkyard, spread it on a car that had been sitting it the finish was like new again?

2 hours ago, wood said:

Works for me.

Zak Brown: "We’re really trying to build our association with papaya, much like Ferrari’s red and Mercedes have their colour identity."

Hmmm ... if McLaren want to build the brand association with the color papaya, then maybe they should go back to painting the car papaya rather than a mashup of colors and constant livery changes. Ferrari, Mercedes, Red Bull, and Aston Martin liveries are iconic because their liveries stay almost identical throughout the years. That's strong branding.

Imagine the current Ferrari or AM livery, but in papaya. :Boner:

Imagine though, a current Mercedes in that crazy Silver Arrow paint scheme!

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

This looks like a Ferrari that's been sitting out in the sun for 7 years. What was the old car polish commercial where they went to a junkyard, spread it on a car that had been sitting it the finish was like new again?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRf_aS42BPfYPUAag4I-ay

Oops. Anton beat me to it.

Edited by wood

They can, but they ain't gonna. I mean, COTA's received $350,000,000 in tax subsidies so far, but ... you get the idea. These are the kind of guys who would rather throw their mom off a cliff than spend a dime they don't have to spend.
They could use computer vision image recognition with either the existing cameras on the car or ones in a better position to pretty easily automatically monitor if they are outside the lines or not. I don't see any reason why that would be particularly difficult and it's super cheap. Don't need a massive sensor network on every track...that's overkill and not necessary. Then the drivers could have instant feedback and the video feed could capture a still image when it happens.
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, MadTrapper said:

They could use computer vision image recognition with either the existing cameras on the car or ones in a better position to pretty easily automatically monitor if they are outside the lines or not. I don't see any reason why that would be particularly difficult and it's super cheap. Don't need a massive sensor network on every track...that's overkill and not necessary. Then the drivers could have instant feedback and the video feed could capture a still image when it happens.

And honestly it's not even every corner of every track, just a few select corners here and there on some key tracks.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Give Max the trophy now and then don’t let him use DRS rhe rest of the season. 

I don't think it would matter.  All he has to do is get out front by >1 second which is easy for him.  He often does it before DRS is enabled

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Push to pass with limited uses. 

Or even DRS with limited uses. Even if they keep DRS, there are much better ways to implement it.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

BTW, re: the paved runoffs, I'm still very skeptical that they're actually safer. Take, for example, a car or bike with no brakes, heading into a paved runoff. The no-brakes IndyCar crash at  Mid Ohio the other day likely would have ended with Pagenaud dead right there. 

And I've also heard a lot about Moto riders actually preferring the gravel as well. Carlos Tatay's Portimao crash is probably a good example of why. He had to have emergency spinal surgery after this one where he slid down a runout road.

4 hours ago, wood said:

BTW, re: the paved runoffs, I'm still very skeptical that they're actually safer. Take, for example, a car or bike with no brakes, heading into a paved runoff. The no-brakes IndyCar crash at  Mid Ohio the other day likely would have ended with Pagenaud dead right there. 

And I've also heard a lot about Moto riders actually preferring the gravel as well. Carlos Tatay's Portimao crash is probably a good example of why. He had to have emergency spinal surgery after this one where he slid down a runout road.

Safer in wheel to wheel action (F1) when getting forced wide. Cost a tenth instead of ten places. 

14 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Get better at racing. 

Yep, and with grass and gravel at the edge of the track, it'd be amazing how quickly some would get better and others would get replaced.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

2024 F1 Calendar released - will this finally be the year they actually race in China? two mid seasons breaks? (9/22 to 10/20 in Austin + 7/28 to 8/25? huge change for Suzuka.

F0RrnALXwAQvDxL?format=jpg&name=4096x409

China to Miami to Italy/Monaco to Canada to Spain in the matter of two months seems exhausting.

2 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Not to mention hilariously hypocritical. Give me eight fewer races and six more cylinders. 

Vince Mcmahon Wwe GIF

4 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Not to mention hilariously hypocritical. Give me eight fewer races and six more cylinders. 

I'll be honest, Bahrain, Qatar, Abu Dhabi all just blend together for me, and none of them get me excited. Saudi seems ridiculously dangerous even before the missiles launched. I think they are changing that track, aren't they?

If you made me cut 8, I'd go:

Bahrain
Saudi
China
Miami
Netherlands
Las Vegas
Qatar
Abu Dhabi

Or really just give me a rotating schedule of Japan, Austria, Silverstone, Brazil, Monza, Spa... and then Montreal and Austin for selfish reasons.

1 hour ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Yep, or 4 more cylinders, and don't forget the natural aspiration.