Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Another fucked up strategy day for Ferrari. Ugh.

monsters amp GIF

Bad take.  Ferrari nailed their tire strategy today with the one stop race.

Albon is a very good driver and the Williams upgrades were impresseive today.

51 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Bad take.  Ferrari nailed their tire strategy today with the one stop race.

Easy to say hours after the race. When the drivers were bitching things were not settled. I want them to be good, and am glad they finished well.

I’m not anti Ferrari, I was a huge Schumacher fan and even when he was at Ferrari. 

1 hour ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Easy to say hours after the race. When the drivers were bitching things were not settled. I want them to be good, and am glad they finished well.

I’m not anti Ferrari, I was a huge Schumacher fan and even when he was at Ferrari. 

It’s amusing because when Ted (who I enjoy) was talking about how they missed their window I was just thinking that they were going to 1 stop and gain an advantage that way which is what happened.  It was my immediate thought when they stayed out on the mediums.  Maybe it was my idiot savant day.  So, at least for me it wasn’t hours after the race.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

My favorite thing about F1 is the watch painted on Alonsos fire gloves 

I think those are probably the Merc drivers' gloves. Pretty much the same yellow.

6 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Yep. My kid and I were talking about this yesterday. Albon is very quietly underrated.  Quick and just doesn't make many mistakes. He'll be around for a while imho.

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

In the early 2010's (pre-Hybrid) I lived in Montreal.  The cars would rattle my windows during practice.ived a good ways from the track.

I'll never forget the first time I experienced the sound of F1 cars in person. I was walking across the bridge on Saturday in 2010 when FP3 started. V8 sounds bouncing through the trees sounded right next to me even though I was still a long way out. Finally got off the bridge, turned left, and was almost immediately at the hairpin braking zone - probably one of the best spots in racing to experience the sounds, smells, and other feels close up. Those cars were 15 feet away, braking and downshifting down from 200+ to about about 50, then screaming out the other side. You could feel the downshifts as much as you could hear them, thumping in your chest. I attended GPs in 2012 and 2013 after that, but I've never heard anything like what I heard at the hairpin that first day before or since. Still gives me chills.

5 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

Valtari back at the hotel:

f10a8df01c2656721283dc99f38647eb.jpg

That's the guy who runs the Tilt-a-Whirl at the Rodeo, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh, and I just watched a few minutes of the Arnett/Ricciardo broadcast. Maybe it gets better, but the first lpa or so of the race is rough. And fuck that POS Sean Kelly (Statman). You may remember him lying his ass off all over twitter in his effort to keep us from getting the MLS team. Jeremiah Bentley and I owned his shit several times back then, debunking his obvious misinformation campaign. He hated us with a passion. He is truly a piece of shit.

Edited by wood

from The Athletic's review of the Montreal GP

Lando is under contract for this year + 2 more (out after 25 i think) which has to just eat him alive right now with the car. his quotes blow are very, very honest.

The Woking-based team is leaving their second straight race weekend without a points finish because even though the cars seemed to have a decent race pace, they “struggled, especially in the second stint, when tires get too hot,” team principal Andrea Stella said in the team recap. It didn’t help that both McLarens got stuck in the Williams DRS train, though Norris did try to launch a final-corner attack on Ocon.

All eyes are on the massive upgrades coming. Stella said Friday that McLaren realized the MCL60 “needed a fundamental redesign;” therefore, the updates will be spread across three races, starting in Austria in two weeks. The team boss said nearly every aerodynamic part has been redesigned as well as “some parts under the bodywork.”

Ahead of the race weekend, Norris laid out how some of the car’s issues have been masked in new tire, low fuel settings. In Spain, for example, “a new set of tires versus a used set of tires was like eight-tenths (of a second per lap) almost.” Norris was brutally honest that right now, “no track suits us,” but McLaren does better in high-speed corners.

“It’s not just the fact it was a long corner. It’s how you’re able to drive corners, how you’re able to release the brake, that we just don’t have. That’s not good either,” Norris said. “It’s not just that we’re missing 20 points of downforce on the front, 20 points on the rear. It’s the handling, the characteristics of the car that we also need to fix in some ways. There are feelings that I have in the car that we’ve had for the last five years, and haven’t changed.”

2 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

Didn't you hear on the broadcast? It was "by design" because having a key piece of downforce flopping around wildly is sound aerodynamics. Ferrari is about to introduce the same concept on their next round of upgrades.

Also lol at Karen Norris “Someone will get hurt!”

Yeah that's not by design. We talkin' about Alpine here. Alpine. Alpine!!! The other car didn't seem to have the same problem, and if it is by design, then it would probably be considered a moveable aerodynamic device. Can't imagine what they'd gain from it though. And yeah, a rear wing failing at high speed (which is when they're most likely to fail) is typically exceedingly bad for everyone involved. It shouldn't have drawn a penalty. It should have drawn a black flag.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah that's not by design. We talkin' about Alpine here. Alpine. Alpine!!! The other car didn't seem to have the same problem, and if it is by design, then it would probably be considered a moveable aerodynamic device. Can't imagine what they'd gain from it though. And yeah, a rear wing failing at high speed (which is when they're most likely to fail) is typically exceedingly bad for everyone involved. It shouldn't have drawn a penalty. It should have drawn a black flag.

Yup, all of this.

Haven't been on the thread in some time.  How we liking max's nuts all up in erryone elses mouth?  Cuz it aint stopping. 

Weird to not see the meatball on ocon.  I woulda thought we would have seen penalties for all those unsafe releases as well but since SIR lewis was one of them, I guess that dictates the outcome some. 

It seems to be fairly well accepted that Red Bull have no interest in having two drivers fighting for the championship and this is Max's team. Given that, Perez's RB surely is a lesser version of Max's. 

So how much of that 4-4 is because of Perez vs having a tuned down RB?

I just have a hard time believing Perez is THAT much worse than Max. Heck, going 4-4 against those cars while in a RB makes Perez look like one of the slowest on the grid. Again, that's hard to believe.

23 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

It seems to be fairly well accepted that Red Bull have no interest in having two drivers fighting for the championship and this is Max's team. Given that, Perez's RB surely is a lesser version of Max's. 

I just have a hard time believing Perez is THAT much worse than Max. Heck, going 4-4 against those cars while in a RB makes Perez look like one of the slowest on the grid. Again, that's hard to believe.

well...yeah.

they aren't tuning down his car. take those conspiracy theories elsewhere - come on man.

when it comes to quali...yeah, max is that much better

when it comes to consistency of laps in race...yeah, max is that much better.

Perez isn't cutting it in what is easily the best car on the grid he is only 9 points ahead of Fernando.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

They’re not tuning down Checo’s car. Max will wipe the floor with Checo in identical machinery. I think the difference is due to developing the car to Max’s liking. Max likes an extremely pointy car, while Checo prefers an understeery car. The RB was more understeery last year due to a lack of DF with the new regs. Since then, RB has been able to add DF and make the car more or Max’s liking, which widens the gap between him and Checo. Checo preferring an understeery car just exacerbates the situation. 

2 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Perez is not consistently in the top 5 or 6. RB was both championships, which requires Perez to do better.

Huh? RB has almost double the points of the second place team. They don’t need anything more than they’re getting from Checo to walk away with both championships. Hell, Max might be able to win the constructors by himself this year. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They’re not tuning down Checo’s car. Max will wipe the floor with Checo in identical machinery. I think the difference is due to developing the car to Max’s liking. Max likes an extremely pointy car, while Checo prefers an understeery car. The RB was more understeery last year due to a lack of DF with the new regs. Since then, RB has been able to add DF and make the car more or Max’s liking, which widens the gap between him and Checo. Checo preferring an understeery car just exacerbates the situation. 

Ok this makes logical sense. Tuned down RB was hyperbole (or just wrong, whatevs). 

Merc has been sounding more and more confident about their correlation and development path since they made the big changes at Monaco. They’re also saying they have some aggressive upgrades coming before the break. It’ll be interesting to see how much Merc and AM can catch up to RB by the end of the season. Combine that with Checo’s struggles and it seems like someone will be able to steal at least one win from RB this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

It's not in any team's best interests to make one car slower than the other. Look at AM right now. They desperately need Stroll to pick up the points pace to help in the WCC race against Merc & Ferrari. Stroll is slower because he's slower, and maybe somewhat because of the time he missed due to injury. I love Checo, but he's just not as qucik as Max. There's no shame in that. I'm not sure anyone is as quick as Max.

The teams like to win the WDC, but they get big money for every position gained in the WCC. That's what the teams really care about, and that requires maximum performance from both drivers/cars.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Red Bull has won 18 of the last 19 races.  Sadly, mechanical failure or a wreck may be the only chance we see this run broken for the rest of the year.  It would be nice if F1 could lower the driver to car ration from 90/10 to 70/30 and let driver skill effect the grid finish some.

"On lap 20 of the Miami Grand Prix, Verstappen took the lead and has not given it up since- he has now led 223 consecutive laps over the last four races."