BERT

35 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Dang Bert, 

Thought i was opening the thread on some Applying for Retirement Benefits movie..

Adam Driver been growing on me. im diggin his resume.

Well I’m sorry I disappointed you, sir. Apparently I’m pretty good at that

7 minutes ago, LTbear said:

I'm a paleontologist/ evolutionary biologist. I'm totally in for all of it. 

Not to derail, but since it's your field, why is there only Homo Sapiens ? What I mean is It seems to me that over the course of billions/millions of years there would be more than one species of intelligent primates or any living thing. I find it strange out of all the creatures that ever existed on earth, we are the only ones that are intellectually advanced (sometimes). I am not counting the Octopus's because their DNA is unlike anything on earth. 

So Mr. paleontologist/evolutionary biologist, convince me it wasn't Aliens

See the source image

Edited by nineliveslost

8 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Not to derail, but since it's your field, why is there only Homo Sapiens ? What I mean is It seems to me that over the course of billions/millions of years there would be more than one species of intelligent primates or any living thing. I find it strange out of all the creatures that ever existed on earth, we are the only ones that are intellectually advanced (sometimes). I am not counting the Octopus's because their DNA is unlike anything on earth. 

So Mr. paleontologist/evolutionary biologist, convince me it wasn't Aliens

See the source image

Good question, but the simple answer is that by chance, some genera (our genus is Homo) happen to have only one living species, and that's true for us. At other periods in Earth history, there were multiple species of humans living on the planet at the same time. As recently as 30,000 years ago (which is an absolutely tiny amount of time from the perspective of Earth history, there were three human species around: H. sapiensH. denisova, and H. neanderthalensis. Why the others went extinct, we don't know, but it could have been competition (with us), chance events (like a disease that wiped out a then smallish population), climate change, or some combo thereof. 

As an aside - are we that smart? We existed pretty much like any other animal, despite being 100% anatomically modern, for the vast majority of our species' history (200,000ish years). I'd argue that really the one thing that separates us so much from other critters is the evolutionary advancements in our vocal apparatus (as compared to other primates) and the eventual creation of writing, which has allowed us to accumulate knowledge from generation to generation. If each new generation of human couldn't be born into the wealth of pre-recorded knowledge from all prior generations, I doubt we'd look nearly so advanced. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Another thing to think about: why be smart? We have a biased viewpoint in which you'd think well of course evolution would favor big brains, but that isn't so. Selection only favors what can survive and reproduce, and critters can be incredibly well-adapted for a particular niche without being super brainy. Crocodiles, cockroaches, a million other species are doing great with limited brain power. Moreover, any adaptation is a compromise in some way. Big brains give us a more complex social structure and behavior, but our brains came with disadvantages back in the day. That few pounds of jello in our heads eat up about 25% of our daily calories - that's a huge disadvantage when you're a primate evolving on the savannah with little assurance of when your next meal will come. That calorie need may be one reason (among a few others) that we are relatively weak compared to the other apes - we traded the calories needed to sustain larger musculature for the calories needed for bigger brains. And of course those huge brains, combined with our evolution towards bipedalism, combine to make our childbirth one of the most risky of all mammals; another compromise. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LTbear said:

Good question, but the simple answer is that by chance, some genera (our genus is Homo) happen to have only one living species, and that's true for us. At other periods in Earth history, there were multiple species of humans living on the planet at the same time. As recently as 30,000 years ago (which is an absolutely tiny amount of time from the perspective of Earth history, there were three human species around: H. sapiensH. denisova, and H. neanderthalensis. Why the others went extinct, we don't know, but it could have been competition (with us), chance events (like a disease that wiped out a then smallish population), climate change, or some combo thereof. 

As an aside - are we that smart? We existed pretty much like any other animal, despite being 100% anatomically modern, for the vast majority of our species' history (200,000ish years). I'd argue that really the one thing that separates us so much from other critters is the evolutionary advancements in our vocal apparatus (as compared to other primates) and the eventual creation of writing, which has allowed us to accumulate knowledge from generation to generation. If each new generation of human couldn't be born into the wealth of pre-recorded knowledge from all prior generations, I doubt we'd look nearly so advanced. 

Isn't there some decent evidence that Sapiens and Neanderthals did a fair amount of cross breeding with Sapiens coming out (har har) on top?   Plus the fossil record on Denisova is pretty sparse.   Not saying they didn't exist but compared to Sapiens and Neanderthals they probably existed in smaller numbers.  The same could be said for a lot of the offshoots of both homo and australopithecus.

Migration patterns seem to show they went southwest (toward Indonesia) while Neanderthals went northwest (China/Tibet).    I wonder if the island nature of going southwest affected Denisovans since we know Australasia was setlled relatively late in the geologic record.  

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I'm still wrapping my head around the idea that Baylor allowed you to study evolutionary biology without including Noah's Ark as the major factor deciding existing fauna in the modern world.

Internet myths. While I was at Baylor a science professor was fired for suggesting creationism be considered as a science. 

36 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Isn't there some decent evidence that Sapiens and Neanderthals did a fair amount of cross breeding with Sapiens coming out (har har) on top?   Plus the fossil record on Denisova is pretty sparse.   Not saying they didn't exist but compared to Sapiens and Neanderthals they probably existed in smaller numbers.  The same could be said for a lot of the offshoots of both homo and australopithecus.

Migration patterns seem to show they went southwest (toward Indonesia) while Neanderthals went northwest (China/Tibet).    I wonder if the island nature of going southwest affected Denisovans since we know Australasia was setlled relatively late in the geologic record.  

Yep, most people of European descent have something like 1-3% neanderthal DNA. 

Denisovans do have a sparse record, but truth is that's true for the vast majority of vertebrates we know from the fossil record. Odds are there are several extinct human species we'll never even know about.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, BERT said:

Did anybody go see this movie yet?

17 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

It’s what you expect. Space humans crash land on prehistoric earth. Escape shuttle is inconveniently miles away from the passenger portion of the ship. Survivors have to get to the shuttle without getting eaten by dinosaurs and before the dinosaur killing meteor hits earth.

There’s a cast of two and they don’t speak the same language so there’s very minimal dialog.

I liked it fine but you might as well wait for streaming.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/12/2023 at 10:06 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Saw it tonight with my daughter.  Should have waited for streaming.  The dinosaurs looked more like the creatures from Kong Skull Island than dinosaurs

and they were very angry. and hungry, but mostly angry.

i'm going to compare this movie experience to when you were 15 or something and you were dropped off at the movie theater meeting friends, and you had an idea of what you wanted to see, but you weren't sure and oh shit that's sold out, ok, let's see the dinosaur movie even tough i don't know anything about it, oh it's got adam driver, interesting, and by the end, there are all kinds of problems with the movie, it wasn't really that good, but you were out with your family and both teenage sons at the same time at alamo drafthouse and you are weirdly okay with them actively whispering to each other and laughing at the movie and you suddenly realize you are 45 and can still have fun at a shit movie.

so that's how this movie is.

• Like 1