Blockbusters you’ve never seen

GoPokes83

On 12/24/2022 at 10:13 PM, ztejas said:

If you've never seen any Star Wars movie and plan on keeping it that way then whatever. If you've never seen the Lord of The Rings films and think you're cool because of it or you're above it or that they're faggy then you might as well go the rest of your life without having an orgasm. They are unadulterated cinematic masterpieces and the only films that compare from a technical standpoint are projects from close to or more than a hundred years ago when they were still trying to figure out how to pull shit off on camera. 

It amazes me how many people haven't seen those movies. Not just olds where it's understandable - but people around my generation who had zero excuse to not view them. 

If you're one of these people then quit being a bitch and go fire up the Fellowship. If you hate it after 20 minutes then fair enough but at least you can die knowing that you gave it a shot. 

I'm in my late 40s and never read the books when I was a kid.  When LOTR-FOTR came out on DVD, we got a copy and watched it . . . all of it.  When it was over, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I did not like it one bit.  I was bored by it.  It was not for me.  But I cannot be accused of not giving it a chance.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/25/2022 at 3:30 PM, RomaVicta said:

I wish I could forget seeing those movies and watch them again for the first time. The weakest one, IMHO, is Dances With Wolves, but it's still a good movie.

I've got this week off.  Maybe I'll knock a couple of my list.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I'm in my late 40s and never read the books when I was a kid.  When LOTR-FOTR came out on DVD, we got a copy and watched it . . . all of it.  When it was over, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I did not like it one bit.  I was bored by it.  It was not for me.  But I cannot be accused of not giving it a chance.

Absolutely, totally, 100% fine my man. You gave it a shot and it wasn't for you. 

The people that deny the existence of movies like that and refuse to give them a chance drive me crazy. 

The greatest thing ever made in any artistic medium is never going to bat 1.000. All I ask is that people acknowledge stuff like that and give it a try. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Also - I'm not saying I would recommend illegally downloading the blu-ray versions of the LOTR films and then playing them on a 2k or 4k display - but I'm not saying that I wouldn't recommend doing that. 

(translation: get a decent VPN and go fucking do it)

On 12/24/2022 at 12:59 AM, Sbbruin said:

Best picture winners I’ve never seen:

Shape of Water, 12 Years a Slave, Nomadland, Green Book, BirdMan, Million Dollar Baby, Argo, Slumdog Millionaire, Shakespeare in Love.  Others going back further, but anything there really something I should see?

Best Pictures often aren’t. I don’t know about all of the politics that go into determining the winners. I remember seeing Out of Africa in the theater. I thought it was boring as hell. There had to be more deserving candidates that came out in 1985. I figure Oscar nominees deserve consideration but I don’t put much stock in the Best Picture award. 

On 12/24/2022 at 8:55 PM, kingkoopa6 said:

Damn. Y’all got me replaying LOTR again. 

and I’ll fuckin do it too. From the beginning 

The Extended Edition?

I last went through those again during isolation in 2020. It still pisses me off how Peter Jackson took more liberties in departing from the books with each successive film. Bringing Frodo and Sam back from Mordor to Osgiliath was an outrage and totally unnecessary. The story should’ve ended in disaster when Frodo held up the ring to the black rider. Frodo would’ve been killed instantly and the ring whisked back to Sauron. So fucking stupid.

Still, I have the DVDs and I’ll watch them again despite their many flaws. There’s a lot of greatness in them too.

• Like 1

Does Christmas Vacation count as a blockbuster?  I loved the first one but never watched the Christmas one.
My wife bitches at me that I’ve never seen the Sound of Music but it doesn’t interest me so why waste my time.

The Sound of Music is likely the Worst Fucking Blockbusterof all time. I grew up with this shit. My parents loved it. Everywhere you went that soundtrack playing. Singing Austrian Nazi children. On the run because daddy nazi is the wrong kind of Nazi after the Anschluss.

On 12/23/2022 at 5:14 PM, CooterBrown said:

Forrest Gump and Shawshank Redemption. Fuck those movies.

I watched Forrest Gump about 7 years after it came out and liked it but couldn't find anyone to discuss it because the movie had been out for 7 years.

I've never seen Shawshank Redemption, I put it on my watch list about 25 years ago but still haven't managed to watch it.

On 12/26/2022 at 7:34 PM, ztejas said:

Absolutely, totally, 100% fine my man. You gave it a shot and it wasn't for you. 

The people that deny the existence of movies like that and refuse to give them a chance drive me crazy. 

The greatest thing ever made in any artistic medium is never going to bat 1.000. All I ask is that people acknowledge stuff like that and give it a try. 

Oh fuck off.  I don't like fantasy faggotry, so I'll skip those movies because I can't spare 2 or more hours of the precious time that I have left on this rock. 

Is there a wizard or something wizard-like?  Yes?  That's all the info I need to skip the fucking movie.   That's just one example.

I'm sure I'm also missing some cool LARP shit down at the local park, but my small mind won't let me go down there to scream "LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, dcbc said:

I've got this week off.  Maybe I'll knock a couple of my list.

I've now seen Hoosiers.  And while I would watch a movie about Gene Hackman watching paint dry, I wasn't blown away.  Halfway through, I couldn't have told you more than a couple of character's names.  A cumulative 20 minutes of the movie is GH arguing with referees.  But it is pretty much the roadmap for a feel-good sports movie.  Seeing it more than 30 years after it came out probably had some effect on my reaction.

43 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Oh fuck off.  I don't like fantasy faggotry, so I'll skip those movies because I can't spare 2 or more hours of the precious time that I have left on this rock. 

Is there a wizard or something wizard-like?  Yes?  That's all the info I need to skip the fucking movie.   That's just one example.

I'm sure I'm also missing some cool LARP shit down at the local park, but my small mind won't let me go down there to scream "LIGHTNING BOLT LIGHTNING BOLT"

Well I know someone who's not getting invited to the Surly LARP meet up. 

Like many others here, not seen any of the Harry Potters or Fast and Furious flicks. Don't see that state of affairs changing. I've never seen Platoon and can't see any compelling reason why I ever will. Also not seen Fifty Shades of Grey or any of the Daniel Craig Bond flicks (though I have seen significant bits and pieces here and there). Someday I'm sure I will properly sit through those Bond flicks beginning to end. Only a couple of weeks ago I finally buckled down and watched The Dark Knight at the urging of many others around me over a period of years - took me a few sittings to get through all of it, but I was determined. I will not be watching any other Batman/Joker films unless they are encompassed as part of a larger story that doesn't focus on those characters. So outside of Michael Keaton's version and now TDK, I have not, nor will I ever see any of the others (sequels, origin variants, etc...) including Joker. No matter the quality, it's just been done tooooo much. One film that I've curiously missed, as I was a bit into a few comic books at a young age, is Iron Man. I've made a note to catch that one when the next opportunity arises.

Edited by ouflak

On 12/23/2022 at 11:59 PM, Sbbruin said:

Best picture winners I’ve never seen:

Shape of Water, 12 Years a Slave, Nomadland, Green Book, BirdMan, Million Dollar Baby, Argo, Slumdog Millionaire, Shakespeare in Love.  Others going back further, but anything there really something I should see?

See Birdman.  The rest of that shit you can put on your assisted living movie bucket list.

Shakespeare in Love gets an honorable mention because I live in a household of women and it's one of the few we all watched together, so that was nice.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/28/2022 at 7:21 PM, F250 said:

I watched Forrest Gump about 7 years after it came out and liked it but couldn't find anyone to discuss it because the movie had been out for 7 years.

I've never seen Shawshank Redemption, I put it on my watch list about 25 years ago but still haven't managed to watch it.

Forrest Gump was fine as a first watch.  It was damn clever. 

Shawshank is overrated, cloying drivel.  If you believe that, then when you watch it 25 years from now you might enjoy it a little.

On 12/24/2022 at 10:46 AM, Vic Mackey said:

any indiana jones movie

Indiana Jones (the first one) is a pretty necessary watch.

Like a lot of people, I went with no expectations not knowing anything about it.  The four best popcorn flicks I ever experience in the theater were probably this, Jaws, Alien, and The Right Stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/24/2022 at 1:29 PM, shadow_operative said:

Argo didn't do anything for me. i saw three of that year's best picture nominees, and of the three, Django Unchained became one of my all time favorite movies, zero dark thirty has become a movie that i'll watch several times, while Argo is not anything i'd ever want to watch again. 

35B72770-8CB4-4ECD-A618-2070B694C265.png.892edddff286312be8ddc7891c4c1ea1.png

just busting your balls. I thought it was a good movie. Different strokes and all that 

• Haha 2