Anti-heroes > heroes

Patricio Swayze

Yeah a villain with an eventual redemption scene, still isn't an anti-hero.

Darth Vader isn't compelling because he was redeemed, if anything that diminishes him in my eyes.  Darth Vader is compelling because he's a goodguy-slaughtering-badass that has a cape, magical powers, and the best voice in show business.

I refuse to watch the final bit of ROTJ where Anakin gets a Force Ghost who stands there grinning like a possum eating a sweet potato whilst yucking it up with Obi Wan and Yoda.  No, freaking, way.

Edited by utee94

I forgot Ethan Edwards.  

The Searchers really needs to be remade and done to show the brutality of the Comanche and the whites.  I have no problem with the original version because of the time it was made.  A new version has potential to be a great film due to the clash of cultures subject matter

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/9/2023 at 11:55 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

although I might be the only person left that hasn’t watched boondock saints.

Hot take, but do not waste your time. That movie was recommended to me by a ton of people, and finally sat down and tried to watch it about 15 years ago with my then-roommate and about 30 minutes into the movie was said "what the fuck is this shit?" and turned it off. Laughably corny. Accents all over the place. Completely stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm always in for a good heist movie/show, but at what point are the thieves anti heroes? In some instances, they are just straight up thieves and others they seem to be stealing with a purpose or to get revenge on some other morally corrupt person who did them wrong. Either way, I always find myself pulling for them to get away with it.

55 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I'm always in for a good heist movie/show, but at what point are the thieves anti heroes? In some instances, they are just straight up thieves and others they seem to be stealing with a purpose or to get revenge on some other morally corrupt person who did them wrong. Either way, I always find myself pulling for them to get away with it.

For sure, same here.  I was all-in on Hans Gruber and am still hacked off that stupid cowboy mucked it all up.

• 1 month later...

Interesting read about the proliferation and saturation of anti-heroes in modern story telling:

Science fiction, fantasy, and genre entertainment of all kinds is suffering from serious antihero drift, a general flattening of heroes and villains into morally gray but also fairly interchangeable characters that don’t have clearly defined or consistent motivations. Not only do we have three movies exploring Darth Vader’s early years as a hero and his fall to the dark, we now have an Obi-Wan Kenobi show that documents his own middle years between movies spent as a gritty wanderer trying, and often failing, to do the right thing.

We, as audiences, are told that this makes these characters more dynamic. It’s a sort of postmodern reinterpretation of what a hero or a villain is, in an effort to create more complex stories. But what if we’re losing, in the process, coherent characters and storytelling with real stakes? If no one in your story plays by the rules, can you even claim to have any in the first place?

https://www.polygon.com/23589217/antiheroes-the-boys-batman-superman-buffy-spike-defined