Tender Age Shelters

Hugo Stiglitz

24 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We all kind of knew there would be dead kids at the end of this story.  

That in itself is deeply disturbing and heartbreaking.

We are also pretty sure there will be molested children, lost children, traumatized children...but hey, their parents committed a misdemeanor in some cases, so what did they expect.

The Trump administration said in a court filing on Monday that 463 parents of migrant children are no longer present in the United States, indicating that the number of mothers and fathers potentially deported without their kids during the “zero tolerance” border crackdown could be far larger than previously acknowledged.

The progress report to US District Judge Dana Sabraw cautioned the 463 cases are “under review”, meaning the filing was not a definitive tally of all migrant parents who have been deported while their children remain in US government shelters.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-parents-deport-children-separated-migrants-immigration-trump-ice-a8460946.html

On Monday, my Congressman stated at a town hall that the only children left un-reunited were those who 1) their parents have chosen to leave without them, or 2) were brought without their parents.  I speculate the second category likely includes kids that were brought with their uncles, grandparents, or friends of family.  Maybe some kids that were 14-18 who made the journey, more or less solo. The Congressman said they would either be fostered/adopted out or there would be an attempt to reunite them with their families back in their country of origin.  If their parents are already in the States, working, I have no idea.  It's such a complete clusterfuck.

The Republican party has unfortunately become the Nazi party in its beginning stages. Its a white nationalist party supported by people with perceived economic grievances who they falsely blame on the others because of a fascist narcissistic liar leading it who constantly lies to them and everyone else. Tender age camps is only a first toe into the water of evil. Time to stamp it out before it grows.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

40 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The Republican party has unfortunately become the Nazi party in its beginning stages. Its a white nationalist party supported by people with perceived economic grievances who they falsely blame on the others because of a fascist narcissistic liar leading it who constantly lies to them and everyone else. Tender age camps is only a first toe into the water of evil. Time to stamp it out before it grows.  

That's pushing things really far as far as labels, but this is the party that claims America needs to be more Christian.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

That's pushing things really far as far as labels,

It is....but it also isn't.  That's why the phrase "beginning stages" is important.

Look, at present, the GOP has begun trapping dogs and cats and shooting arrows at them.  Sick, appalling, and a huge warning sign.  The right response to that isn't "well, they aren't the Boston Strangler YET...."  The right response is "holy fuck this is alarming and we need to nip it in the bud before they finish the process and become the Boston Strangler."

The best time to put out a fire is when it's small.  This is an evil fucking fire that they are setting, and that they CELEBRATE setting.  Time to hit it with this:

10TANKER-3.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Dead kids in concentration camps. If you can't see it now, you'll never see it.

Oh, I predicted very early on that this was going to lead to one or more dead kids.

But look at how many ex-Republicans there are on Surly, myself included, and look at the fact that Trump's overall support is not going up.

Or to put it another way, this doesn't feel like the beginnings of Nazi Germany, this feels like Trump has gone into Bunker Mode.  Trump's tweets and Sarah Huckabeef Colonel Sanders' news conferences are the equivalent of "The Americans haven't crossed the Rhine, and the Russians aren't closing in on Berlin!" and Trump's people are being forced to try and reunite those kids, even if they are fucking it up.

What muddies the waters is that many Republicans in Congress are desperately watching the clock and waiting for it to run out and for Mueller to do something or Trump to be defeated in 2020.   

Edited by atomheartbevo

I would be more concerned if Republicans in Congress were building a big-ass wall, legislatively supporting Trump wanting to intern those little kids, etc. instead of letting the courts tell Trump to get fucked.

Our proverbial Rubicon is going to be what happens when Mueller starts releasing final reports, and what happens in November. 

I understand about putting out fires early, but I happen to think that November is a part of putting those fires out early.  If we can defeat the Party of Trump at the polls, that opens up actual hearings, and seeing Trump fucking squirm at Congress going in dry on him.

There is nothing else we can do between now and then, outside of GOTV and try and contribute to helping those people who are separated from their kids.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

But look at how many ex-Republicans there are on Surly, myself included, and look at the fact that Trump's overall support is not going up.

Or to put it another way, this doesn't feel like the beginnings of Nazi Germany, this feels like Trump has gone into Bunker Mode.

Ignore Trump as a character and look at what is happening. He didn't create an American Gestapo that is now killing children, he enabled the already existing popular will to genocide. That popular will to genocide is not going to disappear when Trump leaves the White House.

Someone else will come along to capitalize, and next time they might not be as openly gross and stupid as Donald. The next guy will likely be far worse specifically because he's more palatable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Ignore Trump as a character and look at what is happening. He didn't create an American Gestapo that is now killing children, he enabled the already existing popular will to genocide. That popular will to genocide is not going to disappear when Trump leaves the White House.

Someone else will come along to capitalize, and next time they might not be as openly gross and stupid as Donald. The next guy will likely be far worse specifically because he's more palatable.

A lot of the people you are talking about are fucking cowards.  Yelling at Jim Acosta is one thing, but they found out, and keep finding out, what happens to their kind when they shout the n-word at people, or get identified on social media as marching in white-supremacist shit.  They get fired.  They get ostracized by society and in some cases, their own families.  Their businesses go under.  For all of their bluster online, they are scared shitless of being outted on social media, and when their inner demons are exposed, they cry like fucking babies about how that's not really who they are.

Speaking of which, they whine like little bitches when they are booted off of social media, but what do they do besides whine?  Do they make their own platform, do they shoot up the place, etc.? No, they fucking whine on other social media platforms.

It's fucking horrible what is happening with these kids, but the rule of law is trying to work, and these kids were ordered to be reunited with family.  Much of what Trump has done can be reversed - we can't take away the trauma from these little kids, but we can elect better people.

Trump is his own worst enemy.  He will reap what he sows, whether that be with Mueller, or with Congress going after him in January.

I've donated money, I think my wife roped me into some phone banking for Beto and possibly into some other GOTV stuff.  I've made it clear to family and friends why I'm no longer a Republican and why I think the GOP is horrible, and I even throw in the "the GOP goes against the teachings of Christ" bit.  That's about the limit of what I can and will do up through November.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's fucking horrible what is happening with these kids, but the rule of law is trying to work, and these kids were ordered to be reunited with family.  Much of what Trump has done can be reversed - we can't take away the trauma from these little kids, but we can elect better people.

Yep yep yep yep yep. It's awesome to see people lining up to help these kids and make sure it never happens again. 

Just posting again to point out this is in my opinion by far the most evil and vile thing the president and his administration have done so far, separating young infants toddlers and children from their parents for political reasons, causing untold trauma on those kids and even their parents. Apparently some will never be reunited and like the others, by then its far too late. Those kids hate their parents, our government, and the world in general. 

Just pure fucking evil. Evil to the core. 

Would our resident trolls who like to argue about taxes and MAGA and such care to chime in?  Please do assholes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Just posting again to point out this is in my opinion by far the most evil and vile thing the president and his administration have done so far, separating young infants toddlers and children from their parents for political reasons, causing untold trauma on those kids and even their parents. Apparently some will never be reunited and like the others, by then its far too late. Those kids hate their parents, our government, and the world in general. 

Just pure fucking evil. Evil to the core. 

Would our resident trolls who like to argue about taxes and MAGA and such care to chime in?  Please do assholes. 

Gorsuch, brah, Gorsuch

This is BS and somehow it needs to end. First, this will not stop immigration. People just won't bring their kids, fucking up Central America even more. It is a real problem there and has contributed to the growth of the Mara's and fucktardness across the region. 

43 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

This is BS and somehow it needs to end. First, this will not stop immigration. People just won't bring their kids, fucking up Central America even more. It is a real problem there and has contributed to the growth of the Mara's and fucktardness across the region. 

And to stop those kids from coming all we had to do was give up our entire moral compass and forfeit our entire moral authority to the entire world? It’s worth it right?

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Sure if we elect more or the same republicans. Only a wave of dems can stop this blood wave. And I’m not a dem.

Yep, no hope for the Rs. While DC seems totally broken, a D wave is about the only thing we can hope for..

10 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Look on the bright side, it’s just as likely America will become so shitty and oppressive no one will want to come here.

winning

Pretty sure the tourism industry is already feeling this.

12 hours ago, retread said:

Yep, no hope for the Rs. While DC seems totally broken, a D wave is about the only thing we can hope for..

The hope for the Rs is that the Ds beat the living fuck out of the this version of the Rs.  Parties adjust to win elections.  If this version of the Rs wins election, they will not adjust. 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

They deserved it. Shouldn’t have broken the law by coming here illegally.

That’s how you say that, right?

BOB PORTER: We're gonna bring in some entry level sex offenders for us to work in these summer camps, that's the usual deal.

BOB SLYDELL: Well, it's standard operating procedure.

Evil fucks.  They targeted people with kids for prosecution to intentionally separate families.  https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/adolfoflores/parents-were-targeted-under-zero-tolerance-a-new-analysis

The Trump administration chose to prosecute parents with children over adults without kids, according to a new analysis of immigration data, in another sign that the "zero tolerance" policy was manipulated to target families at the border.

When Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the "zero tolerance" policy, he said everyone who was caught crossing the border illegally would be prosecuted. Family separations, the administration said, were simply a consequence of prosecuting all immigrants who were caught trying to enter the US illegally.

But an analysis of prosecutions during the weeks after Sessions announced the policy found that during May, US border authorities chose to prosecute adults with kids over adults crossing the border by themselves. That same analysis — by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University — found that only 32% of all adult immigrants caught crossing the border were charged with entering the US illegally that month — an indication that it wasn’t a blanket policy but a targeted effort directed at parents with kids.

In May, weeks after the formal announcement of the policy, US border authorities apprehended 4,458 adults with children, the analysis found, while it arrested 24,465 adults without children. Yet only 9,216 adults were referred for prosecution, far fewer than the number of adults who in theory should have been referred under "zero tolerance."

Since fewer than one out of three adults detained at the southwest border in May were referred for prosecution, US Customs and Border Protection clearly was choosing to prosecute parents while electing not to prosecute adults without kids, the analysis concluded.

"The Administration has not explained its rationale for prosecuting parents with children when that left so many other adults without children who were not being referred for prosecution," the report said.

Susan B. Long, codirector of TRAC and an associate professor of managerial statistics at the Martin J. Whitman School of Management at Syracuse University, said researchers don't yet have data on how many adults with kids were prosecuted or how many single adults faced charges in May.

Still, she said, it's clear the administration made the decision to prosecute some parents over single adults.

"It wasn't like [the prosecutions] were automatic; this was a conscious choice," Long said. "We have yet to know the number of separations due to them being criminally prosecuted."

The data in another TRAC report showed that only one adult with children was referred for criminal prosecution in April, Long said. That surprised researchers because the "zero tolerance" policy that the administration said forced it to prosecute parents and separate them from their kids was announced April 6.

"We looked really hard for things to suggest data is unreliable or make you doubt it," Long told BuzzFeed News. "We were so shocked. The Border Patrol data indicated they referred only one parent, and there were lots of separations."

A separate TRAC report found that 1,060 out of 4,537 adults arrested by border authorities in April were deported. At the same time, only 851 children out of the 5,144 arrested as part of family units were deported — meaning hundreds of parents appear to have been deported without their kids, the report said.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2018 at 7:53 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Since when do you give a shit about Central America?  

• Like 1