Post-Beard Game #7 - Texas @ Tennessee (Big12-SEC / Top 10 Matchup); Saturday 5pm, ESPN (College BB Game Day)

Js1

23 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Rodney Terry couldn't even keep the team properly defending the way they need to from the outside in. Contrast this to the Gonzaga performance and it's becoming obvious we're more done than grandma's Sizzler sirloin. 

3-4 seed with a very good possibility of getting upset in the first round. If not then cannon fodder in the 2nd round. 

You do realize that Gonzaga shot 47% from 3 against us, right? We won that game because it was perhaps our best offensive performance of the season.

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

You do realize that Gonzaga shot 47% from 3 against us, right? We won that game because it was perhaps our best offensive performance of the season.

It was a great offensive performance but it was spearheaded by the defense. They shot 47 percent but on only 19 attempts. In contrast we shot 39 percent on 33 attempts from 3. We held them to only 16-32 from inside the arc.

We also kept up on the boards with only a -4. 

We doubled them up in blocks

We doubled them up in steals. 

We forced 20 turnovers. 

Last night Tenn was only 6-19 from 3. But we allowed 24-35 on 2 pt attempts. Against Gonzaga we denied the entry much better and didn't let Timme get going. Were horrible at that last night. 

We got smoked by 15 on the boards

Steals and blocks were even

Only forced 10 turnovers and committed 9 so even there as well. A much worse defensive performance

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Against Gonzaga we denied the entry much better and didn't let Timme get going.

Timme led Gonzaga in FG attempts, went for 18 and 9 and was 70% from the field.

We won the game bexhase we shot lights out and Gonzaga did not take care of the basketball. We missed our final 5 three pointers when the game was completely out of hand, so even our 39% from deep is misleading. We were hovering around 50% for the majority of the game. We would beat any team in the country shooting that well.

Edited by Hookem2147

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We won the game bexhase we shot lights out and Gonzaga did not take care of the basketball. We missed our final 5 three pointers when the game was completely out of hand, so even our 39% from deep is misleading. We were hovering around 50% for the majority of the game. We would beat any team in the country shooting that well.

Tennessee right now is also a far better team than early season Gonzaga. Plus it was on the road in front of 22k instead of maybe the best environment in Texas basketball history. I don’t see the point in comparing these two games besides beating the dead horse that Beard > Terry. No matter who we hire, seems like after every loss for the next few years we will be discussing how Beard would’ve won that game. I 100% get it, but goddamn is it already insufferable. That’s on me for checking the basketball board after a loss though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

No matter who we hire, seems like after every loss for the next few years we will be discussing how Beard would’ve won that game. I 100% get it, but goddamn is it already insufferable. That’s on me for checking the basketball board after a loss though.

Maybe. A couple of things could change that. We hire someone as good or better than Beard as a coach. That's gonna be tough, since I think he's for sure one of the best basketball coaches out there. But Bill Self is a better coach for KU than Roy Williams was, so it's at least in the realm of possibility. If not in this universe, maybe another one. He ends up being found guilty of felony domestic abuse and goes to prison. That won't happen, but it would certainly change the narrative. He does a Billy Gillespie and completely implodes on a personal level at his next stop. I don't think that happens, either, but I'm rooting for it as long as nobody suffers a serious injury because of it. 

But yeah, he goes on and does as well as I expect him to, you'll be hearing about Chris Beard on some level for as long he's coaching. I certainly expect to be dead before he retires from coaching, so for the rest of my life, basically. And yeah, it's going to suck a big one. 

That said, my personal hopes and fears are very narrow right now. Just please baby Jesus don't let Rodney Terry be our next head coach. Thank you and amen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

This Barnes team could be a FF team.  They definitely have the inside game and rebounding.  Not sure they have the shooting though against a good defense.  If they go up against a physical team and have an average or poor shooting night they could be knocked off.  But they have a better chance than us, with or without Beard.  

Texas with Beard is 100x more likely to make a run to the FF than this tennessee team. rick doesn't make deep runs without star players he can lean on, and this tennessee team has nobody who fits that role. 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Exactly. We limited his FG attempts. Exactly what we didn't do for this Tennessee team because our perimeter defense on the guards is a shell of what it was to begin this season. 

The team has regressed so much it's hard to watch. Just another disappointing season to toss on the pile. I was hoping Terry would get more out of them but maybe the task was too much for anyone to step into. 

2 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

The team has regressed so much it's hard to watch. Just another disappointing season to toss on the pile. I was hoping Terry would get more out of them but maybe the task was too much for anyone to step into. 

Damn, no one told me yesterday was the last game of the season. Shame our year ended with a 6-2 Big 12 record. So much promise.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Damn, no one told me yesterday was the last game of the season. Shame our year ended with a 6-2 Big 12 record. So much promise.

these idiotic, snarky ass comments were beyond tired two weeks ago. at this point it's just straight up bitchassness. this team is so clearly inferior to what it was under beard that you'd have to just completely not understand what you're watching to say otherwise. STFU with all of this hall monitor bullshit and let those of us with a clue commiserate on what a monumental fucking letdown this season/the chris beard era are. 

Edited by shadow_operative

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

letdown this season/the chris beard era are. 

Texas has had 2022 TCU football type wins post Beard and their BIg 12 record is inflationary compared to the quality of play. It’s still impressive bc the B12 is brutal. The talent is there. The coaching is highly suspect. I hope we are just pearl clutching but the defense and a bunch of the offense no longer passes the eyeball test.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

these idiotic, snarky ass comments were beyond tired two weeks ago. at this point it's just straight up bitchassness. this team is so clearly inferior to what it was under beard that you'd have to just completely not understand what you're watching to say otherwise. STFU with all of this hall monitor bullshit and let those of us with a clue commiserate on what a monumental fucking letdown this season/the chris beard era are. 

The woe me bullshit after each game from you and others is tiring. We get it, this team would be better off with Chris Beard at the helm. No one is fucking denying that yet you argue with the clouds about it every damn day. Yes, they aren’t playing as well as when they ran Gonzaga out of the gym and clobbered a bunch of cream puffs. I don’t need the constant reminders from you after every damn game, especially when you go on one of your famous rants after a fucking win like you did this past Tuesday. Declaring the season over when the team isn’t even halfway through conference play and is 6 and fucking 2 is hilarious. 

I watched Saint Fucking Peters and 10 seed Miami play in the elite eight last year and the national title game featured 8 seed North Carolina who lost to that Miami team by fucking 30 in the regular season, so excuse me for having some damn perspective about how basketball goes when March rolls around. About half of your luck in the tournament is determined by the bracket you draw and we have no clue what that is going to look like. I would think you of all people would understand how this goes after watching the hottest Texas team in some time lose to Abilene Christian in the round 1 and follow it up the next year by blowing a 20 point lead to TCU in the Big 12 tournament and then being a few minutes away from the sweet 16 a week later.

There is not one dominant team in college basketball this year. Every team has flaws including the one that we follow. I know we think we are the only thing who can’t play defense for 40 minutes in a row but then I turn on my TV and watch Houston lose at home to fucking Temple last week.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Texas has had 2022 TCU football type wins post Beard and their BIg 12 record is inflationary compared to the quality of play. It’s still impressive bc the B12 is brutal. The talent is there. The coaching is highly suspect. I hope we are just pearl clutching but the defense and a bunch of the offense no longer passes the eyeball test.

Correct.

I would only add that watching our half court offense is akin to watching paint dry. Just not a lot going on there.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:55 PM, shadow_operative said:

no, we need the coach who knows how to win with this kind of roster to not get arrested for felony domestic violence.

Don’t get me wrong.  I like this team.  A lot of talent and heart.  But, we got bounced from the tourney with Beard last year because our “bigs” were light in the ass.  Our bigs are still light in the ass and get pushed around by physical teams.  We are able to overcome it at times with good shooting and/or Marcus Carr putting up a crazy number.  But, when teams are getting 2nd and 3rd chances on possessions on the regular because they are clearing us out of the lane when the ball goes up, the lack of big bodies is pretty obvious.  Big teams are going to get us into foul trouble in the tourney.  

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, BarthHollamew said:

Don’t get me wrong.  I like this team.  A lot of talent and heart.  But, we got bounced from the tourney with Beard last year because our “bigs” were light in the ass.  Our bigs are still light in the ass and get pushed around by physical teams.  We are able to overcome it at times with good shooting and/or Marcus Carr putting up a crazy number.  But, when teams are getting 2nd and 3rd chances on possessions on the regular because they are clearing us out of the lane when the ball goes up, the lack of big bodies is pretty obvious.  Big teams are going to get us into foul trouble in the tourney.  

Hopefully we don't hit that team with size until the 2nd weekend.  

21 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

He and Shaka's early round face plants will be the wind beneath my wings. 

Not talking to you only, but if the Horns don’t survive and advance to the NCG, a not insignificant part of me hopes to see a Tennessee-Marquette final that ends in a tie so all the repetitive, petty heads here can finally explode and get it the fuck over with. 

Edited by Degenerate Gardner

9 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Not talking to you only, but if the Horns don’t survive and advance to the NCG, a not insignificant part of me hopes to see a Tennessee-Marquette final that ends in a tie so all the repetitive, petty heads here can finally explode and get it the fuck over with. 

Shoot, we all have to have dreams. I take no offense. 

That said, if that actually transpires, I hope for fiery car crashes in your future. Nothing personal. 

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2023 at 3:37 PM, Hookem2147 said:

The woe me bullshit after each game from you and others is tiring. We get it, this team would be better off with Chris Beard at the helm. No one is fucking denying that yet you argue with the clouds about it every damn day. Yes, they aren’t playing as well as when they ran Gonzaga out of the gym and clobbered a bunch of cream puffs. I don’t need the constant reminders from you after every damn game, especially when you go on one of your famous rants after a fucking win like you did this past Tuesday. Declaring the season over when the team isn’t even halfway through conference play and is 6 and fucking 2 is hilarious. 

I watched Saint Fucking Peters and 10 seed Miami play in the elite eight last year and the national title game featured 8 seed North Carolina who lost to that Miami team by fucking 30 in the regular season, so excuse me for having some damn perspective about how basketball goes when March rolls around. About half of your luck in the tournament is determined by the bracket you draw and we have no clue what that is going to look like. I would think you of all people would understand how this goes after watching the hottest Texas team in some time lose to Abilene Christian in the round 1 and follow it up the next year by blowing a 20 point lead to TCU in the Big 12 tournament and then being a few minutes away from the sweet 16 a week later.

There is not one dominant team in college basketball this year. Every team has flaws including the one that we follow. I know we think we are the only thing who can’t play defense for 40 minutes in a row but then I turn on my TV and watch Houston lose at home to fucking Temple last week.

just now reading your wall of text, because i assumed when you posted it that it was simply the extended version of your patented, "no complaining at all!" shtick. now i actually read it only to find out that it's you angrily saying to me the exact same shit ive been posting here since beard was fired.  specifically that this team is no longer a legit league title/national title contender, but that we can still hopefully watch our guys make a deep postseason run. how you've ended up yelling all of this back at me i'll never understand, but at least you're finally seeing the light.