2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

For how good their record is, it's crazy how screwed the Mariners are looking in their first playoff appearance in 17 years... I'm assuming they're not passing Houston, which I feel is a pretty good assumption. 

Fangraphs projects them to win 94, 4th highest in the majors.  If they do that, they get BOS/NYY for 1 game on the road. 

If they win that, they get to play either BOS/NYY/HOU in the ALDS. 

Dayum.

also with no ability to get homefield in any round.

of course that's not how the media is framing this.  i've already heard multiple paraphrased reports like, "how would you feel if you were the red sox or yankees, you win over a 100 games, and have to beat james paxton in a one game wildcard to advance, when they'll likely have 10-15 more wins than the wildcard team.  i would have to assume they'll look into an overall seeding process moving forward to remedy this."

um, ok.  so because of a season with likely three 100+ win a.l. teams is going to cause the complete restructure of mlb playoffs, because the yankees and red sox could possibly get screwed?  sounds about right. 

Choo extended his on base streak to 45 tonight.  The major league record is 84 games by Ted Williams.  That's amazing to me - over half a season of getting on base every game.  Tied for 2nd at 74 games are Joe DiMaggio and...another streak by Ted Williams.  DiMaggio's streak started with a game with a walk but no hits, then his 56 game hitting streak, then a walk in the game where the hitting streak was broken, and then a 16 game hitting streak.

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He’s not even a candidate in the final spot vote. 

That's stupid. I'm sure he'll ultimately make it in, but for him not to have been voted in by his peers is weak. Dude has been dominant this year. If David Price or Masahiro Tanaka had this type of anseason they'd be in the consideration to start the game.

Edited by Goo Punch

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

check out what it means to Wilson Contreras. I can't imagine growing up in Venezuela dreaming of coming to America to play baseball and then actually making it, winning a world series, and. ownbeing named an all star. so awesome.

Jose Altuve says hi, but adds an AL MVP award to the list.

11 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Brad Hand, most overrated reliever ever in for the bottom of the 15th.

Good Lord, the D-Backs have two guys 0-6 and another guy 0-7 in this game.  Just shit.

Brad Hand last year and this year:

120.2 IP

2.46 ERA

0.986 WHIP

165 K

12.3 K/9

2.6 BB/9

4.7 K/BB

45 saves 

that's nowhere close to "the most overrated reliever ever". that's a top 10reliever in the league during that time.

Just now, Goo Punch said:

Brad Hand last year and this year:

120.2 IP

2.46 ERA

0.986 WHIP

165 K

12.3 K/9

2.6 BB/9

4.7 K/BB

45 saves 

that's nowhere close to "the most overrated reliever ever". that's a top 10reliever in the league during that time.

I just know he has never pitched in a critical game and the 10 times I’ve watched him he’s blown it at least 5 of those times.  Not exactly elite status there.

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Chapman plays in important games against good teams.  Hand gets stats against absolute shit teams.

those stats are over 120 major league innings, and he pitches in the NL West whose third place team last year won 87 games (the DBacks and Dodgers won 93 and 104 respectively). And this year it's the only division in baseball with 4 teams that are over .500. so, you're wrong.

• Like 1