2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

How many players go from the All-Star game to A-ball in less than a year?

He's going to A-Ball to because that's where the Twins extended spring training coaching staff is and they can better help him with his swing, not because the Twins feel he's an A-ball talent. He's also got a well documented attitude, work ethic, and weight problem, and he dealt with that (now proven false) sexual assault accusation in the off-season. He's not exactly a typical case. 

oh my god, i k ow he's not being demoted to single a, i'm saying that you never see a guy who isnt injured go from the all star game to the minors in less than a year. the fact that's it's the single A club is just the cherry on top.

Edited by Goo Punch

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

oh my god, i k ow he's not being demoted to single a, i'm saying that you never see a guy who isnt injured go from the all star game to the minors in less than a year.

Off the top of my head -- Bryan LaHair, Shelby Miller, Jeff Locke, and Steven Vogt all did that, IIRC. 

Probably more than that, but I wasted fantasy roster spots on three of these guys.  

Off the top of my head -- Bryan LaHair, Shelby Miller, Jeff Locke, and Steven Vogt all did that, IIRC. 

Probably more than that, but I wasted fantasy roster spots on three of these guys.  

Also Aledmys Diaz last year and Yasiel Puig a year or two before that IIRC.

So I went and looked at an Orioles board and man is it depressing.  They have a thread comparing this year to that '88 team.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31993-1988-v-2018-wl-tracker/

There's also the fact that Chris Davis was on pace for the worst season in the fangraphs database.  They've recently said they're benching him though so I guess he won't play enough to set the record.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/author/jayjaffe/

• Like 1

also not to nitpick, but i can think of a dozen stranger things than leblanc's pitching this year; there's a million guys on the fantasy waiver wire pitching just like him. sign of the times though; whole bunch of guys having surprising years all over the place. i don't recall seeing this many no-name stars across the sport.

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

also not to nitpick, but i can think of a dozen stranger things than leblanc's pitching this year; there's a million guys on the fantasy waiver wire pitching just like him. sign of the times though; whole bunch of guys having surprising years all over the place. i don't recall seeing this many no-name stars across the sport.

I need to play in your fantasy league then lol. And I would disagree, the top 10 pitchers and hitters by fWAR are all players I would consider to be stars

17 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Such as:

ross stripling, jean segura, eddie rosario, edwin diaz, trevor story, scooter gennett, miles mikolas, nick markakis are all in the top 35 overall on the player rater.  and there have been a ton of guys who have put together 5-6 good to great starts in a row and have been great for streaming.

guys outside the top 50 (not counting injured dudes) : charlie blackmon, craig kimbrel, carlos correa, paul goldschmidt, trea turner, bryce harper.  guys like stanton and votto are out of the top 100 or close.

but yeah, come on into the shaggy league.  i'm sure you'll dominate.

juan soto just homered in the end of suspended game to give the nats a 5-3 win.

per espn:

-may 15th : nyy/wsh game suspended

-may 20 : juan soto makes mlb debut

-today : game continues from may 15; juan soto hits pinch-hit hr

-hr is not considered 1st career hr, but does count as hr on may 15

-juan soto technically hit a mlb hr 5 days before his mlb debut, but it's not his 1st hr

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

ross stripling, jean segura, eddie rosario, edwin diaz, trevor story, scooter gennett, miles mikolas, nick markakis are all in the top 35 overall on the player rater.  and there have been a ton of guys who have put together 5-6 good to great starts in a row and have been great for streaming.

guys outside the top 50 (not counting injured dudes) : charlie blackmon, craig kimbrel, carlos correa, paul goldschmidt, trea turner, bryce harper.  guys like stanton and votto are out of the top 100 or close.

but yeah, come on into the shaggy league.  i'm sure you'll dominate.

All those you mention have been great but other than Stripling and maybe Markakis, they all should have been drafted in normal 12 team leagues.

And I suspect the guys you mention will be top 50 by EOS. Goldy has been unconscious lately. Same with Correa.

Just now, TheFlagship said:

All those you mention have been great but other than Stripling and maybe Markakis, they all should have been drafted in normal 12 team leagues.

And I suspect the guys you mention will be top 50 by EOS. Goldy has been unconscious lately. Same with Correa.

Still, nobody had any of those guys as top 35 players through 3 weeks in June. The number of guys, particularly pitchers, who are having great years, or like hg said 5-6 consecutive great starts, is pretty shocking. 

Yeah I agree there’s a good amount of streamers this year which is probably due to the amount of garbage teams this year (looking at you AL Central)

But at least in my league, the top 20 starters are Scherzer, Verlander, Kluber, Cole, Severino, deGrom, Nola, Bauer, Sale and Paxton (top 10) then Snell, Morton, Corbin, Mikolas, Porcello, Lester, Berrios, Newcomb, McCullers, and Happ (next 10). Certainly some surprises and overachievers there, but nothing too crazy IMO

Look there's more no-name/unexpected talent than I've ever seen before.

Players drafted between 30-50 in the shaggy league: Seager, DeGrom, Yelich, Verlander, Kimbrel, Cruz, Cano, Keuchel, Ozuna...the usual suspects. Cy Youngs, Silver Sluggers, perennial All Stars, world champions...

Players actually ranked between 30-50 right now: Ross Stripling, Michael Brantley, Miles Mikolas, Pat Corbin, Blake Snell, Mitch Haniger, Eduardo Escobar, Brad Hand, Josh Hader, Ozzie Albies, Eugenio Suarez, Blake Trienen. How many of those guys were drafted outside the top 100? 150? Undrafted? I've been playing fantasy baseball since 1995 and I've never seen this many dominant players (heading towards the All Star break) who were afterhtoughts on draft night. Totally unexpected.

I would definitely be interested in seeing what year had the biggest variance in ADP vs actual ranking. I personally feel like last year had more breakout hitters. Albies and Haniger were pretty hyped by mid March (Albies has struggled the last month, unfortunately for me as he’s my starting 2B)