2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

18 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

how did the padres manage to save their best reliever for the 15th and 16th inning when the dbacks are rolling out a position player?

Dbacks used 3 pitchers early for less than an inning.  All the Padres pitchers went at least a full inning.

24 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

those stats are over 120 major league innings, and he pitches in the NL West whose third place team last year won 87 games (the DBacks and Dodgers won 93 and 104 respectively). And this year it's the only division in baseball with 4 teams that are over .500. so, you're wrong.

The Padres get blown out on a regular basis by those good teams so he doesn’t get save opportunities against them.  Last year he pitched in 72 games, 12 of them were against LA and Arizona and he got 4 saves.

So you’re wrong.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

Wow. we're just making stuff up now. alright. one time i saw brad hand perform a tracheotomy on an airplane with one of those little red plastic swords you get in your cocktail. saved a ugandan refugee's life. and it was a big plane, a very important plane, the type of plane that would never get blown out by the dodgers. and he performed the procedure with aplomb. and after six scotches no less. the man's a hero.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

just now home and catching up.  holy shit, snell is not an all star?

not only is he squarely in the conversation for al cy young, but he's put up his ridiculous numbers facing would-be playoff contenders (hou x2, sea x2, bos x2, nyy x2, oak, atl, wash) 11 times total.

he should be taking george springer's slot right now.

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The Padres get blown out on a regular basis by those good teams so he doesn’t get save opportunities against them.  Last year he pitched in 72 games, 12 of them were against LA and Arizona and he got 4 saves.

So you’re wrong.

lol, no I'm not. you went from "well i've only seem him a few times and he underwhelmed me therefore he sucks", to looking up his stats after the fact and disingenuously posting them here. "he only got 4 saves in 12 appearances." gee, did he blow 8 save chances, or could it be that's because he wasn't even the Padres closer until the end of July last year?

You have no idea what you're talking about, you've admitted as much, and yet you're in here arguing about him like you're a Brad Hand expert. You're clueless. "He racks up stats against shit teams". Yeah, because that's a thing in baseball. 🙄 You took a relief pitcher who, while he's actually pretty damn good, isn't rated all that highly by anyone, and you called him "the most overrated reliever ever". You were wrong. Just drop it.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

lol, no I'm not. you went from "well i've only seem him a few times and he underwhelmed me therefore he sucks", to looking up his stats after the fact and disingenuously posting them here. "he only got 4 saves in 12 appearances." gee, did he blow 8 save chances, or could it be that's because he wasn't even the Padres closer until the end of July last year?

You have no idea what you're talking about, you've admitted as much, and yet you're in here arguing about him like you're a Brad Hand expert. You're clueless. "He racks up stats against shit teams". Yeah, because that's a thing in baseball. 🙄 You took a relief pitcher who, while he's actually pretty damn good, isn't rated all that highly by anyone, and you called him "the most overrated reliever ever". You were wrong. Just drop it.

I didn't say he sucked, just that he's not the end-all-be-all closer that a lot in the media try to make him out to be (don't take it personal, I didn't say you were one of the fellators of Brad Hand cock).  

So again, you're wrong... and uhhh, fuck off.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I didn't say he sucked, just that he's not the end-all-be-all closer that a lot in the media try to make him out to be (don't take it personal, I didn't say you were one of the fellators of Brad Hand cock).  

You should do the world a favor and post less.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

those stats are over 120 major league innings, and he pitches in the NL West whose third place team last year won 87 games (the DBacks and Dodgers won 93 and 104 respectively). And this year it's the only division in baseball with 4 teams that are over .500. so, you're wrong.

Edited by Dondrysdale1
Duplicate

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Brad Hand is soooooooooo overrated right

Man.

When the Baltimore Orioles signed first baseman Chris Davis to a seven-year, $161 million contract in 2016, they thought they were paying for one of baseball’s premier sluggers. What they have instead is, by some measures, a player on track to have the worst single season in the history of the sport.

Let’s start with something simple: batting average. After Sunday’s 1-for-4 effort, Davis is hitting .157. No player who qualified for the batting title since 1900 has ever hit below .179, an ignominious honor that belongs to Rob Deer with the 1991 Detroit Tigers and Dan Uggla of the 2013 Atlanta Braves.

As for Davis, despite appearing in 73 of the Orioles’ 89 contests, he has scored just 16 runs, which would put him on pace for 29, or .18 per team game. That puts him in the territory of Mario Guerrero, who scored 27 runs for the 1978 Oakland Athletics despite compiling 546 plate appearances.

Then there’s the matter of wins above replacement, or WAR, a popular metric in the analytics community designed to measure a player’s total value. By that measure, Davis is on pace to finish 2018 at around minus-4, or four wins worse than a typical Triple-A call-up, according to Baseball-Reference. That’s only happened once ever: Jerry Royster had a minus-4 WAR for the Atlanta Braves in 1977, hitting .216 in 445 at-bats and committing 28 errors between shortstop, second base and third base.

In reality, these records are difficult to break, because teams rarely allow players struggling this badly to stay on the field. But the Orioles have the worst record in the majors. When it comes to Davis, they really don’t have anything to lose.

i think hand is overrated by aj preller/the top brass in sd.  for the second year in a row, he'll be one of the top bullpen lefties available, and they'll fail to move him because they'll ask for the sun and the moon and kyle tucker.

Why should they be antsy to move him? He’s on a team friendly contract through 2021.

12 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Why should they be antsy to move him? He’s on a team friendly contract through 2021.

they don't have to move anyone as far as i'm concerned.  i just remember hearing/reading about them engaging in trade talks only to have the other side walk out over ridiculous asking prices.  as a fan of a team that traded all their talent, stripped down to the bone, and rebuilt successfully, it's something absolutely necessary to accelerate the process, even though it stings to lose good players.

not to mention a closer (and a lefty) under a team friendly deal is worth a lot more to another team now than to the padres in 2019-2020.

they don't have to move anyone as far as i'm concerned.  i just remember hearing/reading about them engaging in trade talks only to have the other side walk out over ridiculous asking prices.  as a fan of a team that traded all their talent, stripped down to the bone, and rebuilt successfully, it's something absolutely necessary to accelerate the process, even though it stings to lose good players. not to mention a closer (and a lefty) under a team friendly deal is worth a lot more to another team now than to the padres in 2019-2020.

Presumably they don’t sign Hosmer unless they believe they’re already on the other side of their rebuild. Their big prospects (Tatis, Urias, Gore, Baez) should all be up before Hand’s current deal expires.

Kyle Tucker also doesn’t seem a crazy demand for 3.5 years of Hand when three months of Chapman fetched Gleyber Torres.

Rangers fans were glad to finally unload Davis to Baltimore. Then everyone laughed at the rangers for giving up on him too early. Now everyone is starting to laugh at Baltimore for giving him that contract. 
Maybe they should move him to the bullpen full time. 
Seems like forever ago that Baltimore was in the ALCS.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:
3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:
Rangers fans were glad to finally unload Davis to Baltimore. Then everyone laughed at the rangers for giving up on him too early. Now everyone is starting to laugh at Baltimore for giving him that contract. 
Maybe they should move him to the bullpen full time. 

Seems like forever ago that Baltimore was in the ALCS.

Baltimore-KC were in the ALCS 4 years ago. They are now on pace to be two of the worst teams in recent memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Kyle Tucker also doesn’t seem a crazy demand for 3.5 years of Hand when three months of Chapman fetched Gleyber Torres.

No it just seems less crazy than the price paid for Chapman.  Still plenty crazy though.

We’ve got one HR Derby entrant. 

Los Angeles Dodgers slugger Max Muncy says he will participate in the Home Run Derby next Monday at Nationals Park in Washington.

Muncy is also a candidate for the All-Star Final Vote with a roster spot on the National League All-Star team at stake.

The infielder, appearing Monday on AM 570 radio in Los Angeles, said Dodgers hitting coach Turner Ward will pitch to him during the Home Run Derby.

Muncy, 27, leads the Dodgers with 20 home runs. He has hit a home run every 10 at-bats this season, better than the career rates of the top-three home run hitters in major league history: Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth.

Muncy's resurgence has been one of the surprise stories in baseball this season. Released by the Oakland Athletics after two unimpressive seasons -- he batted .206 in 2015 and .186 in 2016 -- he was signed to a minor league contract by the Dodgers in 2017. He spent the season in the minors and was called up on April 17, 2018.

He reached 20 home runs on Wednesday in only his 183rd at-bat of 2018, making him the fastest to get there in Dodgers history, according to Elias Sports Bureau research. Muncy had managed only five home runs in his first 96 major league games.

The 27-year-old credited a restructured approach, which has him crouching lower into his batting stance and getting more upward trajectory with his swing.

"I've always felt the power was there," Muncy said last week. "It's just my swing wasn't built for hitting home runs before, whereas now, I feel like I get myself in a better position to use it."

New York Yankees slugger Aaron Judge, who won last year's Home Run Derby, has said he will not participate this year.

Passan’s first-half ballots. 

And yet none of it matches up to what a 22-year-old named …

Gareth Morgan has done in the low reaches of the minor leagues this season. Morgan is a monster athlete, 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, rangy enough to play center field. He’s got big power, enough that the Seattle Mariners drafted him 74th overall in 2014.

What Morgan has done is so incredible it supersedes that of every major league accomplishment to earn the Most Amazing Number of the first half. Actually, it’s quite a few numbers. The first: Morgan has struck out in all 66 games he has played this season. The second, even better: In 235 at-bats this season, he has punched out 154 times. And actually, for those who care to include his final six games last season, the streak is at 72 games with 166 strikeouts in 260 at-bats.

https://sports.yahoo.com/10-degrees-forget-star-snubs-first-half-baseball-awards-far-interesting-060643878.html

• Like 1

And we have a Ken Giles meltdown.

It's hilarious that neither Giles or Allen get a blown save because they were pitching with such big leads, but the guys who relieved them do.

Tonight just gets more and more bizarre...not only with the Bregman walkoff, but Tito wanted Oliver Perez (O.P.) after Allen. He called down to the bullpen to get him up but the bullpen heard “O.T.”, nickname for righty Dan Otero...who came in for his 4th game in 5 days and promptly gave up a bases clearing double to Votto:

Dan Otero stood on the dugout steps at Wrigley Field as he pondered the origin of his nickname with the Indians.

Since he joined the club nearly three years ago, his teammates and coaches have referred to him as O.T. That afternoon on the North Side of Chicago, a teammate approached the dugout railing and joined the conversation, joking that Otero’s actual nickname is “Douchebag.”

Well, had that been the case, the Indians might have escaped Tuesday’s meltdown against the Reds at Progressive Field. (Otero is actually a nice guy and a family man, so that moniker probably wouldn’t apply.)

The Indians’ bullpen has relinquished leads ad nauseam this season. The unit, with a hearty push from Terry Francona and Carl Willis, plummeted to new depths on Tuesday, though.

As Cody Allen floundered and the Reds turned over their lineup, Francona told his pitching coach to dial up the bullpen for “O.P.” That’s the nickname assigned to southpaw Oliver Pérez. (You see where this is going, don’t you?)

Willis thought the skipper said “O.T.” So, Otero started warming, preparing for his fourth appearance in five days.

“The phone rang,” Otero said. “I was told to warm up, so I warmed up as fast as I could.”

The Reds trimmed the Indians’ advantage to 4-3 and loaded the bases with two outs. As Joey Votto strutted toward the plate, Francona exited the dugout to summon a new reliever.

Only, it wasn’t the reliever he was anticipating. Francona appeared to motion with his left arm, but only a righty awaited. The bullpen door swung open, and out jogged Otero to the mound.

“Not the guy I was expecting,” Francona said.

Once a pitcher enters, he’s required to face at least one batter.

Votto vs. righties this season: .332/.454/.507 slash line

Votto vs. lefties this season: .216/.370/.324 slash line

“He’s tough, man,” Votto said. “I’ve never liked facing him. Today was one of those occasions where I got a good pitch to hit, I put it in play and good things happen.”

Votto tagged Otero for a bases-clearing double. Otero intentionally walked Scooter Gennett, another lefty hitter. Eugenio Suárez then smacked an RBI single to hand Cincinnati a three-run lead.

“I thought I heard ‘O.T.’ ” Willis said. “Frankly, I should’ve asked him to repeat it. But, I got Otero up. I actually sat down and looked at my matchup sheet. You know, Votto is 0-for-4 off of Otero. You know, it’s a ground-ball guy that we trust. And, quite frankly, heart of hearts, I felt like Cody was going to get out of the situation. But, I made the mistake — got the wrong guy up. It’s not that he can’t get the job done, but it probably wasn’t the best matchup.”

That’s quite an understatement.

Otero vs. righties this season: .189/.223/.389 slash line

Otero vs. lefties this season: .348/.362/.739 slash line

“That one lands squarely on me,” Francona said. “There’s no getting around it. I have to be responsible for that.”

We can opt to debate nicknames. (D.O. seems more applicable than O.T., and Ollie would make more sense than O.P. if Tyler Olson weren’t already Oly. And, yes, every player on every team has a nickname; that happens when you spend every waking second of eight months with the same group of people.) But this is yet another notch on the futility belt of a bumbling bullpen.

The Indians rank last in the majors with a bullpen ERA of 5.37. That’s not a number that one healthy Andrew Miller can fully alleviate. The emergences of Pérez and Neil Ramírez have helped, but this puzzle is still missing some critical pieces. Allen can’t always be perfect, and he’s been a bit more imperfect than usual this season. Injuries have sidelined Miller for the majority of the season. Otero and Zach McAllister haven’t found their footing. The team has cycled through minor-league call-ups, veteran castoffs, kids who fire the ball back onto the field from the outfield seats.

Last season, Indians relievers allowed 157 earned runs. This season — and we haven’t even reached the All-Star break — Indians relievers have allowed 146 earned runs. They wasted eight brilliant innings from Trevor Bauer on Tuesday, and their losing streak mushroomed to four games as they tread water in the sorry AL Central.

“He deserved to win that game,” Allen said. “I didn’t do my job and took that away from him. This is a resilient group. It’s a really talented group. We’ve been through trials and tribulations before. And we’ll be all right. We’re fortunate to have five really good starting pitchers and some really good bats in our lineup.”

Every non-contending team should be plugging away at Chris Antonetti’s cellphone with trade offers involving their relievers. Of course, they better annunciate when making one.