2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

Problem is they won't be able to resign all of Lindor, Ramirez, Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco and others.  So while their current window certainly isn't just a year it's most definitely 3-4 years.  At which point they will have to rebuild.  Their rebuild won't be a Cubs, Astros or Miami type rebuild but I doubt they are competing for anything in 5 years.

1 minute ago, DanRydell said:

So I guess Kyle Tucker wasn't an insane ask after all

Difference is Mejia is blocked by Gomes who is a solid catcher in his own right.

Tucker isn’t blocked by anyone. I think Astros fans would’ve been furious to give him up for 2 relievers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Problem is they won't be able to resign all of Lindor, Ramirez, Kluber, Bauer, Carrasco and others.  So while their current window certainly isn't just a year it's most definitely 3-4 years.  At which point they will have to rebuild.  Their rebuild won't be a Cubs, Astros or Miami type rebuild but I doubt they are competing for anything in 5 years.

they almost won the world series in 2016.  a 6 year window is pretty big.  i felt like the royals had a 3 year window with a 100% assured dropoff.  cleve won't resign all those guys, but i would assume some.

50 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

they almost won the world series in 2016.  a 6 year window is pretty big.  i felt like the royals had a 3 year window with a 100% assured dropoff.  cleve won't resign all those guys, but i would assume some.

yeah, agreed. as far as "windows" go the indians appear to be in the middle of one that's going to last longer than most.

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, agreed. as far as "windows" go the indians appear to be in the middle of one that's going to last longer than most.

And it still might be another 2-3 years before the AL Central is anything above complete garbage. Indians can make the post season every year by simply not having their plane crash. 

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

They need to get Lindor locked up ASAP.

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Saw the Indians trade went down today. Was that a good deal? Hand is under control for a few years and has good stats. Seems kind of pricey. I just want to see them win one World Series before I die.

They gave up a lot but as has been discussed they are pretty much in win now mode before their window closes.

Hand is a very good lefty reliever with a wipeout slider. he had a rough week or two just before the break, but from April 3rd - June 13th he was lights out.

Brad Hand Pitching Gamelogs for Career Games 247 to 276

Date Tm
per 162 games
Apr 3 to Jun 13, 2018 SDP
Date Tm G GS GF CG Rslt Dec DR IP H R ER BB SO HR HBP ERA BF BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip Pit Str StL StS GB FB LD PU Unk GSc IR IS SB CS PO AB 2B 3B IBB GDP SF ROE aLI WPA RE24 DFS(DK) DFS(FD)
per 162 games 69 0 53 0     4 74 35 19 12 32 114 5 10   291           1206             7 0   35   0 0 0 248 10 0 0 10 0 3   4.3 22.7 334 554
Apr 3 to Jun 13, 2018 SDP 30 0 23 0 26-4 W-L:1-2,Sv:21,BSv:1,Hld:3 1.5 32.1 15 8 5 14 50 2 4 1.39 128 .138 .260 .229 .489 .228 532 62% 22% 13% 1.00   30% 3% 0   15 0% 0 0 0 109 4 0 0 4 0 1 2.04 1.662 9.79 146.95 244.00
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I have said this before -- I think Mejia is going to be a perennial All-Star.

This is a huge return for a relief pitcher that our resident expert thinks is overrated.

Cimber adds a lot of value to that deal.  Service clock just started this season and he looks like he could be one of the most dominant relievers in the league against RHB.  

Oh I missed the Cimber guy being in the deal. Well that makes it better, 2 bull pen pitchers that are better than what they got now for the most part. The last game I watched was one where they were up like 4-0 for 8 innings, then they pull Bauer and gave up 7 runs in the 9th. Pretty sad to see, probably just a fluke, but seemed very Ken Giles-ish. Plus, the Indians need more cost-controlled assets, they don't have the market to keep a lot of the guys coming up for renewal in 2-4 years.