2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

On 7/24/2018 at 11:31 PM, Helobious said:

The Yankees have owned Houston & Boston this year. It’s the fluky one game wild card anything can happen shit that is concerning if it gets to that.

The Yankees are 5-4 against Boston this year.  That isn't anywhere close to owning them you stupid fuck.

• Like 3

Y'all see this fan interference call in HOU@COL last night?

https://www.mlb.com/video/bregman-out-on-interference/c-2310157083?tid=63817564

I usually defer on the side of interference, especially when the fan is wearing the jersey of the team that hit the ball, but I don't think Parra was going to catch this.

The rule does say "could have caught the ball" instead of "would have caught the ball," so I guess that gives the replay ump some wiggle room.

Also, the Rockies have the worst announcers in the NL.

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I usually defer on the side of interference, especially when the fan is wearing the jersey of the team that hit the ball, but I don't think Parra was going to catch this.

The rule does say "could have caught the ball" instead of "would have caught the ball," so I guess that gives the replay ump some wiggle room.

I think this was one of those plays that will piss off one team no matter what.  As an Astros fan I was annoyed at the call, but I can see how on a 50/50 ball like that, you'd be inclined to rule against the dude in the Astros jersey on the road.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spystud13 said:

This Saturday (the 28th) @ 4 & 5p are back to back replays on MLBN about the ‘90s Indians & Braves, both good. 

Thanks. 

The 1988 Dodger episode... The Gibson home run is one of 2 sporting events that I remember like it was yesterday (other was Miracle on Ice). 

But I had completely forgotten how epic the 1988 NLCS was.   Hershisher started games 1 & 3 and the Dodgers lost both?!??!  Game 4, the Mets had a 2-run lead in the 9th with Dwight Fucking Gooden on the mound and Mike Scioscia homered to send it to extras?  Hershisher came in (the day after his start) in the 12th to get the save?  And then he threw a shutout in Game 7...

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Shitty umps overall in that series.  They missed a balk the night before on a successful pick off throw to first.

Can’t believe I’m even asking this question, but if you’re the nationals, do you trade Bryce Harper? 7 games back of the braves for the division, and 5.5 back of the 2nd wild card with 6 teams ahead of you. They’re 1 game under .500. They aren’t making the playoffs (most likely), and if you can say that with confidence, don’t you HAVE to trade him? No way in hell he’s resigning.

also, I apologize if this has already been discussed. Haven’t followed this thread as religiously as I do others because we’re in the dog days of the baseball season and the rangers are trash.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

16 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Can’t believe I’m even asking this question, but if you’re the nationals, do you trade Bryce Harper?

I almost brought this up the other day...

My answer is hell fucking yes you do. 

That team is dogshit, and I think Dave Martinez is part of the problem.  Neither of those things is going to change over the next two months, so pull the trigger on any reasonable offer.

23 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Can’t believe I’m even asking this question, but if you’re the nationals, do you trade Bryce Harper? 7 games back of the braves for the division, and 5.5 back of the 2nd wild card with 6 teams ahead of you. They’re 1 game under .500. They aren’t making the playoffs (most likely), and if you can say that with confidence, don’t you HAVE to trade him? No way in hell he’s resigning.

also, I apologize if this has already been discussed. Haven’t followed this thread as religiously as I do others because we’re in the dog days of the baseball season and the rangers are trash.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/7/26/17615560/should-washington-nationals-trade-bryce-harper-houston-astros

Jeff Pearlman theathletic.com:

We love witnessing sports history.

Which, in and of itself, is weird, because history isn’t history until it’s history. For example,  on June 10, 1985, Herschel Walker of the USFL’s New Jersey Generals broke Eric Dickerson’s all-time single-season rushing record in a game against the Jacksonville Bulls at the Meadowlands. Charley Steiner, the team’s radio voice, raved of Walker “running his way into history,” and his 2,411 yards from that season remains a professional gridiron record.

At most, four living homo Sapiens know this to be true.

That is not sports history.

No, sports history is doing something so extraordinary, so insanely remarkable that it can never, ever, ever be matched. History is Roger Maris hitting 61 home runs under the weight of an antagonistic commissioner and Babe Ruth’s ghost. History is Roger Bannister becoming the first man to clear the four-minute mile. History is Nadia Comaneci’s first-ever perfect 10 at the Montreal Olympics. History is Jackie Robinson and Billie Jean King and Perry Wallace and …

Chris Davis’ ongoing season for the Baltimore Orioles.

Stop laughing.

As we speak, Davis—the once-upon-a-time All-Star first baseman—is putting up numbers on a Major League diamond that have never been duplicated. At Tuesday’s closing bell, he had used 307 at-bats to give manager Buck Showalter’s club a .153 average, 10 home runs and 30 RBI. In the modern annals of the sport, only two big leaguers—Detroit’s Rob Deer (.179 in 1991) and Atlanta’s Dan Uggla (.179 in 2013)—have batted .185 or below in a regular season. There is a third man who, save for having played in the early 1900s, belongs on the list as well. His name was John Gochnaur, and as Cleveland’s starting shortstop, he hit a Jeff Pearlman-esque .185 in the back-to-back seasons of 1902 and 1903. Which might suggest the 5-foot-9 Altoona, Pa. product was gifted with a glove of the gods, but for the fact that his 48 errors in 1902 were exceeded by his 98 errors (yes, ninety-eight errors) the following year. Wrote Larry Stone of the Seattle Times: “Such a rare combination of graceless defense and inept offense deserves to be memorialized.”

Indeed.

A moment of silence for John Gochnaur.

Thank you.

For all of Gochnaur’s awfulness, the 1903 Cleveland Naps (as they were known at the time) still went 77-63. The Orioles, on the other hand, are 29-73—and buried beneath the weight of Davis’ seven-year, $161 million deal. Truly, there is no escape. When the contract was initially signed in the 2016 offseason, the Orioles thought they were locking up an elite slugger approaching his 30th birthday; one who once clubbed 53 homers and who twice cleared 100 RBIs. Was it a somewhat risky business decision? Sure—Davis has twice led the league in strikeouts, and he only once hit above .270 as a regular. He was an excellent—not transcendent—player. Still, the move was lauded in a city with a long and painful history of having its non-Ripken superstars (and franchises) come and go.

“I don’t know how many places I went this year where people said, ‘You’ve got to sign Chris Davis,’” Dan Duquette, the team’s executive vice president, said at the press conference. “So I know he’s got a lot of fans in Baltimore that follow the team and love to see his prodigious home runs.”

That was then.

Of the 163 players who currently qualify for the batting title, Davis ranks 163rd in average WAR, OPS and OPS+, and 162nd in on-base percentage and slugging percentage. He recently broke his franchise’s all-time record for strikeouts, and his WAR (-3.9) eclipses the all-time best (well, worst) of -4.0 brought to the planet by Atlanta’s Jerry Royster in 1977 (In his defense, at least the Braves’ infielder stole 28 bases). When I asked a 10-year retired Major Leaguer whether he could attend a month of spring training right now, then clear .150, he laughed. “I don’t need a month,” he said, requesting anonymity. “Rust or not rust, .153 is a joke.”

I then asked a Major League advance scout to put Davis’ run in perspective, and he was no less sympathetic. “You have to work to be that brutal,” he said. “For 100 at-bats in a month you have 15 (.150) hits instead of 25 (.250).  That’s a 10-hit difference.  If you have four at-bats each day, you’re talking about two-to-three hits a week he is not getting. I would say, if he is playing every day, and being with the same team and all, in an environment that he has succeeded in, and healthy, I would say hitting .153 is really, really hard.”

Luckily, Davis is not alone in probing the depths of all-time athletic putridity. For every Jack Nicklaus and his 18 majors, for every Michael Phelps and his 23 gold medals, sports history makes room for all comers. Cardinals quarterback Ryan Lindley attempted 228 throws before connecting for a touchdown in 2014. Between 1987-2005, middleweight boxer Reggie Strickland lost 276 professional fights (bright side: 66 victories). And back in 1997, I was witness to one of the more glorious moments in NBA lore, when a New Jersey Nets center named Yinka Dare ended an unmatched-by-anyone streak of 76-straight games without an assist by completing a successful pass to teammate Lloyd Daniels.

When Dare died of a heart attack 14 years ago, his obituary mentioned very little of an NBA career that spanned four seasons and included almost nothing of note.

It did, however, speak of the assist.

Of making history.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Yes, they should at least consider it and may be forced to......

However, the Nats have one of the easiest schedules going into the deadline (Miami and Mets), so it wouldn't be surprising to see them win a few this weekend and decide to buy..... But if they really know he won't re-sign or the probabilities are very low, then they should cash out now.  They have Juan Soto as their next star and replenish their system and get ready for next year.  They could even be slightly better if they sell off correctly and have a productive winter.

Well obviously they won’t get the haul they’re looking for, but they’re about to get nothing for him while also missing the playoffs. And I know they have the Mets and the marlins coming up, but you’re really counting on a lot of the teams ahead of you to fall apart. I just don’t see it. Just get what you can for him at the deadline, try to resign him, fail, and move on. 

at the very least you gotta shop him.  and if anyone with half a brain is working in their fo, that's already happening.  internally they know better than anyone not directly connected to bryce himself what his chances of resigning are.  if you give him a 20% chance of resigning, does that really change much if you trade him?  maybe it goes down to 15%?

letting him walk and getting pretty minimal compensation (assuming they throw a qo at him) is just stupidity.  they're a couple moves + some unexpected hot streaks + assumed health + a whole bunch of luck away from winning one playoff series (which they've never done).  they're not going to the world series.

i don't think they'll end up trading him, because it'll be like that guy in fantasy football that drafted his favorite player and will never ever be happy with an offer, but yeah, they should be looking into it.

small children should not be allowed in these seats, period.

Maybe I've just become a ninny since having kids, but somebody is going to die. We have technology that gives us hair thin fibers with enough tensile strength to hold up bowling balls. Nets should be mandatory for the first few rows, which get the real screamers off the bat.

Also, note to parent... next time remember to sit between the kids and home plate.

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

small children should not be allowed in these seats, period.

Jesus Christ that’s scary stuff right there. They need to go ahead and put netting all the way into short left field so we don’t have to count on 40+ middle aged men saving people because they brought their gloves. Especially when you think about how glued everyone is to their smartphones.