TexMex

Smax

• 4 weeks later...

Goode Company Cantina is probably my favorite spot in Houston. 

I think your favorite texmex place slowly evolves into the best place near your house. Ninfa’s on Navigation is probably better, but it’s a 20 minute drive both ways. 

El T has been very solid lately.

I like Los Tios, but it’s not destination texmex. Good happy hour and lunch specials, good drinks, but not the kind of place where I’d throw down $40 for fajitas. 

I’ve had some bad luck with cheap texmex places lately and my wife thinks anything cheaper than Los Cucos is dog food, so they’ll probably get phased out. 

I mean, you don’t have to compromise on what is your favorite for what is convenient. My favorites, Lopez and Teotihuacan, are not convenient anymore (well Lopez never was). But still by far my favorite spots. Tia Maria is not too bad a drive and solid.

Los Cucos I don’t think I would feed to my dogs.

Los Cucos is good. I don’t care. Flame me. I will acknowledge they’ve slipped some and closed a lot of locations. Their ritas have never been good. 

Tia Maria’s is probably the gold standard of really cheap texmex. I think their lunch specials were about $6 pre covid. It’s solid, but I wouldn’t venture very far from tacos and enchiladas. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/28/2022 at 12:02 AM, tx 3 putt said:

https://houston.eater.com/maps/houston-best-tex-mex-mexican-restaurants

pretty good list, lot of new places to try out

It was a good list until referenced the Mediterranean Tex Max place and Gringo’s. 

Solid list otherwise, but it does slant pretty gringo. A Mexican American food critic living in Houston could probably come up with a better list. 

On 12/14/2021 at 8:19 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Bro, not even close. Barnaby Cafe or BB’s 

On 12/15/2021 at 11:06 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Barnaby’s makes a very good cheap steak. Why would you single them out? 

BB’s with the exception of the White Oak location, does in fact suck. 

BB's is ass and it's frustrating because it should be a lot better - it's a great concept.

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wrong.gif

I told my dad - I have a buddy, makes everyone call him Swazye. 

my dad - he don’t sound right

me - correct, but he’s a good guy. He swears up and down that Teo is the best Mexican food ever made. 

my dad - he’s crazy 😂😂

• Like 1

I told my dad - I have a buddy, makes everyone call him Swazye. 

my dad - he don’t sound right
me - correct, but he’s a good guy. He swears up and down that Teo is the best Mexican food ever made. 

my dad - he’s crazy

So your pops wants to fight? Roundhouse to the face? Tell him to meet me in Barrio Denver Harbor next to the tortilleria at 3pm. I don’t know if it’s the best ever, but better than that overrated and overpriced bullshit at el Tiempo that gringo yuppies love. The enchiladas Rojas and tacos al carbon are on point.
  • Like 1

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

its on the same level as TEO

A lot of Tex Mex places in Houston are pretty similar. So I separate them into margarita or beer joints. A good margarita is simple, but expensive. Four ingredients: 

- 100% blue agave tequila 

- Orange liqueur 

- lime juice 

- salt

Many, many places with good food get cute with their margaritas and make it some sugary bullshit to save money. Unfortunately you need to go to a high end Tex Mex place for a good rita

Good food, beer only :

- Tia Maria 

- Los Cucos

- Teo (sad but true)

- Chula’s 

Somewhat good food, good ritas: 

- Cyclone

- Escanlante’s 

- Lupe Tortilla (the original is an exception)

- Los Tios 

Good food, good ritas:

- Sylvia’s (borderline, but it’s good)

- El T 

- Little Pappasito’s 

- Ninfa’s (Navigation only) 

- Goode Co Cantina

Mandatory RIP Red Onion post. Best Cuban place in Houston history. 

There are ways to do “cheaper” El T runs, but it ain’t happening on a Friday or Saturday night. I grew up in the suburbs. Los Cucos and Pappasito’s for homecoming is the best we had. When I moved inside the loop after college, El T hit different. Say what you want about them, but I’ve never had a bad meal there. 

Bill, I respect your methodology, but Tex Mex should be measured by their food. For me, that is enchiladas, chips and salsa and price. After all, Tex Mex is the food of the people, not yuppie fucktards. So if it has cheese, I am siding with Teo and Lopez (but at Lopez I almost always order the carnitas). For real deal you gotta speak decent Spanish and want awesome tacos, I go to Gerardo’s (dos tacos de barbacoa y uno de carnitas, todos de harina con cilantro y cebolla).

But you do you and go to El Tiempo with Brant that’s cool, because it still pays the wages of Mexicanos in the kitchen and I won’t hate on that. Just don’t go eat there then vote on building a border wall.

Mandatory RIP Red Onion post. Best Cuban place in Houston history. 

There are ways to do “cheaper” El T runs, but it ain’t happening on a Friday or Saturday night. I grew up in the suburbs. Los Cucos and Pappasito’s for homecoming is the best we had. When I moved inside the loop after college, El T hit different. Say what you want about them, but I’ve never had a bad meal there. 

I think the first and last time I ate at the red onion was in 2001. I was unimpressed. Full disclosure, 4 of my primos are hondureños. I had some amazing meals the month I spent in Honduras when I was 14. I understand my standards might be high. That summer introduced me to the power and deliciousness of pickled red onions.

I've tried hard to love Teo.  Sometimes, love doesn't take.  I like Teo.  I really like it.  

But Goode co cantina, pappasitos, and el tiempo all more expensive and all beat it.  

Is red onion same thing as cafe red onion on Kirby and 59?  That and America's were my date spots in late 90s.  Loved cafe red onion

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

I've tried hard to love Teo.  Sometimes, love doesn't take.  I like Teo.  I really like it.  

But Goode co cantina, pappasitos, and el tiempo all more expensive and all beat it.  

Is red onion same thing as cafe red onion on Kirby and 59?  That and America's were my date spots in late 90s.  Loved cafe red onion

I Love You Latino GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

- Sylvia’s (borderline, but it’s good)

Setting aside numerous other issues I had with your post, really?

It’s not close to good. It’s not even close to average. I’ve never understood the like of of the place. It’s been borderline inedible every time someone dragged me there.

I’ve had mixed experiences with the teo on airline, but the one on Irvington has never disappointed. Lupe and Goode Co Cantina are probably my favorites, but I’m starting to come around to El T. Chavez is my go to for the “cheap” tex mex. We’re also pretty close to Valencia’s so we end up going there occasionally. I think it’s the same people that run Cyclone… not bad. For tacos, La Lupita on Pinemont never disappoints.