Breakfast places

Smax

How central?  Why type of breakfast style (American, tex-mex, french, weird?).  I only ask for specifics because it's the one meal I get to still eat out with frequency between little kids and Covid.  And I work/volunteer central so there ain't much I don't know inside and out between Mopac, Ben White, East 183, and 45th

I said that to ward off those saying things in Round Rock or cedar park so central ish.

I'm going to in and of Austin over the next few weeks with people who have never been here so a variety is good, no chains like first watch or kl

Arturo's Underground Cafe, off Guadalupe and 17th, in the north section of downtown.

I had no idea this place existed until a few months ago when I was looking for a breakfast spot I hadn't been to and it came up in a Yelp search.  Apparently it's been around since 1996.  Really great breakfast food.  It doesn't serve beer or liquor if you were looking for a bloody or other adult breakfast beverage.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I love Arturo's, although it is still a clusterfuck to get to because of all that construction with that hotel and re-do of El Mercado.  Like you literally have to do an obstacle course to get through the alley onto the sidewalk and into that little front door.  But it's worth it.  Along Tex-Mex lines, I love Mi Madre's on Manor (though pricey).  El Chile/El Chilito in that area as well.  Star Seed's cafe on IH-35 access road still delivers after all these years though it's not the greasy (literally and figuratively) spoon it used to be.  I Red River Cafe is back to its roots by north end of campus and is great tradtional fare.  As is Counter Cafe on north tip of the Drag.  

Downtown, IMO, starts and ends with Biderman's .  But it's closed forever now.  The 1883 cafe (IIRC) inside Driskill is a favorite for breakfast if somebody else is paying and would appreciate the old Texas elegance of the first floor (complete with homeless vomit).  I hate to admit it but other than Phoebe's, most good downtown (proper downtown) breakfast joints are in hotels.  We'll cover near east and near south Austin next...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

How have Juan in a Million or Joe's Bakery not yet entered this conversation?

I love Juan's, was just there last month.  I consider it relatively central, and easily accessible...but many do not consider that far on Chavez to be central.  The same people of course though who advertise KB Homes developments in Leander as "Just minutes from downtown!"  I was starting, much like Costanza looking for a parking space, in a tight loop around the CBD and working out in concentric circles.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:32 AM, hornian said:

The breakfast at La Cocina de Consuela is so good it makes me forgive the shitty parking.

I've only been there for lunch once, and I had the tortilla soup, which was above-average.  The breakfast menu looks good.  I may have to try it since it's in walking distance from my house and I can avoid said shitty parking.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I've only been there for lunch once, and I had the tortilla soup, which was above-average.  The breakfast menu looks good.  I may have to try it since it's in walking distance from my house and I can avoid said shitty parking.

The breakfast burritos are the size of 2-3 regular breakfast tacos. Keep that in mind, and don't over order. Or do. Just know what you're doing. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

How are the migas?  I am an unabashed migas fanatic.  I think this just reinforces my gringoness.

They are great, but don't sleep on the chilaquiles. 

4 hours ago, Bolero88 said:

They make good food in general. Love to eat there when they are open. 

Truth. I've tried to go a couple of times when they should be open, but were randomly closed. One of them led me to eat at La Mancha - which I posted about on another thread here, which made me decide to never go to La Mancha again. 

Biderman's is alive and well on Far West, and is a good choice for a nearly-classic take on a Jewish deli, if the trip NW of downtown isn't an issue.
Stopped by here for lunch yesterday, deli melt pastrami and swiss on rye. Not bad, the place was kind of filthy though, makes me miss Kenny and Ziggys in Houston

Thanks to all for the recs, seems my stay in Austin will be extended because of work, good as I haven't been back here except a night or two here and there in about 10 years so I'll be going through this subforum.

5 minutes ago, Smax said:

Stopped by here for lunch yesterday, deli melt pastrami and swiss on rye. Not bad, the place was kind of filthy though, makes me miss Kenny and Ziggys in Houston

Thanks to all for the recs, seems my stay in Austin will be extended because of work, good as I haven't been back here except a night or two here and there in about 10 years so I'll be going through this subforum.

Love Kenny and Ziggys -- haven't been there since they moved their shop to the old Luby's in the Galleria area.

On 2/10/2023 at 3:56 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

How have Juan in a Million or Joe's Bakery not yet entered this conversation?

As I was saying:

Joe's Bakery in Austin wins James Beard Foundation 'America's Classics' award

The foundation said one of the reasons that cemented Joe's as an Austin staple is its firm sense of community.

https://www.kvue.com/article/life/food/joes-bakery-austin-james-beard-award/269-e48074f0-a7aa-4ca5-985e-c5eeea9da6d8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 3/28/2024 at 7:04 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

We're heading over for the Texas Relays tomorrow.  I think I'll give Counter Cafe a go on Saturday morning.

Skip the pancakes and order the hamburger, regular fries.